Destination: China

Greetings from Chengdu, capital of Sichuan province and, most importantly, home to an Irish bar called Shamrock. D.C.-based photographer extraordinaire Tony Quinn, who will arrive Tuesday, is very happy about this prospect. (McGoff is too.)

To review the last 30 hours or so......

*Pre-dawn hours Friday at LAX.....It's after Labor Day, so no lines, no screaming kids, no grumbling parents, just business folk. The kind United Airlines desk agent finds me in the system, but alas, the computer spits out only one boarding pass: L.A. to San Francisco. As far as I know, the Women's World Cup will not be played in the Bay Area, and since I have slightly under 8 million miles on my itinerary, this is a problem. Puzzled, she pounds away at the keyboard. We're making progress...slowly.

*No business class (grrrr), but an aisle seat in the center section with no one sitting next to me. Nice. My new friend Jon, a Fulbright scholar a few seats down, does his best to make sure I do not mangle Mandarin upon arrival. Movies (no thanks) are Spiderman 3, Fracture (Anthony Hopkins was in that?), Surf's Up (my son is almost 11, which no longer requires me to endure animated films) and Fantastic 4 (Alba!). I try to sleep, but the big video screen is just two rows ahead of me -- it's sort of like having a neon sign as your nightlight.

*Our flying route is not straight across the Pacific, as you might think from staring at a flat map. In fact, we fly north and along the Alaskan coastline, cross the Bering Sea and the international dateline, pass the Gulf of Shelekhova (didn't she win the U.S. Open?) and the Sea of Okhotsk, dip below Siberia and skirt the Korean peninsula (Shout out to my ace Kim Jong Il).

*I pass time reading the novel Water for Elephants and giving my IPod a workout. Just a sample:

Jayhawks: Save It for a Rainy Day
Barenaked Ladies: If I Had a Million Dollars
Neil Young: From Hank to Hendrix
Grateful Dead: Box of Rain
Miles Davis: Kinda Blue
Tom Petty: Mary Jane's Last Dance
U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday (live, 1983)
Los Lobos: I Got Loaded
Amos Lee: Keep It Loose
John Hiatt: Cry Love
Van Halen: Little Guitars
Peter Tosh: (You Gotta Walk) Don't Look Back
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things
Steve Earle: Somewhere Out There
R.E.M.: South Central Rain

*We arrive in Beijing five minutes early, which on a 12-hour route, shaves 0.0069 percent off the flight. Some classic English signs in the terminal:
Kiss N Bake (cafe)
Flavor Tang (restaurant)
Information for Flight Irregularity (delay board)
Steep Slope! (ramp)

And this photo caption in an Air China magazine about hiking in Canada:
"These are the views that jerk the rugs of the ho-hum usual, that will put everything else in perspective."

Connecting domestically is rough. My flight has been delayed indefinitely. I get on a later flight. My row mate is from Beijing and speaks good English; he says he's been to Indianapolis. Go figure.

Thanks for indulging me. Back tomorrow with actual USA women's soccer stuff.

By Steve Goff  |  September 8, 2007; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The TV Coverage: Tape Delay Galore
Next: Who Am I and Why Am I Here?

Comments

So. Central Rain.

Well done Goffer

Posted by: Brian | September 8, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see you arrived safely. Will you get a chance to do any sightseeing in the next 48 hours? If so, what will you see? What other countries are represented in the press corps in Chengdu?

Posted by: Section 410 | September 8, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Even more interesting question: What other USA media organizations have decided to cover this event as the Post has?

Posted by: Section 410 | September 8, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Do you have a translator? How do the Chinese feel about hosting the WWC? Enthusiasm? Apathy? Too many damned tourists? Glorious moment for the People's Republic?

Is "Water for Elephants" the sequel to "Like Water for Chocolate"?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 8, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

So Central Rain is good, but being from Rockville, "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" says everything about that town that I can't put into words.

Posted by: Colm | September 8, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

damn, goff's job is the balls ...

Posted by: littles | September 8, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see an iPod playlist that includes bands and songs I know of! That Screaming Eagle tailgate playlist is cool, but makes me feel very old:-)

Posted by: Beaker | September 8, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

i like that you flew on UNITED.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | September 8, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the synopsis. Coincidentally enough, I'll be on the SF-Beijing United Airlines flight on Monday. I'll be starting in Kentucky, however, and continuing on to Mongolia from Beijing. Now I know what to expect! The uses of Soccer Insider never cease to amaze.

Posted by: Justin O | September 8, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Goffer -- About flying straight across the Pacific. Be glad you didn't. The world ain't flat. Google Mercator projection and learn a bit about mapmaking, routes and our round globe.

Posted by: Freddie B | September 8, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Sunday morning sunrise (sort of) update:

Chengdu has redefined the word "gray."

It will brighten up later. I am sure of it.

Posted by: Goff | September 8, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the shout out! You are definitely the coolest person I've ever been seated next to in a plane. What what economy plus...

Posted by: Jon | September 8, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

So Steve, can you CLARIFY. Did the plane land early or did you exit the plane early. Just clarify that for me. (Inside joke folks, no need for alarm).

Enjoy China Steve and email me when you get a minute away from cranking out stories and avoiding chicken.

Posted by: Not Jere | September 8, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse