Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Bye Bye Classic Rock: DC Radio Goes Green

The dominos keep toppling on Washington radio. The death of classical WGMS last month brought the area George 104, the third FM station in the area playing some form of classic rock (Sunday's Listener column is a closer look at George--for a preview of the column, see the jump of this blog item.)

Today, the area's pure classic rocker, 94.7 The Arrow, was killed off to make way for something called 94.7 The Globe, the first station in Washington since WHFS to adopt an alternative rock sound. The new station itself is explicitly making the comparison to the region's once-beloved alternative rocker, telling listeners in an on-air promotion that the new Globe will sound like "WHFS circa 1985."

In radio industry parlance, the new station is a blend of two formats--Triple A, or Adult Album Alternative (like the old WHFS), and Modern Adult Contemporary (like Mix 107.3)--with a smattering of the old 60s and 70s classic rock. What does that sound like? Tom Petty, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Mathews Band, Talking Heads, The Clash, U2, Gnarls Barkley. Station manager Michael Hughes says The Globe's playlist is three times as long as The Arrow's was. And in an on-air promotion, Hughes promises that the new station will eschew "cheesy music" such as Madonna and Boy George--a direct slap at George 104, which sports a mix of rock and pop from the 70s and 80s, with a smattering of dance and R&B tunes.

The CBS-owned station is going without deejays for a week, but some of its former voices will then return: Cerphe, Weasel, Schelby and Mark Stevens.

The new station's big gimmick is the notion that it is radio's first "green" station. The station will be "part of the solution," deejay Cerphe says in an on-air promo. "Radio's changed and not always for the better." So The Globe seeks to attract a younger, environmentally-conscious generation with a green message, a longer playlist, music that hasn't until now played on Washington radio, and rhetoric that rejects corporate radio's emphasis on heavily-researched formats. (Corporate radio periodically has some success in coopting social rebellion, though sometimes the corporate version makes you wince: In the early 70s, ABC responded to the flowering of underground FM rock stations by creating something called LOVE, a network of stations featuring the album rock of the time as deejayed by a minister-turned-spacey poet dubbed Brother Love. It didn't exactly fly.)

The station's nascent web site announces the new emphasis, and a statement from the station lists some measures The Globe is taking to show its commitment to environmental health:

--Using renewable energy to supply power to the station's 50,000 watt signal and using hybrid station vehicles;

--In-studio artists will perform in The Globe's Custom Greenhouse outfitted with low voltage lighting and recycled flooring;

--Annual Earth Day concert event;

--Station will create promotional campaigns around socially-conscious events such as Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Coachella;

--Station appearances will be branded "Go Green With The Globe" and provide listeners with information on environmental leadership and energy conservation; WARW will also host events encouraging recycling, tree planting and use of green products.

The green theme immediately drew fire from public radio executives, who in many cities have been more supportive of the Triple A format than commercial radio. The closest such station to Washington is WTMD in Towson, Md., which can be heard on 89.7 FM up toward Baltimore or, for those few who have HD digital radios, on WAMU's second channel at 88.5 FM in Washington. WTMD's manager, Stephen Yasko, argues that "Public radio is the authentic green radio network and not the corporate hacks at CBS." He wonders if CBS isn't just "pandering to the liberal Washington crowd."

A public station in Pittsburgh stakes its place as the nation's first certifiably "green" voice. WYEP's building is entirely powered by wind, with flooring made from recycled material or a combination of linseed oil and flour. Almost all of the "lumber" in the building is actually made of wheat and many of the sound panels in the studios are made of recycled blue jeans. In addition, the station has aired a locally produced program on the environment, the Allegheny Front, for 15 years.

Whatever station wins the title of greenest, the trend is clear: Embracing environmental consciousness is good business.

And a switch in classical stations has pushed Washington FM stations into a new era, pushing out the sounds of the 60s and early 70s as stations try to capture the ears of listeners who grew up in the 80s and 90s.

Below is an advance look at Sunday's The Listener column:

George is a 44-year-old white guy who lives in the suburbs and likes Foreigner, Journey, Billy Idol and David Bowie. When George was in high school, he loathed disco and the soft soul sounds of the '70s.

Our mythical George and people like him have themselves a new radio station. "George 104" took the place of classical WGMS last month and bills itself as the sounds of "the '70s, '80s and whatever we want." If the music now playing on 104.1 FM sounds similar to what's on three other stations in town, that's because, well, it is.

George, like stations elsewhere that go by names such as Jack, Bob, Ben and even Doug, is the radio industry's attempt to rise to the challenge posed by iPods, downloading and the fact that young people don't rely on their radios to hear their favorite songs anymore.

These stations -- using a format known in the radio industry as adult hits -- offer a greatly expanded playlist as an enticement to listeners who've already downloaded the songs they know they like. "You can listen all day and we'll never repeat a song. No corporate playlists, no rules, it's nice," say the canned announcements on George. (The station, for now, has no deejays, just wall-to-wall music.)

But George is very much a corporate product, created by the same people who built similar stations in Phoenix, St. Louis and San Francisco for the same owner, Bonneville International Corp. (The Washington Post has an agreement to provide programming to Bonneville's station WTWP.)

"This has been a proven format for us," says Joel Grey, architect of the "George" sound and vice president and program director of the Peak, Bonneville's first adult-hits station, in Phoenix. "Some of these songs can be heard on a variety of other stations in Washington, but our box is bigger: This is a 1,500-song library" instead of the 300 or so songs played on George's primary competitors.

George is trying to win listeners in the 35-54 age bracket, which is also the target demographic of two other stations that play similar music, classic rock 94.7 the Arrow (owned by CBS) and classic hits BIG 100.3 (Clear Channel). Mix 107.3 (ABC), which traffics in '80s and '90s hits as well as current songs, aims at a similar but slightly younger audience.

So why add another station with a similar format in the same market, when there are so many other genres of music that can't be heard on the radio? George is aimed at the demographic that advertisers most covet, and Bonneville believes the larger playlist offers enough of a distinction to beat the competition.

"If you took BIG, Arrow, Mix and WASH and threw them in a blender, that would be George," Grey says. "We'll go from James Taylor from the early '70s to Daniel Powter from 2005. The other stations will play ZZ Top like us, but they won't also play Madonna or Prince like we will."

Each station also seeks a different blend of men and women in its audience: Arrow appeals to a more heavily male listener base, BIG aims at an equal split between the sexes, and George is promising advertisers an audience that will have somewhat more women.

Two years ago, Mix made a move similar to what George is doing, greatly expanding its playlist to include about 1,000 songs from the 1970s through the '90s and calling its new approach "the best of . . . everything." But Mix went only halfway toward adopting the concept known as "Jack," which started in Canada in 2003 and eschewed deejays to give listeners the sense that the station was a music machine, delivering discoveries from the vaults of pop history.

Mix instead retained its personalities, such as morning man Jack Diamond. And over time, Mix has moved back toward where it started, with a greater emphasis on current hits.

That opened the way for both George and Big 100.3, which dropped its oldies format last April to focus on the '70s and '80s songs that mean so much to today's 40-somethings.

In a several-hour period during George's first week on the air, the station played songs that debuted from 1973 to 2005, but by far the largest number of songs were from between 1979 and 1981.

"Twenty-five-to-34-year-olds didn't grow up with that music, and they may decide after a while that they've heard enough of 'Jessie's Girl,' " the 1981 Rick Springfield hit, says Sean Ross, vice president of Edison Media Research and a close observer of the Washington radio scene. "But 35-to-44-year-olds may never get sick of hearing 'Living on a Prayer' [Bon Jovi, 1986] or '1999' [Prince, 1983]."

Actually, it's not likely that "1999" will air very often on George, which so far has played very few R&B hits or dance tunes. Grey says the George format does include some crossover and dance hits, but executives at other radio companies say what they've heard of George so far sounds as though it's been designed to emphasize rock.

"D.C. was very much a rock town for a while in the early '80s," Ross says, "so there's a reason for this emphasis. You can do this format with or without disco and R&B." Some Jack-like stations mix "More Than a Feeling" (Boston, 1976) with "Got to Be Real" (Cheryl Lynn, 1978), while others are programmed on the assumption that that blend would drive away white suburbanites who grew up despising disco.

The new George 104 and similar stations "get a lot of attention for their variety, but it's really classic rock for people who grew up between Boston and Guns N' Roses," says Ross, who graduated from Maryland's Sandy Spring Friends School in 1979, when "there was a big Pat Benatar and AC/DC thing going on in Washington."

Radio executives say it's not likely that Arrow, Big and George will all thrive in their current formats. In many cities, the deeper playlist approach scores well in the ratings for a year or two, then fades as listeners tire of the music.

If any of the classic rock stations here falters, the next version of oldies radio is waiting in the wings: Some Clear Channel stations are experimenting with a new twist on old hits: the greatest party hits, a collection of songs stretching from the early '60s through today, but focused on the 1970s.

By Marc Fisher |  February 2, 2007; 5:41 PM ET
Previous: Last Days of the American Empire, Part 463: The Pet Eternal Trust | Next: An Officer--And An Ungentle Man

Comments

I don't care much for MIX 107.3 anymore. They should have left a good thing alone. If I do want to listen to classic rock, 106.9 The Eagle, based in Hagerstown, plays some good classic rock but the morning DJ is a bit too much of a blowhard that seems to think the rest of the world wants to listen to his anti-everything beliefs.

Posted by: WaCo | February 2, 2007 7:49 PM

I'm very disappointed to lose the creative classic rock programming exhibited in the past few years by 94.7. I really enjoyed the cool covers and the recordings from the archives and especially the nightly Box Set prepared so thoroughly and enthusiastically by Weasel that often ran to almost two full hours. And I owe great thanks for the excellent seats my wife and I will have for The Who show next month, owing to my membership in the Capital Club. Fond farewell to 94.7 Classic Rock.

Posted by: Jay | February 2, 2007 9:49 PM

94.7 will be greatly missed on my commute to and from school. I think The Globe is a big mistake on CBS's part. The younger audiences that CBS wants to draw in with The Globe are too busy listening to DC 101, who already play songs from the 80s and 90s. The Arrow was the only pure classic rock station that one could listen to without hearing ultra-pop as in BIG 100.3 and George. Unless Cerphe, Weasel, Schelby, and Stevens are largely unchanged, free radio will have lost at least one of the highly coveted "younger audience."

Posted by: Sam | February 3, 2007 9:06 AM

94.7 - WTF. What a shock on my ride home last night! Listened to it a little bit this morning and came to the same conclusion - the new format SUX. I've been flipping around this morning looking for a new station and giving George 104 a shot - oh well, ClassicRock will be missed.

Posted by: Larry | February 3, 2007 10:37 AM

I AGREE WITH SAM. IF I WANTED TO LISTEN TO DC-101, I WOULD!! ALL 94.7 HAD TO DO WAS PLAY MORE MUSIC LIKE XM's "DEEP TRACKS" STATION, MOSTLY SONGS FROM THE 60's & 70's WITH NEWER SONGS MIXED IN. I HAVE XM THRU MY DIRECT TV AND LISTEN ONLY TO DEEP TRACKS BECAUSE THEY PLAY THE OTHER 11 OR SO SONGS ON THE ALBUMS YOU NEVER HEAR.COMMERCIAL RADIO HAS REALLY GONE DOWN HILL ONLY BECAUSE THE NEW MUSIC SUCKS, AND WE ARE TIRED OF HEARING THE SAME SONGS YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR..

Posted by: BRIAN S | February 3, 2007 10:54 AM

I LOVE Globe. It has me listening to the radio again, I had it on for several hours without changing the station once.

Posted by: janette | February 3, 2007 11:15 AM

I'll give the Globe a chance because it's keeping Weasel and Cerphe, with hopes it will capture some of the spirit of the WHFS glory days...in other words, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds and Marshall Crenshaw (gotta have my "Cynical Girl"!).

Posted by: Vincent | February 3, 2007 12:40 PM

I don't think 94.7 is going after the same listeners that 101.1 does (or 94.7 did in its previous format). They're going after adults , late 20s to early 40s, who don't want to hear the same "classic rock" that radio has been playing for the past 20 years and that their boomer parents are no longer listening to on the radio. They're also not going after the audience of DC101, i.e. teens and young adults that find Eliott's cackling to be funny and enjoy the nu-metal and "alternative" acts that the station plays. This is a niche that has been lacking in the DC market, kind of filled by stations such as WXPN in philly or indie103.1 in LA. Hopefully, it'll word and stick here for a bit.

Posted by: MPC | February 3, 2007 2:37 PM

94.7 was the only station in the DC area I actually liked. I will miss it.

I would be very surprised if Weasel and Cerph are still with the globe six months from now as these formats, Bob, George, etc. seem to be structured to operate without DJs.

As to the allusions to WHFS circa 1985? I spent a few hours giving the globe a chance this morning and quite frankly, I don't hear it.

Posted by: Ed | February 3, 2007 2:55 PM

Well, I've listened to it for a couple of hours now, and I say so far, so good. This is a pretty small sampling, but I really like the mix I've heard. I haven't heard Led Zepplin or Boston, so that's good. I don't think it sounds like DC101 though. I'm not sure about the earnest "save the world" angle, but OK.

I assume that Mark Stevens is half of Stevens & Medley. Anyone know if Medley is staying on?

Posted by: Meredith | February 3, 2007 4:20 PM

Do they really think that people are going to listen to the radio station because the station manager drives a hybrid? What's powering the transmitter? Squirrels in cages?

Posted by: Annandale | February 3, 2007 5:20 PM

I was as surprised as everyone last night hearing of the change. I thought that for the past few months, 94.7 had really changed. I thought they were playing too much Elton, Billy Joel, etc. but recently they got more into the deeper cuts. I had been dissapointed with the morning team (I refused to listen in the morning) and I am glad they are gone. I will give the new Green a shot and am happy to see them keep the 4 personalities they plan on keeping. I listen to Jack, but do not care for the lack of on air "listenable" personalities.

Posted by: Dan | February 3, 2007 5:52 PM

The old 94.7 had a pretty terrible variety (Pink Floyd much? How about Led Zeppelin?) but I don't know about this new one yet. They do have more variety but now there is no real "classic rock" station in DC (I'm not counting 100.3 because they play oldies, not classic rock). And I really enjoyed the Box Sets, Eclectic Lunch, and 30 Years in 30 Days that old 94.7 had. And if the new station doesn't stop these 40-second between-song ads for themselves I am going to punch a hole through my car radio.

Posted by: Kiera | February 3, 2007 6:37 PM

I listened to the new Globe for a few hours today. Heard tons of tunes that took me back to HFS glory days, plus more good stuff. And I'm happy to hear Weasel is still a part of it.

Posted by: green | February 3, 2007 7:07 PM

We all have presets on our car radios and some of the radios in our homes. If we get sick of one station we can move to another. We have CDs, we have MP3 players. For news we have WTOP. Eveyone stop complaining, think outside the box, and listen to what you love to listen to.

Posted by: Chuck | February 3, 2007 9:59 PM

I dig The Globe concept. I don't dig listening to their promise to leave out sissy rock, then hearing The Fray. (It's an OK song - but it's not rock. I'll tune in to MIX when I'm in that sorta mood). 94.7 still has U2 dominating their waves (a sure sign Schelby's still around), but now a lot of Coldplay and Dave Matthews has joined the ranks.

If they're going to rock - let's rock. There's gotta be radio-friendly Phish tunes, or Ben Harper, or Old 97s, or Spoon that could add personality to the same rock DC's heard over the past however many years.

Posted by: Rock with Personality | February 4, 2007 1:44 AM

Hmmm ... yeah ... I can't imagine the same station playing "Cynical Girl" and Dave Matthews. (Not since WHFS circa 1995, I mean.) I'm glad they're keeping those DJs, but for now I'm sticking with XM and my go-to Web options.

MPC, I'd add 94.9 in San Diego. I was out there for a vacation a couple years ago and that was the last terrestrial station I actually enjoyed.

Posted by: Tom | February 4, 2007 2:20 AM

Classic rock 94.7 was the only station that I liked. It's extensive playlist was one to be envied. Every day in the car I listened to it, and only it. Now it has been replaced by another station that pays very little good music. Because of this, 94.7 has lost yet another dedicated listener.

Posted by: Ari | February 4, 2007 10:39 AM

I hope the new station will avoid overplaying Queen and Pink Floyd. I don't think the station needed to make such a dramatic change...just playing some deeper cuts would have helped. You would almost know that everytime 94.7 would say they were playing the Eagles it would be Hotel California they would play. There are so many great classic rock songs that you don't have to keep playing the same ones! I really don't think we need modern adult contempory.

Posted by: Nancy | February 4, 2007 10:54 AM

94.7's change in format has me torn. Ever since I discovered KMTT 103.7 in Seattle decades ago I had hoped the western D.C. suburban geography (Northern Virginia, Rockville, Gaithersburg, etc.) would gain a station broadcasting a similar AAA format. When WRNR in Annapolis adopted the format I was initially excited, until I realized their signal at 103.1 was too weak in D.C. and the Virginia 'burbs, and completely out-shouted by a Country-Western station in the I-270 corridor.

On the other hand, like many of those who have already posted to this article, I greatly enjoyed 94.7's Eclectic Lunch and Weasel's Boxed Set programs. I won't miss the limited playlist, but other features of the previous format could still work. Since Weasel is an alumnus of WHFS's previous alternative format (which I also enjoyed until they not only changed formats, but languages!) I'll bet he could still produce the Boxed Set with 94.7's new playlist. Likewise there is no reason Schelby's Eclectic Lunch could not embrace alternative music lovers, and 30 Years in 30 Days and ticket giveaways need not be limited to the classic rock of the 70's and 80's. And if they threw in some of the new releases so us old-fogey baby boomers could keep up with our kids, I would happily divide all my listening time between WETA and WARW.

Posted by: Tom | February 4, 2007 11:16 AM

I like the new playlist. In addition to good selections from more recent music, they are playing deeper tracks from the classic rock era. I'm glad to hear the old staff will remain. Weasel in particular will be great with the newer material with his WHFS background. The "green" concept is a bit preachy, but I suppose it's better to at least pay lip service to a worthwhile idea than ignore it altogether.

Posted by: Nick | February 4, 2007 4:39 PM

The new 94.7 sucks bad. What idiot came up with this format? At least with Classic Rock you had a guaranteed bunch of loyal listeners. No more. DC needs a classic rock station with Cerphe and Weasel and Stones, Led Zepplin, Hendrix and the Who.
Not a a station for Birkenstock wearing leg shaving males who drive hybrids, help desk adminstrators or are scared of HArleys with drag pipes! What the marketing types missed was that the ole 94.7 listeners probably had the highest median income of any of the stations in DC. All those tradesman are making 6 figures plus and those of us in professional jobs are also making that. Green is great but who really cares. We want good music not political philosophy from a bunch of marketing types!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 5, 2007 7:31 AM

The new Globe format sux...guess I'll be using my MP3 player more, and the radio for traffic and weather only...so long Arrow, loved you while you were here - all the way back to the days of Harris in the Morning!

Posted by: Dale | February 5, 2007 8:30 AM

Ultimately I think that what a lot of these stations changes will do is push $$$ and ears to satellite radio.

Posted by: crc | February 5, 2007 9:39 AM

Love the new 94.7 sound! I hope they keep the box set and eclectic lunch - both excellent features that kept the station fresh. And I'm really pleased that they are keeping on the best of the their DJs. Seems like the best of all possible worlds to me.

Posted by: Christine | February 5, 2007 10:11 AM

I'm so honked off about the change.

I really thought Stevens and Medley were quite funny, and to be perfectly honest, they're as intelligent as they are talented.

I had the privilege of meeting them in the fall of '05, and they were lots of fun to talk to about a variety of things.

Also, I used to listen to 94.7 for their traffic and weather, and now I can't do that because it doesn't go with their format.

Ugh. Oh well, if the press release is to be believed, at least Stevens will be coming back...I'll miss Medley, though.

Posted by: Sudiegirl | February 5, 2007 10:31 AM

Glad to hear the old schoolers of Washington Rock Radio will be coming back.... Cerphe and Weasel, and Schelby too.

Marc Fisher I'm curious why you haven't mentioned "Jack" 102.7 in your conversation about this radio format, especially in your 2/4 Sunday column. I know it's a Baltimore station but I live in Alexandria and it comes in clearly for me. Certainly it deserves at least a mention.

Also, your Sunday 2/4 column made no mention of the 94.7 change -- in fact you referenced the "old" 94.7; and as of today 2/5 I have found nothing in the Post print editions about the change. What gives? Very disappointed in your coverage.

Posted by: JenH | February 5, 2007 10:41 AM

I LOVED Classic Rock 94.7 - not only the music, but all the DJ's, from the morning crew, who never failed to make me laugh, to everyone else throughout the day and night, who were all personable and fun. And, unlike the 98 Rock & DC 101 DJ's, I could listen to them with the kids around. I agree it would be good to hear deeper cuts, sometimes FM now sounds more like AM - a more commercial, less 'free style' format (not sure it that's really the right term, but you know what I mean). However, for now I'm saying good bye to 94.7 - along with Jack & George - and will continue my search for a good station with fun DJ's.

Posted by: Lynda | February 5, 2007 11:10 AM

I found out about the change this morning when the clock radio came on. For the moment, I don't mind the format (once I got over the inital WTF?). However, I fear it won't be long until 94.7 is once again rotating only 300 songs. Maybe a slightly different mix, but a limited palate, nonetheless.

Posted by: WMA | February 5, 2007 11:14 AM

94.7 saw its market share steadily decline due to the deterioration of its own 'Classic Rock' mantra (sorry Cerphe, Pearl Jam is not filed here). In its new format, 94.7 can only continue this decline now that the Globe's vague and ponderous playlist spans as many decades as it does genres and tastes. While 'green' and 'global' may be virtuous ideals, universalism is not consistent with the reasons for which one flips on the radio. Yes, we all have diverse tastes, but like a casserole with BOTH chocolate chips and onions, we do not indulge them all at once.

A true and pure 'Classic Rock' (Album rock from 1965-80) station will never top a given market, but it will retain a strong, loyal base with huge purchasing power quotient and an easy, targeted pitch for ad salesforces.

I lament 94.7's lack of dedication to the music in favor of devotion to a nebulous concept spawned from the ugliest group of the modern era, the focus group.

Posted by: JC | February 5, 2007 11:23 AM

I've actually been quite plesed with the new mix. I still hear plenty of the older stuff, and they seem to mixing in soem stuff I haven't heard much of before. I'm willing to give them some time, especially if they're doing what I think they're doing, reviving WHFS.

Anyone noticed that "WHFS" in Baltimore no longer plays music or has DJs? They're al lcomign back down here just in time for an HFStival anouncement. I think CBS has realized that "WHFS" is a gold-plated name that means serious money in the bank if they do this right.

Posted by: EricS | February 5, 2007 11:42 AM

I could not beleive the music that was playing on 94.7 when I arrived at work this morning. I was hoping the radio was on the wrong station but it was not. I grew up in the 80's and this crap you are playing now is not what any of my friends listen to. I will miss the classic rock as I say goodbye to 94.7 and the new garbage they are playing.

Posted by: Jared | February 5, 2007 11:54 AM

hmm. "the globe" was playing promos and dead air for me in drive time this morning.... time to change the preset i guess.

Posted by: amaryllis | February 5, 2007 11:56 AM

I was startled to hear the Globe's "World Class Rock" on-air promo; it's the identical promo used by KBCO in Boulder, CO, which was one of my favorite stations when I lived there (and to which I still listen when I visit). I'm looking at 'BCO's playlist as I write this; it runs from the Killers, to the Beatles, to Jack Johnson, to James Taylor, to the Damnwells, to Beck, to Big Head Todd and the Monsters, to Traffic, to Gnarls Barkley. If the Globe (which is undoubtedly owned and operated by the same Clear Channel behemoth responsible for 'BCO) has a playlist anything like the Boulder station's, and adopts its policy of introducing new artists and featuring live on-air performances, I'll be ecstatically happy. (I particularly hope that like 'BCO, the Globe eschews the cliched "morning zoo" format and uses one drive-time DJ that sounds like an adult.) If not . . . I won't bother listening.

Posted by: DMS | February 5, 2007 11:59 AM

94.7 is much better now. Stevens and Medley were nothing but obnoxious, and their playlist was WAY too narrow. I listened to 94.7 last night and heard Bob Marley, which is something you never would have heard before. The new format is much better.

Posted by: Bill | February 5, 2007 12:26 PM

Simply put - I'm going elsewhere! Stevens and Medley in the morning was the only way to make the long commute to work enjoyable! They were raucous, unpredictable and downright unabashed at poking fun at anything and everyone.

Classic Rock was it! Period! Now you get some new exec trying to make a name for themselves and "improve" the station when all they really did was to make it suck!

Color me gone as I'm voting with my radio dial and going elsewhere for they have lost a loyal listener!

Posted by: Tom | February 5, 2007 12:27 PM

So, think about why there's no more classic rock 94.7.
- First, it's a pretty crowded field, with BIG 100.3 playing a basically identical format. You can flip past George and Mix for a chance at similar programming, and even DC101 plays plenty of Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top and other classic rock staples.
- Second, Stephens & Medley don't (didn't?) do shock/loud as well as Elliott, don't do folksy as well as Diamond, don't do news/radio/current events as well as anyone, etc. They are also clearly a step down from good ol' Harris in the morning (and Dave the Predictor). In other words, the morning show is the worst of all worlds.
- Third, since jocks like Weasel are a pleasure to hear (who else could make a CSNY set feel profound), Globe is making a good decision to keep them.

...so what about "world class rock"? I stream KFOG (world class rock from San Francisco) and like the format a lot. THere are plenty of "new" artists I wouldn't know about if I didn't stream (Aimee Mann, Luce, Snow Patrol), and plenty of "classic" cuts/artists I'd forgotten about and weren't featured on Arrow. So maybe give them a chance.

Posted by: RickD | February 5, 2007 1:17 PM

The new 94.7 format SUX.

Posted by: Charlie | February 5, 2007 1:35 PM

The new 94.7 format is incoherent. Classic rock fans will leave in droves. I signed up for Sirius and am not looking back. It is worth the $12/month to be able to put on real classic rock (featuring incredible deep cuts).

Posted by: Greenies | February 5, 2007 2:16 PM

Yikes--if you really listen to BIG and to 94.7, you would see their playlists only have a handful of songs in common.

I will miss the classic classic rock format, but I knew it's days were numbered. After all, it hadn't changed since I was listening in college 20 years ago. There is something sacrosanct and comforting about mirroring the high points of 60s and 70s bands, throwing in some newer stuff from those who truly classify (Bruce, U2).

That said, I'm going to keep an open mind about the Globe, now that I have read more about what they are doing.

(And I'm delighted that FINALLY a radio station is changing formats without dumping all of its staff! Gotta support that unusual commitment. [Still missing Goldie and Kim, plus Ira and Murphy & Cash over at BIG...]

Posted by: pfitz | February 5, 2007 2:22 PM

94.7 was the ONLY music based station that I listened to. Now it has sneakily been replaced with a new format-yet another tired old format that I could listen to in any other area of the country. Green is good-don't get me wrong; but we hear about it everywhere these days. I don't need it stuffed down my throat when it's music I've come to listen to! Come on, I'm not giving up my muscle car for a hybrid anytime soon, so get off my back! What a lousy excuse for a station change. Because of this 94.7 has lost yet ANOTHER very dedicated listener.

Posted by: Pamela S. | February 5, 2007 3:20 PM

Bye Bye to the last of the Classic Rock stations.

Attempting to listen to "The Globe" this morning on the way to work made me furious. Commercials, commercials, and mor commercials - and music that sucks, not to mention the lack of a DJ that appeared to know what he was doing. The long silences between songs and commercials (or in the middle of them) forced me to flip back and forth to other stations.

The Globe acts as though they "thunk up" the idea of the "green" format - which has nothing to do with my listening pleasure.

Perhaps I will listen when Cerphe, Weasel, Schelby and Mark Stevens return next week, but if the new format is as bad as it was this morning, they have lost another listener.

Posted by: Michaela | February 5, 2007 3:26 PM

I listen to 94.7 all day at work, and was shocked to hear them abrubtly change formats MID-DAY.

WTF, there wasn't even an announcement ahead of time that the station was going to change.

I like the fact that they are going "green," but I agree with an earlier poster about the playlist. I thought I'd be hearing some Pearl Jam, STP, and Soundgarden along with all my classic rock favorites - and what do I get?

Just today, fraking No Doubt, Nickelback, and KT Tunstall.

Terrible. I would listen to MIX 107.3 if I want to hear that junk. Looks like I'm going back to listening to my XM Radio and the library of songs I have on my computer.

Posted by: Sad Rockville Resident | February 5, 2007 3:59 PM

guess i'll have to learn to sign !!!

Posted by: dave | February 5, 2007 4:04 PM

Bill said, "...I listened to 94.7 last night and heard Bob Marley, which is something you never would have heard before..."

ACTUALLY, I have listened to 94.7 for years while at work...and I have heard Bob AT LEAST once a day.

Something you would have never heard before? That would be Nickelback. And I've heard that crap on just about every other radio station in this town for years.

I think this change affects the daily listener more than anyone. I actually thought The Arrow had been improving their songlists and programming over the last few years.

It's a travesty that I now have to hear "Lump" by The Presidents of the United States of America, alongside classics like "Eleanor Rigby," "Stairway to Heaven," and "Hurricane."

I'm holding out for now (just to hear how the on-air personalities deal with the switch), but I predict that my ears will abandon the station (just as the DJs eventually will) within a week or so.

Posted by: GREEN = GOOD...GLOBE = BAD | February 5, 2007 4:16 PM

Except for "specials," like the Box Set, Cool Covers, and Eclectic Lunch, I thought The Arrow's playlist was way too short and boring.
Hopefully, Weasel, Schelby, and Cerphe will have enough freedom to make a good station out of The Globe. I'll give it a chance.
I was glad to hear Undergroung Garage, last night.

Posted by: Giles | February 5, 2007 4:33 PM

Whoever asked the general listening public what they wanted to hear?
This new wave is like the time the Baltimore Colts disappeared in the night without any warning.
I want my own station and not to share a station with a 16 year old kid. I want my kind of music not this ipod method of broadcasting everything under the sun on one station. Give me classic rock or give me new rock, but don't mix the styles.
Are you trying to unite the generations?
There will always be differences in musical tastes of different generations.

Posted by: Sloot Latner | February 5, 2007 4:46 PM

I totally agree Sloot.

Unfortunately, I think this may have something to do with me blowing off those radio survey people who called my cell phone 5 times a day.

Maybe I should have put my 2 cents in after all!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 5, 2007 4:53 PM

The new 94.7 is a step in the right direction but does not go far enough to capture what WHFS was. One problem is that WHFS was not a retrospective station like 94.7 seems to be. The old WHFS was part of what was new at the time and not trying to relive the past.

WHFS was truly an alternative, not just a pigeon hole with a label spelled "alternative", to what the big stations like 101.1 were playing over and over. On the new 94.7 we hear a few WHFS oldies from the Cure or the Talking Heads interspersed with Led Zepplin or the Rolling Stones. Back in the day, DC101 gave us all the Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones we could take. WHFS gave us all the "new" music that the big money stations did not seem to want to support.

Some of the comments claim that the new 94.7 is aiming at late 20's to 40's but that doesn't match the data. The new playlist is all the stuff that was new and the staple of college students or recent graduates that would now be in their 40's, 50's, and maybe even 60's. This is geezer music just like the oldies stations that spin Elvis and the Platters for an only slightly oder crowd.

I don't mind reliving the past now and then so the new format on 94.7 is welcome, but if that's what it is going to be, they should give us more. I want to hear more Specials, Sex Pistols, PIL, General Public and less David Bowie, Led Zepplin, and MTV bands. OTOH, isn't there anybody out there interested in edgey new music that isn't part of forumlas for money?

Posted by: 50ish | February 5, 2007 5:05 PM

Ok, they just played that KT Tunstall song - again. That makes 2 so far today.

How can a radio station claim to have beefed up their playlist and incorporate deeper tracks, while repeating songs that have been played about 36 billion times on at least 10 other local stations?

Terrible. Just terrible.

"We don't play Madonna!!!"

"...but we DO play KT Tunstall!!! And multiple times at that!!! Woohoo!!!"

I'd rather hear "Night Moves" by Bob Sieger 10 times a day than hear some modern kiddie pop rock even once.

Posted by: The Globe Hater | February 5, 2007 5:10 PM

KFOG, mentioned earlier, would be a high aspiration for WARW (or whatever their letters will be). KFOG does a good job with new and old music, and knowledgeable, non-obnoxious on-air staff -- Dave Morey, Annalisa, et al. Definitely worth giving their stream a try -- [www.kfog.com]. Wish my frozen a** was back there to listen over the air.

The retention of Cerphe and Weasel raises my hopes for a "world class rock" station here -- we'll see how it goes.

Posted by: Bay Area refugee | February 5, 2007 5:16 PM

The Arrow was the last good radio station in DC. I will miss it...

Posted by: Me | February 5, 2007 5:33 PM

Hey, let's give this new "Globe" a chance.
Since Cerphe and Weasel and, let's hope,
Schelby, will be returning to the airways
soon. there is a chance that we will hear
a lot of good old rock and even some good
new stuff. Let's all try to be a bit positive
and remember that sometimes change is good.

Posted by: Old Lady rock 'n roller | February 5, 2007 5:34 PM

Very disappointing! Heard Janes Addiction 3 of 4 times tuning in. WARW was the comfort station, always playing something familiar without the repeats. The Globe is trying to reach the younger crowd....uhmm, don't they already have 5 stations? Will miss the great music!

Posted by: Sad in NOVA | February 5, 2007 5:52 PM

I would rather stick a needle in my eye than listen to Elliot. I enjoyed my morning drive with Stevens & Medley now I am stuck. No more good stations; thank god for sirius and my ipod. Bye bye 94.7 you will be missed. I can't stand weasel never could but I would put up with his blather for the music, no more.

Posted by: Beth | February 5, 2007 7:06 PM

I'm 23 and I liked 101.1 and 99.1 hfs growing up, and 99.1 is dead. I go to college in the morning, and I HATE... I mean I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE morning shows. DC 101 is, in my opinion, off-air until noon. Who wants to turn on the radio and hear some idiots spew simpleton tomfooleries while the other people in the broadcast room laugh like fat, obnoxious hyenas? I don't.

So I turned to the only station that played good music in the morning, and that was Classic Rock 94.7. There is nothing more satisfying than driving to campus listening to Queen, Pink Floyd, John Mellencamp, Journey, Styx, Bon Jovi, the boss, heck the list goes on and on. I have come to love classic rock.

I hate stations like mix 107.3 because I can't stand girlie music. All female songs are ever about is love this, love that, marriage and cheating this, promiscuety that, oh my heart, my feelings and the butterflies and gumdrops and rainbows... gag me with a spoon.

I suppose I'm just saying, in a quite elaborate fashion, that I miss 99.1, but I miss 94.7 even more, and this new "Globe" station is so blatant in their attempt to grab the nacho eating quasi-80's demographic that it is sad. And as far as being "green," well, I don't care whether you power your station with a coal mine or a thousand hamsters running on wheels... if the music sucks, I'm changing the station.

Posted by: Ben | February 5, 2007 7:14 PM

Oh, and I would like to add that listening to Jack Diamond in the morning is like listening to a Censored version of super family edition of Disney for kids.

Posted by: Ben | February 5, 2007 7:20 PM

I optimistic, although this morning there was more dead air and commercials than music on my way to work. When I did hear music, I was happy to hear something other than Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones (nothing against them, they just got overplayed on Arrow). Instead I heard Nick Lowe, B52s and Elvis Costello! If this really is the rebirth of WHFS of 1985, I'll be a listener for life!

Posted by: Chris | February 5, 2007 7:45 PM

I only learned today that classic rock was replaced by the Globe. My four children and their other two buddies had to listen to my deep wailing/teeth gnashing for thirty minutes as we drove the carpool home from school. I have really treasured the Eclectic Lunch, the Box Sets, the "30 years in 30 days"; the cool, funny, intelligent, and courteous personalities of Shelby, Cerphe, and Weasel. Although I do appreciate the "green" concerns, I very much appreciate the radio personalities and the unusual deep cuts/live cuts they would play. I won't miss the overdose of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, but I do hope very much that the DJs will have freedom to choose cool music and express themselves as they are.

Posted by: Lesley | February 5, 2007 7:48 PM

I was shocked and disappointed to find that 94.7 was now "The Globe". I am glad that Shelby, Cerphe and Weasel will return, but I wonder how long they will stay. Now that I think of it, perhaps I've gotten too complacent about the music I've been listening to. I would really prefer to hear more deeper cuts. I will give "The Globe" a chance next week, but if the music stays like it has been this week, I'm back to my own CD's and the occasional news, traffic and weather report.

Posted by: Tracker | February 5, 2007 7:49 PM

The end of terrestrial radio is near. Radio stations are "flipping" formats all across the country. They are seeking a "younger" demographic. I drive up and down the east coast (New York to east central VA) twice each week and have 5 presets on my radio. All classic rock stations. I have noticed that the stations are almost identical but for the jocks. I'm sure each will disappear (as has "The Arrow" already) within the next few years. The "60's and 70's" listeners are no longer desireable to advertisers. Forever young!

Posted by: sluggonyc | February 5, 2007 8:53 PM

The almighty dollar rules again!!! No one at CBS cares how we, the listeners, feel. I hope to wake up tomorrow and find it was all just a bad dream.

Posted by: Tom | February 5, 2007 9:11 PM

The new 94.7 is better than dead air, but not by much. I like to have the radio on when I drive, and I was always tuned in to The Arrow when I did. I enjoyed the Eclectic Lunch and the Box Set very much. They were fun.

The Globe is boring. I can appreciate that they are green; it's a good thing to be. But being green should not equate to unpalatable pap, any more than eating things that are good for you should mean that every thing you eat tastes like paper.

I'll check them out in a few weeks and see if having live deejays brings some life to the station, but until then, I am leaving my radio turned off. There is nothing out there that I care to listen to.

Posted by: Joanne | February 5, 2007 11:24 PM

I was shocked and dismayed to hear of the format change last night. My first question was where are the personalities. Luckily I've found most will return for a while. I hope that includes Medley. I need the laughter to survive the morning commute.

As far as the format change goes, I vote for the return of the old format with more deep cuts. I was not an HFS fan in the 80s and can't see myself becoming one now.

The Arrow was the best. Big mistake CBS.

Posted by: Jim Gazzale | February 6, 2007 7:37 AM

i give the globe six months ,if that, before they kiss there asses goodby.im glad the paid laughing guys are not going to taint the air waves anymore with what they thought was humor.And that shelby,how korny can you get.Do we still have to listen to her laugh at everything that comes out of her mouth. They should have just gottin rid of the laughing guys and shelby, but keep cerph and weasel,these guys know music. by the way, your new format sucks ass.

Posted by: former listener | February 6, 2007 7:45 AM

I, likewise, was a fan of Stevens and Medley. I hope they'll be back. Their humor was good fun. Eliott is just spiteful garbage. Diamond is too freakin' smarmy for his own good.

Posted by: Joe | February 6, 2007 8:47 AM

I bought my car a year and two weeks ago, and the radio has never been on any channel other than 94.7 The Arrow. The format will be sorely missed, maybe XM will get my vote now...

Posted by: Neil | February 6, 2007 9:47 AM

94.7 The Arrow may have been repetative to a degree, but at least I always knew what I was getting when I tuned in.

I have a whole iTunes library full of different genres which I'll just play on shuffle if I'm not particularly interested in hearing one type. Therefore; I have no reason to listen to The Globe.

The Globe = Yet another forgettable DC radio station. Actually, other than a few songs, it doesn't seem all that different from HOT 99.5......BLECH!!!!

Posted by: globe sucks | February 6, 2007 10:33 AM

The globe isn't bad but no where near is good as the arrow... They talk about age demographic... I am 23 and my favorite station is arrow 94.7... I love classic rock... Looks like I need to download there playlist into my ipod or something... This sucks bring the arrow back...

Posted by: Brian | February 6, 2007 10:49 AM

I heard the song beautiful by James Blunt on my beloved "arrow" yesterday..BEAUTIFUL !!!
I hate the new 94.7. 94.7 WAS an awesome station when it was still the arrow, and was always number one on my presets. Now it's been downgraded to a "if nothing else is on" station. If I wanted to listen to men who should have been born with vaginas sing love songs I would turn on an easy listening station. Classic Rock had soul, it tells stories, and sounds marginally different from one artist to the next. Most music today is the same whiny crap with different artist names and now it's infiltrated what was once my "safe" station. 94.7 the arrow will be greatly missed.

Posted by: Won't make a difference anyway | February 6, 2007 11:41 AM

When I first heard it..I knew somthing was wrong! Green? Jeez..Can we never escape propaganda? I guess I'll be downloading even more. As others have noted, the older songs all have memories for us. The new stuff does not and can not. Goodbye 94.7

Posted by: kieth miller | February 6, 2007 12:43 PM

Goodbye 94.7! Been with you since your beginnings. Been listening to TheGlobe since Friday's HBO-lets-be-rude-and-freak-our-customer-base-style change up. As of this morning every radio in the house, car and office for my coworkers and me have now been switched BIG 100.3. I much prefer U2, Cream, Doors and Stones to whatever that rude thing was this morning that made me wince at my desk! Dang near dropped my coffee. May be only a week without DJs but it is already too impersonal and boring for this ole bear, environmental kudos notwithstanding. Buh-bye!

Posted by: Bearsong | February 6, 2007 12:50 PM

94.7 had great DJs who kept things more than moderately interesting, especially Shelby with her eclectic lunch and Weasel with the truly awesome box sets. Maybe the DC stations should have a listen to WDHA in NJ at 105.5. It's way better than any of the stuff played in DC. And on Sunday mornings starting at 6 a.m., WDHA has the best DJ in the world who has total control over the playlist. That is what results in cool music being played on the airways. Not some computer generated list appealing to certain demographic. No more DC radio for me. It's way too boring. Thank goodness for WETA going classical. At least I have that.

Posted by: Going to NJ | February 6, 2007 2:24 PM

I feel totally adrift now without The Arrow. I ABHOR this new format. The Globe is the PITS. I miss all the great classic rock. This alternative crap is just that--crap. It's noisy and discordant and lacks soul. I'm looking forward to hearing Shelby, Cerphe and Stevens (and Medley with his box sets) again, but I hope they clean up this format and give the loyal listeners (hello, CBS, are you listening and reading all the previous posts?????) what they've come to expect and enjoy over these last few years.

Posted by: MJ | February 6, 2007 2:25 PM

I finally heard a few songs today that had made me initially optimistic about The Globe...

Pearl Jam, STP - HOWEVER, it still doesn't make up for the other 90% of crap that they are now trying to shove (sustainably, at that) down my throat.

So it's official - I'm bringing my XM Radio Boombox to the office tomorrow, and I'm gonna take my old-ass radio out to the parking lot and go all 'Office Space' on it.

Posted by: Globe Hater | February 6, 2007 2:30 PM

May I just say that 94.7 The Arrow WAS the sound track of my life! I loved that station! When I got in the car on Friday night and heard THE GLOBE I thought oh my...what happened? What a mistake! I moved here from Chicago (listening to The Loop) and thought what a great radio station! I loved Steven's and Medley in the morning as well as Cherphe on my ride home. I can't believe that these goofballs at THE GLOBE thought they knew what they were doing. I'll try it again next week when Steven's and hopefully Medley will be back as well a Cherphe. I only hope the DJ's will stay with the station when it makes it's changes - what a waste if they don't. To me, those guys made the station what it is. I just think it's a huge mistake to change the format!

Posted by: Paula | February 6, 2007 2:33 PM

I could take a dump on a speaker, and it would sound better than hearing Alanis Morisette on 94.7

Posted by: grrrrrrrrr | February 6, 2007 3:12 PM

The new Globe Web site says, "Like what you see?"

I don't see anything! Where's the rest of the pages?

If I were their Webmaster, I'd be mortified to have gone live with such a site. Pitiful.

(Not to mention it would have been wise to offer an apology to the faithful listeners who were "virtually" slapped in the face.)

Does not bode well for the future. 100.3 has been pretty darn good today with Cream, the Stones, the Doors, Eagles, etc. No electic lunch but if they keep it up, I'm not looking back.

Posted by: Bearsong again | February 6, 2007 4:04 PM

It was bad enough when WCXR changed formats and became "Smooth Jazz". Then WLTT became WARW, picked up the classic rock mantle (though I missed the year-end "Top 500 Classics of All Time"), and all was well again. WBIG used to be more of an "oldies" station, then they went classic rock, and they're OK, but not as good as WARW was. And now WARW is gone. I too am getting tired of the stealth format changes in radio around here. I like a variety of stuff, and enjoy having several stations to flip between for different genres, and now I feel like all the stations are trying to sound alike. I liked my classic rock (WARW), my hard rock (WIYY - by the way, where are Kirk and Mark?), my AOR (WWDC), even some country (WMZQ) and classical (WGMS). In the past 2 months I've had to change presets on my car stereo that hadn't changed in forever. Hey radio execs, hope you enjoy driving people to satellite and MP3 players, because you're not enticing them to listen to the radio anymore.

Posted by: bandwagon blues | February 6, 2007 6:16 PM

Looks like the only place to hear new music in DC is WAMU. Seriously, over the past few years I've heard tracks from Springsteen's new album, Pink Martini, Diplo, MIA, Common, Zap Mama and more. There's NOTHING else like that on the air. It's worth sitting through their hideously biased political coverage for the music reviews.

I don't care about 94.7's format change. Meet the old boss...same as the news boss. JACK-FM (102.7) is my favorite radio station seeing as the play the music I grew up listening to: lots and lots of 80s (easily the best decade for a wide variety of music on the radio).

I will cop to liking Jack Diamond. Sometimes it's nice to hear a group of people who enjoy working together and celebrate the good things in people's lives instead of braying like donkeys (I'm looking at you Elliot).

Posted by: Jacknut | February 6, 2007 11:24 PM

James BLUNT?

The Globe just lost me as a listener.

And BTW, I do have a vagina.

Posted by: DMS | February 7, 2007 9:42 AM

Here today, gone tomorrow is the rule of radio formatting, but why the heck did 94.7 change? Give me back my classic rock and forget this preening, self-conscious so-called "green" format bull***t.

Posted by: mart | February 7, 2007 11:49 AM

DMS: I too am a female, sorry if my comment sounded degrading, re-reading it I suppose it could have come off as such. With my "men who should have been born with vaginas" comment I was referring to artists such as James Blunt that as far as I can tell lack any real male organs;)

Posted by: Won't make a difference anyway | February 7, 2007 11:59 AM

Very nice everyone. Please email The Globe repeatedly and petition for a return of our favorite songs. I don't mind some of the "newer" stuff - as in Pearl Jam circa early 90's - but GET RID OF Alanis, Blunt, Nickelback, and all the other crap circa 2000-2006.

Posted by: Devoted to Change...changing the Globe back to CLASSIC ROCK | February 7, 2007 12:02 PM

This is a ridiculous format. Pay attention to the listeners complaints, please. From a purely financial point of view, who do you think buys any of the products advertised on the station? 18 year olds listening to James Blunt? More likely it is baby-boomers listening to the classic rock they love. Lose us, lose money. I imagine XM and Sirius will take the place of 94.7 for many of us outside the range of Hagerstown or Baltimore.

Posted by: What's Going On? | February 7, 2007 2:23 PM

Looks like if i want to hear classic rock, i will have to listen to CD's again. I liked listening to just classic rock. Now thats not possible thanks to the new tree hugger format. farewell 94.7

Posted by: DTM | February 7, 2007 2:33 PM

I might give the globe one more chance when it puts the djs back on, but my initial impression...the globe sux...and they should be downright embarrassed to have gone live with such an amateurish website, one page? give me a break, pitiful. Stevens and Medley were funny, a nice addition to my morning commute. another push towards Sirius radio for me...

Posted by: you've got to be kidding... | February 7, 2007 2:58 PM

I've listened to the Globe a little bit and it's similar to Jack FM, 102.7, which is not "too" bad. To be honest, I agree with what some people have been saying: all The Arrow needed to do was to broaden the playlist a little...no, A LOT. I used to like the Stones...I can't stand them anymore thanks to the Arrow, and I was getting tired of hearing the same old Zeppelin, Floyd, Petty, Cars, and Fleetwood Mac tunes. I listed online to 97 Rock out of Buffalo everyday and a lot of radio stations could learn something from them. I was listening to that station 25 or so years ago and they always played the off the wall cuts off all the albums...they prided themselves on that. They still do that and it's great. I'll give the Globe a shot but hopefully, they'll free up the DJs to have fun and play different kinds of music.

Posted by: Kenny | February 7, 2007 6:18 PM

Any suggestions of where I should set my radio to wake up by? The Arrow had a series of morning teams who I really enjoyed: Harris and Dave the Predictor, Mark, Art, and Allie, and recently Stevens and Medley. I thought they hit the right mix of funny and music that you could enjoy while half-asleep [And by funny, I don't mean "Let's see how close we can get to earning our station a million dollar fine from the FCC."]

I understand that Weasel is going to be the new morning DJ - I so don't see how that is going to play to his strengths...

As to the music: I was hoping that the Arrow would expand their playlist both deeper and longer. If I was running a classic rock station I would not repeat *any* song within at least a week and try to get to at least within 10 years of the present.

Any news if the globe is going produce the summer of classic rock concerts?

Posted by: RichA | February 7, 2007 7:42 PM

I'm 22... one of those who the Globe is trying to attract in their target audience and I HATE IT!!! I miss the Arrow soooooooooo much and listening to the Globe makes me feel so old. I wish they'd bring the Arrow back instead of trying to conform to other stations. I listened to it because it was stuff my mom listened to when I was a child and a nice change from the modern stuff. Even DC101 gets repetitive. But no matter how often Classic Rock repeats stuff, it's classic so it never gets old! I feel like I have to move or get XM just to hear great classic rock again. It's too bad really because DC used to have all the great radio stations. I'm going to bring my ipod in the car from now on.

Posted by: Marie | February 7, 2007 8:35 PM

I am not happy with "The Globe" so far.
If they bring back all the on-air talent, then maybe things will correct themselves.
Not that some change won't be good, but if you want to lose the most brilliant people such as Cerphe and Weasel, then you are foolish.

If they want more listeners - drop about 60-70 percent of the jewelery store ads. Sometimes I think DeBeers owns the station, not CBS. I thought it was seasonal, but its not - they play them year-round. I realize you need ads, but maybe tires, pre-schools, anything but more yammer about diamonds...

Posted by: Brian | February 7, 2007 10:29 PM

Piggybacking on Brian's comments:

Amen on the jewelry commercials brother!! I'm so sick of them....waaaaaay too many!

Posted by: Kenny | February 8, 2007 6:35 AM

I just returned from a business trip and was shocked when my beloved Stevens and Medley were not on 94.7. There is no way I will continue to listen this station. While I hate paying for Sirius, I will if that is what it takes to get real classic rock. To Stevens and Medley, you and your partners made driving to work in the morning nearly a pleasurable experience. You two will be missed dearly.

Posted by: Don | February 8, 2007 7:06 AM

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? Well I guess I'm back to Books On Tape. First it was HFS when they made Elliot their morning personality and then went Latino. Now The Arrow is no more. I will miss Stevens and Medley, traffic and weather reports for my morning commute.

Posted by: So Sad | February 8, 2007 9:03 AM

As long as Cerphe, Weasel, and Schelby are back on the air, I will give the Globe a whirl.

Posted by: Lynn DeCourcey | February 8, 2007 9:04 AM

I was shocked this morning to find that Stevens and Medley were gone as well as Classic Rock 94.7. I was always against going with XM. Maybe I will just bring my ipod with me in the car. I will miss Classic Rock 94.7 farewell old friend...

Posted by: Tracy | February 8, 2007 9:17 AM

When I came into work the other morning and flipped on the radio station I knew a coworker and I loved, I wasn't shocked. 94.7 was playing U2 and that was pretty much something I expected. And then it cut to the Killers and my jaw dropped. I immediatly sent a message to my coworker, who was on her way to school, and asked what was going. She didn't know and turned hers on and well, you can bet she was suprised. I mean, honestly. This? This is insane. The Globe? Environmentalists? Because Al Gore doesn't confuse the population already. This is a pretty pointless comment, I know, but I felt the need to express my annoyance as well. I had hoped that maybe The Arrow just switched stations. But no. Oh no, we just aren't that fortunate. At this rate, I'm likely to blow off all music stations and stick with NPR for the news.

Posted by: Geiger | February 8, 2007 9:39 AM

"WHFS circa 1985" -- so the Brain Trust at CBS Radio has essentially created Classic Rock for a new Generation.

Remember that Paul Jacobs and the folks at Jacobs Media first perfected and rolled out the Classic Rock radio concept in 1985 with music that was, on average, about 15 years old.

Well, 15 years ago we were getting pounded with Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots while U2 and The Cure began to fade from the top echelon of superstardom.

It's a smart move for the sales executives at CBS Radio, because it gives them a great opportunity to approach advertisers who covet the white 25-54 male in DC. Remember, these people graduated high school at some point between 1970 and 1999.

Wait ... 1999? Do you think anyone who graduated high school in 1999 - let alone anyone who graduated high school after 1990 - wants to hear a heavy dose of Tom Petty, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin and even more Pink Floyd?

WHFS circa 1985 -- that appeals to someone who is likely white, male and over the age of 40.

These listeners are the few who still listen to the radio, and chances are they still sort of enjoy DC101 but hate WBIG (where did the Oldies go?), loathe WRQX (bring back Q107 already), don't know Jack (it is a Baltimore station) and haven't yet found George (Jay-Z into Joan Osbourne??).

So The Globe is a great new station for those 40-60 who likely live in upper Potomac and drive Lexus SUVs. They have kids in high school who don't listen to the radio.

And this brings me to my point: Why try to emulate WHFS circa 1985 when you can be WHFS circa 2007? This market could support modern rock then, so why can't it now?

There is a ton of music out there not being played in Washington, yet there are the children of the very listeners The Globe seeks that are highly underserved. They don't all listen to Hot 99-5. Chances are they don't even listen to the radio. Why bother? Nothing speaks to them.

It will take some creativity and perhaps corporate convincing to give white radio listeners 12-34 a radio station to call their own that's hip and speaks to the true diversity DC has to offer.

Lily Allen, Kooks, Clash, Kaiser Chiefs, Guillemots, The Shins, Gomez, KT Tunstall, Arcade Fire, Killers.

Funny, listeners to a tiny station in Annapolis are probably familiar with all of these artists.

But Washington, DC?

I guess we'll forever be the Vinyl Nation.

Posted by: Arjake | February 8, 2007 10:51 AM

Well, the preset for 94.7 in my truck is gone. I switched over to BIG 100.3 and frankly am liking the songs I am hearing them playing. All my fellow Harley riders .. tune in there .... some good music that we were used to on 94.7. Bye, Bye Arrow!

Posted by: Gary | February 8, 2007 10:53 AM

The concept of the globe goin all environmentally aware is good, the new music lineup and killing off of the ONLY morning show I ever really enjoyed is TERRIBLE. -1 listener. Btw, who the hell wants to listen to weasle that early in the morning anyways, bad enough I had to hear his voice on the ride home but you expect me to wanna hear it first thing in the morning?

Posted by: Jason | February 8, 2007 11:30 AM

So the on-air personalities are back, and it's not much better. Shelby's always been easy to listen to as a deejay, but her delivery seems to be extremely restricted right now.

People call in wanting the eclectic lunch - she says, "I'll work on that..."

She also has to describe album covers and titles for bands like 'Death Cab for Cutie', and it seems as if, outside of being forced to shove this stuff down our throats, she is about two seconds away from saying, "F*** this s***, I'm a throw some Floyd on..."

The station itself really is not immensely different from where it was a week ago. But 10-15 songs pop up through the day which make me want to bang my head into the wall. If they got rid of those songs, the station could do fairly well I think. But it doesn't seem like that's going to happen - which means I will abandon yet another radio station, all because of some silly corporate miscues.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 12:05 PM

I miss the morning deejays! Hate this new format.....

Posted by: Brigid | February 8, 2007 1:14 PM

I'm diggin the Globe...Still seems like a lot of Stones, Clapton, Zepplin with a healthy dose of U2, Tom Petty, and more good rock. Welcome back Weasel, Schelby, & Cerphe! Just dump some of the lame girly stuff a.k.a Gnarles Barkely, FYC, etc and we're good to go. I can't stand BIG 100...How much American Pie does one have to swallow in a day???

Posted by: Jerry S | February 8, 2007 6:55 PM

I turned 39 this week, and they took my favorite rock station off the air. Happy birthday to me, wow. Pissed?--yeah, but as I sat here stewing I came to realize that there is a time when the old must make way for the new. There is a reason why we don't hear the oldies '50s music readily on free radio. So now that we are in the 2000s, 60' and 70' music is on the "old bubble". Hey in 20 years no one will want to hear the music of the 80's and 90's. That's just the way it goes. Luckily technology now allows us "old heads" to buy satelite radio and download to ipods.
As far as the Glove? Oh gimme a break, it sux hard. Anyone from Chicago heard of this station called "the Drive"? It's fantstic and accessible on the web.

Posted by: Nae | February 8, 2007 8:10 PM

Like most - very shocked when I got in the car the other morning. The Globe just lost another listener. I know several folks, who is in the demographic they are going for - they have also switched off.

I am looking into XM...

Posted by: Aileen | February 8, 2007 9:37 PM

The Globe...a great new addition to the local "variety" of music in the area. A great replacement to WHFS. The Arrow, with the exception of the Box-Set and the ecclectic lunch, the format was horrible. I enjoy listening to all types of music but the same "ClassicRock" music over and over and over and over again...good bye finally.

Posted by: G Blanchette | February 9, 2007 7:16 AM

This is a big mistake and quite a slap at all of us who have been so faithful over the years. Thanks for destroying my favorite station. Just points out how clueless these radio executives really are.

Posted by: redfox | February 9, 2007 7:54 AM

Well, I have officially switched to BIG 100.3 today. I held out with The Globe as long as I could, and just could not take hearing Death Cab for Cutie, Green Day, Gnarls Barkley, John Mayer, and KT Tunstall on shuffle.

The Globe really f***ed this one up. Aside from the fact that they randomly anihilated the best radio station in D.C., the Globe promised to bring "...more variety and deeper cuts..."

WHATEVER. I've heard the same modern kiddie BS being played 3-4 times a day for the last week. They just don't play the classics as often anymore.

I'm sick of it. I will miss Shelby and Cerphe, but I won't miss the wannabe bands and pop singers that The Globe seems to want to play over and over. I'm 26, and I believe I fall in their demographic - but they nearly lost me at first, and now that I have listened to The Globe for a week, they have lost me for good.

BIG 100.3 has gotten much better than it used to be. I urge all my fellow ex-Arrow listeners to switch - at least you won't have to hear James Blunt.

Posted by: Globe Hater | February 9, 2007 8:35 AM

I tried to stick with the Globe. I like the message of environmetal awareness but why would you have to change the damn format for that? I liked listening to 94.7 because I didn't hear the same 5 songs over and over all day. Now it's the same crap you hear on the otehr stations with a few good somgs mixed in...not worth the time of listening to it. I've made a switch to 100.3 and any other station I can find that plays good classic rock without playing the same songs over and over. It was securely locked into my presets but those days are over. I've replaced it with CD's, MP3 player, and 100.3...bad move on their part. I would love to see if their ratings drop because of this.

Posted by: Mellowyellow55 | February 9, 2007 10:25 AM

I'll greatly miss WARW. I was a faithful fan from the moment it first went on the air. However, it was more than time to say goodbye to the Stevens & Medley morning show. This area deserves a better (and more intelligent) morning show!

Posted by: Nancy | February 9, 2007 5:02 PM

I'm really disappointed that classic rock 94.7 has been changed! I miss the morning crew and now seeking a new station for my morning drive into work.

Posted by: Rick G | February 9, 2007 7:23 PM

Take a music politicizing globe and stick it into Al Gore's dabble hole and wipe with the washington post. I'm goin to cut down a few more trees.

Posted by: Dick Dover | February 10, 2007 9:30 AM

Glad to hear Cerph is still around. Too bad classic rock is gone.
All this "green" idiocy is really just a religion for the irreligious.
I suppose all greenies will live on a farm, in the woods....not.
Anyway rock on.

Posted by: Tod | February 11, 2007 9:03 AM

I have been listening to 94.7 for several years now and have personally enjoyed the music knowledge the DJ's (Cerphe and Weasel) possess more than the classic rock theme, which was getting rather boring. I am looking forward to the new theme change with 94.7 adding more retro hfs alternative music and limiting much of the overplayed classic rock. I think this was a smart move. I just hope they will continue this theme and continue to add more classic alternative. Good-bye and good-riddance to the Stevens and Medley morning show, you won't be missed.

Posted by: Snake | February 12, 2007 11:55 AM

Well, I've officially switched, sorry Cerphe, Weasel, and Schelby. I do hope you'll move stations when your respective contracts are up. 100.3 or 106.9 The Eagle out of Frederick, MD. I punch between both now that the Arrow is gone. Your collective classi rock knowledge will be missed, but hopefully not for long.

Posted by: Marie | February 12, 2007 2:00 PM

Well, I've officially switched, sorry Cerphe, Weasel, and Schelby. I do hope you'll move stations when your respective contracts are up. 100.3 or 106.9 The Eagle out of Frederick, MD. I punch between both now that the Arrow is gone. Your collective classic rock knowledge will be missed, but hopefully not for long.

Posted by: Marie | February 12, 2007 2:01 PM

There are a lot of Washingtonians who mourned the demise of the old HFS and had only satellite radio to turn to. Even XM's Fred left a lot to be desired. I'm thrilled to have the alt rock format back in full force. Change is always hard but the new format seems to fill a hole that was empty for years.

Posted by: New Market MD | February 12, 2007 7:05 PM

As is the general consensus, don't fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. I loved the old Arrow, something died inside of me when I heard The Fray playing "How to Save a Life" on 94.7. 94.7 IS CLASSIC ROCK and it will always be that to me. As for this whole appealing to the younger crowd, I am 16 and have been a devoted Arrow listener since I was 12 and able to understand "wow crap plays on DC101 and classic rock sure beats out anything else on the radio nowadays". Looks like I'll have to be listening to my iPod when I go in the car from now on and to me thats a damn shame. Radio, you have lost another devoted follower to the new-age crap ideas like The Globe.

Posted by: Will | February 12, 2007 7:08 PM

The transition of the station is fantastic. The modified JACK format is right on the money for the DC audience with the strong ties to the locally famous HFS. I am a subscriber to satellite radio, both XM and Sirius. Your play list is now a very good mixture and in some ways superior to the Sirius stations that I listen to most:
Alt Nation
First Wave
The Spectrum
The Vault

It is great to hear FM radio the way it was intended. This morning you played "Three Strange Days" by School of Fish. I would venture to guess that song hasn't traversed the DC airways in well over a dozen years. Excellent.

Now for the criticism: The station has some baggage to jettison. One of your DJs is a horrific blight on FM and has no role in such a cool station. That would be the egomaniacal blathering smarmy hack known as "Shelby." She is a blight on your otherwise shining star. She needs to be unceremoniously sacked. As an example of her self servitude, when she came back on the air after the format change, over the course of her first three hours at nearly every break she played a recording of a listener call-in, all male, fawning all over her because they were so concerned that she would no longer be a DJ on 94.7. Excuse me but that retching is me dry heaving everything that is left just talking about one of the most blatant displays of self promotion I have ever witnessed.

If you need to refresh your memory of what a true female FM DJ is supposed to sound like, listen to Kristine Stone on the Sirius channel The Vault. Now that is FM.

I implore you - dump the bimbo.

Posted by: JT | February 12, 2007 9:47 PM

I am a huge fan of Stephens and Medley from Colorado when they used to be on a Classic Rock station in Colorado Springs. I am assuming from the comments (can't really tell from the "new" station's site) that they are not a part of the new "globe" format. I had been waiting for the Arrow to do live streaming just so I could listen to their morning show, so this is a huge disappointment to me.

Posted by: Tanya | February 13, 2007 6:31 AM

Sorry to tell you Marie but Cerphe and Weasel both DJ'd for the alternative hfs station way back in the day before the corporate hands got a hold of it and turned it into a piece of garbage. I hope and I doubt that Cerphe or Weasel are going anywhere anytime soon.

Posted by: Snake | February 13, 2007 7:02 PM

I will miss 94.7 classic rock. Nothing like getting into your car in the afternoon and hearing The Allman Brothers "Dreams" or some Skynard. I knew Washington DC left the South a long time ago, but now it has left its roots also. I myself will switch to satalite. They have what I want to listen too.

Posted by: Chris | February 14, 2007 11:25 AM

94.7, I will miss thee. I almost drove off the road the first weekend it was on and I thought I was in some sort of strange time warp. I like Jack FM because it's funky and a bit nostalgic but I had 94.7 to balance it out. Okay, they played a lot of the same songs over and over but I liked the box sets and loved Shelby's eclectic lunch. Now George and the Globe sound like bad ripoffs of the whole Jack concept. So boring! And the whole pretentious green thing, please.

Posted by: Denise | February 15, 2007 12:51 AM

Anything that gets Stevens and Medley and their mean-spirited, juvenile humor off the air is a good thing. Good-bye to pet psychics, ambush interviews, redneck jokes, and all that arrogant and condescending talk and hello to music.

Posted by: John Douglas | February 15, 2007 8:00 AM

I AM 22, 94.7 introduced to classic rock, feed me good rock music not this nonsense you hear on the radio today. Today I switched on the radio, heard "James Blunt" and was horrified...
Before 100.3 was not good enough for me, now I guess I will just have to manage it and my MP3 player until I get satelite radio...

Posted by: Keke... | February 17, 2007 12:43 AM

Once again CBS brings us middle of the road mush. The new format is more like the old 80's WASH. Boring! Mixing too may types of music will only appeal to some of us some of the time. The arrow was awesome because it felt like the DJs were sharing something special with you. I'm really sad it's gone and I will miss listening to it with my kids and enjoying it together. My kids are 20 somethings. I don't expect this new format will last. Nobody I know likes it. Hopefully someone will snag those awesome DJs and I 'll listen there.

Posted by: Kris | February 19, 2007 7:09 AM

I hate the new format on 94.7. I was a big fan of their old format, and Stevens and Medley was the only morning show I could stand to listen to. Now every time I land on 94.7 they seem to be playing Gnarls Barkley. I can no longer bear to listen to this station.

Posted by: Regan | February 21, 2007 4:14 PM

At least they did'nt switch to spanish.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 23, 2007 4:29 AM

Like the Arrow, I to am changing....to another station.

Posted by: NAS | February 25, 2007 1:40 PM