Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Saving the Elementary Schools

Marc Fisher reports:

James Choate came to Washington last night from Birmingham, Ala., joining five friends on a mission to save the lives of American elementary school children.

Choate, who works in an advertising mailhouse back home, flew through scary thunderstorms to attend the Gathering of Eagles, where he and others stood wearing buttons that said "Never Trust Democrats with National Security."

Choate said he and his friend felt compelled to come to Washington because most Americans refused to believe that "the terrorists have got people planted all over the country from Al Queda who are preparing to go on one day into many elementary schools in our country and kill our children. We have this on good authority, we have sources."

Choate said he was disappointed to see how few people turned out to the Gathering of Eagles. "Most of the country doesn't want to believe it, " he said. "Everybody's getting a false feeling of security. Every morning, I wake up and just hope another 9-11 hasn't happened overnight."

Choate said he and his friends, who he called true patriots, are doing their duty to spread the word that "most Muslims are out to kill us or convert us to Islam."

Choate and his friends said the poor turnout was "disturbing," but said they nonetheless were stirred by the support of those who did attend; the group from Birmingham plans to spend the rest of the weekend seeing the sights of the nation's capital .

By Aruna Jain |  September 15, 2007; 12:55 PM ET
Previous: Even Demonstrators Have To Eat | Next: Crowds fill Lafayette Park

Comments

50 years ago, he would have been going on about Communists putting chlorine in the drinking water, or sapping our precious bodily fluids.

It's odd that the Post wants to focus on the poorly attended, sloppily arranged counter-demonstrators, especially when today's rally represents the views of a solid 2/3rds of the country.

Of course, the Post is very serious.

Posted by: Noam Sane | September 15, 2007 1:06 PM

Obviously these "Eagles" are very rational people.

Wow.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | September 15, 2007 1:15 PM

More like a Gathering of Loons...

Will your next reportage be on the guy who wanders around Washinton Square in a garbage bag, telling eveyone he has 'documents' that prove the government is listening to his thoughts through his fillings?

Posted by: drindl | September 15, 2007 1:19 PM

Spelling error: al Queda should be "al Qaida"

Posted by: Tylor Brand | September 15, 2007 1:46 PM

"Every morning, I wake up and just hope another 9-11 hasn't happened overnight."

Hate to say it, but if that happened, my inkling is that Mr Choate, who apparently believes 'they' are coming to get him in Alabama, would think Christmas had come early. Let's hope he doesn't have a seizure should he venture near any of DC's ethnic eateries.

(And to be honest, I don't mind the 'Eagles' getting coverage when what they believe gets accurately quoted.)

Posted by: Nick S | September 15, 2007 3:54 PM

Thanks for being fair and balanced and reporting the concerns of the bedwetter crowd.

Posted by: flounder | September 15, 2007 10:03 PM

Spelling error: "Gathering of Eagles" should be spelled "Americans Embarrassing To The Vast Majority Of Us."

Why do so many news reports keep acting like these groups are equal in quantity-not to mention quality-of protester?

Posted by: big C | September 15, 2007 10:03 PM

You have to admire one thing about Kristinn and The Fweepishly-Inclined:

They always have plenty of temporary sanitary facilities for those who show up. Two or three per person.

Never let it be said they don't have their priorities squared away.

Too bad they don't grok the fact that they represent a constituency of damned near none. That would be a good concept for them to grok.

Posted by: T. Scheisskopf | September 15, 2007 10:30 PM

Gathering of Beagles?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2007 10:31 PM

hmmm...

maybe we should bring back the troops and station them around elementary schools.

Posted by: test | September 15, 2007 10:47 PM

B-b-b-b-but I thought the evil tarrists want to convert us all to Izzlahm first, then kill us all, or wait, where they going to kill us first then convert our dead bodies? Oh I get so confused about these things. I keep hearing how good my wife will look in a burka too. So of course I can count on good pickin Amuricans from AlaBameee to keep our country safe. Yee ha!

Posted by: Alabama Red Neck | September 15, 2007 10:52 PM

C'mon, now.

Covering this embarrassing bed-wetting drama has to be tough on the ego of a belt-way political reporter, right?

Right?

Posted by: misc | September 15, 2007 11:14 PM

I thought we were fighting them over there so we wouldn't have to fight them in our elementary schools here.

Posted by: EWembley | September 15, 2007 11:15 PM

Nice to know our President can still count on the support of fine Americans like the Gathering of Eagles.

Real patriots they are, and the Republican Party should be proud that they represent their base of support.

("Way to turn yourselves in the Yahoo Party, Bozos.")

Posted by: William G. | September 16, 2007 12:38 AM

Posted by: EWembley | September 15, 2007 11:15 PM

---

Once the Liberal Judges took the Bibles out of the elementary schools, it was only a matter of time before the Terrorists became emboldened.

Posted by: William G. | September 16, 2007 12:41 AM

The consequences of being wrong are too great. Im a lifelong Democrat and this scared me. It happened in Russia. You guys should put away your skepticism for a second and maybe take this seriously. God help us if hes right.

Posted by: keith | September 16, 2007 12:55 AM

Shorter Keith:

I was a life long Democrat, until 9/11 showed me how horrible the Soviet Communist Revolution was.

Posted by: Dan | September 16, 2007 1:14 AM

Keith,
Go to pampers dot com and they can fix you right up. Always glad to help a "lifelong Democrat".

Posted by: Peter M. | September 16, 2007 1:18 AM

Wait, Keith, I'm not sure what you're talking about quite. Do you mean the school attack in Beslan? Cuz', Dan here is talking about the Communist Revolution and I think he misread you.

I personally think we shouldn't judge all the counter-protestors by this paranoid redneck and the reporters who listen to him. I was there and some of the Eagles were perfectly rational people. After all, we protestors had more than our share of radical Marxist communists, with whom I do not identify.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2007 1:53 AM

Posted by: Tim | September 16, 2007 1:53 AM

we have nothing to fear but fear itself----we are in trouble

Posted by: joann | September 16, 2007 7:32 AM

We are in no danger from terrorists, and have not been, even during 9/11. 9/11 was a successful one-time raid.

The lunatics on the right are paranoid wacks. I thank the WP for displaying the wackiness. That anyone would say these things out loud indicates either a PROFOUND degree of schizophrenia or ... No "or".

Posted by: POed Lib | September 16, 2007 8:50 AM

Why is it that all paranoid wack Repukeliscum like Keith are such chickenshi.t cowards today? Repukeliscum used to be somewhat brave, but today they cower in fear from some goatherder in Afghanistan.

Chickensh.it cowards like Keith amaze me.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2007 8:53 AM

Folks, America WILL be attacked again, it's only a matter of time. America has had terrorist attacks as far back as I can remember. To live in constant fear of such events is demonstrative of a very small mind incapable of grasping reality. Think OKC bombing. Think Unibomber. In fact, I was about 6-years old when a group of terrorists attacked Congress in 1954 (if I remember correctly). Sadly, there will always be illiterate rednecks who end up drowning because they couldn't get the tail-gate open to swim to safety - as there will always be small groups of disaffected people willing to kill others for their warped beliefs.

Semper Fi

Posted by: Marine1 | September 16, 2007 9:57 AM

We will see whats worse. Bedwetting or running around crying and pissing your pants when you get the news that a terrorist has just killed a hundred or so children in your neighborhood! Countries all over the world have been dealing with terrorism for many years so far we have been fairly lucky. But or luck has run out. 911 was not a one time deal, just the one time it has happened here! So go ahead, keep calling us bedwetting redneck sheep. I would say we will have the last laugh but It will really be a scream of HORROR.

Posted by: Toymaker | September 16, 2007 10:35 AM

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain. "

- "Litany Against Fear", Frank Herbert, Dune

Posted by: MR | September 16, 2007 11:54 AM

"Countries all over the world have been dealing with terrorism for many years so far we have been fairly lucky." - Toymaker

Yes, we have been lucky in that we have been the state sponsor of much of that terrorism. Go us!

Posted by: nwjake | September 16, 2007 12:14 PM

Toymaker:

You seem to miss the point. 9/11/2001 WASN'T the one time it has happened here. In fact, The WTC was attacked previously back in the 90's. We (Americans) have had terrorist attacks made against us for as far back as I can remember (I'm 58). Whether it be Eric Rudolph, Timothy McViegh or Osama bin Laden, the end result is the same...innocent Americans die as result of warped beliefs held by a few.

Every instance of successful counter-terrorism has been made by investigative agencies. That's law enforcement to you. What you seem to desire is constant military warfare against a people whose beliefs are different than your own - based on dubious claims. Or perhaps you're simply a fearful individual, I don't know.

Please do not misunderstand me. I abhor the violence of radical Islam as much as I abhor the violence of radical Christianity. Violence is violence - and when innocent people die I doubt if they concern themselves too much with which faction has killed them. They remain just as dead.

I do not and will not live in fear.

Semper Fi

Posted by: Marine1 | September 16, 2007 12:31 PM

Why is the Post blogging about lunatic fascists?

Posted by: John | September 16, 2007 2:10 PM

Why is the post blogging about lunatic fascists?

This guy is probably howling at the moon right now... and it's daylight on the east coast.

Posted by: John | September 16, 2007 2:11 PM

Having landed here, by link, from that vitriol which is the Daily Kos, I ponder on a thought or two.

"FEARFUL DENIAL MONGERING" comes to mind.

That abstract of rationality from the other side of a mythical universe seeded in the ideology of doom gloom, that vision that is invested in denial and individualistic narcissistic obsesses.

It is that angry idiom of absolute infallibility, bred in urban legends, paying no price for anything, but seemingly knowing the price of everything. It is the free lunch mob embedded in this infallible substance, which, is often fired by the necessity of conspiracy and a logical fallacy in truism that there is an American self-evil that must be vanquished.

Thus, in that fallacy of logic, this alter-nut-root of Doomocarcy must conspire seeking blame and vilification, as to something or someone, always mind you, other than in self.

It is this angry smug Hanoi Jane altered- reality of explanations and punditry in an yet to be seen "peace in our time" view of utopan values that is at the core of this doomocracy. That smug absoluteness spewing anti-something denials saying in generational lost utopan visions, there is not anything to fear at all, only the lies of non-existent dangers flawed in absolute wisdom as inconceivably possible, thus impossible and as such unworthy of forethought and consideration.

Having voted for a war then, as it has not proceeded to their patriotic glorification, these narcissistic voices of Doomocracy with far fewer than normal who sacrifice in this war, are voting against it, oddly in the forethought and wisdom of today, now and in horizons of but the next election.

Saying in justification, in a voice of presumed unquestionable correctness, "pack your bags, turn out the lights, let down the curtain, the show is over."

Stopping but to spin and pundit, with a next election vision and wisdom, to shout down as "fear mongering lairs," those who say there are consequences unspoken of on this road of blinders they now travel in unquestionable visions of absolute foresight to the next election.

Yet, I ask this of this doomocarcy of the loud and uninvolved masses. If they are wrong and there are consequences of mongering fears, as predicted, will they fall on their swords of empty words and short visions, stepping forward in front of those of us who do the dirty work of war, these few to none utopans of doom would do or perhaps even could do?

Posted by: Feral Grognard | September 16, 2007 3:50 PM

Wow, some sell the US way too short. Your're kidding yourself if you think that we cannot do what is needed when it is needed, it's just that we don't need to cower in fear for the rest of our lives (bed wetting mandatory). All the bloviation in the world will not change the fact that we can overcome whatever we need to, even people that would like for us to be bleating sheep, afraid of our own shadows. Take your fear somewhere else, we've seen enough in the last few years to last us a lifetime.

Posted by: Bat Guano | September 16, 2007 4:36 PM

feral, you expect us to wade through that florid pool of wankery?

Posted by: misc | September 16, 2007 5:16 PM

Is this the Washington Post or the Daily Kos - the comments have made me confused.

Posted by: Jonn Lilyea | September 16, 2007 5:35 PM

I was at the protest in Washington yesterday. I came from Florida, marched, carried signs, made noise, and met and talked with others of like mind from all over the country. I spent all day and walked the entire distance from Lafayette Park to the Capitol. If there was a counterprotest "Gathering of Eagles," it was mighty small.

After the revelation a few weeks ago of the administration's memo on how to deal with protesters, I had anticipated and looked for counterprotesting "rally squads," one of the techniques for neutralizing protest spelled out in the memo. The only suggestion of such that I saw was a a few people on one corner along the march route, and, again, I was looking for them. I had to look twice as we walked past to be sure that they were there at all.

The fact that the counterprotest was vanishingly small, despite the "rally squad" tactic, was, I believe, a testament to the state of American opinion on our occupation of Iraq. America has woken up. The catapulted propaganda is no longer working on the vast majority. The fearsome predictions of those who have not been right for four-and-a-half years no longer make us tremble. We know they are wrong, and we know must leave - now. We owe the Iraqis more than just leaving, but leaving is fundamental.

Posted by: Patrick Snyder | September 16, 2007 5:43 PM

I've been investigating the Gathering of Eagles for many months now. To all of you who state that they are reasonable are right to an extent - they are reasonable and kind in everyday matters. But when it comes to their political views, opinions about terrorism, and viewpoints on war they are irrational alarmists to the extreme.

The fear hits a fever pitch when they see people who oppose the war, for whatever reason and are unable or incapable of separating out the groups and reasons for opposition. Everyone gets labeled a communist (or anarchist, or socialist depending on who you talk to, they don't make much of a distinction). I was very clearly told by members of the Eagles that "All are welcome, as long as you agree with us and have the same mindset, 100%" There were no if's and's or but's in this statement.

The man in the article is typical of the Eagles mindset with regards to politics, war, and anti-war protesters. They thrive on propaganda.

Don't kid yourselves, there is a reason they had a poor turnout. People are starting to listen to that little voice inside them, otherwise known as "instinct" and they are now looking for the truth.

Posted by: Anok | September 16, 2007 9:44 PM

Miscellaneous; that which is so malformed, it has no residual to which it has category, thus it wades in the pools of incongruity, where often the tepidity of meekness is a florid yet to bloom into awareness.

Thus giving way to a less developed form of the aforementioned residuals as a cockney wanker of "Perfidious Albion. That mentality so well vested and exampled in the lucidity of that Doomocracy as was posted.

Posted by: Feral gognard | September 17, 2007 6:43 PM

Miscellaneous; that which is so malformed it has no residual to which it has category, thus it wades in the pools of incongruity, where often in the tepidity of meekness is a florid yet to bloom into awareness.

Thus giving way to a less developed form in the aforementioned residuals, as a cockney wanker of "Perfidious Albion. That mentality so well vested and exampled in the lucidity of that Doomocracy as posted.

Posted by: feral Grognard | September 17, 2007 6:47 PM

I'm Ed Tant, a columnist for The Athens (GA) Banner-Herald. I have covered many marches in Washington and consider the Gathering of Eagles to be a gaggle of goosesteppers. At the March 17 antiwar protest in Washington, GOE's large but boorish group looked like a convention of Hell's Angels and Brownshirts for Bush. Glad their numbers have dwindled. See my photos and writings at edtant.com.

Posted by: Ed Tant | September 22, 2007 5:07 PM

Hi, there!..c5cbe95916ec2d1b09e82d04c34fe48a

Posted by: free downloads music | October 7, 2007 7:26 AM

Respect you!
handbags and accessories by Kathy here

Posted by: John | October 25, 2007 1:05 PM

Great site!6e2abd9bb1e7192e3626fd9cbff43f4f

Posted by: Alex Fetcher | October 31, 2007 1:36 PM

Dear Ms. Jordan,

I'm the author of "Storm Over Morocco" which is about a desperate escape from an Islamic sect which accused me of sabotage and imprisoned me. I recently participated in author events in Houston, notably at the Barnes & Noble in Brooklyn and the Mid-Manhattan Library in New York City.

This is a true story about me, the author; I was wrongly accused of being a Zionist spy in 1978 and tried for sabotage, a capital crime, by an extremist Islamic group in Morocco.

While searching for a universal religion in Casablanca, I was invited to study Islam in a mosque; it turned out to be controlled by a militant Moslem group which promptly imprisoned me.

My questions as to the treatment of women served as a catalyst for one of the Islamic gurus to unjustly charge me with being a Zionist spy and sabotage of the "back to Islam" movement. I was eventually acquitted by an internal inquisitorial tribunal, but remained a prisoner behind the towering walls of the mosque located in the outskirts of Casablanca.

This harrowing ordeal was followed by excruciating suspense built up during attempts to escape the 10-foot high compound.

The book is an autobiographical narrative about my spiritual path and about fundamentalist religions and brainwashing techniques. It also discusses the status of women in orthodox/fundamentalist Islamic communities.

I was able to withstand total conversion to an extreme version of Islam due to profound knowledge of different religions and the desire to focus and meditate on the common denominators among them.

"Storm Over Morocco", however, does not criticize Islam and often portrays me as a student who learned a great deal from that religion.

This experience has inspired me to organize and participate in interfaith events including but not limited to fundamentalist Muslims, Jews and Christians in Israel and Palestine

I am a tenured professor at the University of Paris, adjunct professor at Golden Gate University (San Francisco) and member of the California and Marseille Bars.

After a two world author tours (signing and reading events), commencing in February, 2007, and ending in October, in the United States, France, England, Israel and Palestine, covering 35 cities and 12 (US) states, I have returned to Paris.

During that time I was invited to speak before members of the Ashland Unitarian Church in February. In July, I spoke at a conference at Cardiff University at a conference entitled "Theory, Faith, Culture" on the following topic: "Confrontation between Fundamentalists and Universalists in the New Age of Religious Freedom".

I later was interviewed by a New York radio station which is to be broadcasted at the end of October and was a participant during a panel discussion concerning spiritual issues broadcasted live by a Houston Time Warner television station. Finally, I gave a power point presentation about my book and interfaith activities at the Mid-Manhattan Library in New York City in October.

Two reviews have already been published and can be found at my web site at: www.frankromano363.com and my publisher's web site at on my New York publisher's website at www.worldaudience.org.

Would you consider writing and publishing a review of the book? In the alternative, would you consider writing a feature story about my experiences in Morocco?

I can send you a pdf copy of the book or a hard copy. For more information about the book, including a copy of the prologue and my bio you could access my web site at www.frankromano363.com. You can also find the book at www.amazon.com and at the publisher's site noted above.

You can contact me at any time by calling my cell number or sending an email. The following is my contact information: Cell: 011 33 6 7827 9607, Email: frankfro@aol.com.

Sincerely,