They Actually Want Me to Blog

As soon as I returned home with my deployment orders, I emailed Jim Brady asking him if he would still be interested in my writing about 'Reporting for Duty'. I expected him to say he'd thought it over and decided to pass. I actually ended up getting a reply inviting me to a meeting in his office with a few of the other editors.

To say the least, I left the meeting in awe. I never thought washingtonpost.com would be interested in my story. This is far more of an opportunity than I could have ever imagined, especially after my interpretation of Jim's comments at Chipotle.

I was on the hook for two things after the meeting. I would provide some writing samples and coordinate with the Army and the Virginia Army National Guard as to the rules and regulations I will need to consider.

By Bert Stover |  September 6, 2005; 5:15 AM ET  | Category:  Work
Previous: New Careers | Next: Operational Security

Comments

WO Stover and washingtonpost.com:
Congrats on your decision to maintain the blog. Citizens need to hear from their troops directly - within opsec, obviously - about the activites carried out on our behalf under the President's order.

Be well.

Posted by: Marine Wife | September 6, 2005 10:04 AM

Oh, wonderful. Just what the world needs, another military-censored blog.

In one way, you are better person than George W. Bush. After all, you are fighting for your country's honor -- which is more than Bush ever did.

Posted by: E. Etage | September 6, 2005 12:05 PM

Would you share the rules and regulations that you are working under with us so we can understand your writings in context?

Good luck in Iraq

Posted by: David P. | September 6, 2005 01:17 PM

God speed.

Posted by: Mark H. | September 6, 2005 03:56 PM

If this blog is going to be militarily censored, it will not be an authentic blog.

Posted by: badgervan | September 6, 2005 04:32 PM

Badgervan, just what makes an authentic blog in your mind? Do you even know what "within OPSEC" means?

Good luck Chief

Posted by: Yankee | September 6, 2005 04:55 PM

I have a son-in-law that is a Corporal in the US Marines and ready for his 2nd tour of duty in January 06. His biggest concern about the war> The media only reports on the "Bad" happenings over there. Why doesn't any of the media sources do a story on the "Good" we are doing?" Very good question. Our heros are protecting us and doing all those good things over there and the media wants to talk about everything, but that. Disgusting!

Posted by: Skip Stover | September 8, 2005 05:05 PM

A MilBlog is no more censored than the typical embed journalist is when reporting on the war. The rules and regulation are the same. Since blogging from the front is fairly new, it is only wise that the adminstration place some sort of written policy. OPSEC is an issue for all, something journalist continue to have hissy fits over, arguing they've been denied their freedom of speech. Those in the military understand the importance of OPSEC and freedom of speech better than anyone. They're dying for it.

If you need proof of uncensored MilBlogs, maybe you need to visit the largest military community in the blogoshpere, The MilBlogs Ring http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=MiliBlogs;id=1;action=list

A good part of these GI's are deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan and currently blogging freely.

Posted by: Mrs Greyhawk | September 9, 2005 04:12 AM

"Our heros are protecting us"

From what???

Osama is in Afghanistan...

It's four years after 9/11 2001 and he is still going about his business - Bali (2002), Madrid (2004), London (2005)

Posted by: Supertzar | September 9, 2005 05:30 PM

Bert,
This is a great website. Period. Always remember, we (all military, past and present) protect the rights of all American Citizens to speak their opinions and enjoy the freedom to express those opinions. The woman outside of the Presidents ranch, the people to your blog, everyone, every opinion. This is what makes our nation truly great, in the fact that we can all have our own thoughts and opinions. I am proud to be a part of their right to do this, as I know you are too. We volunteered, we do what is asked and put our lives on the line if needed, so that our future continues to guarantee these freedoms. This is why I put on the uniform as my father did. This is why I will go overseas, as are you. To all out there who choose to voice their opinions, I say thank you for proving our worth as soldiers to keep the freedom our nation stands for. To all out there who support our military, THANK YOU. There is no way of every telling all of you just how much this means to us.
A young girl of maybe 10, along with her mother stopped me in an airport and simply said 'thank you'. An older woman, stopped me in a supermarket and gave me a hug.
I have never put the uniform on for ribbons or applause, however, a simple thank you is the greatest gift of all.

Posted by: CW2 Farabaugh | September 10, 2005 12:50 AM

Osama bin Laden is celebrating today...

He's got 4 candles on his cake

1. NY/Washington (2001)
2. Bali (2002)
3. Madrid (2003)
4. London (2005)

Four years after he's still out there...

Posted by: Supertzar | September 11, 2005 05:22 PM

Best Wishes to you Bert (and your family),

I did my stint back in the early/mid 70's in the AF. Yeah, I understood (real quick) as to what my value was as long as I showed up, and shut up. Obtained my degree some 10 years later.
Something to think about from voices of those who've commanded (in the past) which has yet to been absorbed by its citizens(and, probably, never will)..."War is a Racket" by Former Marine Corp Major General Smedley Butler (full text version)

Posted by: SpaceCowBoy... | September 15, 2005 01:17 PM

The best to you.......
Your "thanks" comes everytime you look in the mirror.

Posted by: Neil01907 | October 31, 2005 07:30 AM