Santino on Trial

[updated with Kasper comment]

D.C. United officials confirm that Santino Quaranta, once the club's golden boy before injuries and lackluster play derailed his career, rejoined the team in California over the weekend and is scheduled to continue a formal trial when United resumes training Thursday in Washington.

In case you've lost track, the 23-year-old Baltimore native was traded to Los Angeles for allocation money in the summer of 2006, traded to New York last season for a box of Cheerios and waived (along with his $105,000 contract) by the Red Bulls this winter. Quaranta had been working himself back into shape the last couple months in hopes of making an impression on an MLS team and earning a new contract, which would undoubtedly be worth a fraction of what he was earning.

GM Dave Kasper said Quaranta will accompany the team to San Antonio this weekend for the final stage of training camp and three friendlies against MLS teams.

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2008; 9:11 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: CONCACAF News and Thoughts for Alan Kelly

Comments

Here is one of the great one for all time. Real Madrid celebrating a goal that wasn't and Getafe charging down the pitch to get the game winner!

Posted by: Orange 14 | February 25, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,
Quaranta again? Didn't we let him go already for a reason?
Sincerely,
BOB

Posted by: BOB | February 25, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Why would DC do this. He didn't do anything for us his first time around, and now I hear he has put on a lot of weight. In addition, the fans already hate him for moking them after LA beat DC a couple years back. He dosen't belong in a DC uniform.

Posted by: Springfield | February 25, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Santino no left foot Quaranta?? No Thanks! Go kiss someone else's badge.

Posted by: JE | February 25, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we let Santino go, but he was relatively highly paid and we got something for him. Now he has been waived, so we are getting him for free (maybe we have to send a box of Cheerios to NY, I'm not sure what the MLS rules say) and his salary will be lower. He has the "potential" to contribute in this league. If he doesn't make it on the roster then he is gone, no money out of our pocket, and we get our Cheerios back ;-)

Sounds like a low-risk, clever move by the FO to me.

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 25, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Mocked I was when I thought a Santino trial was worth a look.

Let's face it, with Ben out and Carroll, Gomez and Gros all gone we need the depth Tino could provide.

Granted he needs to stop worrying about his tats and his hair, and sounds like he needs to lose some pounds but he's at least serviceable as a mid. I wouldn't expect much out of him.

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Not only is this move low-risk, it also will lower our cholesterol.

Posted by: I am not a real doctor | February 25, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I hope that Tino's riches-to-rags experience will motivate him to focus on his play. He has (had?) the potential to be a good contributor. So giving a second chance to someone who wasted his first through immaturity is not a bad idea, especially if it's not costing us much.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@delantero

"Ha! Mocked I was when I thought a Santino trial was worth a look."

I just thought I should point out for the record that sound like Yoda you do.

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 25, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps, just perhaps, he's matured and is ready to actually be more of the potential that everyone liked. It doesn't hurt to take a look. It it happens, he better eat some humble pie and then work hard and be a contributor.

Posted by: Postmaster | February 25, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Santino,

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Posted by: Yoda | February 25, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Matt, sounds more like Dr. Zoidberg. :)

I don't like Tino, but if picking him up is what's right for United, then I'm all for it.

Posted by: Goose | February 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

We owe him a trial at least. We didn't handle him very well when he was a youngster. If he's learned his lesson and can contribute, there is a path to forgiveness. At least with me. He is not completely blameless for going off the deep end, but neither is DCU for that matter.

Posted by: DCAustinite | February 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Go Santino! I hope DC picks him up. He is one of the most gifted players but just has yet to put it all together and only 23 years old...could be good IF he gets it together.

Posted by: bobf | February 25, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Tino was getting a serious look for the '06 World Cup team before he got injured I do believe

Posted by: Josh | February 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I hope Santino works himself back on the squad. At his uninjured best he has as much talent as anyone, he just needs to be in shape and develop the mental focus to stay in shape.

Posted by: Hedbal | February 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I admit - I am biased since I can walk to his house from my office. I can only hope now that he has essentially lost his career he will finally wise up. He was always so skilled he didn't have to put any effort into the game. He has talent - he just needs to devote himself to the game. Unfortunately, I thought he was turning a corner before and only been disappointed.

Posted by: JH6 | February 25, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Dropping off a couple of cases of beer at the Barra tailgate might be a good start for Tino.

Posted by: 135Fanatico | February 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

How can anyone rationally think that this isn't a good gamble? It's just a trial, he is clearly talented, and we could get him back at a fraction of what we were paying him two years ago. How is that bad? Oh yeah, I forgot. I included "rationally" in my first sentence. Continue the hysterics.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | February 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Sicknote!!!!

Posted by: Jacknut | February 25, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Goff:

Is DCU talking about doing an incentive-based contract (i.e. number of minutes played, goals scored, etc) for Quaranta?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 25, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping he would contact DCU for a try-out especially since Ben Olsen will be out for a while. DCU doesn't have any wing depth and if Tino is serious about playing and wanting to prove that he is a player...then I think he is worth a look. Good luck to Tino!!

Posted by: Tino Fan | February 25, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

A lot of people had given up on Jaime too... after his weak season with NY.

Maybe we should try the Albright move... take a worthless attacker and turn him into a National Team defender. Can't hurt to try.

Posted by: bbarrie | February 25, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Such a young kid and so much potential. I hope he can get it together. Who wouldn't love to see him succeed in a DCU uniform?

Posted by: jva | February 25, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any chance that 'tino is one of the guys who you have access to from the old days?
I would love to know what he is thinking about this...
Great work, btw.

Posted by: jgildea | February 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for Tino getting a look. Olsen is out for the time being and we have no certain replacement. I'm not a real big Cheerios fan anyway. On the other hand, if NY starts holding out for a box of Captain Crunch it might be time to reconsider...

Orange14, thanks for the YouTube link for the Madrid-Getafe action. I saw the highlights on Contacto Deportivo last night but didn't realize Madrid's disallowed goal (correct call) and Getafe's goal occurred in sequence.

Posted by: garbaggio | February 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff, while you're at it ask him about his crotch grabbing diss at the supporters.

Posted by: 135Fanatco | February 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 135Fanatico | February 25, 2008 10:12 AM
-------------------------------------------
I suspect there would be some missing by the time he got to lot 8

Posted by: jgildea | February 25, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Santino can help out Gallardo.

This is just a cheap way to highlight Jai's alarming eyewitness comment from the San Jose scrimmage, from a previous thread:

Not looking so good:
Gallardo- Maybe he was not going full on, but he was very tentative and didn't take on a lot of people. Mainly got the ball and 1 touched it away. Didn't really make a strong mark on the game. He is also very slight and got bodied off the ball easily.

Posted by: the sky is not falling, the sky is not falling | February 25, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Box of Cherios" is classic

Posted by: Kim | February 25, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm willing to let bygones be bygones but there's a lesson there about burning bridges. Hopefully Tino matured and his shot at the Barra was just a mistake. I know some people that are still steamed about it though.

Posted by: Chico | February 25, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Goff -

Why isn't DC United going after Francis Doe?

Posted by: Wags | February 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

DC United better not sign Q1 for anything more than a developmental spot... And he better not step on the field at RFK for a game.

In fact, after his display to the DC United fans while in a Galaxy kit, I wouldn't even let him wear a DC United practice jersey. If DC signs him, it better be as a janitor!

Posted by: TCompton | February 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Doe? A deer?

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

it's not the possibility of Tino that is troubling, it's what the Redbulls might demand for his rights (they do still have them, right?)

while I respect the idea of teams keeping player's rights for a while to prevent tampering and pure cash ruling the day, there's something to be said for changing the rule to reflect players being cut, not simply expiring contracts.

Posted by: northzax | February 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Tino can cross the ball, has good size and skill. The question remains, will he actualy run? I remember being so frustrated with his lack of effort that I stood up and screamed, "Run, Tino, Run!" at him the last time I saw him play right outside mid for us.

I would love to see him in Olsen's spot until he comes back, if Tino will actually put forth some effort.

Posted by: Section106 | February 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Red Bulls outright waived Quaranta, which means he is free to sign elsewhere without compensation.

Posted by: Goff | February 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

A free-male deer.

Posted by: B.A. | February 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think you guys think too highly of the Barra Brava (start your flames now). It's a supporters group not the Politburo, and an immature moment from a dumd kid does not sentence him to 15 years hard labor in the gulag.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 25, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

There is no harm in taking a look at him, but if we sign him that means guys like moose or P. Carroll who have been working their butts off won't. Tino can certainly impress and work hard for one week, but in two months where will he be?

Posted by: jgildea | February 25, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Doe? A deer?
Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 11:04 AM

A free-male deer.
Posted by: B.A. | February 25, 2008 11:09 AM

Ray. A man with a golden tongue.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Going out of your way to insult fans that have supported you through some REALLY low times is not a Barra issue. It is a character issue.

Posted by: jgildea | February 25, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Q's first breakout game (and goal) at KC (so many years ago).

Are we due for a repeat to start the 2008 season?

I think so.

I hope for a new player with the "skill" of Quaranta and the "determination" of Gros. such a player would be a fine addition to United's flank options in 2008.

Posted by: Positive Thoughts | February 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

It's not about the Barra, it's about a player disrespecting the team and the fans that supported him from the first day he put on the uniform. I'd rather have a player that bleeds for the badge than one that kisses the other teams badge. He can grab his butt and kiss mine.

Posted by: 135Fanatico | February 25, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Doe? A deer?
Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 11:04 AM

A free-male deer.
Posted by: B.A. | February 25, 2008 11:09 AM

Ray. A man with a golden tongue.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 11:16 AM

Me, a focus of the Ray.
FA, a way of getting Doe.

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrinn | February 25, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

So if Quaranta has some success with United in 2008, and kisses the DC badge in a moment of celebration, no one will accept that?

Times change. Players shift teams. Plyaers are traded. Players come back. Contracts with the league are ended and perhaps renewed again.

If Quaranta puts on a DC uniform in 2008 and has success, there's no reason the fans won't support him again.

The Barra, and anyone else, have too much "character" to not support United in order to spite an individual player.

Posted by: Club | February 25, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I think we're getting waaaay ahead of ourselves here. We're talking about a player that was let go from the Galaxy and the RedBulltards for crissakes. I can't imagine there's not a better option out there than Quaranta. He'd really have to impress to take someones roster spot.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | February 25, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Tino's performance demonstrated that he lack class. Sure, he may be good, but is that the type of player you want representing your team?

There are several examples of how players with class behave when they play their former teams...

When Emilio scored away against Olympia, he didn't celebrate. That's class.

Petke applauded the Barra and Eagles after his first game back to DC in a Rapids jersey. That's class.

Tino demonstrated no class and should not be considered for any future positions with the organization. DC United should remain a classy organization and not allow an immature player who has yet to demonstrate professionalism to wear the crest.

Posted by: TCompton | February 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

So, it nicely rhymes with Doe

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Youth and immaturity usually go away. Hopefully his skill can stay. He still has potential.

By the way, speaking of supporting fans, Tino may have screwed up big at RFK, but he did have good moments. When I took my kids to Game of their Lives premiere, we saw Tino outside Gallery Place with his girlfriend. My kids (10 and 8 at the time), were so excited to see him. When Santino heard the kids say his name (just to us parents, not calling him), he came over and gave the guys high fives and autographs and talked to them for over a full minute telling them to come out to RFK and root the team on, etc. He could have easily just waved and walked on, especially since the event was still 90 minutes away, but he was genuinely kind and courteous.

Coupled with his bouts of immaturity were flashes of great things on and off the field. Any of us over 30 can relate to stupid stuff we did in our youth. I hope he does well and gives us some attacking play. If not, not a bad decision to at least give him a trial.

Posted by: soyinocente | February 25, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Well if we have to give Red Bull a box of Cheerios for him and it doesn't work out do you think we can get our box of Cheerios replenished when Q ends up with the Baltimre Blast???????

Posted by: Piney O | February 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

With Philly announcing that it's coming in this week, the CBA set to expire at the end of the year, and teams around the league having a year of net-exports - Other than increased Salary Caps (perhaps a double of the figure is high - but should be realistic), how is MLS going to stock these teams with talent? Can we have CONCACAF/FIFA declare all Canadians/Americans as domestic players?

Posted by: Expansion | February 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

---------

When Emilio scored away against Olympia, he didn't celebrate. That's class.

-----------

yeah, it would be great when a kid in their late teens or early 20's could show the same level of maturity as pros who are approaching age 30. but that's not reality. to expect otherwise, seems a bit foolish, imo.

do I expect a "more-mature" Q (if that is now, or still a few years down the road, who knows) to behave differently than the young Q -- or the Emilio or Petke examples you cite? i certainly would hope so.

---------
---------

Maybe he'll demostrate some professionalism during his trial.

I'm confident DC United will make the right call on the player and the available roster spots for 2008.

I'm also fairly certain the fans will be able to forgive and forget (and move on) as the situation warrants.

Posted by: When maturity arrives | February 25, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

A potential great move by Kasper and Co. if he provides just a few games of support during the heavy portion of the schedule this year. At a minimium, somebody else may take an interest and we get something in return.

Posted by: tim | February 25, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"I'd rather have a player that bleeds for the badge than one that kisses the other teams badge. He can grab his butt and kiss mine."

Dude, a little perspective is in order. This is a grown boy-men playing a game, not life or death. It's great to be a fan, but it's not great to be a fanboy.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, why not give Q another chance. Hey, we should see if Mark Lisi wants to come in and try out as well!

Seriously, though, I don't see why we shouldn't give Quaranta a 38th chance... nobody's perfect after all...

Posted by: Oh snap... | February 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. It is much, much more important than that."

Bill Shankly

Can't say I disagree...

Posted by: Chico | February 25, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

And to bring this to an end:

LA. A place where superstars go.
Tino brings the Cheerios.
That will bring us back to Doe.

BTW, Norman Chad mentions the Von Trapp family in today;s couch slouch column.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

this to the annoymous posting. Its a matter of respect what santino did to us fans, if you dont have enough respect than talk for yourself not us. We know there are diffrent levels of fans those who watch at home and those who go to all the games.

Posted by: dcfan | February 25, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Why are so many out there quick to defend Quaranta? He disrespected the Barra and the whole team, why? Did we really treat him that bad? That was dumb and immaturity had nothing to do with it. Im his age,23 and i'll tell you one thing, when isaw him do that i wanted to jump on the field and beat his *** myself!

He has no class, or knows nothing of respect when it comes to club teams. Although i hope he makes our squad and really turns out to paly good like he did before, but my other side wishes he never plays for us again.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Perspective? Where I come from your team is your identity, your passion. You put all your strength and fervor into supporting them. And for someone to come along and basically crap all over it is inexcuseable. But if you feel that it's just a game there's no sense in trying to get you to understand.

Posted by: 135Fanatico | February 25, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if Santino drops off a keg and a box of Cheerios in Lot 8 before the home opener all will be forgiven.

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 25, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The Q train has left the station. I'm not interested.

Posted by: JSF | February 25, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think its great that Tino is getting a try out. For United it is win-win.

If he makes the team it shows more commitment than he previously had. I'm sure along the way to making the team he will have what he did in that LA brought up- and he will have to show remorse. I can understand folks not happy about the prospect at this point but I also know that folks here forgive. Let's just see what happens.

And if he makes the team he gives depth at winger (his worst position) forward (he's a great 4th forward) and a-mid. That's a great fit on this year's team.

Posted by: ursula | February 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What exactly did he do that has people so upset with him ?

Posted by: newbie | February 25, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article in today's WSJ about the kid who was killed at the US embassy in Belgrade.

"Many of the other young people who protested outside the U.S. and other embassies last Sunday were also soccer fans. They came back on Thursday, breaking away from a demonstration of at least 150,000 people to attack embassies. Then they rampaged through central Belgrade, smashing and looting 90 shops, including McDonald's franchises.

Serbia's soccer fans are notorious. A small hard core of fans of some clubs are violent and frequently get in fights after games. They also tend to be avid supporters of Serbia's ultranationalist Serbian Radical Party, whose leader, Vojislav Seselj, is currently on trial in The Hague for alleged war crimes. The party is the largest in Serbia's Parliament, although a coalition of more liberal parties has formed the current government.

Zoran was a member of Partizan Belgrade's Southern Front fan club. A picture of Zoran on the Partizan soccer club's Web site shows him with his hands spread in the pro-Serbian three fingered salute, and with a black and white banner with a skull in the background, spelling "Serbia.""

Posted by: WNT fan | February 25, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree that it is worth giving Tino a look, but my instinct is that the best money for Tino can be found in the USL, and that is only if he can get his act together. Tino needs to go somewhere where he can play every day and get his confidence back. My god - has this kid fallen far or what?

Posted by: Skeptical | February 25, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Tino has done NOTHING for years. His ego trashed his career.

I see this as a waste of time. Move on.

Posted by: Nick | February 25, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

After the Galaxy scored on us he ran towards the supporters sections, grabbed his crotch, pointed at us and laughed.

Posted by: HulkHogan | February 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

If I might ask without setting off further firestorm, what did Tino do to exact such a severe penalty from the Barra, etc?

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

If he can bring us out fifth championship and shutting out the Gals and the Dynamo for a cheap price im all for it. I would like to see him grab his cratch at the NYRB Supporters group at theyre densly packed stadium.

Posted by: The Jim | February 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The DCU souvenir shop must have an excess supply of Quaranta jerseys it wants to get rid of...

Actually, it makes sense. If he shows he can play, they can get a somewhat known quantity at a bargain price. Makes more sense than using that slot on an untested unknown college player.

He is 23, can he still be placed in a Developmental slot? He is young enough, but I wonder since he was once a full contract player (i.e. "senior") player if he can ever revert to Developmental status? That would make him dirt cheap.

Posted by: Erick | February 25, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Why are we even wasting our time with this so-called soccer player?

Posted by: toddinho | February 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The point I think people are making about Tino is that if DC signs him it will be because he showed up at training fit, with a positive attitude, and creditable skills. If he has those tools ready for training, then you could take a gamble that he's turned a corner in his life. If he shows up out of shape, rusty or with a chip on his shoulder, then they won't sign him. Point is, if they sign him it will only be because it's a positive move for the club. So we've got nothing to worry about.

Posted by: Matte | February 25, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

-------
Why are we even wasting our time with this so-called soccer player?
-------

I'm sure that United would be interested in any other (and better) suggestions you might have.

A second stint for Quaranta with United could turn out to be beneficial for all parties.

Or, it could not go so well.

It seems like the team is at least interested in pursuing the idea, and this trial is just a step in the process. Time will tell.

Posted by: Clint Mathis | February 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they brought him in to show the young guys what it looks like to waste your talent and trash a promising career.
Uless he can start (!) who would want him around on the bench?

Posted by: Skeptical | February 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I assume he is in shape now...will he be able to maintain it? He never has before despite numerous chances and everything to play for.

Posted by: jgildea | February 25, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

all you santino haters take a chill pill. I was there and saw the crotch grab -- so what? He was (and still is) young and his emotions got the better of him. I'm sure if the team signs him, that crotch grab will be brought up, and I'm sure he regrets it.

To look at the flip side, if Petke, when he first came to DC, ran over to the metro supporters and grabbed his crotch, the DC faithful would have loved it. It would have endeared him to his new teammates and the supporters.

Back to Santino -- If he does get signed, let's wait and see what Santino has to say before we bury him. I love DCU, the sport etc., but still getting worked up over what he did is ridiculous. Live in the now. And yes, as much as I love it, in the grand scheme of things, it is just a game!!

Posted by: steve-o | February 25, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Just a game? Bollocks!

Posted by: The GhostOf GeorgeBest | February 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

==========================

Speak for yourself. The definition of class doesn't depend on what shirt you're wearing.

Posted by: DC faithful | February 25, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

----
----

Or when C.Gomez spit at C.J. Brown.

as immature and stupid as some acts on the field look, there are some "fans" out there (depending on their allegiances) who can forgive or accept/support some behavior while "disapproving" other actions.

Posted by: Dirty Game | February 25, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The good news for everyone involved on this is that no one in the DCU front office or coaching staff will feel much loyalty to Quaranta. What does that mean? If his trial is successful, he will have earned it. Soehn and Kasper have no prior history with Tino, so it's not like they'll want to sign him for nostalgia's sake, or because they liked him off the field. Best case scenario: he's fit and realizes that this is probably his last chance, and gets a very low senior contract. I'd hope that, if that happens, he'd have the sense to apologize to the fans and prove he means it by staying fit and giving his all to the club. Worst case: his trial ends and we send him on his way.

I disagree with ursula's statement that Quaranta's worst position is on the wing. If we go back to a 352 at some point that becomes true, but in a 442 with a stay-at-home defender like Namoff behind him, he was fighting with Ralston to start during qualifying for 2006 (until, once again, an injury brought on by lack of fitness). He also can't really play attacking midfield, because he's never shown the ability or desire to take over a game. Quaranta excels in short bursts, which is more of a winger's mentality.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

P.S.

WNT Fan-

Do yourself a favor and check out Franklin Foer's "How Soccer Explains The World". While the title oversells what the book actually manages to accomplish, it's still fascinating. There's chapter on how a section of Red Star fans ended up becoming an important part of Arkan's paramilitary force.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Dirty Game wrote: "Yeah, I'm certain everyone (DC United supporters especially) found it "classless" when Esky spit out the RedBull beverage at Giants Stadium.

Or when C.Gomez spit at C.J. Brown."

-----

I can only speak for myself, but:

1. You're right, I didn't find what Esky did classless; but it doesn't matter, because I think it's a bad analogy. It's not the same sort of action as what Tino did.

2. I *do* think that what Gomez did was classless and wrong -- *very* wrong, even though I can't stand C.J. Brown -- but again, I don't think it's comparable to what Tino did. And by "not comparable," I don't mean in degree. What Gomez did was plenty bad. I mean that it's a different sort of action. It's comparing apples and oranges.

In my book, one of the worst things players (of any sport) can do is to directly taunt supporters (something that did not occur in either the Gomez or Eskandarian incidents you mention). This is for a variety of reasons, not the least being that many of the worst public incidents in sport (not just soccer, but pro football and especially pro basketball) have started that way. But numerous people have taunted DC's supporters over the years without earning the same amount of ire that Tino did. What made Tino's actions more galling was that he had real-world, off the pitch friends in front of him, people that had literally held his hand during dark times, that he grabbed his junk in front of. Taunting supporters? Bad enough. But taunting your friends?

No thanks.

Posted by: Bootsy | February 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell,

I was in Kramerbooks on Friday night and almost got that book. For some reason, I put it down and I'm not sure why. I guess I didn't think it would be good. I'll have to go back and get it.

Posted by: toddinho | February 25, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Or when C.Gomez spit at C.J. Brown.

======================

I did find both classless, though Eskandarian's was more foolish than anything. But I don't presume to speak for all of DC's fans. More importantly in the total sweep of their careers, I don't think either CG or AE could fairly be unfavorably compared in terms of talent or comportment to SQ.

Posted by: DC faithful | February 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Well-stated, Bootsy.

But still, people make mistakes all the time. Especially in the heat of competition. Do we honestly think Q wouldn't take back that gesture or do it differently if he had to do it all over again.

My point is that we can't (or at least shouldn't) let one "moment" or incienent define a player or person.

That applies to Esky and the RB spit-take (which basically was a direct taunting of fans) and it applies to C.Gomez and his irrational behavior v the Fire and CJ Brown. and it applies to incidents like the Zidane headbutt and the Quaranta crotch grab (although I never saw that later and I'm sure it was upsetting and incredibly disappointing to many in the supporters groups at RFK).

There's certainly more to Q than just that taunting gesture.

Focusing on that "low" moment will certainly and unnecessarily cloud some people's (even one-time fans/fiends of Quaranta) enjoyment of the potential sunny days that may be on the horizon for Quaranta in MLS and for United. Who knows?

I certainly don't see the point in holding a grudge against any player (for any one incident), be that Esky, Gomez, Zidane or Quaranta.

There's more to life than stupid on-field and game-related behavior.

If Q can prove that he's grown up and moved on and if he winds up back on United's roster, I'd certainly expect and hope the fans to move on with him and pick up with the encouragement and support.

Posted by: Fan's game | February 25, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

-------
-------

Again, for a 23 y.o., I'd still hope that SQ has about half of his playing career still in front of him.

And I don't see anything wrong with United offering SQ another chance (to improve the "sweep of his career") and possibly regain some of those positive "comportment" points that were lost in the past.

And as "great" as C.Gomez or Esky were for United, certain Q has the potential to appear for his National Team more than either of those players.

"Talent" is a tough item to guage. But I'd certainly love to see Q get a chance to help United in the coming seasons, and if his "comportment" also begins to shine positively, I would think those two would both go some ways to carving out a more positive career (and image) for himself.

Posted by: A final chance or just a trial | February 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Boy. "Santino on Trial" really captures the tone of this discussion.

Very prescient Steve.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | February 25, 2008 11:37 AM
---------------------------------------------

Stay classy, SanTino!

Posted by: Ron Burgendy | February 25, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

another american soccer player with all this hype and never lived up to it. How about actually developing american players in this country. Wouldn't that be something!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 25, 2008 01:57 PM
------------------------------------------------

That chapter is actually one of the best in the book -- although to be fair, Simon Kuper's 1994 book "Football Against the Enemy" also looked at the connection between Serbian nationalism and football. Foer's book is pretty good, but basically is an update of Kuper's, using the same framework (travel the world and explore how the game intersect with society/politics/economics in different places).

FYI, Foer grew up in the D.C. area -- I played against him in MSI as a kid!

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 25, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 25, 2008 02:51 PM
=========================

Agreed, but Foer and Kuper come to remarkably dissimilar conclusions on the religious basis of the Celtic-Rangers rivalry. While the anti-Catholic chants make a strong impression on Foer, Kuper dismisses them as lyrics without meaning.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell,

Posted by: toddinho | February 25, 2008 02:07 PM

==========================================

I've read the book and recommend it highly.

P.S. I met Franklin at a DC United game. He lives in this area. Good guy. Good book.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I dont want santino back after what he did to us i dont thinks i'd like to see him in a DC uniform
Please dont compare what Esky did od what Gomez did to what santino did esky never played for NY and Gomez for Chicago and what tino did was much worse that what this other folks did NOTHING TO COMPARE THEM BY!!!

F..K tino hw can kiss my A.s

Posted by: 135 | February 25, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmmn. Have not the Barra, many whom are >23 yrs. old, done some things, in the spirit of the moment/fandom, that would be considered classless by others not possessing the same passion? I will bet now that if Tino scores a crucial goal to win a game (a very big if), there will be toasts in the general vicinity -- and redemption from those now seemingly disgruntled.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | February 25, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Santino's getting more shots taken at him than he did when he pulled up to that tollbooth on the Long Island Expressway (or wherever it was).

Somewhere between the extremes of unconditional hero worship and blind hatred lies a big area where a few folks can actually recognize virtues and flaws in the same individual.

I think it's premature to want him to sleep with the fishes.

Posted by: Frodo Corleone | February 25, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

If Santino publicly apologized for taunting the fans who had supported him for so long, I would forgive him. His actions were not so sever to banish him forever. They were however unprofessional and reflect poorly on his character and decision making capabilities.

From a performance standpoint, he has not showed me a single thing since he left United the first time to warrant any sort of second look. If however he earns a roster spot, so be it. I'm in favor of having the strongest roster possible. But I would except a public apology to the United fans.

The fact that United is allowing him to try out surprises me. His situation is probably a bit different than Moreno, when he returned from New York.

Moreno kept a good relationship with United. Perhaps Santino does too given his time spent in DC, but his past actions don't lend me to think that he puts too much thought toward the future.

Plus, prior to trying out, Bruce Arena--who had Moreno training with the US National Team--said that Moreno was one of the best players in camp. All I've read about Quaranta is that he is trying to get in shape... and he's been doing that since he came into the league.

Posted by: TCompton | February 25, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

MR Caretaker writes: "Hmmn. Have not the Barra, many whom are >23 yrs. old, done some things, in the spirit of the moment/fandom, that would be considered classless by others not possessing the same passion?"

-----

Speaking only for myself, yes, I have; but not directly at friends who know me personally.

Posted by: Bootsy | February 25, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

22 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 25, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Lets give the front office some credit. So far they seem to have a fair track record at selecting talent. Quaranta will make the team -- or he won't -- based on his performance during this tryout.

IF. IF he makes the team, we'll deal with it as fans because that will be the best move for the team.

Posted by: Curious | February 25, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Tino is a passionate player. I never had a problem with him taunting fans who were giving him a hard time (because we give all opposing players a hard time, because that's our job). What did you expect, for him to come over and kiss you?

I never had a problem with the crotch-grab. My problem with Tino is that he doesn't score enough goals. IF he comes back and starts scoring goals, I reckon all will be easily forgiven.

Posted by: Joe S. | February 25, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Barra, SE, or any other fan club? If the guy can help the team then you sign him. Feel free to not cheer for him you fan clubs with inflated self importance. You don't make personel decisions for a professional team.

Posted by: UR Idiots | February 26, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

You don't make personel decisions for a professional team.

Posted by: UR Idiots | February 26, 2008 09:19 AM
______________________________________________

And thank God for that! We'd probably end up with a roster as active as Toronto FC!

Posted by: TCompton | February 26, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Some "fans" posting seem to be hypocrites. They got all riled up when someone grabs their nuts at them, but yet they do it every game at RFK, not to mention the extensive use profanity and in some instances the tossing of objects
on the field.

Posted by: ??? | February 26, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Atencion Barra Brava: Wipe away the tears and get over yourselves. Quaranta made his "gesture" wearing the strip of another team. If he ends up wearing the Red and Black again, you will, of course, support him without reservation. That's YOUR JOB. Either that or give up your choice seats to futbol fans whose feelings aren't so easily hurt.

Posted by: loosek | February 26, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UR Idiots | February 26, 2008 09:19 AM

And if we dont cheer who will? you? problably not and just a lil something for u we are more important to this team than u will ever be to this world!!

Posted by: loosek | February 26, 2008 01:50 PM
That's YOUR JOB!! What are you talking about we dont get paid to cheer you dumbfuc. we do it because we like to and because its our passion but ofcourse u would never understand that because u dont even have passion for your ugly a.s family. As i said be4 FU.K Tino and Fu.k U TOO

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

... always stay classy!

Posted by: TCompton | February 26, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Haha TCompton i know i know i just had to put it put there dumb people piss me off lol

Posted by: ......... | February 26, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Who would have guessed it - a BB member with an inflated sense of self-worth and no class.

Posted by: Shocker | February 26, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

If he can make the team on the basis of what he can do now, and not what he can potentially do, then fine. I don't have a problem with his past gesture to the fans. I have a problem with his lack of hustle, lack of focus, lack of fitness, etc. It's hard for me to believe there aren't players out there who could contribute more if given the chance.

Posted by: Still Skeptical | February 26, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse