"Thank you" and "Meow!"

On their way home and out of TQ, the Marine Corps Reserve unit running the passenger terminal here, known to us as the Arrival/Departure Airfield Control Group or ADACG, stopped by to say, "thank you" to the TQ Punisher detachment.

At first, neither I nor the other pilots understoof what was going on. Not all of the pilots and crew chiefs were present as there was a mission out at the time, but A Co was well represented and the Marine SGT started the presentation by saying, "We would like to thank the Punisher squadron for all of your help [in getting people where they need to go]." With those words, the TS Company of the 15th Landing Support Battalion presented a signed flag and a "Red Tab" certificate, after which we all recounted various incidents and inside jokes.

One we will always remember is the "Meow" we tack onto the end of our radio transmissions, a reference to the slapstick movie "Super Troopers" and an attempt to lower stress levels by adding a bit of fun to our jobs. Several long flights were tamed by knowing we were almost done for the night when we heard the radio operator of the passenger terminal tell us "Goodnight, meow!"

By Bert Stover |  September 12, 2006; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Al Taqaddum, Iraq
Previous: On the Town in Doha, Qatar | Next: A Deployment Checklist

Comments

Once again it is good to read your messages, happy to hear you were able to get a break and your R&R was a little different! It must be wonderful for you to just be able to sleep-in and read!! My son's Unit has completed all missions (bringing everyone back!) and waiting for a "ride" from Al Asad to Kuwait to begin the journey home!! We are excited and are praising God for keeping them all safe!! I will continue to read your blog and pray for your safe return, which I hope will be soon!! Thank you again for taking the time to write, it has helped me understand all that happens from the soldier's perspective a little better....your experience and John's has been somewhat different, but those of us safe in the US need to understand ALL that goes on w/our Military....I thank you for continuing to write even though there are many using this site to "air" their political views....I have quit reading "Comments", I can't wade through the nonsense! I appreciate what you/others are doing and thank you for including "us" in your journey!! May God continue to watch over you!

Posted by: Mechanic's Mom | September 12, 2006 11:07 AM

I'd like to thank posters to this blog for comments like I keep seeing from this "mechanic's mom." I admire folks like her and other mothers, spouses, or family members who have posted here as much as I do Bert Stover and the rest of the men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan. Certainly none of these moms and dads asked for this war, and obviously none of their sons or daughters who are fighting it did, either. But after reading the 9/11 Report very carefully, it's clear to me that whether we fight these people now or later, in Iraq, Afghanistan, or somewhere else, we'll have to fight them, and fight them for a very long time, perhaps for decades. They simply are not going to let us go our way in peace.

Posted by: djbundy | September 14, 2006 01:04 PM

"god" bless Iraq and all her people

Posted by: dave | September 15, 2006 10:41 AM

So the "Reverend" Bill M'Ginniss wants us to loin how to steal elections, eh? Tryin' to meddle with the separation of choich & state, huh? Oh--wise, guy, huh?

Posted by: Anson E. Long | September 15, 2006 11:03 PM

I've long been of the opinion that we, the public, do NOT need to know all the ways to do damage to voting machines. So why are all the various ways published? Just to give some brilliant person the idea that he/she can even if he/she had not thought of it until he/she read about it? It confuses me.

Posted by: Dee | September 16, 2006 08:03 AM

it appears that the censors have deleted che's post (surely, to the delight of 99% of the readers of this blog), tho the last post didnt seem to contravene the Post's rules for these forums... no surpise there... this is the Post after all.

Now, will the censor delete the last two posts in this string, which refer to the post in question? you know... keeping the people from being 'confused'?

we await the Post's leadership on this

Posted by: dave | September 18, 2006 12:46 PM

I just wanted to say their are many of us here in the States that think of all you men and women everyday. You are all winners . Many of us here are watching closely. We support you for the scarfices you make every day. May God Bless you and Keep you.

Posted by: Jean Chasteen | September 21, 2006 02:10 AM

just wanted to let you guys know that your buddy "Mittens" is still going strong. Still full of himself and constantly thinking of things to do and say when you guys get home. We both keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and we keep our light burning until you come home. We can't wait for the Bn homecoming but the "Dawg" homecoming will be great. Stay safe, laugh as much as possible, and keep your eyes on the guiding light. Mittens says "Hey y'all". Meow

Posted by: barbi baby | September 22, 2006 09:54 AM