Congressman Hits on Actress Kerry Washington

Who knew that a Congressman's funding request for sewer projects in his district could be so... so sexy?

When Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.) went before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment and Related Agencies Thursday, he found himself appealing instead for the affection of famed silver screen beauty Kerry Washington.

Washington, who starred in "Ray" and "The Last King of Scotland" among other films, is a member of the Hollywood lobbying group the Creative Coalition. She was waiting her turn (along with actor Timothy Daly) before the appropriations subcommittee to appeal for higher funding of the National Endowment of the Arts.

Never mind how the arts and sewers wound up before the same subcommittee, but they somehow did. Which brought Davis and Washington together, yet still - oh so far apart.

Davis sat before the panel, looked around the room at all the cameras and joked about the "sudden interest" in sewer projects. Then he made his move.

Turning to Washington, the 39-year-old Congressman said as "a single member" of the House, he "personally" wanted to welcome her to Capitol Hill.

The room erupted with laughter, according to eyewitnesses. Davis went on to make his appeal for more money for his sewer projects and left the room - without even trying to seal the deal (he didn't get her phone number!).

When Washington got up to testify, she said she was "honored" to be welcomed before Congress but "surprised" at "being hit on." Again, rousing laughter.

It looks like flirtation is where this story ends. (Sigh.) Rep. Davis, who is - yes, ladies - single and highly eligible, tells the Sleuth: "A beautiful actress who doesn't live in Washington or Birmingham doesn't have time for a politician."

By Mary Ann Akers  |  April 19, 2007; 5:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rummy and Newt, War and (In)Fidelity
Next: White House Dinner: Stomping Ground

Comments

Flirtation may be only the last salvo. Nothing suggests that it is the end.

Posted by: csd426 | April 20, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame that Davis isn't a Republican, or he'd be rag-whipped clear out of Congress.

Posted by: Andrew Horning | April 20, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why Mr. Horning thinks what he does. Ms. Washington is neither a minor, a man, nor married, and Mr. Davis is single.

Posted by: Ramu | April 20, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON -- Strange things sometimes come out of President Bush's mouth. "Polls just go poof." "Remember the rug?"

When Bush went to Ohio on Thursday to talk about terrorism, he ended up musing about marriage and chicken-plucking plants, the agony of death and his Oval Office rug, which resembles a sunburst.

About his legacy, Bush said historians are still assessing George Washington, the nation's first leader. "My attitude is, if they're still writing about (number) one, 43 doesn't need to worry about it."

On being married: "A good marriage is really good after serving together in Washington, D.C."

Maybe the president just felt like jabbering at the town hall-style event in Tipp City, Ohio. He began talking about terrorism and ended 90 minutes later after chattering about everything from life after the White House to Vietnam War and the brutal Khmer Rouge regime.

Some highlights:

_"Politics comes and goes, but your principles don't. And everybody wants to be loved _ not everybody. ... You never heard anybody say, `I want to be despised, I'm running for office.'"

_"The best thing about my family is my wife. She is a great first lady. I know that sounds not very objective, but that's how I feel. And she's also patient. Putting up with me requires a lot of patience."

_"There are jobs Americans aren't doing. ... If you've got a chicken factory, a chicken-plucking factory, or whatever you call them, you know what I'm talking about."

_"There are some similarities, of course" between Iraq and Vietnam. "Death is terrible."

_"I've been in politics long enough to know that polls just go poof at times."

As he has before, Bush told the story about how his first presidential decision was to pick a rug for the Oval Office, a task he quickly cast to his wife. He told her to make sure the rug reflected optimism "because you can't make decisions unless you're optimistic that the decisions you make will lead to a better tomorrow."

Later, when he talked about his hope for succeeding in Iraq, Bush said, "Remember the rug?"

Posted by: Anonymous | April 20, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, Mr. President, you are human after all., I commend you, on the rug., and trusting in your wife's judgement. Please, now, take some time to pray for me, as I will pray for you.,and I also read an article, that said, Mr. Bush., now I am allow to mess with him, but I think, the writers, should use President Bush, so when Senator Hillary Clinton gets in, it is not Mrs.Clinton! to you, President Bush, have a nice day p.s.while you are still in lol Janair Williams Sr. & friends Chuck Vance

Posted by: Janair Williams Sr. | April 22, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Well? since I am here? I would like the Defense Intelligence Agency to leave me alone, since all you do is lie, llike you don't even tell people, you are with the government. out out lying!!! bad Mr.President., getting Vance International to help you set up your security, and "ME" finding out! lol I mean, when will it stop, the survelliance, the wiretapping, the, MY FAVORITE E-N-T-R-A-P-M-E-N-T!!! LOL I have my documents, in 4 and 5 copies! Janair Williams Sr. are your people mad now! I guess now they will use the Patriot Act section 215 on me lol but Mr.President Bush, if you had been truthful and forth coming in the beginning, you would have not had people sitting here at the MLK library, trying to set me up in a DIA way! I would hope, your people, would leave me alone, let me get my place, and STOP setting me up., I don't like ENTRAPMENT, and I look for it everywhere, meaning, I use the Army skills taught to me from when I was in, always be on guard, and never let it down., I was taught by the best, Vietnam Veterans! my dad, and others! in PNCOC & BNCOC, I learn a great deal more., and then I was suppose to teach others, so how do you think, your people, can get to me, when it was you who taught., an example for your people reading this - I was sent in PNCOC to report what I saw, at that time, I was a Forward Observer, I went to report on how many was in a crew of a howitzer section, I saw 3 people, what my own Tack Sargeant did not know, was I came from the Gun, I was a Gun Bunny, so, I told half the men, who came with me, to make alot of noise, and then when they left, the DIA, oh? sorry? I mean, the rest of the crew came out and laugh ABOUT how they had got over on me., I reported back 8 men., I was called a cheat., but my other Tack Sargeant said, he wish I had been his backup in Vietnam, I felt ELATED! because, I remembered what Kirk said Capt.James Tiberius Kirk, there is there way, the book way and a get out of trouble way, not his words, MINE!!!

Posted by: Janair Williams Sr. | April 22, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Good grief! Did ANY of these listers ever take an English class?

Posted by: diefrau | April 22, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't care whether Kerry Washington is colored or white, married or single or from Europe or Africa; I am just happy that she's adult, female and human and not a he, by nature or nurture.

Good luck to the congressman with his flirtations and thank God that he didn't make another mistake in creation when he created Congressman Davis.

Posted by: Maia Ajanaku | April 23, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse