Early-Morning Kickaround

*Houston reaches the SuperLiga championship game with a 2-0 victory over defending champion Pachuca at Estadio Robertson. Boswell and Ashe with the second-half goals. The Dynamo will face the winner of tonight's New England-Atlante semifinal (8 p.m. ET, Telefutura) next Tuesday night in Houston or Foxborough. Click here for the entertaining video highlights.

*Read my mid-week story about DCU's home woes, plus other notes.

*In Hong Kong, a USA-Ivory Coast Olympic tuneup this morning at 6:30 a.m. ET. Follow the action on MatchTracker on the USSF Web site. [UPDATE: 0-0 final. USA starters were Guzan; Wynne, Parkhurst, Edu, Orozco; Kljestan, Bradley, Adu, Holden; Altidore, McBride.]

*Rumblings out of L.A. (besides the earthquake that shook SoCal yesterday) are that MLS godfather Phil Anschutz is none too pleased with the Galaxy and that he and AEG boss Tim Leiweke have been discussing the club's grim situation.

*How about some samba soccer in the sand? You'll love the fourth goal:

By Steve Goff  |  July 30, 2008; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An MLS Poll
Next: Moreno Call-Up

Comments

Sounds like Lalas could be on his way out.

Posted by: Ron | July 30, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

I wish it were easier to watch the US match. I feel like I'm trying to watch a WNT game.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2008 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

USA Ivory coast update...
The announcers are really taking smack about freddy adu. Calling him overrated, has done nothing in Eruope, if he was any good Man U would have signed him...Harsh words.

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

0-0 20th minute

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

The announcer loves Marvell Wynne and thinks that he will be picked up by a bigger club in the near future...Now time to talk more trash about the USA.

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Shouldhave been a US PK. Adu was injured but he got up and is alright. 0-0 29th minute.

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Ivory coast pretty much dominating possession. SAVE! Brad Guzan.

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

we need more details from LA's Galaxy quake...

Posted by: Ben | July 30, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Now the announcer is saying Villareal paid too much for Altidore. This is a very one sided broadcast.

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Houston and DC play 46 matches this year as of right now. DC could play 47 before the playoffs with a win at New England.

Provided either team makes a run at MLS Cup, that will be 50 or 51 matches total in the calendar year.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 30, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

McBride and Altidore have 0 chemistry going at this point.

Posted by: Johnny | July 30, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

halftime 0-0
no real chances. I don't think the US had one shot in the first half.

Posted by: johnny | July 30, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

What do you really expect from Novak and Bradley? 0

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

You can watch it online without any crapy spyware here:

Posted by: USA vs Ivory Coast | July 30, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't really care to talk about that US match too much.

I hate muting matches. Luckily I couldn't watch the entire match on the Star Sports feed.

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

"Sounds like Lalas could be on his way out"

Good riddance.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

.com and Ashe both had nice goals, but Pachuca was robbed with a bogus offside call that took away a goal.

Then, in typical fashion, some players and members of the sidelene staff of Pachuca went after the referee and Houston players. Disgusting. Hopefully SUM and the referee (Campbell) do something about this and reports the players and coaches involved to the Mexican Federation.

I think Dom Kinnear tossed a couple of meathooks as well.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | July 30, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

nooo, they can't get rid of Lalas. Having him in place practically guarantees that LA will keep on sucking. That's a good thing.

Posted by: Glenn | July 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm shocked, shocked! that Brazil is good at sand soccer.

The U.S. will be treated better by foreign announcers when Obama is president. He makes everything better.

To the sound of Supertramp:

"Goodbye Lalas
It's been nice
Just don't take your
own advice..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 30, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

What?!?! AEG types are now, just learning that Alexis isn't good GM material?!?! 3 franchises later??? At least them last time out he helped make them a lot of money (of course, they spent a lot of money too).

That's freaking hilarious.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 30, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

isn't LA the most entertaining team in the leaugue right now? whether they are winning or losing. it's good they don't produce a dour defensive product and actually play in games with tons of goals especially since LA games are the best attended by those who don't go to many games. LA in it's current format is great for the league.

Posted by: mizage | July 30, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Any idea how the US lined up? Altidore playing off McBride? Adu attacking mid with Bradley behind? Edu as a centerback? etc etc... USSoccer.com YNT blog is terrible.

Posted by: Har | July 30, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Brazil's nothing. I would have stopped that shot.

Posted by: Misty May | July 30, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I liked Ashe's nonchalant goal "celebration." Onstand should be MOTM based on those highlights.

2009: Seattle Sounders FC are pleased to announce the appointment of American soccer icon Alexi Lalas as GM.

2010 Philadelphia FC are pleased to announce the appointment of American soccer icon Alexi Lalas as GM.

2011: Bienvenue a Montreal, Monsieur Lalas.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@I-270: Only AEG clubs are allowed to hire Lalas. I think that is somewhere in the MLS by-laws. Or maybe it is in the AEG Empolyee handbook. I'm not forsure...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 30, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

While I enjoy your musical lyrics (SuperTramp!), why do you feel the need to constantly introduce cheap-shot politics into your comments? Most of us come here to avoid the incessant noise from the looney left and radical right. Please stop.

Sincerely,
The Sane Middle Ground

Posted by: I Hate Politics | July 30, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

ALexi Lalas is the Isiah Thomas of MLS less the sexual harassment.

Posted by: Sam | July 30, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

But I thought everyone in DC loved politics? :)

It's funny how everyone outside of DC thinks that the citizens within ear shot of Jim Vance are more apt to follow politics.

Posted by: RK | July 30, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@ I Hate Politics | July 30, 2008 10:10 AM

Lighten up*. Chill out**. Stand down***.

* Does not imply an endorsement of McCain over Obama.
** Does not imply a denial of global warming.
*** Does not imply a lack of support for the military.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 30, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM

:-D

As long as LA keep that muppet Gullit, they'll stay terrible. So Lalas can go

Posted by: Kev | July 30, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough, Sane. I promise to keep my right-wing rantings to myself (and to my wife and kids, God bless them). Goff probably cringes every time he sees them, so I owe him that.

But the unfunny jokes and mischief will continue, if only for the reason that it makes I-270, Exit 1's humor that much more enjoyable.

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 30, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Since the game left me far from inspired to make comments I'll reply to I-270, Exit 1

Today is a great day to punch an eco terrorist in the neck on K Street or at the Farrgut West/North Metro Stops!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 30, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Check out Waibel kicking field goals, including from 55 and 63 yards. No pressure, but still . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey, how's everyone doing this morning. my post has absolutely NOTHING to do with the news that Goff reported on, I just wanted to know if his email address was posted on here or if anyone new it. I think I have a great idea for a relegation substitute to be used in the MLS, since there is no threat at the end of the season for bottom teams. So if anyone has that email just let me know, Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I know your idea:

The team with the least points has to hire Alexi Lalas as their GM.

Posted by: RK | July 30, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The more I see of Brian Mullan, the more impressed I am. One of the best players in the league. Clark looked like Fred on that run-and-gun combo with DeRo.

Houston is in really good form right now. That's why I voted for the Dynamo in Goss' poll. A tough start for them, but they're still the class of the league.

As for Lalas, I lost any respect for his valuation just before the US-Czech game in Germany when he declared that (given what he's done with that swiss cheese defense in front) Keller is the best goalie in the world. He wasn't even the best American goalie, but Friedel didn't want to play.

Having said that, for the umpteenth time, I vow that this is the last time I make this point -- unless some other team foolishly hires Lalas as their GM.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 30, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Give us more of the McSame!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@Fisch Fry - "Can DCU demand a refund from Houston? Give us back our Bobby and we give 'em back Wells?"

As has already been reported many times by Goff and others, DCU did not keep the receipt from the Boswell-Wells transaction, so a refund is out of the question. Our best bet at this point would be trying to re-gift Wells to someone else. ;)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh, jeez, that was a good line, Joe Doc. Regardless of his politics, Goff would probably chuckle, not cringe, but . . . whatever . . . you've risen above all that, and "I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment . . . when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

So bless you, and let the healing begin.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 30, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: | July 30, 2008 11:04 AM

sorry...that was me

Posted by: apqjr | July 30, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Goss? Pat Goss?

Posted by: RK | July 30, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

When I asked for Goff's email, here's what he sent me:

steve.goff@straighttothedeletedfolder.com

Hope that works!

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 30, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 30, 2008 10:32 AM
=================

Why stop there? Add insult to injury: smack him/her with a 2x4 from old growth Brazilian Rosewood from the rainforest or Alaskan Sitka from ANWR that was logged to make room from an oil derrick. The Rosewood is harder, but the Sitka resonates much better.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Interesting tour of RSL's new stadium

Looks like a pretty nice place. I wonder if we will ever get one...

Posted by: Glenn | July 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree about Mullan. I was a Quakes fan back then (and I guess I am now with vers 3.0) and really enjoyed his energy. He seemed to go through a rough patch with injuries when in SJ, but seems to be healthy now. The guy has some moves and some serious passion. One of the few US guys that loves and can take on defenders.

Posted by: EssEff | July 30, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

McCain hates soccer

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 30, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Not fair, AlecW81!

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 30, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Goss? Pat Goss?

Posted by: RK | July 30, 2008 11:10 AM
============

DC United needs to overhaul the transmission (Gallardo), so that it can deliver power to the engine (Emilio and Moreno) the old brand of spark plugs (Olsen), and consistent safety features (defense and keeper).

Posted by: Pat Goss | July 30, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Does Bobby Boswell still have his web site?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

You can probably use the intronet to find out.

Posted by: RK | July 30, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

BobbyBoswell does still have a website last time I checked. He seems to be spending less time messing with the computer and more time working on his futbal.
Today would be a great day to use a U lock to smash a bunch of Gas Guzzling Republican SUV's side mirrors off...
If it's gonna be that kind of party I might as well throw my KILL your Boss, smash a K street Lobbyist in the face, off the pigs, and death to all the jumpin' on the Bandwagon "going green" knobs who could only be troubled with saving the earth because they can barely afford to drive their stupid oversized vehicles rhetoric in the ring!!!
Peace, Love, Dope!~

Posted by: Dadryan | July 30, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

But Seriously: Steve Goff thank you for always bringing the goods and doing right by the Locals.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 30, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

BobbyBoswell.com was inoperable today. I lost the piece he did on Brian Carroll.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

BobbyBoswell.com was not operational today.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

and why was Bobby allowed to leave again??

Posted by: bobf | July 30, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

bobf, Bobby was allowed to leave because everyone here and on bigsoccer kept ranting about how bad a defender he was. That had to be it.

Posted by: Ron | July 30, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

if Anschutz is smart, he should fire Lalas *and* Leiweke. We all know about Lalas' incompetence but let's take a look at Leiweke, shall we?

First, he bungled the stadium deal w/Red Bull.

Second, he hasn't been successful getting a downtown stadium in Houston.

Third, his failure to get a stadium deal done in San Jose caused the Earthquakes to move to Houston in the first place.

Fourth, he bears primary responsibility for the atmosphere of intimidation and constant pressure that permeates the Galaxy. Just look at how AEG has emasculated Lalas.

If it's three-strikes-and-your-out, Leiweke should have been gone long ago.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | July 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, can you elaborate any further on AEG's displeasure with the Galaxy? Are they more upset at the team's on-field performance, or at the organization's bottom-line performance, etc?

Posted by: jrnail23 | July 30, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Curt Onalfo would be an ideal candidate for the LA Galaxy position. Anything to that?

Posted by: WFD | August 12, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse