Official Notice

Our company commander delivered official word of the deployment in June, during our 2 weeks of summer training.
We were on a charter bus preparing for departure from our installation, to the Soldier Readiness Processing (SRP) station, a process which most of us have endured several times before, knowing it was practice. We all were given an opportunity to read the orders. I remember thinking to myself "This time SRP is for real."
I sent this email to my father with the press release.
Dad-
Here is the official word! I am not sure how to tell Mom.
L,
Bert

By Bert Stover |  August 31, 2005; 5:05 AM ET  | Category:  Family
Previous: About 'Reporting for Duty'... | Next: Thoughts as I received the order

Comments

Where are you being deployed? Is there a base where you will be able to receive mail? You know, the old fashioned kind that arrives sloowly in the mail? It's fortunate that soldiers can benefit from email access, but I believe you only get an hour a day, or at least that was what a friend of mine was alloted in Baghdad. Would you rather strangers post support here, or send snail mail?

Posted by: Rosa La Riveter | August 31, 2005 01:41 PM

Thank you for your service. Do your job and come back safely. Heroes too often get their title posthumously.

Posted by: Marine wife | August 31, 2005 04:53 PM

I just returned. Be patient and maintain a sense of humor, and try to meet as many Iraqis as possible. Their support will sustain you more than you may imagine. The war is 99% boredom, 1% pure hell.

Posted by: Sneaky Joe | August 31, 2005 10:16 PM

Can I have your girlfriends telephone number?

Posted by: John Brown | September 3, 2005 08:22 PM

Any chance that your orders will be changed and that you will sent to help with the Katrina relief effort?

Do you have any thoughts about how the deployments to Iraq have affected the Guard's ability to respond to disasters at home -- hurricanes, wild fires, etc.?

Posted by: Interested Reader | September 4, 2005 02:18 PM

IhaveabrotherthatIamlikeforTHatheinMilitygermany

Posted by: GloriaEotero | September 6, 2005 11:19 PM

the only soldiers i support are those who
refuse to fight in this illegal, immoral,
unjustifiable and violent invasion.

Posted by: conscientious objector | September 8, 2005 02:30 PM

-- "conscientious objector" So when were you there? You obviously have a first rate knowledge of the "facts", so you must have seen and talked to alot of Iraqis. You know, heard how they feel about it first hand, and maybe even spoke with some of the Kurds who where maimed, or lost loved ones in Saddams gas attacks. How many FREE Shia's and Kurds told you this war was "illegal", and "unjustified". And yes, I agree, the invasion was "violent. they rarely work any other way. Go experience life, before you have an opinion on it. I have.

Posted by: INFORMED reader | September 8, 2005 02:57 PM

-- "conscientious objector" So when were you there? You obviously have a first rate knowledge of the "facts", so you must have seen and talked to alot of Iraqis. You know, heard how they feel about it first hand, and maybe even spoke with some of the Kurds who where maimed, or lost loved ones in Saddams gas attacks. How many FREE Shia's and Kurds told you this war was "illegal", and "unjustified". And yes, I agree, the invasion was "violent". They rarely work any other way. Go experience life, before you have an opinion on it. I have.

Posted by: INFORMED reader | September 8, 2005 02:58 PM

Just a quick note to say thank you for your service to this country. Too often our own people here in the U.S. chastise our servicemembers for taking part in wars. I am a former servicemember myself and took the same oath as everyone else "To support and defend the Constitution of the United States". I remember back in Desert Storm people we holding signs that said No Blood for Oil. Well, our economic conditions are a part of National Security so in essence we are fighting to maintain ourselves.

Posted by: Bob | September 8, 2005 03:14 PM

Be safe and watch your back! I don't approve of any kind of war! But I will pray for you and any other that is fighting for Freedom the same way that I pray for my future daughter-in-law who has been in Iraq for the past 10 months. Believe me, I pray very hard!!!

Posted by: A Future Mother-in-Law | September 8, 2005 06:31 PM

To conscentious objestor. Oh you lead such a life of dillisuion. Where would you be if not for Our Fore fathers, that fought and died for this country, so that you could set on your pious but and complain. Until you go and do the job don't brag. If not for all the hero's that have fought in the past and will in the future so that you and others like you can live in a free country and collect all the freebies that the goverment give you. I say Get a life. Fom a Loving and caring Grandmother that has suffered the loss of Loved ones but stiill So PROUD to Say GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GOD HELP US FROM THOSE THAT DON"T CARE. Joyce

Posted by: Grandmother of a HERO | September 9, 2005 03:32 PM

I was a civilian contractor at the presidential palace in the greenzone depending on your job there it is pleasant once you get used to the explosions (they rarely hit anything of importance)I left for the safety of Kuwait and was injured there (damn Kuwaiti drivers) anyway at least you will be there as the weather cools as the summers are very hot (I am from AZ so I tolerated it better than most)
BE SAFE and enjoy the pool there.

Posted by: johnman142@yahoo.com | September 10, 2005 03:34 PM

our forefather are equivalent to the iraqi
fasthers of today, and you current gi's
are equivalent to king george's redcoats.

i served my time as a 96c and i became a
consientious objector because of it.

Posted by: conscientious objector | September 10, 2005 07:33 PM

conscientious objector i think you are a disgrace to the uniform i served and was there for the initial invasion (3ID). i don't know how long you were in but i think it is a shame that you would not support the soldiers that are sacrificing their lives everyday. you probably were a private who thought he knew everything.nobody wants to be over there but they understand that it has to be done. you raised your right hand swearing to support and DEFEND and now that time comes and you want to find a easy way out. that is bullshit. those soldiers are defending you and your family so that you can live free and prosperous. i hope you get a clue. if it was up to me there would not be a way to get out of shit like this. ultimatly you signed up knowing there was a possibility that you might have to fight a war so blame yourself not the soldiers. but its good that you are out because themilitary does not need people like u in these ranks. people like you should be shot. but two the soldiers who are depolyed i say to you "rock steady" and to my division ROCK OF THE MARNE

Posted by: sgtjones | September 10, 2005 08:21 PM

conscientious objector,if you are widely read and have placed yourself in the shoes of those who are on the receiveing end of and are not involve in all the greed that caused war and sufferings then you will welcome some countries who are brave enough who will come to their aid and their countrymen risking their lives- to me i will say keep up the good work and god bless- as for you c o it is better if you read more.UN ? ? ?

Posted by: outsider | September 11, 2005 06:05 AM

I just wanted to let you and your fellow service men & women know how proud of you we are here in the center of the USA!! Please be safe, support each other, write or call home as often as you can...and know that we are grateful for your sacrifice and the sacrifice of your families. My family and I and our community are PROUD to be AMERICANS and support our troops 200%!!! Come home safe....I'll be praying for you all!!~~Chris

Posted by: Truckinlady66 | September 11, 2005 09:07 AM

To the conscientous objector. You and the rest of your ilk fall in the category of "Useful Idiots". Sounds like you are another smarmy, over-educated individual who should know the background of that term. If not, you should look it up.

Posted by: Hawk | September 12, 2005 09:16 PM

Bret, Come home safe. As the daughter of someone who was in the Air Force for 24 years I know it will be a trying time for your family. Come home safe and know that there are people supporting all the troops in the sand. Good luck and thank you for your service to our country.

Posted by: MilitaryBrat | September 13, 2005 01:39 AM

Be safe, be well, be strong and know there are people supporting you. Stay true to your orders. No matter what I may think of the war and such, I belive in backing the men and women who are there. Thank you for doing, what I'm unable to do....serving this country

Posted by: angels wings | September 13, 2005 02:27 AM

i hope you return safely!

BUSH ought to really come clean as to WHY we did everything we did in AFGHANISTAN AND IRAQ. Soldiers are being used as PAWNS,, while bush is hiding the real reasons behind the curtains.
Democracy needed to access the OIL!
Afghanistan = Caspian Sea OIL and BTC Pipeline and TAPS Pipeline.
Iraq = Currency WAR started by Saddam on 11/2000 when he announced to the world that oil would ONLY be sold in EUROS not Dollars. Good Bye World Reserve Currency.
This is WHY you are in IRAQ. First barrel shipped out of IRAQ last year was done in DOLLARS. The currency was changed back to the dollar by the USA puppets! Further, if you read the fine print of the USA and IRAQ agreements... the USA has final words on everything that happens in IRAQ!

Posted by: | September 16, 2005 08:37 AM

Well I may be from Canada but I do believe in whats going on, what has been done was done for a good reason and I back that up 100% myself. Anyways be safe and I wish you a good return.

Posted by: java | September 18, 2005 09:49 PM

Hey Bro, take care over there. Email, call or write home often. Your friends and family will be worrying and praying for you! My family was always very happy to hear from me when I was there. Come back safe!

Posted by: OIF Marine | September 19, 2005 04:03 AM

Ignore the objector! Using a post like this for liberal rhetoric is tasteless. I am proud of you for serving. He is a coward and an idiot. What kind of individual changes status from soldier to CO? Its not people like him that makes this country strong its people like you. Maybe he will save his posting and show it to his kids some day- I am sure they will be proud that he took a pop shot at brother in uniform who did nothing less than fullfill an oath and protect our way of life. Thankyou again for your service- your a hero

PS- CO- Afganistan happend cause terrorists flew planes into our buildings-Because of Bin Laden not Bush you moron

Posted by: steve | September 20, 2005 05:51 PM

Be safe and know that you are in my prayers along with my son who is in a FOB somewhere near Kirkuk. As for the cc, Thank God he's not there as our military doesn't need anyone like that to have to watch out for. Our military have a job to do and are doing it very well in spite of the lack of truth we get back here. Thank you for your service.

Posted by: EOD MOM | September 20, 2005 05:52 PM

Please be safe, I was an army Nurse during the Vietnam war and know how terrible the war can be and the way in which young men risk and sometimes lose their lives. I was assigned to FT Sam Houston in the burn unit and many a young man came through our facility. I have been married now for 37 years to a former Special Forces medic and know how difficult it is to have our love ones in harms way Please stay safe and God bless

Posted by: Jeannie | September 27, 2005 08:22 PM

Bert, you have my respect and my best wishes that you and your fellow troops will come home safely, knowing that you have done well what many others have only paid lip service to.As a former 82nd Abn. grunt,I can only offer you my prayers as I know what you face daily. As to the concientious objector, I can offer only my pity that he is such a disgrace to his former brothers in uniform--obviously the Army knew a thing or two when they didn't try to reenlist him! Take care and Godspeed. Airborne!

Posted by: tony | September 27, 2005 10:49 PM

bravo contientous objector, it takes a real man to stand up for what he believes in! Osama is not in Iraq.

Posted by: | September 30, 2005 12:51 AM

Do your duty..

Watch your buddies back and he will watch yours...

aim center of mass and squeeze....

"It's better to be lucky than good"...

kgl > vet of Cambodia-73, Desert Storm-91 and OIF-1.

Posted by: kgl | October 6, 2005 12:28 PM