Bio of Mary Ann Akers

Mary Ann Akers comes to washingtonpost.com from Roll Call, where she wrote the must-read "Heard on the Hill" column -- a newsy, nosy and irreverent look at what happens behind the scenes on Capitol Hill and elsewhere in Washington.

Akers has a strong news background in both print and broadcast. She was a reporter for National Public Radio covering everything from politics and Congress to transportation. She covered several commercial plane crash investigations and the government's response to the 9/11 attacks. Before that, she covered Congress for The Washington Times and for National Journal's CongressDaily publication.

Mary Ann hails from High Point, N.C. She graduated from Guilford College and serves on the school's Board of Visitors. She also serves on the board of the Washington Press Club Foundation.

By washingtonpost.com Editors  |  January 25, 2007; 5:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Next: About This Blog

Comments

honey your a trip.

Posted by: bob johnson | January 29, 2007 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Classic...I love it....

Posted by: Perezhilton meets George Will | January 30, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

NEWT

Posted by: Sunshine48 | January 31, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

THE SLEUTH-ooooohh. Sounds like something you'd see in a college newspaper...and reads like it too. THE SLEUTH--ooooohhh I'm scared,I'm scared,I'm scared.

And the Post wonders why nobody take is seriously anymore.

Posted by: Wm Babbington | February 1, 2007 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Democrats don`t Faux News.Hillary has never been on Fox and has done pretty well.

Posted by: Reba Shimansky | February 1, 2007 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday morning, I was surfing the Web & listening to the debate, when I heard Rep. Don Young call Democrats "treasonous" & cited the faux quote by Abraham Lincoln foisted on the Web by Insight Magazine.

At the time, I was furious. But, because I wasn't paying close attention to his speech until he inserted that fiery rhetoric, I had no idea how to find out where that came from.

Last night, Rep. Steve Buyer, taking issue with the comments of a couple of Democratic congressmen that House Republicans were accusing Democrats of being "unpatriotic" for supporting the resolution (a mild rebuke, considering Rep. Young's actual term was "treasonous") set me to wondering about the (now we know it was faux) Lincoln quote, when I found the link on the Washington Post's front Webpage to your research on the quote.

I was most pleased to see, when I got up this morning, that the Post editors had converted your Web comment to a full-blown print article in this morning's Post. I hope Rep. Buyer reads it, as I hope the Democrats who were so upset by Young's comments also see it.

This was a swift, sharp bit of sleuthing. Roll Call should really miss you about now. My Washington Post is fortunate to have you on our team.

Thanks again for your hard work. I'm putting your Webblog on my list of daily must-visit locales.

Judy Allen, Beaumont, TX
"Judy in Big Thicket"
judyintx@swbell.net

P.S. The Washington Post front page is my home page. I have been a fan of this great newspaper since I visited Washington D.C. in 1973 to testify for the bill to create the Big Thicket National Preserve. It is MY Washington Post. :-) Judy

Posted by: Judy Allen, Beaumont, TX | February 16, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for exposing Don Young's ERRONEOUS quote from Lincoln. I mean - it must be correct - right? - it was in the Washington Times! LOL
And Young refuses to retract in Congressional Record!!

Posted by: annefrank | February 16, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why Douglas Feith and the OSP aren't being "sleuthed" by this paper very much. I guess this story is not important are interesting to the country.

Posted by: KB | February 20, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse