G.V. Loganathan

If you would like to share a tribute or your memories of G.V. Loganathan with others, please enter your thoughts below. We'll post them after reviewing what you've said, and correcting any spelling or grammatical mistakes.

Link: G.V. Loganathan's profile.

By washingtonpost.com editors |  April 18, 2007; 2:36 PM ET

Tributes

This is a great tragedy, and I really feel for the family: wife, daughters, parents, siblings. Having a similar family like his in this country and in the Indian sub-continent, I know precisely what they are going through. It must be heart-wrenching, especially to face death in this most unexpected and tragic manner.

I am a professor in the same field, hydrology, that Professor Loganathan was a specialist in. His first journal article, published with his advisor Professor Jacques Delleur in 1982, gave me a head-start in my own research. I had always wanted to meet him, but this never eventuated (because I moved to Australia, and moved back only recently).

However, two months ago he contacted me to ask me to do a review of an article for the Journal of Hydrologic Engineering that he was editor of. I did that (he was most professional in respect of that review) and we discussed the possibility of meeting soon. Now this will not happen.

No amount of consolation will bring Professor Loganathan back, or alleviate the family's sufferings, but I wanted them to know that the whole world mourns with them.

Murugesu Sivapalan, Professor of Geography and Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana

Posted by: Murugesu Sivapalan | April 18, 2007 07:16 PM

Shocked to know the sad encounter my collegemate "GV" had. We were doing our graduation years together in PSG Tech,Coimbatore,India. He was my sort of 'idol' for gentle behaviour,caring and courteous.
O God you could have some reason for taking away GV from us but I could not understand why you are so cruel to my friend.
May the almighty give the family members the strength to overcome such a "brutal" losss.
A Chandran,Republic Polytechnic,Singapore

Posted by: A Chandran | April 19, 2007 06:04 AM

Virginia Tech will always remeber for his eduational services.

Posted by: suvas patel | April 19, 2007 10:46 PM

My condolences to the family of Mr Loganathan.

Posted by: Aamir Ali | April 20, 2007 12:02 AM

A brutal massacre seldom happens in U.S.Getting amunitions is rather easily as buying vegetables in U.S.it seems.My hearty condolence to those who lost their unbondable relations.

Posted by: R A PRINCE | April 20, 2007 04:28 AM

What a shocking news it was! May God help Dr Loganathan's family and friends!

Posted by: Narayana Subramaniam | April 20, 2007 11:54 AM

Professor Loganathan you were an outstanding person and teacher. You taught students lessons of education and of life. You taught students both directly and indirectly. You taught by explanation and by example. You led an exemplary life and your legacy will live on in all of the students you have touched.

Posted by: Jay Napier | April 20, 2007 01:30 PM

May the family get strength to deal with this great loss. My thoughts are with you.

Posted by: Sue | April 20, 2007 02:05 PM

My heartfelt condolensces from Toronto canada

Posted by: | April 20, 2007 02:28 PM

It is really sad to see so many innocent people getting killed due to a lunatic person.

Life is precious. It is tough to get back life. My heartfelt condolences to each and every family of those killed.

May God help them to cope up this tragedy

Posted by: Sridhar | April 20, 2007 02:40 PM

VaTech sufferred a big loss in losing such as a dedicated and outstanding professor. While nothing is very effective against a suicidal killer, US should consider banning easy access to firearms.

Posted by: S.Roy | April 20, 2007 04:31 PM

Rest in Peace

Posted by: | April 20, 2007 04:52 PM

Dr Loganathan and family: I´m from Brazil, but my soul is Indian. I´m so sorry. May Lord Krishna take care of you all. Be peaceful like all the Great India´sons.

Posted by: Sonia | April 20, 2007 05:17 PM

It's terrible.

May God give more strength to his family to bear this irrecoverable loss.

J.Ramaswamy

Posted by: J.Ramaswamy | April 20, 2007 09:44 PM

Dr. Loganathan was a fantastic teacher and one I will never forget. He made learning fun with his quiet humor and ready smile. He was always available for even the most mundan questions. My husband and I met in one of his hydraulic labs and we will always have fond memories of him. God bless him and the others killed in this senseless tragedy.

Posted by: Erin and Kevin Snyder | April 21, 2007 03:21 AM

How horrible things can get? One morning he wakes up goes to work and is killed so brutally....

I am completely baffled by the thought that Virgina Tech did not choose to inform students that an armed killer was amiss in the campus. There is some explaining to do by VT.

May God give strength and courage to Dr. Loganathan's family both in USA & India. May God rest Dr. Loganthan's soul in peace.

Posted by: P J | April 21, 2007 07:41 AM

Dr. Loganathan was my professor for a Hydraulics class in 1990. My memory of some of my former professors is hazy, but Dr. Loganathan I remember very clearly. He made more of an effort to learn the name of every student than any other professor I had. I also remember that if a student had a question or a look on their face that showed they didn't understand something, Dr. Loganathan would not move on with the lesson until he was absolutely sure that the student understood the concept. He truly cared about every student and it was obvious that he loved being a professor. A terrible loss.

Posted by: David Marshall | April 21, 2007 11:05 AM

May God Bless Dr.G.V's soul and help his family heal through these troubled times.

Posted by: NAGARAJAN SIVAKUMAR | April 21, 2007 02:12 PM

Posted by: NAGARAJAN SIVAKUMAR | April 21, 2007 02:13 PM

I was very shocked and saddened to lear the tragic death of Dr. G.V. Loganathan. I knew him for last 20 years and he worked with me in various research projects for the last 12 years. He was perfect gentleman, very soft spoken, always smiling, very simple in nature. He used to respect his students very much. I am going to miss him rest of my life. My deepest condolences to his family.

Posted by: Dr. Arun Deb | April 22, 2007 11:56 AM

MAY THIS GREAT SOUL REST IN PEACE. WE ARE PROUD TO BE INDIANS THAT BELONG TO THE COUNTRY TO WHICH PROF.LOGANATHAN BELONGED. HEART FELT CONDOLENCES TO THE BEREAVED FAMILY.

Posted by: Prof.Sankarrao | April 22, 2007 08:28 PM

Dr. Loganathan's death was untimely and tragic.
My heartfelt condolences to his wife and children from a fellow Tamilian, who is Malaysian

May God bless his soul

Posted by: Florence Nagaratnam | April 23, 2007 02:03 AM

My condolences to the family. Any amount of words will not be enough to fill the void that Dr GV has left for his family and friends. He has had a full life, and has many to remember him....

I am not his student or even live in US, but being an Indian, I am proud of his achievements in his field. May God give his family strength to cope with this loss.

Posted by: Parul | April 23, 2007 07:44 AM

This is to the Nation that mourns for this great man. From my Nation to your Nation my condolences and prayers are with during this time of loss. He was a great man with a heart for teaching and he did it so very well. You should be so proud.

Posted by: Jennifer DePew | April 26, 2007 02:30 PM

Ram Ram Dr. L.
We love you and wish you all good things!

Posted by: John | April 26, 2007 10:18 PM