Home for the Holidays... Last Time Until DEC. 2007

Last week we were granted 12 days leave for the holidays, returning via Marine Corps C-130s from Yuma to Richmond. For a couple of weeks the logistics of exactly how we would return to Richmond were in doubt, causing some soldiers to purchase tickets home, guaranteeing their departure (too often some have seen plans fall through). For those that did exercise the cargo plane option, we would like to thank the Marine Corps for the ride. We owe you one.

With the exception of those individuals lucky enough to draw mid-tour leave during the 2006 holiday season, this will be the last time most of us enjoy the holidays with our families and friends until December 2007. Of course the recent announcement of troop reductions has many family members and friends asking us if we will still have to go. Our responses indicate the unrealistic nature of their inquiries, but we do understand their concern.

Next week we will assemble one last time in Richmond for a farewell ceremony before returning to Ft. Dix, N.J. and Yuma, Ariz., on our way out of the country.

By Bert Stover |  December 28, 2005; 3:10 PM ET  | Category:  Preparation for Departure
Previous: Training Exercise 'Desert Talon' ... | Next: Farewell Fatigue: CW4 Dave Higginbotham

Comments

Happy Holidays to all! Tell your Commander (and my great friend) hello and Merry Christmas to all of you! You are in our prayers and we are behind you 110%!

Posted by: CW3 Gordon Cimoli | December 29, 2005 09:16 AM

Merry Christmas to all. Glad to hear you were in safe hands for the holiday trip to Richmond (Semper Fi). Hope the out and in was fruitful and everyone returned in one piece. What is the return date to RIC. I'd like to bid a final farewell before your S.W. Asia vacation starts.

I saw "Smoke" on BET comedy hour. How subtle to wear your flight suit to the theater. Did he also sell copies of his dad's movie ?

Keep the moving parts pointed skyward. Hope to catch you all in RIC before deployment.

Posted by: W. L. Adams (Retired) | January 2, 2006 09:20 PM

Great Blog! I have enjoyed following the progress of the unit. I hope you all enjoyed the holidays. Bert - Deb, Allison and Betsy all say hello and you are in our thoughts. Keep safe!

Posted by: Chris Durden | January 3, 2006 10:25 AM

Wow a two year deployment, December 2005 to December 2007! The rules must have changed for reserve deployment. I'm not surprised. Best of luck to you and your fellow soldiers.

Posted by: Bill Kaszyc | January 4, 2006 09:38 AM

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this and keep us updated! I appreciate being able to read some of what you are going through! Take care!

Posted by: Shelley Pridgen | January 5, 2006 10:56 AM

You fellows are the best in the world. I pray for you each day, that you may return quickly, hwole and sound, mission completed. It's outrageous that you have such a lengthy deployment; I tried--with my vote for J. Kerry! Good luck. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO.

Posted by: Mary Schwindt | January 5, 2006 12:42 PM