SuperLiga's Money Issues

[updated with further union comment]

SuperLiga is a SuperMess.

This just in from the MLS Players Union:

"The players on the Houston Dynamo and New England Revolution have agreed in advance of tomorrow night's SuperLiga final that they will split evenly the bonus money at stake in the game. The players have made this decision to show their solidarity and in protest of the league's violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with respect to the negotiation of bonuses for this tournament."

According to the tournament format, players on an MLS team that wins the title are to share $150,000 and players on an MLS runner-up side split $100,000. So essentially the Houston and New England players have decided to pool the $250,000 and distribute it equally, regardless of the result. This move comes amid union discontent that only 15 percent of the advertised $1 million SuperLiga grand prize goes to the players -- a story the Insider brought to you last summer.

From a practical standpoint, will the players be able to get their hands on the pot of gold and follow through on their commitment? Who knows.

But consider this: With the money shared evenly between players from competing teams and nothing at stake in terms of advancement to a regional or world tournament, why would anyone bother to buy a ticket to this match? Clearly, the players would prefer to skip this game and turn their attention back to league play and, in the case of the Revs, next week's U.S. Open Cup semifinal at DCU. Will the players even bother to compete at a high level, or will they agree to take it easy and let the game go to penalty kicks?

"Our guys are professionals and they go out there to win, but clearly [the decision today] labels it what it is: an exhibition. That is what it has become," MLS union executive director Bob Foose said.

On MLS's prize money for the players, Foose said: "At the core of this, the collective bargaining agreement allows for the individual teams to negotiate with their own players and pay bonuses as they see fit. The league has stepped in and determined their own figures and they've told the teams not to negotiate with their own players."

I am awaiting comment from MLS.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2008; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly
Next: Afternoon Kickaround

Comments

Interesting protest and further reason (for me) not to watch this game. The players may be more concerned about avoiding injuries than scoring goals.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 4, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

remember last year, when SuperLiga was gripping, must-see TV? seems so long ago, doesn't it?

I'm not sure I'd watch this game if DCU was playing, (well, I do have Neil Diamond tickets) it's a freaking joke.

Posted by: northzax | August 4, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

good for them. I hope it leads to the demise of SuperLiga.

Glad that it helped to be a catalyst for the CCL, but now with the CCL it is extraneous.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we'll be seeing this tourney for too much longer with the advent of the CCL. The Superliga 2008 website wasn't even posted until a few days before game 1, showing a disregard for the product.

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 4, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

any idea if the coaches are in unity with the players? Would they put their respective reserve teams out there and let them split up the pie? Or are too many of the regular starters working for peanuts and also need the money?

Posted by: Glenn | August 4, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most the time
And the feeling is 'lay back'
Palm trees grow, and rents are low
But you know I keep thinkin' about
Making my way back

Posted by: David B. | August 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"I am," I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair
"I am," I cried
"I am," said I
And I am lost, and I can't even say why
Leavin' me lonely still

Posted by: Players in SuperLiga finals | August 4, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The game's at Foxborough, right? Doesn't that mean that nobody would show up for this game anyway?

Posted by: The AMT | August 4, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I guess I would have to call myself glass half empty most of the time.

But the MLS, in it's teenage years, is experiencing growing pains and the reinvestment in the product is not occurring at the rate I was hoping it would at this point.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | August 4, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

SuperLiga, every four years, during the World Cup.

Posted by: RK | August 4, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I said last year that the Super (and I use that term very loosly)Liga is a waste. This year was a complete success for United because we did not advance which gave us time to lick our wounds.

Posted by: Harpo #9 | August 4, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

What's SuperLiga again? I vaguely recall something about ensuring the Galaxy could compete for a trophy last season, but since then, I don't remember much.

If I were the coaches, I'd throw out a B team. Esepcially if I were New England. Rest the starters and get the reserves experience.

Posted by: TCompton | August 4, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Well done to the players for working this out. Time for SuperLiga to go.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 4, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

SuperLiga is a waste of time. Mexican clubs are in pre-season, and MLS clubs are right smack in the middle of the season.

Its nothing more than another attempt by greedy soccer marketers to make more $ for themselves in detriment to the quality of play in the tournament and in other tournaments.

Its a useless waste of time.

Posted by: Vic | August 4, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@ AK Great suggestion playing Super (and I use that term very loosly) Liga during the World Cup. One further suggestion: Play the final during the Super Bowl to assure further interest. ; )

Posted by: Harpo #9 | August 4, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Let the reserves play it out

Posted by: LOW | August 4, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Who is keeping the rest of the money? The suits in NY?

Why doesn't anyone press Mayor Fenty for land for a stadium? If I were DC United, they would have a hard time getting rent out of me. They lowered services (mainly food) and they don't upkeep really well.

I will write to anyone that might be interested in getting us land for a stadium. Anyone else interested?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 4, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I would guess the players will put their best into it when they get to the field, but the advent of the CCL, the prize money issue issue, and the fact that two MLS teams are in the final make this even less of an event the USOC final.

Posted by: h4 | August 4, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I hope they beat the crap out of each other, go to OT and penalties.

Whatever helps DC win next week.

Oh yeah...Superliga is a joke. I'm fairly anti-union...but this ones pretty hard to argue against.

The players are doing the right thing.

Posted by: Matt Y | August 4, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

money talks
but it can't sing and dance
and it can't walk
if we only get a measley 15
then we'd much rather be
playin' the USOC, babe!

Posted by: grotus | August 4, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Where does the million bucks come from?

Anyway, SL is a straightforward marketing ploy for MLS to appeal to Hispanics in the USA. Like many marketing schemes, it has detracted from the quality of the core product, which is league play. If MLS increases the quality if its core product the marketing success should follow.

A secondary negative impact is the result of SL on the general US sports fan, if any of them were watching, which is doubtful. MLS seems to have given up on marketing to anyone other than kids, Hispanics and the cult of US soccer faithful. General US sports fan will not be attracted to what the Mexican teams brought to SuperLiga, IMO.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 4, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@ grotus
:-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 4, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

well, if MLS is serious about SuperLiga, they will change their stance by tonight. If not, it's a shame and an insult to all the fans who sat and watched all of the games leading up to this hoping that the Final would be more than a kickabout. Somehow I feel like MLS will have to listen to the players in order to save their tourny...knowing that if they don't they have to deal with millions in lost revenue and a death blow to their tourney's chances next season.

Posted by: Ben | August 4, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy the rest of this and all of next season my friends...

It'll be strike time in 2010.

Won't that suck?

Posted by: Mike in LA | August 4, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed both SuperLiga editions.

With the remodeled CONOCACAF Champions Cup now becoming the CONCACAF Champions League there is no need for the SuperLiga IMO.

MLS teams still can play international games vs Mexican teams among others.

Posted by: Ben | August 4, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to the players for standing up for themselves.

Posted by: anotherbodymurdered | August 4, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

-----
Where does the million bucks come from?
-----

One would assume that the majority of the "prize money" comes from Univision/TeleFutura by way of their broadcast rights fee fro MLS and the SuperLiga.

I like SuperLiga, and clearly this tournament would have benefited from two teams not in the same league advancing to the final.

SuperLiga needs to be reformatted (or perhaps moved to a different part of the year) to make it more attractive to fans.

Posted by: too much soccer? | August 4, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd say both teams should dress their lowest-paid players for the match.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I demand that MLS or DC United DO NOT include SuperLiga tickets to our season tickets next year. First round of CONCACAF Champions League home games should be included in the season tickets NOT superliga.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 4, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'd say both teams should dress their lowest-paid players for the match.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 4, 2008 11:44 AM
=============================================

Jeremy Olsen pick up the white courtesy phone!

Posted by: JSF | August 4, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Why not both, arlington4united?

Posted by: sitruc | August 4, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear a good gesture by the players.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 4, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this worthless tournament will just go away. It has been, and will be a complete waste. It is nothing more than a silly marketing scheme in an attempt to generate more revenue. Its useless, worthless, and probably somewhat detrimental to the MLS sides who are already busy with the middle of their season, not to mention those clubs also competing in the now weighted (CCL berth) U.S. Open Cup.

Superliga cannot go die in a fire fast enough for me! =o)

Posted by: KPJ4DCU | August 4, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Superliga intended to award the winner entry into the Copa Liberatdores, like
what InterLiga ? Or were they going to open up InterLiga to MLS teams? I thought they
were organized by the same people, SUM.

Posted by: FarAwayFred | August 4, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

So... it's not like they hand wads of $20s to every player after the game. I would assume the money goes to their employer, the League, who then takes out taxes and gives them whatever is left after taxes. So basically Matt Reis is going to send Pat Onstad a check to make up the difference after the game? Have a nice tax audit next April, fellas.

Posted by: AM | August 4, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"I demand that MLS or DC United DO NOT include SuperLiga tickets to our season tickets next year."

Why do assume DCU will qualify for any international play?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 4, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Why do assume DCU will qualify for any international play?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 4, 2008 12:17 PM

-------------------------------------------
Cause they allways have in the past and the present and our near future too.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 4, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Who gets the $1 million? The suits in NY?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 4, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AM | August 4, 2008 12:10 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You realize that as long as you make a note of it and accept the double taxation, anyone can give anyone else as big a gift as they like, right?

So yeah, the winners are going to have an extra thousand bucks of taxes max. Seems well worth it on what amounts to found money.

Posted by: Will | August 4, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@Will - then Houston would be better off winning this tournament as there is no state income tax in Texas.

I think we are all just lucky the MLSPU did not say both teams were getting on the bus and driving to Foxwoods after the game and putting the prize money on black.

Posted by: AM | August 4, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

From the tax side of things, it's not a big issue. Whichever side wins, the winner players will give a portion to their booty to the losing team's players. Since individuals are allowed to give a gift of up to $12,000 (tax free) to any one individual, they can sort out the money situation pretty easily.

As for the winner of SuperLiga, I believe they get invited to the Galaxy's other potential trophy event, the Pan-Pacific Cup. Last season, Pachuca supposedly declined to attend, "allowing" the Galaxy to go in their place.

As for a strike in '10. I don't think it's likely. While the dollars clearly are an issue for the players, the owners (and sponsors) have much more at stake than the players do. They'll come to an agreement, with concessions on both sides. After all, how can the Pope fail?

Posted by: TCompton | August 4, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

This is the first real shot in the upcoming war between the union and the league.

Hopefully they can pull back from the brink, but the union has officially turned the convoy in that direction and the owners haven't stopped them.

Let's hope we have to worry about SuperLiga or anything else in 2010.

Posted by: Mark M | August 4, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Juan: while I agree that such an assumption is premature, it's an easy assumption to make, because we do qualify quite frequently. I understand that's a hard concept for you to grasp.

Posted by: Bootsy | August 4, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Like the tournament, think it has a place. Put the 4 top MLS teams that don't qualify for the Champions League in it. More international competition for MLS teams is a good thing. The Mexican teams left unhappy this year. Perfect setup for added rivalry factor next year.
Duh, of course it is a reason to raise more revenue for the league. So is every game.

Posted by: CD | August 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually the union started the battle with the owners when they released salary information a couple of years ago.

Posted by: CD | August 4, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

come on guys our boy is losing in the GOTW

Thank you for voting. Here are your Sierra Mist Goal of the Week nominees. Amado Guevara, Toronto 10%
Jaime Moreno, DC 23%
Brad Davis, Houston 33%
Patrick Nyarko, Chicago 27%
Arturo Alvarez, San Jose 6%

Posted by: just dropping by | August 4, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

And so it begins...

For those who wanted a preview of the next CBA, here you have it. Now in cinema like fashion, get ready to buy your ticket to the biggest thing happening next summer. I hope both sides come to realize the value in each other and fashion their compromises with mutual respect. All you need is for one side to go all "world domination" like for bad things like a strike to become a reality. This league is too young to take on a strike. In any case, some things simply MUST be worked out.

Cap size, minimum salaries and a re-work on the DP cap hit-value are key for me. I'll take roster size as a close second to my biggies. If MLS wants its teams to compete and win international tourneys then equip them to do so! When you watch a typical MLS vs. Mexican opposition match the game literraly changes when the subs come start to enter the frey. I am not saying we would win all the time but if we had quality replacing quality, I am more than certain that we would win more than we lose to those teams. GIVE US FREAKIN' DEPTH!!

As far as SuperLiga goes, I don't think it's as worthless as we are all making it out to be (ask Pachuca and Atlante). It is a trophy against a regional rival, it does stand for something (a small somthing? Yes, but something nonetheless). That said, it does not work well for me scheduling wise. There is just too much fixture congestion and from an MLS standpoint it's just downright unfair. You say you want parity via a draft and a cap but also ask a few teams to play way more games than the rest of the league? Opening up the chance for injury? In any case with the CCL now ready to roll, I won't mind seeing SL disappear. However, will SL disappear as soon as we would like it? Haven't MLS and FMF already cashed Univison's check? Oooooh.

Posted by: Kosh | August 4, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I've already bought my ticket from Atlanta to go see the revs in the Final. Do I think either team will tank the match because the payout is the same - nope. Silverware is silverware - and both teams want it.

Posted by: Brock | August 4, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The League made a bold and poorly-calculated decision LAST YEAR when it issued a ruling that the SuperLiga payout would be only $150,000. Part of the problem is also that winning MLS Cup results in such a small team bonus ($165,000). Amongst the litany of talking points on which the Union is likely to debate the league (which are too numerous to list here), I imagine that the Union Officials will use SuperLiga as a prime Exhibit of the players being paid an MLS salary to play non-MLS games without additional compensation outside of the MLS wage/bonus structure.

I think the Union needs to be realistic in their negotiations next year. MLS isn't the Premiership. It's not printing money or anything. I wish the League wouldn't shoot itself in the foot with these ridiculous decisions.

Wouldn't it be great if, in the next CBA, the League and the Union agreed to some sort of Salary Cap relief provision for teams that draft well and want to keep those players? Reward the teams that draft well by allowing them to reward the US player pool that performs well.

Posted by: DWE4 | August 4, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The inequity of the money distribution is bad. Why does NY get to take $2 mil of our salary cap just to fight the union each season.

I can remember a time when Kevin Payne housed most of our young bachelors in his house because individually, they made so little money, they could not afford DC/VA/MD rents. Nothing seems to have changed since the turn of the century. The players are supposed to give their all for the love of the sport but the pay is way out of line. Why does Generation Addidas have a salary that gives Quavis Kirk about $100K a year? He barely subs and has pretty much been that way. I have nothing against him at all. I think they should revamp the whole salary thing.

We didn't loose Nick because we needed a new goalie - we lost him because of his salary. We have been that way since year 2 of the league.

While I am on it, how did LA get to pull the deals they did for Beckham, Gullit, and then get Ruiz (who has a high salary) back? Where is this money coming from. I can't think of a sponsor who would channel money into that situation. Is anyone going to take Ruiz or is he out of here? I can't imagine the owner putting up with the lack-luster team LA is fielding. Where is the new Argentine defender they got? I am interested if anyone knows.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

This is truly an historic occasion.

Posted by: Commissioner Garber | August 4, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow-i applaud the solidarity of the players. These are going to be really tough negotiations. Viva la union!!

Posted by: pigman sweet | August 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington4united | August 4, 2008 11:56 AM
----------------------------------------
There is a good chance you won't have to worry about tickets to either competition.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Super Liga is great pre season training for Mexican clubs perhaps moving it to March would better serve MLS; otherwise time to sh*tcan the experiment

Posted by: glove | August 4, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I applaud the Revs and Dynamo splitting the prize money. I also think that this might be the end of the SuperLiga tournament, unfortunately.

The fact that MLS lied about the grand prize being $1M is a total embarassment. MLS will either have to put its own clubs on the same footing as the Mexican clubs when it comes to prize money (which it won't, considering how anal MLS is about raising the salary cap) or shut the tournament down.

The FMF probably would go along w/shutting the tournament down. After all, its teams don't need the extra aggravation (they're also starting league play) and the extra risk of injuries.

Let's be honest: The whole idea of a $1M grand prize was to get the FMF interested; I wouldn't be surprised if the FMF got a cut when Pachuca won last year. Why should the FMF or Mexico's first division do anything to help MLS in an altruistic fashion?

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | August 4, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brock

You better get a refund, since the Silverbacks were eliminated rounds ago...

Posted by: RK | August 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Some answers:

1. Beckham came to the Galaxy because AEG President Tim Leiweke knows Beckham's agent very well. Both are involved in entertainment promotion and they discussed the idea informally before AEG made a formal approach. That's why the league devised the "Beckham rule" for DPs.

2. Gullit also came, I believe, through 19 Productions, which helps promote Beckham.

3. Who would want Ruiz now? He's out of shape and costs too much.

4. The new Argentine defender, Dominguez, made some ghastly errors in the 4-0 rout at Dallas and was benched at San Jose.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | August 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Already benched? Ouch. There's another sign that the FO and coach don't see eye-to-eye.

Posted by: RK | August 4, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It'll be strike time in 2010.

Won't that suck?

Posted by: Mike in LA

I will suck for the league and all of its fans. Imagine the mockery from such outlets as ESPN.....
"A sport that nobody cares about is striking?? Good!! Maybe the league wil fold up and go away like most Americans want. Now back to the Brett Favre retirement situation, year six."
The league does seem to be taking advantage of its players (or the actual product). I always thought this would happen for the formative years. We are almost at the end of the formative years though.
It is close to time to become a REAL league. None of this draft crappola. No parity. No allocations for the lowest ranked team. Your team sucks? Too bad - spend a little money and it won't.
There are a lot of changes coming. It may take 10 years or so but, SuperLiga may be the impetus to begin the changes and finally grow up into what most American fans seem to want.

Posted by: marksman | August 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Why do assume DCU will qualify for any international play?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 4, 2008 12:17 PM

You just expect good things from great teams. United is just one of those teams like the Yankees or Steelers or Canadians that you just expect them to be in the playoffs and other tourneys all the time.

It's not so much a matter of if we qualify more of when will those games be played?

Posted by: Matthai | August 4, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who have doubts over United winning trophis and getting into international play, mark my word. United will top REV next Tuesday and crush ULS1 and win the US Open. That's the champions league birth right there. And then wait and see for snaping up MLS Cup.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 4, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

My thought: There's no need to await comment from MLS. It ain't coming.

Posted by: Beloved Cartoon Mouse | August 4, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Big fan of Superliga play. I hope it continues... MLS First Division and MLS should combine to form one big soccer league ... until that/if that ever happens, Superliga play is a must!

MLS and players must resolve CBA issues now.

Posted by: 12th man | August 4, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

>MLS First Division and MLS

Huh?

Posted by: RK | August 4, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

DWE4 wrote: The requirement--no, the EXPECTATION--that a regular starter on Houston/DC/New England earning $30-40k per year (and there are a lot) is playing matches in USOC, Copa Sudamerica, Champions Cup/League, SuperLiga, etc., while being paid at the same salary as if he were playing for another MLS franchise that doesn't qualify for these additional competitions is ridiculous.

It should be noted that from the point of a salary cap league trying to avoid stagnation at the top of the table the above argument is 100% reasonable. If players on winning teams received significantly better $s per season on the same base contract, why would players want to play for the non-contenders unless they offered higher salaries to offset the lower expected 'bonus' income. That is the logic (for better or worse) that has led MLS to deliberately avoid paying much in the way of bonus money for successful teams.

I'm not saying the players, in some abstract sense, shouldn't be getting a much higher % but the idea that it should go just to the players on the winning team isn't as clear cut as people are suggesting.

Posted by: Badger | August 4, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I second the "Huh?" If one of the MLSs is Mexican Soccer League, then the post makes even less sense to argue for a Superliga within one combined league.

One second thought, MLS = Makes Little Sense (thanks Charlie Janeway).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 4, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

ok, I'll post an upside:

Some of the players make very little money ~ 30 - 50K. So a 5k pay out is a huge bonus actually.

Posted by: anon | August 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I love to see the MLS teams battle the Mexican First Division, DC United has been unable to get results against Mexican teams, especially in Mexico. If DC wants to prove itself beyond MLS than our closest neighbors give us that chance, and perhaps a chance at a bid to the Copa Sudamericana.

Posted by: Hotlanta | August 4, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

FSC have said the "commish"is arguing that the clubs are at financial risk because of the flights, hotels, meals,etc...needed to show up to these fixtures, but what about the players who risk injury while playing this tournement-not to mention the injury risk from the brawls afterwords, j/k. 5,000 bucks doesnt seem worth it.obviously i have no inside information, but the players seem very unhappy with the entire financial structure of the mls and i worry that the union are laying the ground work for a future strike? the mls players should try and "stick it to the man," and ill just continue to follow european football.

Posted by: stander | August 6, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Look at me. I'm learning html

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Money issues aside I was at he Game tuesday and it was one of the best played games I've seen. Both teams gave it all they had there was no backing down on either side, if nothing else pride was at stake. I'm sure all of the fans at the game felt as though they saw one of the best games this year much better tha thte games with Mexico who had to resort to fighting at the end.

Posted by: fan | August 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse