D.C. bag tax update: How are you liking the new system?

Has the bag tax changed your shopping? Do you find yourself walking out of grocery stores with hands full of apples? Have you carried an unbagged sandwich from the shop to your office? Are your pockets full of plastic bags?

I'm eager to hear from D.C. shoppers who have anything to report from new world of the nickel bag tax. If that's you, please send a note to Steve Hendrix at hendrixs@washpost.com or comment on the board here on the big blog....

By Steve Hendrix  | January 19, 2010; 9:31 AM ET
Categories:  Build-A-Story
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pick of the Day: Clean Rite Laundromat
Next: Surprises from a home video or photo

Comments

I stopped getting plastic bags for sandwiches at work. I end up carrying many fewer bags home and I haven't had to recycle the bags yet. Right now I love the system because there's much less waste than before. I don't see any bags around my office and everyone who goes out comes back carrying a sandwich by hand with no bag. I consider it a win/win. Less office waste and less waste outside. I have only seen one person buy a plastic bag since the tax went into effect.

Posted by: bbcrock | January 19, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm not opposed to a bag tax, however I think out of the gate with .05 for each bag is grossly excessive, especially when we as citizens have no say in it. I'd rather they put this money into the school system, maybe creating some after school programs or mentoring programs to enrich the lives of DC youth. Idle hands are the devil's handiwork.

Posted by: claudiahowardfha | January 19, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm VERY happy to see DC implement the bag tax. I live in VA but work in the District. I brough a re-usable bag to keep in my office to use when I grab lunch or run errands. I hope that Virginia will follow suit in the very near future. If anything I'd like to see DC (and VA) go further on this subject & mandate that all plastic shopping bags be biodegradable.

Posted by: DCwaryman | January 19, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I think that it is a great law and as a resident of DC I'm happy the elected officials I voted for supported it. For me, its meant not getting that unnecessary bag at lunch and trying to remember to bring my reusable bags with me when I go shopping. In all, I'd say that even having had to pay the 5 cent fee a few times, its worth it to clean up our rivers and reduce our waste. Plus, its only 5 cents... which in the grand scheme of things really isn't that high a price to pay.

Posted by: rawk | January 19, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Great idea! I was opposed at first at now I notice something missing along the streets and sidewalks and on front lawns..no plastic bags blowing in the wind up and down the streets of DC. Now it's just trash and broken bottles on the sidewalks and in the streets. I use the recycle bags or carry items in my hands if I forget and leave the bags in the car.

Posted by: peace4all2 | January 20, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse