Commuting By Foot

Looks like I have replaced my 20 minute civilian commute in D.C. with one the same length, only there's no traffic on this one and it's a bit more healthy.

There's a modest gym at the base, but with a 20 minute commute on foot from the tents to the chow hall, not to mention the 30 minute hike to the flight line, the gym is hardly needed. Most of us pass out from the work and miles of walking when we get back to the tents at night. Many have purchased bikes to try and get around faster, though bikes don't solve the problem of sore muscles for soldiers who haven't ridden them much back home.

Overall, some of us are walking more than 5 miles a day. Without cell phones, we have to hike to the chow hall to communicate with friends and loved ones in the U.S. The flight line is so huge that it takes 20 minutes to walk from one hangar to the next, so if you forget something you stand to lose close to an hour's time to retrieve it. Some of us will shed a few pounds this year, especially as the heat rises.

By Bert Stover |  February 24, 2006; 1:00 PM ET  | Category:  Al Asad, Iraq
Previous: Dust | Next: Naming the Enemy

Comments

Hey Rabbit Twister, Didn't you take an oath to God to protect and defend the US Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic? Have you found any WMD's lately? Iran and Israel have some! Why should one more American die for the territorial pissings in Iraq? Because some guy in a hole was a threat? I was never afraid of scuds. I'm more afraid of the Democrat and Republican Politcos and their whores in the Media. They need to be tarred and feathered. Sunni Arabs in Iraq blamed US troops for not protecting Sunni mosques and worshippers from violence. The US military ordered the US soldiers in Baghdad to stay in their barracks and not to circulate if it could be helped. [Later reports said some US patrols has been stepped up.] This situation underlines how useless the American ground forces are in Iraq. They can't stop the guerrilla war and may be making it worst. Last I knew, there were 10,000 US troops in Anbar Province with a population of 1.1 million. What could you do with that small force, when the vast majority of the people support the guerrillas? US troops would be useless if they hcad to fight in alleyways against sectarian rioters. If they tried to guard the Sunni mosques, they'd have to shoot into Shiite mobs, which would just raise the level of violence they face from Shiites in the south. It's been 1,621 days since GWB said he'd catch UBL 'Dead or Alive!' USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Posted by: crusader bunnypants | February 24, 2006 03:39 PM

How I tire of those who know not what this blog is about.

Posted by: colonels | February 24, 2006 08:53 PM

Well said colonels. Monday morning and armchair quarterbacks have never been held in high regard by anyone. I find it very interesting that "bunnypants" hurls insults at length, however has not even ONE idea on addressing the challenges faced by the world in the Middle East.

Stover, you and the troops have many people all over the world who support you, whether or not they believe in the "whys" of the current conflicts. Stay strong and come home safe!

Posted by: BrightEyes | February 25, 2006 10:10 AM

Hey Crusader Bunny...

I have an idea: If u don't want to stand behind our troops, why don't you stand in front of them?

CWO Stover, keep up the good work!

Posted by: Mike from New York | February 25, 2006 03:25 PM

Great idea, Mike. I seriously wonder how people can be so stupid.

Stover, my boyfriend is over there with you in your unit and I am so proud of him and everyone else that is there. We are supporting you and keeping the home fires burning for all of your safe returns. Stay strong and know you are always in our thoughts and prayers. :]

Posted by: Cali-girl | February 26, 2006 11:17 AM

Everything is a cover-up...right "che"? Give me a break. Put your agenda on a site that it applies to.

Posted by: Pate's Dad | February 27, 2006 08:59 AM

Why exactly are you posting that info on this site? Obviously you are missing the point of this site. It is a way for families like myself that have soldiers deployed with Bert to get an idea what is going on with their loved one. Maybe you have trouble reading anything that doesnt smell of government conspiracy. Why dont you go back to the beginning of this site and see what it is really here for.

Posted by: military wife | February 27, 2006 10:31 AM

"che" get your own blog and spew your crap there because no one cares for it here.

Stover, keep up the good work. I am happy to be able to hear what is going on with you guys over there, especially when my conversations with my boyfriend are so limited. This way, I get to feel a little closer to him, through you. Which I'm sure is the way a lot of the friends and families feel. Thank you for that.

Posted by: Cali-girl | February 28, 2006 03:21 PM

The name "Raghead" [or "teatowel"] was being used by the Brit army in Aden in the late'50s and early sixties, probably where your NCOs picked it up from.

What I don't understand is why Brit forces are in Iraq. We left there back in 56, and I cannot see why Blair has got us back into this mess. The Defence Staff should have made it clear that there is no point to it. His party should have made it clear that politically it would have [and has] done major damage to his credibility, esp he now he claims he "was directed by God!".

Posted by: oldanfoolish | March 6, 2006 02:41 PM

ain't it time to realize you can't teach a wild dog democracy!! No way!

Posted by: Robert L. Cook | March 13, 2006 02:40 PM

H'lo Bert: God bless you for what you're doing...and may He also protect you and your teammates from harm while you're there. Listen, riding bikes for local transportation isn't a bad deal at all. I've been commuting to/from work in DC for 23 years on a bike. After two weeks or so, your leg muscles will get used to the exercise...just keep at it. Also, in the heat, it's a better way to keep cool, as the airflow over your body while riding will evaporate your sweat faster and help reduce your body temperature. Just keep plenty of water on the bikes and hydrate yourself ALL the time !! And stay safe -- watch your 'six'... and stay in the Word...

Posted by: Jeff | March 22, 2006 11:56 AM

I quote Jeff.

Let me translate this into a language that is more appropriate and significant in this public place.

H'lo Bert: We feel very privileged by your work... and we ask you and your teammates to do everything to stay safe and avoid all harm while there.

You can believe what you want but it is not appropriate to use church speech in public. Invoking your god gives you some kind of standing that maybe you don't deserve, so speak for yourself, from the bottom of your heart, using all the fibers, nerves, tissues and fluids of your body, from your whole self, with conviction and courage. Thanks! WishRobby

Posted by: wishrobby | April 1, 2006 10:59 AM

I understand the idea of this blog is to keep family and friends informed .. As a Viet Vet, I also know that the pentagon has clamped down on the media and it's reporting of this war. If we no longer have press access to the theater oe war , then we the people no longer have the information we need to form an informed opinion of the war.. I thought that it was an army of the people not a professional army , that the constution allowed.. just a thought, from an old Captian USAR

Posted by: J.B. Teig | April 11, 2006 02:55 PM