Matthew G. Gwaltney

If you would like to express your condolences, offer a tribute or share your memories of Matthew G. Gwaltney with others, please enter your thoughts below. We'll post them after reviewing what you've said, and correcting any spelling or grammatical mistakes. »Profile of Matthew G. Gwaltney.

By Hal Straus |  April 18, 2007; 5:51 PM ET

Tributes

I was privileged enough to have Matt as my GTA (graduate teaching assistant) in an introductory engineering course at Virginia Tech. As a student seeking his Master's Degree, he taught freshman students the basics of engineering.

He took a difficult, tiring, and often redundant class and made it bearable, funny, and an overall enjoyable experience. Matt was very intelligent, and more importantly, concerned and dedicated to the education and overall well-being of his students. The Virginia Tech community and the world in general has been robbed of a talented engineer, an extraordinary teacher, and a great friend.

Posted by: Billy Rowland | April 18, 2007 08:12 PM

We are friends of Diane and Bob and we are so very sorry. We extend to you all our sympathy and comfort at this most difficult time. You are in our prayers.

Gloria and Dick Hamly

Posted by: Gloria and Dick Hamly | April 19, 2007 07:16 PM

you will be missed

Posted by: shanae myrick | April 20, 2007 10:01 AM

I would like to send my deepest sympathies for the family and friends. May you be strong at this time of sorrow and may you keep the memory close to your heart always, accompanied with a smile through the tears...

***

Time, a second
Time, a minute
Time, an hour
Time, a day
Time, a week
Time, a month
Time, a year
One step at a time, into this darkness
One step at a time, into this unknown madness

By Kylli

***

Posted by: Kylli | April 20, 2007 11:23 AM

I was deeply saddened when I found out that my great friend Matt lost his life Monday morning. I have been friends with Matt and his family since I was 8 years old. He was an awesome person that could make anyone smile. He will be forever missed, but never forgotten. My thoughts and prayers go out to Matt and his family, and to the rest of the victims and families that were affected by this horrific tragedy.

Posted by: Drew Carroll Age 24 Chester, VA | April 20, 2007 11:53 AM

Sometimes it makes me sad, though,
Matt being gone. I have to remind
myself that some birds aren't meant
to be caged, that's all. Their
feathers are just too bright...

and when they fly away, the part
of you that knows it was a sin to
lock them up does rejoice...but still,
the place you live is that much more
drab and empty that they're gone.

I guess I just miss my friend

Posted by: excerpts from Stephen King, "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption | April 20, 2007 12:36 PM