Matthew J. La Porte

If you would like to express your condolences, offer a tribute or share your memories of Matthew J. La Porte with others, please enter your thoughts below. We'll post them after reviewing what you've said, and correcting any spelling or grammatical mistakes. »Profile of Matthew J. La Porte.

By Hal Straus |  April 18, 2007; 3:50 PM ET

Tributes

I with heartfelt pass my sincere condolesence to the family of La Porte for the terrifying death of their son. I will pray with you always and may almighty God shower his blessings into your family.My greetings to you are Psalm 23.

Posted by: susan matsepiso moshabesha | April 19, 2007 10:14 AM

I am deeply sorry for your loss. My son died of a gunshot wound also, so I understand your confusion and shock. Please reach out to all that you can to help you get through this terrible time. My prayers are with you.

Posted by: Becky C | April 19, 2007 11:53 AM

Matthew looks like he could be related to my La Porte family. If you are descended from French Canadians I am certain we are distant cousins. As a mother, I can't even imagine the pain of loosing a child. My prayers are with you.

Posted by: Mary La Porte | April 19, 2007 03:21 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. My heart is broken for all the victims and the life that was taken from them.

Posted by: Leslie | April 19, 2007 07:03 PM

Rest in peace

Posted by: Phyle R | April 20, 2007 07:21 AM

I would like to send my deepest sympathies for the family and friends. May you be strong at this time of sorrow and may you keep the memory close to your heart always, accompanied with a smile through the tears...

***

Time, a second
Time, a minute
Time, an hour
Time, a day
Time, a week
Time, a month
Time, a year
One step at a time, into this darkness
One step at a time, into this unknown madness

By Kylli

***

Posted by: Kylli | April 20, 2007 11:27 AM

I pray for your son for I am sure he is with God!

May he rest in peace!

Posted by: Vincent Sciarrino | April 20, 2007 02:25 PM

I feel a great deal of sorrow for all that have been affected by this and I think it shows great love and strength that the families and those affected have choose to act with dignity. I personally am boycotting CBS and NBC.

Posted by: ali hinkle | April 20, 2007 04:24 PM

Matthew sounds like a young man who brought a great deal of joy into the lives of people around him. Such a tragedy that he was taken so early in life and in such a horrible way. We pray that his family will find solace in the thought that he accomplished much in his young life and now is in paradise for all eternity. God bless you.

Posted by: Bob | April 20, 2007 11:59 PM

What a loss, what a TERRIBLE loss...no parent should bury a child and my heart breaks for what you are going through right now...

please know MANY in the world are thinking of you and praying for you...

Michael Smith

Posted by: Michael Smith | April 21, 2007 12:11 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I went to school with Matthew at CL when i was in 7th grade, and was absolutely shocked to hear what happened. My deepest regrets and sympathies to the La Porte family, this world has lost a very special individual.

Posted by: Robert M. | April 21, 2007 10:27 AM

My sincerest condolences for your loss.

Posted by: A Grier Girl | April 21, 2007 12:06 PM

Please accept my sympathy for your awful and painful loss. It is senseless and tragic and I am sure your grief must be unbearable. Your family and friends will see you through each day.

Posted by: Allen | April 21, 2007 05:50 PM

My deepest sympathies for your loss. My prayers are with the family & friends of Matthew Joseph La Porte

Posted by: Nicole | April 22, 2007 01:19 AM

Dear Friends,

The events we heard about and saw on television Monday from Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Virginia were extremely disturbing and horrifying. Our thoughts and prayers are going out to the families and friends who lost loved ones to this senseless act of violence, we will continue to pray for the Lord to comfort and heal everyone affected by this terrible act. It’s difficult to understand how and why something like this could happen. Oftentimes, in the face of overwhelming tragedy, we wonder why a loving God would allow so much injury and loss of life. We ask, “Why didn’t He prevent it?” “Why didn’t He do something?” My friends, no one knows the answer to that question. But what we do know is that God is still in control.

The most powerful thing we can do at this time is to cry out to God for the grieving families of those precious students, for their friends, the faculty and the entire student body. The days, weeks and months ahead will be a long and difficult healing process. The apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 is most encouraging when he says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God; For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.”

Matthew Joseph La Porte along with all the names of the students will be remember at our mass for weeks to come may God truly bless you.

Posted by: Sean Mitchell | April 23, 2007 02:58 AM