Arrival Camp Victory, Kuwait

After leaving the airport, we traversed roads that all looked the same, lined with lights and mostly empty except for our convoy of buses.

We arrived at Camp Victory after what seemed to be a short ride, mostly due to my falling in and out of sleep from being awake for most of the preceding 24 hours. We were herded off of the buses, assembled into a welcome brief and issued our live ammunition. We downloaded our baggage, found our tents and then the chow hall for a midnight meal, called midrats.

After chow, most of us took advantage of the Internet cafe to try to notify home that we had all made it this far. I tried several times to call my parents using the free Internet telephony service Skype. Unable to let them hear my voice, I opted to email them and call it a night just after 2:30 a.m. local time on Feb. 7.

By Bert Stover |  February 15, 2006; 1:13 PM ET  | Category:  Departure
Previous: Arrival Kuwait 18:30 7FEB06 | Next: Arrival Al Asad, Iraq 9FEB06

Comments

My son, Cpl Adam Davis, USMC, just left Yuma. He is with the 513th and is part of the logistics team leaving before the rest of his outfit goes to Iraq. He is setting things up early so that the Harrier unit can hit the ground running. He is on his way to Al Asad air base but he thinks he might be stopping in Kuwait before heading to Iraq.

I really enjoy reading your diary, as my son is a man a few words but lots of passion.

God bless all of you that serve our country and put it all on the line for our way of life.

Jack Davis

Posted by: Jack Davis | February 16, 2006 10:38 AM

Welcome to Camp Victory.

Let me know if you need anything.

Kinton, MAJ, CA
Camp Slayer
thomas.s.kinton@iraq.centcom.mil

Posted by: tomkinton | February 17, 2006 10:02 AM

Bert,
I think you'll really like the showers at Camp Victory. They are open stalls so you check out the other guys in your unit (like that cute little blond guy). You can really get to chekc out some meat and even watch as guys wash all over.
Enjoy!!!
Kinton

Posted by: tomkinton | February 20, 2006 12:52 PM

Kinton, if this is supposed to be a joke or something to garner a laugh...you've failed in the most pathetic way! This is a war sir, not a "feeding ground" for a deviant lifestyle! OOOooRah!!!

Posted by: Big_Dawg | February 21, 2006 11:03 AM

I'm a little disgusted by the comments made by MAJ Kinton. What kind of MAJ are you?!! It is certainly not funny and in my opinion VERY inappropriate!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: military wife | February 21, 2006 11:29 AM

I beg your pardon, Big_Dawg, but WAR is a deviant lifestyle. It is not funny and in my opinion VERY inappropriate.

Posted by: observer | February 21, 2006 12:56 PM

I happen to know Bert and know that he is gay. With that said, as gay man, I think you'd really like a shower room full of naked soldiers. Almost all the showers here are open and you can see everything

Posted by: tomkinton | February 21, 2006 01:42 PM

A thousand to one, Tom Kinton is not a major, but he is a big fat liar. this blog.

In this don't ask, don't tell military, why would he want to "out" himself and undermine the success of Bert's blog/diary?

Posted by: Hazeltine Dooley | February 21, 2006 02:01 PM

See? I can pretend to be MAJ Kinton too! Idiots. So take a valium Military Wife--everything will be alright.

Posted by: tomkinton | February 21, 2006 03:09 PM

It IS ALRIGHT "tomkinton", because the real Maj. Kinton is aware of what you are doing.

Posted by: PATE'S MOM | February 21, 2006 04:11 PM

Bert, I am deploying to Camp Victory in the near future. Is Skype authorized/loaded in the Cafe? Elsewhere? Did you get it working. Should I bring/send you some hardware?

Posted by: Hedgehog | February 21, 2006 09:01 PM

The Post wishes to retract all of the above statements. They were not made by an Army Major. They were posted by one of our employees.
This thread is now closed.

Posted by: Editor | February 22, 2006 03:46 AM

Really?

Posted by: observer | February 22, 2006 08:21 AM

This thread is not closed and the "closure" and the statement that an employee posted false comments are fakes.

Posted by: observer | February 22, 2006 08:22 AM

I think the Editor is a meat gazer.

Posted by: Observer's Lover | February 22, 2006 08:23 AM

Infantile sexual posts and false posts are ridiculous. Obviously, they don't rise to the level of a SERIOUS CRIME like WAR, but they are ridiculous and annoying.

Posted by: observer | February 22, 2006 08:26 AM

"SERIOUS CRIME like WAR"
spoken like a true pantywaist

I'll bet you are sitting at your desk, scamming your employer by surfing the web; eating junk food to make you more obese when you should be doing something productive with your life.

How does it feel to be too afraid to step up and serve your country?

Posted by: Proud American NRA member | February 22, 2006 09:02 AM

test

Posted by: test | February 22, 2006 09:05 AM

Some people have nothing better to do then to show they are complete morons!

Posted by: Pate's Dad | February 22, 2006 10:12 AM

I wish that those of you that are on here playing infantile games would just leave. You are not funny, obviously you have toooo much time on your hands! Maybe you should go out and find something more constructive to do with your time.

Posted by: military wife | February 22, 2006 10:19 AM

I agree

Posted by: Pate's Dad | February 22, 2006 10:36 AM

As a former member of the military I find this whole line pretty disturbing. I'm pretty sure there were guys looking at me in the shower but it doesn't need to be advocated. Also, any one who read Bert's bio (28 yrs old single, lives in DC, hangs out at JRs) and looks at his picture can tell he is gay. So I would assume he liked that bit of advice about the showers!!

Posted by: former military member | February 22, 2006 01:01 PM

Since when did this blog turn into "Brokeback Mountain"?

While we're talking about showers, let's have a gratuitous commercial plug for Irish Spring Soap. There's nothing finer to lather up with than Irish Spring!

Posted by: E. Etage | February 22, 2006 03:28 PM

it is ABSOLUTELY sickening to see what a few idiots can do to good blog. Why all this homosexual bullshit anyway? The ones who are doing this are pukes-maggots-idiots, etc etc. Low lifes!!

Semper Fi for the REAL Warriors

Posted by: Wondrous Moose | February 22, 2006 05:49 PM

For those of you who know: look at the email address of the Major. It's a dot-mil. He is NOT the guy making the negative comments.

Posted by: test | February 23, 2006 02:21 AM

i think kinton is gay too. he just want to let the other guys to know that he is gay..shut up kinton..give the man privacy.. u dont have to let the world know that bert is a gay.. we aint interested with his sexual orientation.

Posted by: ellen | March 7, 2006 01:34 AM

Sorry to the real Major..so sorry, i did not mean you,,

Posted by: ellen | March 7, 2006 01:37 AM

Whats so wrong with watching a guy in a shower....military wife chill out.

Posted by: interested soldier | June 26, 2006 07:37 PM

how about coming back and serving your country here in the U.S. and helping people here? Who cares about Iraq anyway? Why are our guys over there? For what?

Posted by: realamerican | June 26, 2006 07:38 PM

To the military wife, calm down. Your man is probably too busy playing DVDs and hanging out at the Pizza Hut over there to look at anyone else. And don't worry about the women. THey all have mustaches.

Posted by: Gomer Pyle Fan | June 26, 2006 07:44 PM

Camp Slayer? Give me a break. Were you issued a thesarus when you got there?

Posted by: English Major | June 26, 2006 07:47 PM

Believe it or not, the real camp victory is a christian-themed camp for kids with illnesses, in texas. how crappy that the military took the name to kill people in the name of democracy. complete crap.

Posted by: the real camp victory | June 26, 2006 07:50 PM

Looking for my brother Dan Worth out of Fort Hood Texas - a new comer. If anyone runs into him - tell him his older sister is going to kick his ass when he comes home! Love to all you guys! Know I pray for all of you every day! Melissa

Posted by: Melissa | August 31, 2006 11:56 AM

WOW... I Googled this search to find more information about where my father was recently deployed to and found some extremely disturbing information here. I grew up an army brat and have spent my entire life in the military and am completely ashamed by the content in the above messages. It makes me feel embarrassed for supporting the military for the last 25 years and honestly disgusts me to know that these (ahem) "fine soldiers" are the idiots that my father has to put up with and technically babysit every.... single.... day. Poor guy..... Perhaps you all should concern your free time with personal interests and self-improvement instead of other peoples' lives. After all, we are ALL out of high school....right???

Posted by: unknown | September 21, 2006 03:53 AM