Deal Behind Sen. Klobuchar's Endorsement of Obama

Been wondering what superdelegates are getting in return for their recent presidential endorsements? Well, in the case of Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), who hopped off the fence last week to endorse Barack Obama, she didn't get a thing.

But her 12-year-old daughter, Abigail, did.

Klobuchar says it wasn't exactly a quid-pro-quo but she did let it be known to Obama that Abigail would like to be the go-to babysitter for his two young daughters, Malia , 9, and Sasha, 6, if they wind up living in the White House.

During her endorsement conversation with him, Klobuchar dropped a not-so-subtle hint when Obama asked how her daughter was doing: Abigail was recently certified as a babysitter by the Red Cross and is "available on Saturday nights until 11 p.m." And thanks for asking.

No promise was extracted, Klobuchar says, though she feels pretty confident that her preferred Democratic presidential candidate would put her daughter high up on the babysitting call list.

Obama has met Abigail, and knows she's a fan of his. (He once commented on the kid's gift of gab and asked her if she might someday, like her mother, run for office. Abigail, according to Klobuchar, replied, "Oh, I've already done that. I'm on the 6th grade student council.")

The would-be first babysitter became an Obama supporter when the Illinois senator came to Minnesota to campaign for her mother two years ago. Throughout the 2008 Democratic presidential primary race, the persuasive 7th grader has been "very vocal" about her presidential preference even as her mother tried to remain neutral for as long as she could, according to Klobuchar.

"She was half joking to me that maybe this would be a babysitting opportunity," Klobuchar says.

Abigail certainly sounds qualified for the job. She even created business cards with the logo "When you want to go away but the kids have to stay, call Abigail."

By Mary Ann Akers  |  April 9, 2008; 2:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Grover Norquist Endorses Condi Rice for Veep
Next: Karl Rove's Awkward Moment

Comments

Now, THAT'S the kind of deal-making Washington needs more of!

Posted by: Miande | April 9, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

And this is how we're going to elect a president of the United States? God help us.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Abigail has not gotten cynical. That's the beauty of the young. They don't have the baggage of the 50's/60's to make them sooooo angry about sex, race, etc. As much as you may want to dismiss Abigail's idealism as immaturity with your comment, "God Help us," we should thank our lucky stars that we have not passed cynicism on like the plague. Abagail sounds pretty savvy to me!

Posted by: gayle in California | April 9, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gayle in California | April 9, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

in response to abigail not be cynical yet

Lets hope she doesn't get date raped , or an std , like 1 in 4 girls get these days and lets hope by the time she gets a job she will be able to make the same amount of money as her male coworkers, and lets hope that she can find her way and ignore all those comments that praised media pundits use like "she got into office because her husband cheated on her " or "shes gonna get her claws out" so maybe if she babysits her whole life and only watches cartoons her whole life she will be as beautiful and innocent as she is today and if not she can always get plastic surgery to try to recapture that image so younger girl dosent come and take her man away. LOL

Posted by: jj | April 9, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait, is it April 1st? No... hmmm... Ohh, I see... this is a way to get a headline out there that implies underhandedness on the part of Mr. Obama in a week when her opponent has been attacked for back-room dealings. This would be funny on the Colbert report, but in a pulitzer prize winning newspaper, I can't imagine why an "article" like this would appear for no other reason than the effect on people who only read the headline. Shame on you.

Posted by: JJC | April 9, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah right! Obama has given over $600,000 to superdelegates. I'm sure this hack didn't get any. Yeah right! Keep buying them, Barry, buy all of them you want. You can't buy the White House

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama PROMISES a new kind of politics, but then he goes and does the SAME OLD SMOKEY BACKROOM BABYSITTING BARGAINS! "Politics of Hope?" More like Politics of NOT!

Posted by: Tools | April 9, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I think it's safe to say that deals are *always* made in these cases. If this DOES become a deal, it's both amusing and touching.

I must point out, however, that your 2nd paragraph (abigail got something) is contradicted by your 5th (no promise was extracted). Perhaps "But Abigail MAY have "would be more accurate.

Posted by: Neef | April 9, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

"So it's a deal then: I make you Leader of the Free World... you make my daughter your babysitter."

Posted by: Steve Charb | April 9, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

You know, considering it's their generation that will still be paying for this generations mistakes and misjudgements (electing GWB). I don't think it so out of line to use their influence in who should lead us out of this morass and improve the outlook for their future. I think a 14 year old is sometimes smarter than the average Bush supporter - at least those remaining 28%ers.

Posted by: Julie | April 9, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Some of the comments on this story are just sad. Are people so cynical and mean spirited as to really mean the things they write here?

Posted by: iLogos | April 9, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

-Wow. They're 9 and 6 years old. Not only do you buy into that Fox News B.S., you go a step further than they ever would and accuse the Obama kids of being racist and biochemical terrorists. You are sincerely disgusting. I'll pray that the devil takes your soon.

Posted by: Mike | April 9, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Our Senator acted reflective of the overwhelming majority of us Minnesotans who support Barack Obama and reject the old-school, dishonest hackery of Hillary Clinton and her minions.

Posted by: Walden Greenwood | April 9, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

that was nice story

Posted by: nice | April 9, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Excellent news!!!
For Hillary!!!

Posted by: AWG | April 10, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Your a vile human being that doesn't deserve to breath the air of civilized citizens of the world. To say such things about little kids is BEYOND being sarcastic and against an opponent. I hope to God that people like yourself are extinct soon.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I wish someone WOULD stab you in your sleep. Please please someone stab this Hannity loving, racist hatemonger. Put him out of his soul-less misery. May you burn in hell or your trailer.

Posted by: Mike | April 10, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Don't you guys get it.This is just a joke and you guys are reading seriously into it.Can't you guys take a joke?

Posted by: Sholbo | April 10, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

If anyone of you think she supported Obama because she wanted her daughter to babysit Obama's kids,then I've got news for you;I will be voting for him because he just bought me a mercedes benz.

Posted by: Sholbo | April 10, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

-----CLINTON SLEEZE FATIGUE WILL INVIGORATE GOP, DISPIRIT DEMOCRATS AND SINK DEMOCRATIC TICKET-----

-----OBAMA / KERRY TO WIN-----

It is possible that Senator Clinton is the best candidate. However, even though many may like the policies that Senator Clinton proposes, they should also consider her record, just as Senator Clinton insists.
The last Clinton Administration, when faced with the fact that protection rackets where assaulting, torturing and murdering people with poison and radiation, chose to avoid its responsibilities to incarcerate the criminals and to protect the citizenry.
Instead, they made a deal with the criminal gang stalker protection rackets to leave them alone and to consequently abandon the citizenry.
Do we want a President who sells out the citizenry for votes?
Do we want a President who sends a "crime does pay" message to society?
Would you vote for a President who signed nonaggression deals with the KKKlan or the Nazi party? Gangs that torture with poison and radiation are much like the KKKlan and Nazi Party.
We do not need a sellout President. We need a principled leader President.
If you are one of the few who do not know what the above refers to, do a web search for "gang stalking" to see the tip of the dirtberg. Please do it before you decide to reply to my post. Here let me make it easy for you: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22gang+stalking%22.

Posted by: avraam jack | April 10, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

heres a wet your pants stupid Cannot Understand Normal Thinking Betich, god where do they come from? tossed out diapers that morphed into jabbering idiots from the steroids tossed in the same dumpster from furtive baseball greats> what a grand slam of stupidity.

Gotta be steroids

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 2:49 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, people can't appreciate a cute story? Of course Klobuchar didn't endorse to score a 4 hour/week $10/hr job for her kid. It's just a fun little aside in the midst of this crazy, tense campaign.

Lighten up folks.

Posted by: AS | April 10, 2008 3:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BonoX | April 10, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse

what some people are writing here makes you think America has lost its sense of humor..God Bless America

Posted by: tim hussein | April 10, 2008 3:32 AM | Report abuse

What horrible things to say. I'll see you in hell soon.

Posted by: Adolf Hitler | April 10, 2008 3:57 AM | Report abuse

The gender politics surrounding this campaign just keep getting better and better.

Posted by: Sam | April 10, 2008 4:44 AM | Report abuse

Well, what I find here is not any sense of decent humor, rather a number pathetic and tasteless comments designed to stir up emtions... My advice is: Ignore this crap, or ask som webmaster to clean up...

Posted by: EU Citizen | April 10, 2008 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Tiis is a very cute story. For those of you who feel the need to make hateful, ignorant remarks, GET A LIFE! It shows the utter desperation when you have to attack something harmless, innocent and sweet like this.... Try as you might, haters, but Obama is going to be the next pres. Say it with me..... *President Barack Obama*

Posted by: Obama '08! | April 10, 2008 5:36 AM | Report abuse

Another example of how Obama is buying the superdelegates!

Posted by: JakeD | April 10, 2008 6:45 AM | Report abuse

"So, this is how they are choosing the next president? On the advice of their 12 year old kids!!! This is pretty pathetic."

What's more pathetic is how many people REALLY choose the next President. Who would they most like to have a beer with? Who does Paris Hilton like? Which candidate will validate my own particular prejudice against gays/immigrants/Muslims/etc.?

It makes taking the advice of a precocious 12-year-old almost preferable.

Posted by: Gary | April 10, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

New press release from the Clinton campaign:

"Obama Involved in Sitter-gate!!!"

Posted by: Gary | April 10, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, if this is what picking our next President has come down to...
I've read now THREE articles drescribing how superdelegates basing their decisions because their children are twisting their arms, not because of THEIR judgemnets truly believe Sen. Obama is the right candidate. If the future of our country if being dictated by the children of our American politican leaders, then I fear for my country.

Posted by: Karen | April 10, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Obama making back-room deals for superdelegates? Shame on you, Barack Obama!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

What a fun and charming story! First babysitter. :)

But then, alas, even the most harmless and fun story seems to provoke some people to spew the most vitriolic and hate-filled remarks. Ah, the nature of the internet...

But the rest of us, whether we support Obama or not, will just enjoy this charming piece from the Sleuth. Thanks!

Posted by: Charles from Berlin | April 10, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, if this is what picking our next President has come down to...

Posted by: Karen | April 10, 2008 8:15 AM

I fear even more for the country if sheeple let Hannity/Limbaugh/Fox News propaganda justify irrational voting decisions.

Posted by: flarrfan | April 10, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Grow up people.
- 4012 and up
- 30.000 and up
- 600.000 bil and up
- 3 tril and up
- 9 tril and up
Grow up !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nora | April 10, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site.

NOW DO YOUR JOB!

Posted by: Errol | April 10, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

CHECK OUT THESE DEALS OBAMA DID MAKE!!

Posted by: JABBER | April 10, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Who is the bigotted coward who made those remarks about being infected with AIDS by the Obama's children? I suspect it is a white man and a sick one at that. Probably a racist, homophobic and misogynist, the typical Republican profile. Greedy for sure and cowardly as well. Even our most conservative of men and women in uniform would balk at that kind of vitrolic hateful spewing. We can only hope someone like that is done away with by the same assault weapons they feel a right to own. That person must be out there dressed in a white sheet burning crosses as we blog.

Posted by: DavidBronx | April 10, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

He can't very well give a donation to her reelection campaign since she is, like him, a new senator. Having just taken office in January, 2006. However, he did give $10,000.00 to that campaign. Does that count?
That and their Chicago ties about sums it up.

Posted by: Joan | April 10, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

This was a nice story and it is NOT about a political payoff for a Super Delegate.

Sad to see so many negative responses here. However, it does certainly show the meanness of the white female over 40 libs and their momma's boys suckups.

What I can't understand is how Hillary distributed her "kook aid" nationwide? This is going to be one angry group come September when Obama is starting his General Election campaign.

Posted by: chuck Garrity | April 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

this is the kind of news that brings the nuts out at springtime...written by the nuts at the Post

Posted by: joe turner | April 10, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

This is kind of sweet.

Posted by: Actually... | April 10, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the point of this article is that sometimes folks select Obama because they believe in him..there is nothing cooking in the back room...It looks like everyone trys to read something into any and everything....Abby is just a 7th grader that is interested in something that 90% of kids her age haven't a care about....the world outside of themselves...I salute this very astute young lady...I wish there were more like her with over 50% of our youth dropping out of school today.

Posted by: Belinda | April 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

some of you are really disgusting and nasty in your remarks. and most of the rest have no sense of humor. lighten up folks.

Posted by: Brianna | April 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Is this a joke? The WaPo actually publishes this under the headline "Deal Behind Sen. Klobuchar's Endorsement of Obama"?

I guess Ms. Akers thought it would be cute to lure in Clinton supporters with the sneakyness this headline insinuates -the problem is -they're NUTS! They'll take this and actually try to make something of it.

Or was Ms Akers truly puzzled how a white woman -apparently Clinton's base constituency could possibly betray Hill of Arc?

I'M truly puzzled that the WaPo somehow let this piece by with the headline, it's shoddy and tabloid. How far this rag has fallen in the last 30 years.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I am bouyed by these comments. By the time Abigail is ready to vote, Barack will may have the experience to be President.

There's way too much playground whimsy motivating the Obama crowd. Many appear to be voting their children's preference.

By jumping off the fence, Amy is simply landing in her daughter's playground.

Posted by: RussnCA | April 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, the Washington Post saw fit to give this drivel a headline. Ms. Akers might want to devote more of her "sleuthing" skills to investigating real stories, such as Clinton's tax returns which are a treasure trove of backdoor dealings. I would chide Ms. Akers for her lack of "journalistic standards" if the term were not an oxymoron.

Posted by: befuddled | April 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Bravo, Abigail! You are fighting for your future as well as those of generations to come. You are right track by supporting Obama, our hope for true reform in Washington. Bravo Bravo, Abigail.

Posted by: J. Kerkula Foeday, Iowa City | April 10, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I find this article amusing and touching. Too bad the OMAMA HATERS could not also see the amusement in the story. The comments above give blinded by hate a renewed meaning. GOD HELP US; for real. Be careful "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Posted by: Sandy77477 | April 10, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

It's just what I learned in broadcasting school "good news is bad news and bad news is good news". I applaud you for attempting to put a little good news into a very negative period in our nation's news media frenzy. It's too bad that so many people prefer to attack rather then enjoy a positive story for a change.

Posted by: tel | April 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with some of you people???!!! Do you really take the tongue-in-cheek remark about the endorsement for baby-sitting seriously? It's "great thinkers" like those who bought the world 8 years of disaster. Abigail is 12 and Obama's kids are 9 and 6. How can some of you be so mean-spirited, cynical and callous?!!! Sheesh!!!

Posted by: friend from canada | April 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I think I will stop reading blogs after this vitriol How abusive with children involved!!! What awful people to spit out such vitriol,
Carmel

Posted by: Carmel O'Brien Mulreany | April 10, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Casey endorsed Obama, because his kids asked him to (at least that is his official story) and now Klobuchar reveals that her daughter was the driving force behind her endorsement.

I still remember that President Carter was crucified when he admitted that from time to time, he asked his daughter Amy for advice. Times are changing.

Personally, i think that a senator who is guided by his/her kid(s) when it comes to politics, is a fool and not worthy of the office they hold.

Tells you a lot about the people who support Obama and tells you a lot about Obama himself. Obviously, his issues do not get people to support him.

Posted by: Steve | April 10, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

How sad that any sick creep can post at the Washington Post without screening. Did you read that disgusting comment about Obama's children?

Posted by: Nuttyprof | April 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

aww that's a cute story, maybe when she's a bit older though,i'm not sure most parents would let a 12 year old babysit a 6 & 9 year old, they're close enough in age to be friends.

Posted by: mona31 | April 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh just great. Now people are making their decision for President based on a 12 year old's views.

With this idiocy we will end up with McCain.

Posted by: PaseoDelMar | April 10, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

You guys at wasinghton post will never cease baffling me. The extent of your anti-obama sentiments is so eggregious that it reeks!It's high time you guys started acting like journalists (ie if you're one!)

Posted by: chyke | April 10, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

It's Minnesota where government has become a joke.

Jesse Ventura is now living in Mexico after his governorship there.

Posted by: rojo | April 10, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

This was, as so many have said, a 'cute' story. Call me softhearted but I liked it.

My question is, will Abigail, if Obama's elected, take a portion of her earnings and then give it to Obama for his reelection campaign. Surely then in '12, he will be able to say on the campaign trail that he even gets small donations from 16-year old babysitters.

As for someone fearing for Abigail's future, have no fear. I think she's set. I do wonder if she'll follow her Mom's footsteps. Being a young person myself (19), I hope I can remember this girl's name 3 decades from now when we will surely hear it again.

Posted by: ryanWM10 | April 10, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Take the story anyway you want but any person that talks about someone's kids the way that one of the above bloggers did should be banned for life. The person is not just anti-Obama who is fair game. When he mentioned his kids he was out of line. In my opinion that blogger is a racist coward and not fit to be part of the HUMAN RACE.

Posted by: Brian | April 11, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

We voted for and supported Amy Klobuchar - can't remember voting for Abigail. We hope this style of endorsement comes back to haunt whichever Klobuchar will be running next time.

Posted by: Tess | April 11, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "I wouldn't want to babysit the little Wright brain-washed racist Obama kids. They might stab me with a syringe full of the AIDS virus while I wasn't looking."

Another under-educated Clinton supporter heard from. And a sick one also.

Posted by: wly34 | April 11, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "Who is the bigotted coward who made those remarks about being infected with AIDS by the Obama's children? I suspect it is a white man and a sick one at that. Probably a racist, homophobic and misogynist, the typical Republican..."

Please. Sick?, I agree, but "probably a white man"?? Hey, I am white, the last time that I looked, but an Obama worker and supporter. If I had been a Clinton supporter, I would now have switched to Obama, after reading some of the sick stuff that Senator Clinton's supporters post. This bickering needs to end soon or the Republicans will be laughing at us all the way to the White House.

Posted by: wly34 | April 11, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Quote: The headline reads:

"Deal Behind Sen. Klobuchar's Endorsement of Obama"

Please, what "journalist" wrote or approved this headline. Lots of people only read headlines and this one is worded just to make them believe that there is a shady deal going on here. I'll just bet you that some Clinton supporter will use this in a post soon.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's as good a decision as the adult voters made in 2000 when they voted for Bush because he was a guy they'd like to have a beer with, even though by his own admission he couldn't hold his booze or stop drinking. It is obvious that he destroyed a major portion of his brain.If you want to elect a guy you can have a beer with, go to the bar instead of watching the debates. In fact, instead of the debates, let's have a chugging contest. Last man standing is president.Maybe the kids have better judgement than the adults.

Posted by: oldman&theC | April 11, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "what some people are writing here makes you think America has lost its sense of humor..."

No, American has just lost its sense.
Some people think everything that they read is meant to be taken literally. Some can't even read. Pitiful.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I am concerned by the shallow reason that a Senator would give for endorsing a candidate. The Democratic Party is in sad shape when this is the quality of leadership of its senators.

Posted by: Louise | April 11, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Louise, you are one of those that the poster was talking about when they said America has no sense of humor any longer.
It was a joke. Get real.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I will support Obama too if my 12 year old daughter gets to roam around the white house. But I don't know whether I would want my daughter to visit the white house if Hillary ends up as the president. We will have one loose Bill Clinton hiding in the hallways chasing around anybody who wears a dress. The only person he doesn't chase is the one in the pantsuit (Hillary).

Posted by: janet | April 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

First we have our members of congress announcing that they support Obama because their children told them to do so. Now we have a "cutsy" story about babysitting Obama's girls. I guess it is funny.....but if we want to be serious, I want to know what Richardson was promised. I want to know why the leadership can't keep their hands off the delegates. We need to be very serious about this race.

Posted by: mousey1958aol.com | May 2, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse