Do You Foxit? Then Patch It!

The makers of Foxit Reader -- a free alternative application to Adobe's software for viewing portable document format (PDF) files -- has issued an update that plugs several security holes.

Hats off to Foxit Software, which turned around a patched version of its program about 24 hours after a security researcher published information about the vulnerabilities. The latest build, available from this link, brings the current, patched version to 2.3 Build 2825.

The "what's new?" page describing the new features in Foxit 2.3 is largely devoid of any information about security updates. But a post to the Foxit user forum indicates the security flaws disclosed last week have indeed been addressed in this latest version.

By Brian Krebs  |  April 28, 2008; 12:14 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hundreds of Thousands of Microsoft Web Servers Hacked
Next: A Case of Network Identity Theft?

Comments

Thanks Brian, I just happened to go to pull down the Foxit update on Sat morn to check out any news and saw that this update was out so I ran it. Wasn't sure at the time if it was worth bothering with, as it didn't mention security issues. If I hadn't run it, it would have been awhile before I saw it otherwise or ran it, except that you're noting here. Thanks for posting on non-mainstream software updates.

Posted by: M in CT | April 28, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks very much for these reminders!

Posted by: Bartolo | April 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

When I asked Foxit to check for updates on version 2.0, it said there was an update, the version you mentioned. Then it said it updated successfully, but when I opened Foxit and went to Tools | About, it was still the old version.

So I downloaded the new version manually and installed it. I guess it's always good to confirm that your updates installed correctly, though it's quite disconcerting that the dialog box reported it installed correctly when it didn't.

I'm using Vista Ultimate.

Posted by: josef | April 28, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I meant "help|about" not tools|about. Sorry.

Posted by: josef | April 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey, man. Thanks for the notice. I had just upgraded to the latest version a new days ago, and wasn't aware they had a newer version out. They must have put it out after I upgraded. You're a lifesaver. Thanks.

Posted by: Randy | April 28, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I downloaded Foxit some time ago, but was disappointed with the large number of options that were apparently only available to paying users. Thus, I removed it.

I notice that it also 'hijacked' all Adobe Reader downloads. Now that Reader has some additional offerings [don't sign up on 1st visit and get a 25% discount on subsequent visits for signup], Brian, I wonder for us novices if you would mind comparing Foxit to the new Adobe Reader-Writer.

Posted by: brucerealtor | April 29, 2008 5:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, I may not have realized there was an update.
One note: I tried using Foxit's "check for updates" and after about 2 minutes it failed. Had I not read your article, I might have brushed it off for later.

Posted by: shad | April 29, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Talk about ripping off customers: I bought some of the options last year for $40; now I'm told I have to buy them again for the new version to work. So...I can either use the old version, which has security flaws, or I can buy a new license. Looks like I have to uninstall the old version completely, abandon the license and install the new one. I can see this if I want new features. But I don't think a reputable company should do this for security patches.

Posted by: Larry Lopez | April 29, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Brian, thanks for this notice on the availability of an update involving a security issue (and for all the similar notes).

Posted by: csavargo | April 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm a disappointed Foxit user. Downloaded 2.2 (for free, so can't complain too much), and while admired the speed with which it opens pdf's, I was never able to successfully print one. Also, 2.2 couldn't read jpeg's, even tho I tried to download a dll supposed to fixit Foxit. I gave up and uninstalled the whole kaboodle.

Posted by: Pete from Arlington | May 1, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse