The Aftermath

United's victory was dampened by a season-ending injury to forward Jamil Walker in the reserve match. He ruptured his Achilles' tendon in the first half and will probably not be able to run again until next spring.

The reserves played to a 0-0 tie. With Walker hurt in the first half and John Wilson out early with a foot/ankle injury, goalie Jay Nolly became a field player and Shawn Crowe took over in goal. Dominic Mediate was on the field as a guest player.

As for the big match, good effort by United in the second half after a drab performance to start. Soehn deserves credit for sensing the game heading in D.C.'s favor and taking the initiative by replacing a defender (Erpen) with a forward (Kpene) and getting Moreno more involved by dropping him into midfield.

PLAYER RATINGS
Perkins 6; Namoff 6, Boswell 6, Erpen 5, Gros 5; Fred 5, Carroll 6, Olsen 5, Gomez 5; Moreno 6, Emilio 5. Subs: Kpene 6, Simms 5, deRoux 5.

My game report is on washingtonpost.com. Continue below for bonus quotes.....

ESKY
On his feisty play vs. his old team: "I don't think they expect anything less from me. They know that I am going to go out there and compete and try to win the game. They don't take anything I say to heart and vice versa. We're all competitors but after the game, I'm sure I will hang out with them and give them a hug."
On his spat with Perkins: "He's a great goalie and a great guy, but then again, I felt he was trying to get me thrown out of the game by motioning to the ref that I threw an elbow. But I didn't throw an elbow. That's why I was upset. To me, that's cheating and he knows I didn't throw an elbow and for him to go to the ref and show his elbow, I was pretty bothered by that and I let him know about it. For some reason, I got a yellow card.
On scoring vs. DCU: "Obviously, it always feels good to get the three points against your old club, but I'd rather get the three points than the goal. It's very bittersweet for me because I felt we had the game in our hands and certain decisions here and there cost us the game."
SOEHN
First effort performance: "I don't think it was very good. We weren't crisp. They obviously dropped some guys back and we couldn't find the space. I thought there was room to find the flanks and we didn't do a good job of doing that."
On the second half: "We started to create chances and when you put teams under pressure, things happen."
On the direction of the team: "The mentality is better. I was disappointed in the first half but to come back and show the energy we did, there's still a lot to work on, but we're heading in the right direction."
On the last few minutes: "When you have a one-goal lead and you are in an away situation against a good team and with a crowd like that, you are always going to be worried in the end. We wanted to come out with three points and give the guys a lot of credit for digging deep and getting them."
BOSWELL
On the Toronto goal: "It happened so quick, it didn't matter where guys were. It was just one of those plays where it hits someone, takes a bounce and it's right back to them, and he's got a sitter; that's where he makes his money. The important part is how we reacted."
GROS
"We're down 1-0, we know we are a good team, we know we can score and with that being said, I don't think we've played our best soccer yet."
MORENO
Playing in midfield: "It's definitely not new for me, but defensively I've never done that work because I don't think I am a good defender. I felt like doing that today and I was just ready to play the game. What matters is that D.C. United won and that's all I care."

By Steve Goff  |  May 19, 2007; 8:36 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday 6: DCU at TFC
Next: FA Cup Flashback

Comments

so what does that mean for walker's contract status for the rest of the season? it seemed like he would be the next to get cut if they signed someone new, but would it be bad form to cut an injured player who couldn't sign on elsewhere?

very sorry to hear about his injury.

Posted by: pat | May 19, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

He will go on the season-ending injury list. As I understand it, his contract will continue to count against the salary cap, but the team can fill his senior roster spot by signing a new player or promoting a developmental player.

Posted by: Goff | May 19, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

There has been a lot of talk(among fans) concerning Walker's status with the team for a little while now. I'd hate for Walker to be cut under these circumstances, but if somebody can be brought in that can help the team it is the proper business and soccer move. There had been talk about Wilson too....
I thought Soehn did much better today than in some previous matches. United got a deserved victory at BMO Field in Toronto. DC was the better team for the most part. Esky was pesky and physical. His card was deserved. In his blind aggression, he was fouling everybody within reach. Although Esky was annoying and near dead to me, I'm not sure I've seen anybody as large and physical as Dichio fall so easily.

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

My habit of not hitting submit or refresh after completing posts continues to make me look dumb. At least my last post wasn't days late....

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Josh Gros needs to learn he can't watch the game. Had he stepped forward 2 steps it looked to me like Esky would have been offside so no goal. Gros has a long way to go if he is really going to be a decent defender. Good thing he has a good attitude and work ethic. Good call by Soehn to pull Erpen; otherwise I think DCU ends the game with 10 men. I got a kick out of Jaime's interview after the game when he said he has 90 PKs in response to a Rongen question.

Posted by: Randy | May 19, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | May 19, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

ditruc..."I'm not sure I've seen anybody as large and physical as Dichio fall so easily."

...Didier Drogba!

Posted by: Erick | May 19, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that about Jamil, regardless of what was going to happen to him roster wise, I hope he recovers quickly. That is a painful injury.

Gutty performance today, for a needed win. Another one next week at home vs. Dynamo, and DCU will be in business.

Posted by: tmc | May 20, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

When Esky scored his goal, couldn't help but think of that announcer from last week's Man U-West Ham game when Tevez scored:

"It was bound to be him!"

Dunno why I thought that, and doesn't make much sense in hindsight, but there you go.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 20, 2007 1:34 AM | Report abuse

carroll still struggles

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought Moreno was magnificent in midfield. I also thought it was obvious that he can't sprint by defenders any more and shouldn't be asked to do so especially with Kpene available. The move of Moreno to midfield was the right move and should be permanent. Moreno showed he could run the show years ago when he did every El Diablo was suspended. He was the MOTM for me, not for his goal, but his defense and work rate. Best game I've seen from him in an age. The problem for Soehn is how to make that happen. 3-5-2 again? Bench Gomez? Good problem to have.

Posted by: RRP | May 20, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I think this season will be about defining another role for Jaime. He cannot be the player that he once was. The question is, can he be a valuable player in another role. Whether it be as a sixth man or a playmaker in the midfield or both, Jaime needs to define himself in another role if he wants to continue his career past this season.

On a related note, Kpene's discovery is just in the nick of time for DC United. He has ended up on the best possible roster for his skill set. I hope this is the beginning of a long, productive relationship between Kpene and DCU.

Posted by: Mark | May 20, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Do you get to see replays before filing your reports? Your story in the dead-tree version of the Post made it sound as if Wynne's foul on Emilio that produced the game-winning PK was a borderline call at best; you actually wrote that Emilio "sold it well." I watched the match on CSN. The replay made it clear that the ref unquestionably made the right call.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | May 20, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Appearing on camera after the match on CSN, Moreno appeared to have something tattooed, or at least inked, on both of his forearms. Does anyone know what that was?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | May 20, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Does Canada remain "sophisticated" for not allowing Dyachenko in -- again?

Posted by: Free Tibet, But Not Iraq | May 20, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

One of Moreno's arms has "JAIME" tattooed down the length of it. Not sure what the other one is.

Posted by: Goose | May 20, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

When DCU handled Dyachenko's papers for admission to Mexico and Honduras for Champions' Cup, there were no problems. MLS handles league games and logistics; they failed to get Rod into the country. Not that it matters that much; he wasn't going to play in the league match.

Posted by: Goff | May 20, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Except for the slop goal, I liked what I saw from the defense last night.

Namoff was my man of the match, as he continues to take it to another level this season. He's even picking up BC's slack in the midfield possession game. Blame Gros for the goal, if you must, but he was clearing everything out of the box in the second half. Even Erpen was playing pretty well until he was rightfully lifted before getting a second yellow.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 20, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

RE: Goff: "Yes, I did see the replay. There was clearly contact and, in my opinion (which will never appear in the paper), it was the right call. As I wrote, Wynne swept Emilio's leg out from under him. But Emilio's reaction certainly influenced the decision. He's a pro; he knows what to do."
No, what you wrote was "appeared to sweep Emilio's leg out from under him"

All the difference in the world. That paragraph reads "DIVE".

Posted by: Vivzig | May 20, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh, please. The contact was described fairly. Emilio then did what a good striker will always do in the box -- he hit the ground quickly.

DCU people think it was a clear foul; Toronto fans think it was a clear dive. What appeared in the paper was something in between.

Posted by: Goff | May 20, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Steven,

I agree with your game grades, no on really played well for DC. It's sad that our once proud franchise is down to having to celebrate a win where are gifted a PK and score an OG. I keep waiting to see signs of improvement but this may just not be a very good DCU team.

Posted by: tex | May 20, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"off-topic, but altidore missed the NYRB's game because he had to attend his high school prom? bruce arena actually allowed that?"

Bruce Arena isn't Peter Nowak.

Arena gave a night off to a kid who has got a very long summer and fall ahead of him.

That aside, keeping the squad in rotation and making sure players are fresh is pretty damn sensible.

Posted by: Ubumaurypovich | May 20, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid that this ends the days of Jamil.

Posted by: Dave | May 20, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, can't imagine Jamil coming back and making an MLS roster after something as devastating as this injury.

Posted by: Goff | May 20, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Jamil. Follow Jaime's example and rehab into a fitter player for '08. You will be able to compete for a job next spring -- good luck!

SG, how about some props for the not-best fans in the league who could be heard over the 20,000 others several times? And I'm not just talking the bombo here, but the singing came across.

I hope the quiet-siders have enough oomph and pride in their team that will translate into some vocal support against Houston. Our last two games have been against teams we should have beaten -- and did. Houston is a different team. They have the will of champions -- and the Revs. How about it, quiet-siders?

GM

Posted by: GrillMaster | May 20, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Re: Altidore

God forbid a kid at the threshold of what hopefully will be a very long career gets the chance to go have some fun like other teenagers. The fact that he isn't being told that RBNY-Columbus in May 2007 is vital to life is a good thing - he hopefully will have a more balanced outlook on life as a result of being allowed to be 17.

Posted by: Brian | May 20, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

damn Toronto has no quiet side. Luckily their stadium acustics suck :)

Posted by: Srdan La Barra | May 20, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Carroll's best game of the year.

Moreno showed a lot of heart and desire to fill the role needed in midfield. Kudos.

A win is a win, one that we needed.

Posted by: JSF | May 20, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Way to misspell my name Erick, or should I say Edick?
//ok...that was dumb and immature...but you started it

Posted by: sitruc | May 20, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I second everything everyone has said about Jamil, lets hope he comes back better than ever. the guy has talent, just needs to channel it.

Also want to give props to Jamie for his defensive efforts. Don't know as you caught it on tv but, he had two great blocks late in the second half on crossing efforts from OBrien. Hell of an effort to backtrack, That is CAPTAIN leadership. Like Jamie in the middle with Knepe up top. Play the 3-5-2 in the second half always. It goes to our strength

Posted by: crowbar | May 20, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crowbar | May 20, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crowbar | May 20, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Altidore was already in Florida for a U20 camp. He played a game for them on Wednesday, so he was borderline for Bruce anyway. The prom deal was not that big a deal since he was already in Bradenton.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | May 20, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Fun game. DC supporters were off to my right and did their best to bring noise. Replay was clear was it? I was right behind the goal when the call happened. As well, 20,000 fans had the luxury of watching the replay of the offense on the big screen seconds after the call. Nice comeback. An own goal and a disputed penalty late in the game against a team that was playing it's third game in a week. Good on you. Nice being in the league. Invite everyone from DC up to experience the crowd at BMO field.

Cheers!

Posted by: tfc supporter | May 20, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse

from the Toronto Globe and Mail: "D.C. United also has some players who know how to fall at the convenient times. Based on this game, the D.C. could well stand for Diving Club although in this game it doesn't have the patent on that aspect."

Diving Club? Wait till TFC plays FC Dallas, NE Revolution, or the LA Galaxy

Posted by: diego r. | May 20, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

"Based on this game, the D.C. could well stand for Diving Club although in this game it doesn't have the patent on that aspect."

I've met lots of folks from Toronto, and they didn't have British accents. Funny, then, how their soccer writers are trying to sound like British tabloids.

Do they also call it "football"?

Posted by: Joe S. | May 21, 2007 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Hey Joe S. - while Canadians don't speak in British accents, their english is very much so "British" english. Note their spelling of words like centre, colour, defence. And my guess is that their newspaper reporters like to fashion themselves after the Brits in many other respects.

What the heck is tfc supporter talking about? Is that a compliment or a dig on DCU and its supporters? I can't tell!

Posted by: DE | May 21, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you could say that TFC was saying "bring it"

Posted by: Rob | May 21, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the write ups in both Toronto papers I saw were pathetic in their homerism, unless these clowns are columnists.

Obviously we have been spoiled in this market by Goff's objective reports.

Not only do these reports lack objectivity, they are also distinctly lacking in the ability to see what's happening on the field.

I hope their game reporters step up their objectivity to match the TFC supporter's enthusiasm.

Posted by: JkR | May 21, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Obviously we have been spoiled in this market by Goff's objective reports.

Posted by: JkR | May 21, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

qdzbghncu zgkc fmlktew txkoi vztc vgbfcsd uitw

Posted by: qeiuv zauxbwv | June 3, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

baewrt tibq umfdrp vqxpzfm tncquyfzr rnhaqk wbmlygotf http://www.iaqrfgu.kvdmh.com

Posted by: ycquamrv josixrl | June 3, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ycquamrv josixrl | June 3, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

vmdgkr bufgo nzrdov xoqv hzrxntq lrxnfwuse hdojxnygw rvgwqzdef rzauw

Posted by: hjakv toqapljv | June 3, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

ykxraqzei dbftun keozrqs wmgqtvscu tbwn suhrlwbvg idoc [URL=http://www.ygbnulmh.sduatceo.com]cixstrgak iyufz[/URL]

Posted by: zfaeli gkznplr | June 3, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zfaeli gkznplr | June 3, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zfaeli gkznplr | June 3, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zfaeli gkznplr | June 3, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

cxviyzntw tabc gxys fqxahoc afmtyho txuvwjqof lunymzjsb [URL]http://www.wliprk.bwtmzuklg.com[/URL] xfreibvd fvndyrxg

Posted by: emvy iqbgeoywm | June 3, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse