Busy as Hell, Trying to Get Out of Here

Over the last couple of weeks we've engaged in our normal mission along with preparing for our departure. As the unit movement officer I've been swamped with work, trying to motivate people to pack as much stuff as they can, as early as possible. Some were legitimately concerned of the possibility of our unit getting extended based on the president's troop increase plan, reluctant to pack until it is certain we will be going home -- on time. One additional duty for the new pilots was to do the planning to fly out of Iraq; the beginning of the end.

So if we weren't flying, we were packing, and if we weren't packing, we were planning the trip from Iraq to Kuwait. After all of that we find time to rest and eat, but there could be no greater motive than wanting to get out of Iraq to keep people hard at work.

By Bert Stover |  January 31, 2007; 7:59 AM ET  | Category:  Al Taqaddum, Iraq
Previous: Anxiously Looking Home | Next: Not Ours...Please, Not Ours

Comments

We all look forward to hearing you're on you're way home. Back home we continue to support the warfighter. Keep the faith.

Posted by: Carolyn | January 31, 2007 10:16 AM

Hang in there. It seems the military is no different than when I served as a Marine officer "way back when". Hurry up and wait, stand by for the word, standby for change to the word, stand by to stand by etc. Regardless of our leadership's change of (or lack thereof) plans, you all will come home. Besides, packing, unpacking and repacking is really a sign that there is light at the end of the tunnel, however flickering or dim. You and your brothers are doing a great job, each of you are my hero. By the way, my son is a Guard officer heading your way later this year. Continue to watch your six.

Posted by: ken | January 31, 2007 10:34 AM

You and your men have given your all. I am eternally grateful. God speed. Hurry home.

Posted by: Linda | January 31, 2007 12:01 PM

Chief:

I've read every one of your postings, and am especially happy to hear that you're nearing the end of your tour. I know unit movement is a "bear," but, pleasantly, this one you'll tolerate with some measure of glee. "Above the Best." Out.

Posted by: I.H.Suggs, Jr., CW4 (Avn, Ret) | January 31, 2007 01:09 PM

Don't let your guard down during these final weeks/days.
Keep safe & God speed your way home.

Posted by: Bill j | January 31, 2007 02:24 PM

I remember the infamous"hurry up and wait" from way back when in the AF, too. Hang tough--you'll be out of there soon. Godspeed to all of you.

Posted by: Retired crewdog | January 31, 2007 08:46 PM

Stover, I look forward to you being back State-side as well -- you've done all your VaARNG Sapper coursemates proud. Just know that we're thinking of you all over there, and safe travels.

Posted by: D Kerstetter | February 1, 2007 07:01 AM

I know it is hectic getting out of there, but thank God you are coming home!! Sounds like you have double duty!! I remember my son calling me from Kuwait when they arrived coming out and he was so overwhelmed that he couldn't speak!! (If you knew him, you would be surprised at that!) Hopefully, you won't be held up there, you can keep moving....I remember the temp difference in Sept....it was 115 in Iraq, 98 in Kuwait, 56 in Germany and 70 in NC, what a roller coaster ride!

We keep you in our prayers as you begin your journey out of there! Stay focused!

Posted by: Mechanic's Mom | February 1, 2007 03:41 PM

You all stay safe packing up and getting out of there. I am anxiously awaiting my husband and the rest of the 224th to finally step off of that bus! It has been a long 16 months! Job well done!

Posted by: military wife | February 2, 2007 01:04 PM