Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Pants News: America Held Hostage, Day Too Many

You really don't want the full report on Roy Pearson's latest waste of the court's time. For once, I ask you to trust me on this: I have just read the pants man's new 35-page motion asking D.C. Superior Court Judge Judith Bartnoff to rule that she was incredibly wrong in her verdict on the $54 million pants suit, and I am here to tell you that there is only one bit of news in the document.

Now that the lawyer for the Chung family is asking the court to rule that Roy Pearson should pay the legal fees of the family that he has dragged into financial ruin, Pearson is returning fire. He wants Bartnoff to rule that the Chungs should pay his attorney's fees, which as of today's filing, he puts at $425,000. Close students of the pants suit will know that this number is not new. What's new is this sentence from Pearson's latest motion--please, read it slowly, savoring every unbelievably arrogant word:

Plaintiff therefore seeks reasonable attorneys' fees in the amount of $425,000 for excellent legal work performed under extremely trying circumstances - including holding down a more than full time job.

If you can come up with an appropriate comment here, please come ahead. I am fresh out because I am too busy trying to scrape my jaw off the office carpet.

Otherwise, the motion is about what you'd expect: Pearson still believes that "Satisfaction Guaranteed"--the sign in the dry cleaners that he's been fussing about for several years now--means that the shopkeeper is required to give any consumer whatever they want no matter whether the customer's complaint is justified or not.

Judge Bartnoff erred, Pearson argues, in a big way and he very kindly wants to give her a chance to correct herself. Her "fundamental error," he writes, "lies in the failure to give the words 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' their plain and unambiguous meaning." There's page after page on this, with extra bonus footnotes.

I don't think I'm jumping the gun to say that Bartnoff's response will be to tell Pearson that enough is enough. That sentiment was largely missing from the judge's ruling after last month's trial, but Bartnoff is expected to make her views of Pearson's abuse of the legal system clearer in her decision on the attorney's fees question, which could come sometime next month.

More pants updates here at various times throughout the rest of your life.

By Marc Fisher |  July 11, 2007; 4:18 PM ET
Previous: Comment #20,000 | Next: Metro & the Douglass Bridge Mess: Way to Alienate Your Riders!

Comments

Gee, I'd hate to see how the case would have turned out if his legal work hadn't been so "excellent."

Posted by: Perky | July 11, 2007 6:02 PM

I'm still a bit perplexed (but not surprised) that it takes this particular case to bring attention to problems with the state of our judicial system. There are daily and tragic miscarriages of justice and socio-economic/racial disparity played out in these courtrooms by uncaring, corrupt, ill-advised and bigoted judges. Lawyers make money; low income families are unfairly victimized because they can't afford retainers. So what's up: how come you don't do the research, check out - for example - some of these child custody/domestic violence cases being played out routinely, particularly in this region (PG County ranks high with over 7,000 DV cases per year). And all you want to keep harping on is how irritating the pants suit is? I agree Pearson is a bit ridiculous with this, but let's get some priorities straight.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 6:15 PM

MF: Please post a link to the motion, if it's available online.

Posted by: Scilicet | July 11, 2007 7:38 PM

Posted by: FL Lawyer | July 11, 2007 8:33 PM

1) Who is Pearson referring to when he states "excellent" legal work? Because if sure isn't him. Does the term excellent refer to someone crying over a pair of lost pants, trying to bring up a previous divorce case in another court case, or all around general incomprehensible testimony?

And

2) Would someone please try to convince me that any DC government employee works a full 40 hour week, let alone more than 40 hours per week? Actually, leat me ask this: Is this guy still working in a non-judicial capacity or is he on paid administrative leave?

Maybe this man could take his act to Broadway.

Posted by: Scotty, beam me up | July 11, 2007 8:34 PM

Dear Scilicet:

Well only one page of Pearson's Motion for Reconsideration is online.

Posted by: FL Lawyer | July 11, 2007 8:37 PM

The NAACP should ban Pearson along with the "n" word.

Posted by: Just A Suggestion | July 11, 2007 8:52 PM

I think he mistakenly gave them the wrong pair of pants a long time ago, lost the others on his own, and has dug in his heels too far to ever admit it.

If he had any sense at all, he'd quietly settle the matter and drop out of public sight immediately, hoping to fade into obscurity. As is, he has approximately no chance whatsoever of winning and will just end up with a larger judgment to pay. Not exactly bright, huh?

Posted by: Joe Schmoe | July 11, 2007 10:37 PM

What I have often wanted to happen in these kind of cases, is for the judge to throw out these ludicrous suits and requiring the plaintiff to pay all costs and bear a heavy fine for abusing the legal system (fine the plaintiff's lawyer also, since he/she should have known better.)

But I am told by persons who have a much greater legal knowledge than I, that even in the cases where the judge wants to throw the case and the plaintiffs out of the courtroom, that they are legally prevented from doing so.

Sad.

Posted by: A legal neophyte | July 11, 2007 10:52 PM

Marc, I could contribute many appropriate comments on this person's actions, but my morals don't allow me to use that kind of language.

About all I can say and retain any vestige of civility is to follow "Just A Suggestion"'s lead and suggest that the NAACP dunk him in bleach until there's no vestige of African brown left on him. As my roots are from the Deep South, it's very hard to keep my latent racism in check when I encounter people of African descent like him. If I said what I want to call him, this post would be nuked in a heartbeat.

I'll keep it to this; the man is a disgrace to his race and a detraction from the many fine, positive contributors to our society of African heritage. He is also a prime example of one of the worse stereotypes of African-Americans I know of.

Take that and stick it in your pants, Pearson.

Posted by: Varmint | July 11, 2007 11:24 PM

Although I live in New Zealand, I have followed this travesty with a feeling of stunned horror.

How this type of persons manipulations are manifested is really dependant upon the character of the environment in which he is situated. The legal and political character would have a large influence on these outcomes, I should think.

Spiteful and nuisance suits occur everwhere that I know of, but I know of only one place where such a claim, for the loss of a pair of pants, could escalate to $54 million, and be seriously contemplated.
This is not to say that, in other juristictions or countries, where the claim may not be so wild and extravagent, the judgement may have gone against the the defendant and the defendant might not have even been heard.

Posted by: IPA | July 12, 2007 2:09 AM

If Pearson wants to read into the meaning of "Satisfaction Guaranteed" as however he wishes, then what's to stop the Chungs from saying the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" is really about the satisfaction of the business owner; not the customer?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2007 3:37 AM

I think the word you are looking for is "deluded"
"excellent legal work" Excellent legal work and this case would have never happened.
Also from New Zealand, I am glad we are not so litigious here.

"However, I did not know that Pearson was African American, nor do I care. How can this possibly be relevent? There are people like Pearson in every society, race, religion, club, and so on, on earth.

Unfortunately true, but some places leave fewer tools left for them to use, Does it look like he will be kept in his job for another term?
I should hope not, so he can crawl back into the gutter.

Posted by: David | July 12, 2007 3:59 AM

I think Pearson should sue his attorney for incompetence. Pearson clearly did not receive the quality of legal representation that he deserved. Oh, wait, maybe he did.

Posted by: Ken | July 12, 2007 7:57 AM

One of the things that drives insanity like this is that the legal system assumes that the parties are acting in "good faith". Litigation is so expensive that unless you have REALLY deep pockets the only way to avoid bankruptcy is to make a deal regardless of whether you've done anything wrong. I don't think that I could afford the first hearing, let along actually defending myself. This environment is tailor made for jerks like Pearson who are more than willing to game the system.

Posted by: JQP | July 12, 2007 8:21 AM

He didn't work for "Boies Schiller & Flexner", did he? Or perhaps father one of their lawyers? 'Cause it's the same kind of thing in the SCO vs. Novell & SCO vs. IBM cases.

Posted by: TemporalBeing | July 12, 2007 10:10 AM

Roy Pearson should be hanged by his pants! The world does not need idiots like him around...

Posted by: joejack65 | July 12, 2007 10:41 AM

DC should open the access road through RFK's parking lots over to East Capitol Street as a way to take some stess off of the 11th and PA Avenue bridges. A poor mans Barney Circle project

Posted by: Bob | July 12, 2007 10:49 AM

Someone please bop Pearson over the head with the wire hanger his pants are being hung on and/or dust off a pillory to place him in outside of the courthouse. I mean, really, this is just an embarassment to everyone but the Chungs, who are just being harassed.

Posted by: Chris | July 12, 2007 12:04 PM

> If you can come up with an appropriate comment here, please come ahead.

Speaking as a Brit, "Whay a knob".

Posted by: Jona. | July 12, 2007 12:26 PM

> If you can come up with an appropriate comment here, please come ahead.

Speaking as a Brit, "What a knob".

Posted by: Jona. | July 12, 2007 12:26 PM

Jona., here in the U.S., you need only hit the 'submit' button once.

Posted by: Pip-Pip | July 12, 2007 12:33 PM

"I read his legal arguments and were I a juror, he would not get one thin dime but would pay full court costs and attorneys' fees to the defendant."

But that's the nub of the problem. He can go on ad infinitum, because unlike the Chungs, it costs him nothing to pursue this ridiculous case. His goal, borne of spite and an unbalanced mind, is to drive the Chungs out of business. It doesn't matter if he prevails in court. The ultimate verdict in the case is irrelevant. If they go broke and have to close their stores fighting his insanity, he wins. The bottom line is that because of the perversion of our justice system, the judicial process itself has become his weapon. The system is de facto on his side.

Posted by: Claudius | July 12, 2007 3:35 PM

"Unfortunately true, but some places leave fewer tools left for them to use,"

David, what on earth do you mean by that comment? You are obviously a racist b*stard to even spew that phrase. I think you are watching too many National Geographic shows.

Posted by: New Zealand Sucks | July 12, 2007 10:00 PM

I think the person Varmint (Posted by: Varmint | July 11, 2007 11:24 PM) is an UNCLE TOM. That was so racist of you to say "that the NAACP dunk him in bleach until there's no vestige of African brown left on him." maybe someone should dump you're a** in a tank of bleach or mud. No matter what.... we as African Americans should not talk about our race like that. No if and but or "Just A Suggestion". IT'S A DAMN SHAME HOW WE (IF YOU ARE) AFRICAN AMERICAN CAN DEGRADE EACH OTHER LIKE THAT. NO SIN IS BETTER THEN THE OTHER IF SO ALL AFRICAN AMERICANS SHOULD BE BLEACHED.... That's what's wrong with society today they teach kids that because you're black you have to act a certain way which isn't true. Be yourself in life!!! If Peason felt like he was not guaranteed the service why can't he take it to court? I'm not going finish what I have to say b/c this has pissed me off and I don't feel like writing a novel. I hate ignorance......

Posted by: African American Queen | July 13, 2007 8:31 AM

Posted by: African American Queen | July 13, 2007 8:31 AM

Just in case Pearson happens to read these comments...

The sign said "Satisfaction Guaranteed". It didn't say "Customer's Satisfaction Guaranteed". The sign simply guarantees that SOMEONE will be satisfied, not who.

IOW: You're a buffoon. Let it go.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 14, 2007 12:50 PM

Pearson is just mean-spirited and hateful.

What could those people ever have done to him to deserve this ridiculous persecution? He has destroyed their lives and their business.

I hope his egregious appeal gets thrown out too.

Posted by: Ellie | July 14, 2007 7:20 PM

African American Queen, just keep acting the way you do and you will set an all time low standard for black folk. By the way, how is it that you can identify yourself as African? Were you born in Africa and hold dual citizenship? If you were born in the U.S. and do not hold dual citizenship, you cannot identify yourself as African. You are either black or colored. Challenge me on this. I dare you.

Posted by: Challenge the old school | July 14, 2007 10:14 PM

Hey bro! Well Done! Would you please also visit my site?

Posted by: Alan | July 17, 2007 7:34 AM

Hey bro! Well Done! Would you please also visit my site?

Posted by: Alan | July 17, 2007 7:34 AM

One of the best locations I've come across lately!!! Definately a permanent bookmark! Please visit my site too:

Posted by: Steve | July 17, 2007 7:34 AM

African American Queen,
You stupid, stupid person. You think it's justified that he sue the cleaners after they booted him before because he was being too difficult? He begged for them to let him come back. As a courtesy, they allowed them to keep using their service, and his thank you is a $56M suit? They have every right to refuse service to anyone as long as it's not discrimination by race, sex, or age. But his belligerence definitely got him booted out of their business befor.

IF you think $56M is justified after they tried to settle for up to $12k to get them out of their hair and to bypass a lawsuit which is costing them around $100k in costs now... You are a disgrace to the human race. You are about as ignorant as they come.

Posted by: DT | July 20, 2007 12:59 PM

Official banks' sites are not the best place to shop for credit cards. It is much better to check out site that have offers from all major banks and credit card companies. They give you all the necessary information and give you the opportunity to compare. I would recommend to go to
new auto loan effect credit score

Posted by: Agronomrls | July 23, 2007 1:05 AM

Good Day! My son is a student. We are going to apply for student credit card online to allow him building credit history. It will be for the first time. I have 3 credit cards but had gotten them at the banks. Could you help me whether this site is reliable or not?
orchard banks silver

Posted by: Agronomspq | July 23, 2007 1:40 AM

orchard banks silver

Posted by: Agronomspq | July 23, 2007 1:40 AM

Hi! Today getting a credit card is easy. Almost every credit card company issues credit cards for any credit score. Great? Sure. You can solve your financial problems with the right credit card.
orchard bank nonsecured credit card for bad credit credit card

Posted by: Agronombwi | July 23, 2007 4:42 AM

orchard bank nonsecured credit card for bad credit credit card

Posted by: Agronombwi | July 23, 2007 4:42 AM

orchard bank nonsecured credit card for bad credit credit card

Posted by: Agronombwi | July 23, 2007 4:43 AM

Hello. I've been searching for a credit card with airline rewards, since I started to fly on business regularly. I was about to apply for such a card, but learned that this card won't give you free tickets right away, so I applied for a universal credit card and read a lot of useful information at
citibank credit card rebuild credit history

Posted by: Agronomoqz | July 23, 2007 5:33 AM

citibank credit card rebuild credit history

Posted by: Agronomoqz | July 23, 2007 5:33 AM

I have considerably improved my credit score recently and have been elevated for FICO B rating. However, for Transunion and Experian, they are now using Vantage instead, which lowers me to a C cat. Do you know which scoring system do they use at
credit cards for fico score 519

Posted by: Agronomyaj | July 23, 2007 8:22 AM

credit cards for fico score 519

Posted by: Agronomyaj | July 23, 2007 8:23 AM

I am a college student and I'm looking for a credit card to start credit history. I am being offered quite q plenty of them but I do not really like the terms and conditions they carry. I want to make my own, independent decision and apply for credit cad I like online. Now I just think which is better to have - a student credit card to build credit history, a secured credit card or no credit card all of which I've seen at
how do i get a credit card without a credit history

Posted by: Agronomtxu | July 24, 2007 3:43 AM

Posted by: kim | July 24, 2007 12:18 PM

Posted by: kim | July 24, 2007 12:18 PM

Some people spend years paying off there credit card debts. That happens because they do not put enough effort in managing their finances and also because they do not read terms and conditions carefully. The information is always there you just need to read it. Just go to any professional credit card site such as

Posted by: Creditmro | August 1, 2007 11:14 PM

Posted by: Creditmro | August 1, 2007 11:15 PM

Posted by: Creditmro | August 1, 2007 11:15 PM

Posted by: Creditmro | August 1, 2007 11:15 PM

Posted by: Creditmro | August 1, 2007 11:16 PM

credit cards for 590 credit score

Posted by: Bcreditxug | August 1, 2007 11:32 PM

credit cards for 590 credit score

Posted by: Bcreditxug | August 1, 2007 11:32 PM

credit cards for 590 credit score

Posted by: Bcreditxug | August 1, 2007 11:33 PM

credit cards for 590 credit score

Posted by: Bcreditxug | August 1, 2007 11:33 PM

Hi guys! I'm in debt and look for a credit card for bad credit. I'm not sure, is it a reliable site? Please advise.
credit card consolidate

Posted by: Bcreditkpa | August 2, 2007 2:07 AM

credit card consolidate

Posted by: Bcreditkpa | August 2, 2007 2:07 AM

credit card consolidate

Posted by: Bcreditkpa | August 2, 2007 2:07 AM

Hi people! I applied for credit cards for so many times. This is perhaps my last chance. Yesterday I found credit card applications at a website. Is it good to improve credit? Please consult. It's called
mnba consolidate bills

Posted by: Bcreditlhe | August 2, 2007 9:56 AM

mnba consolidate bills

Posted by: Bcreditlhe | August 2, 2007 9:57 AM

mnba consolidate bills

Posted by: Bcreditlhe | August 2, 2007 9:58 AM

Good Day! My daughter is a student and studies in another city. We would like to apply for a student credit card for her in order to start building credit history and because of convenient use, but do not know for sure if the following site is really good? And how safe is it to make it online? Could you help us to clear up these moments?
creitd agency

Posted by: Bcreditwsb | August 2, 2007 11:33 AM

creitd agency

Posted by: Bcreditwsb | August 2, 2007 11:33 AM

Good Day! To use credit cards or cash is the own choice of everyone. For me it is more convenient to purchase and travel with credit cards. I carry cash very seldom because today credit cards are available almost everywhere. I am going to Spain this vacation and yesterday applied for a new credit card at
first credit dard

Posted by: Acreditlyy | August 2, 2007 2:24 PM

It's no easy matter choosing and comparing credit card offers, and usually you have to visit tens of sites to see more or less full array of them. Fortunately, I came across a credit related source of high quality which presents credit card applications from major banks so that you can compare them quickly. Expert advice can also be found at
how build your credit

Posted by: Aacreditjpz | August 3, 2007 4:39 AM

how build your credit

Posted by: Aacreditjpz | August 3, 2007 4:39 AM

It is very important to have good or at least decent credit history if you want to be approved for any kind of credit. Your credit report is the document that shows your creditworthiness. I've been working hard on my credit history - paying my bills, keeping my income stable and I'm really hoping to be a proved for a good credit card deal at
mbna rewards 529

Posted by: Aacreditveb | August 3, 2007 7:27 AM

Indeed, it is hard to find an informative and reliable source for personal finance advice and secure credit card applications. Searching for one, I came across the site which has a good collection of credit related articles, customer service which can answer your questions about credit and which provides a wide range of credit cards with secure applications -
615 credit score

Posted by: bacreditxnk | August 3, 2007 10:10 AM

615 credit score

Posted by: bacreditxnk | August 3, 2007 10:11 AM

615 credit score

Posted by: bacreditxnk | August 3, 2007 10:11 AM

615 credit score

Posted by: bacreditxnk | August 3, 2007 10:15 AM

Hello guys! Please, somebody, give me wise advice. My credit is really bad. I have one bad credit card and need one more to solve some money problems. How to know whether my application will be denied or not. And is this a reliable website to apply online? I am waiting for your answer. Thanks
1 800 492 2500.

Posted by: bacreditvrj | August 3, 2007 1:55 PM

1 800 492 2500.

Posted by: bacreditvrj | August 3, 2007 1:55 PM

1 800 492 2500.

Posted by: bacreditvrj | August 3, 2007 1:56 PM

Hello guys! I am in a great need of credit card. My credit score is fair. I am going to apply online in order to save my time and make a step by step comparison before applying. I have chosen one website with the most alluring cards (in my opinion) and now seeking advice to clear up if this site is really reliable and safe. Perhaps you know.
best 529 credit card

Posted by: cacreditqhi | August 3, 2007 2:57 PM

When choosing a credit card I always feel like I have a rival I need to outsmart. If I don't I'll be ripped off but if I do I will save a decent amount of money. I would like to hear your opinion right now. I need to get a good cash back credit card. Which offer would you recommend at
credit cards with less than 500

Posted by: cacredithrd | August 3, 2007 6:41 PM

Hello, pal! Could you give me advice? I am in the process of looking for a credit card. I had some credit problems in the past and now I am not sure that my application will be approved. Will a denial damage my credit history? What to do? I am going to apply online at
build credit fast

Posted by: dacreditqxm | August 4, 2007 8:25 AM

You need to make sure your credit history is ok if you want to apply for a rewards credit card. If you credit history is not that great you will lose more money than you'll make with those rebates. Of course, there are offers for all types of credit history on the net, especially at
580 fico credit card

Posted by: eacreditbxo | August 4, 2007 10:26 AM

I'm a newly wed and we together with my spouse decided to start building good credit as we started a family of our own, as in future we'll have buy a house and cars and many other things. I wanted a credit card for both of us, so that we could use it together and accumulate credit rating. Happily, I found a card for spouses at
creditcards orchid

Posted by: eacreditepn | August 4, 2007 1:42 PM

Hello! I believe credit cards are used almost by everyone. But unfortunately, credit cards with 0% balance transfer, rewards, lowest interest rates are mainly for those with strong credit. If your credit is not good, you can apply for bad credit cards online to build good one at
find orchard secured credit card

Posted by: eacreditmpw | August 4, 2007 7:40 PM

Hi everyone. What should I do when my credit card expires? I've received a new credit card offer in the mailbox which is the replacement of the expired one. But the features seem to be different. Do I risk accepting the offer? I think that it is better to go to a web resource and make an application there. Quite a good place to do it is
tribute bank mastercard

Posted by: facreditpfz | August 5, 2007 9:57 AM

When is my work protected?
car geico insurance quote

Posted by: wvomngrg | August 22, 2007 8:20 PM

Can I copyright my domain name?

Posted by: rrkolxhp | August 23, 2007 12:36 AM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.
I Look forward to hear you soon with impatience. Dating[url=http://toplop.com/?idAff=59]Dating[/url]

Posted by: datindgxz | August 23, 2007 9:49 PM

Posted by: teen | August 25, 2007 10:29 AM

Posted by: teen | August 25, 2007 10:29 AM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.
I Look forward to hear you soon with impatience. Adult Dating[url=http://toplop.com/?idAff=59]Adult Dating[/url]

Posted by: datindyhc | August 25, 2007 11:31 AM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindyhc | August 25, 2007 11:31 AM

Posted by: inusha | August 25, 2007 11:48 AM

What is the fee for preregistration?
buy xanax

Posted by: ntqclsxx | August 26, 2007 2:19 AM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindcvy | August 26, 2007 11:54 PM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindbrm | August 27, 2007 5:48 PM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindtkv | August 28, 2007 11:32 AM

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindbkc | August 29, 2007 4:52 AM