Mr. Vader Goes to Washington

If you haven't yet, feel free to take a moment to vote in this online survey, located in our "Star Wars" special section. The question: What's your favorite "Star Wars" quote? With 1618 votes counted, there's a tie for first place between two memorable Darth Vader statements: "Luke, I am your father" and "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

I've also just launched a new survey that asks the provocative question: What is the best contribution to American pop culture, courtesy of the "Star Wars" franchise? I'm torn, myself, but part of me wants to vote for the song "Ewok Celebration." After all, a couple of Meco fans can't be wrong.

Meanwhile, a helpful reader who runs this blog reminded me that the architecture of Washington's National Cathedral contains a hidden replica of Darth Vader's head. Why would the root of all galactic evil be part of a sacred religious facility? The Cathedral's Web site explains. Apparently many fans recently started to pray before the head of mighty Lord Vader in the hope that he will hear their pleas and make "Revenge of the Sith" a much better movie than "Attack of the Clones." All right, that last part I just made up. But if you want to visit the hallowed site in Northwest Washington and say a few "Amens," it probably wouldn't hurt.

--Jen

By washingtonpost.com |  May 16, 2005; 3:40 PM ET  | Category:  Misc.
Previous: More Reviews Come In | Next: Fisher Photos, Lame Leia Questions

Comments

How could the POST miss the most famous of all Star Wars quotes; "May the Force be with you."

Posted by: bill | May 16, 2005 04:39 PM

The famous line is NOT "Luke, I am your father." It's "No, I am your father." Why is it ALWAYS incorrectly quoted?

Posted by: bostonpete | May 16, 2005 05:50 PM

And what about Yoda's greatest hit? "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."

Posted by: lmnop | May 16, 2005 09:09 PM

Also - the most quoted line in all the movies - "I've got a bad feeling about this..." :)

Posted by: amwhite | May 17, 2005 08:08 AM

My favorite quote is by Peter Cushing's character in the first Star Wars, after he blows up the planet despite Leia's capitulation: "You're far too trusting."

Posted by: Albert | May 17, 2005 09:38 AM

Yeah, Vader never says "Luke, I am your father."

Vader: "Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father."

Luke: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him."

Vader: "No, I am your father."

Luke: "Nooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Posted by: James | May 17, 2005 10:40 AM

"Flying through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy" - Han Solo to Luke

Posted by: sid | May 17, 2005 10:54 AM

Luke (upon seeing tiny Yoda raising his X-wing using only the Force): "I...I don't believe it."

Yoda: "-That- is why you fail."

Posted by: CBG | May 17, 2005 02:14 PM

You failed to include :"I'd rather kiss a wookey" and "I think that I can arrange that" interchange between Princess Leia and Han Solo

Posted by: pete | May 17, 2005 02:20 PM

My favorite Vader quotes were: (I had to pop in the DVD to get them right)

"Captain Piet, make ready to deploy our troops... (the previous admiral expires) you are in command now -Admiral- Piet."

And:

"Apology Accepted."

Posted by: Jeff | May 17, 2005 07:12 PM

saw sith yesterday and it rocked- Yoda had a quote something like "Train yourself, you must, to lose everything which you have fear of losing". Can anyone remember exactly what it was?

Posted by: Max | May 23, 2005 08:56 AM

"he's as clmsy as he is stupid"-darth vader,

Posted by: steve | May 24, 2005 05:49 PM

an other quote

Darth Vader: "Impresive, most impresive".
Darth Vader: "You are unwise to lower your defenses."

Luke: "ive lost R2!!"

Posted by: Darth Reor | May 27, 2005 07:05 PM

I agree with the: 'appoligies accepted captain needa'

it's supppperrrr

Posted by: Jeroen | June 1, 2005 01:23 PM

the best was in episode 4 (I think) When Luke and C3P0 are riding in some flying thing at the beginning and Luke goes "C3PO-Enable the imperial boosters!!!" very energeticly but they don't actually go any faster. Haha, that little bit just makes me laugh.

When I heard about the Darth Vader misquote I have to say, I was quite disappointed. It just doesn't have the same ferocity. lol

Posted by: chizzle. | June 10, 2005 04:20 AM

Luke I am your father or No, I am your father... I laugh every time I see some marks whining about the misquote...

Posted by: ewecestmoi | July 8, 2005 07:05 AM

episode 3
anakin: if you arent with me you are my enemy
obiwan: then i will do what i must
anakin: you will try

Posted by: anakin | August 26, 2005 10:39 AM

my favorite quote is by Vader "If you only knew the power of the Darkside"

Posted by: Havik | April 6, 2006 03:41 AM