Racing or racist: Does Facebook reveal Va. driver's true colors?

The saga of the Virginia license plate that is either a white supremacist message or a tribute to NASCAR continues ...

truck[1].jpg

After I wrote a story last Thursday about local motorists and a Muslim group complaining about a license plate on a Chantilly man's pick-up truck, the driver of the truck, Douglas Story, 46, sent me an email arguing that the license plate -- 14CV88 -- had nothing to do with racism, but rather his love of NASCAR.

The numbers 14 and 88 referred to his two favorite NASCAR drivers, he said, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr. The number 14 did not refer, as others had complained, to the late white supremacist David Lane's 14-word motto: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for our white children.” Nor, Story said, did the number 88 refer, as the complainants argued, to "Heil Hitler" (H is the eighth letter of the alphabet).

“Prior to this incident, I’d never even heard of David Lane,” Story told me Thursday. Lane founded the white supremacist group The Order and was sentenced to 190 years in prison on racketeering and civil rights violations stemming from the murder of Denver radio talk show host Alan Berg.

Story's explanation appeared in Thursday's Post.

And now, as the late Paul Harvey would say, for the rest of the story.

Readers have been emailing me with links to Story's Facebook profile and comments he's left on some Facebook pages.

According to Story's profile, his favorite book is by David Duke. He likes to listen to White Power Metal. Under his Contact Info, he links to the New Saxons website, which advertises itself as "An online community for whites by whites." A web banner for the National Socialist Movement emblazoned with a Nazi swastika marches across the top of the page.

Here is one of Story's posts on Facebook's "Band of Heroes" gaming page:

No folks, the "Holocaust" is really the Gentiles' jew masters pulling the wool over our eyes, the "holocaust", or rather, the HOLOHOAX is just that, A HOAX!!! Never happened, and I refuse to fight in this game "Band of Heroes" for the interests of jews (Germany NEVER attacked the US, so we had NO business in the European theater of Operations).

I will, however, fight those sneaky, Pearl Harbor bombing jap bastards (like my Granddaddy did in the Philippines).

Arguing that his license plate was purely about NASCAR and had nothing to do with race, Story told me that he had a Jewish sister-in-law and had attended his niece's bat mitzvah. He denied being anti-Semitic.

But here's how he describes himself on Facebook:

"100% WHITE MAN, 100% ARYAN, 100% PRO-LIFE (Children are innocent), 100% PRO DEATH PENALTY (Criminal Scum aren't innocent).
Over the past 28 years; I, like David Duke, have had an Awakening."

Note to self: In these days of social media, Twitter and personal oversharing on the web, always check Facebook...

When I called Story to ask about the Facebook page, he continued to maintain that his license plate message had nothing to with racism. He stuck by his NASCAR story. "Southern white men. Southern white sport. What else needs to be said?" he said.

Story acknowledged that he thinks of himself as 100 percent Aryan. "Aryan is a Sanskrit word that means noble," he said, "no matter what spin the liberal media tries to put on it as being a racist, hate word."

He said he is an admirer of David Duke, who, he said was "reamed by the media because of his Klan affiliations." "I am a white nationalist," Story said. "I am in favor of the whites having their own homeland." When I asked him where that homeland would be, he said he didn't know. "The Pacific Northwest maybe. Alaska. Denmark. Greenland. Iceland."

I asked if he really thought that the Holocaust was a hoax. "I don't know what to think," he said.

I also called Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, who had sent the Virginia DMV a letter complaining about the plate last week.

(DMV had already voted to revoke Story's license plate before receiving CAIR's letter last week, said DMV spokesman Melanie Stokes, because it had already received a number of complaints.

Though Story had been driving around with his 14 CV 88 license plate for more than a year, Stokes said complaints only started arriving in recent weeks. In February, Story had added a mural of the burning World Trade Center towers and an anti-Islamic bumper sticker to the tailgate of his Ford, he said, to shake people up. "It seems like people have forgotten about the terrorist attacks on 9/11," he had told me on the phone. "And I wanted to remind them.")

"We'd like to extend an invitation for him to come to CAIR and meet with regular Muslims to clear up some of his misperceptions about Islam," Hooper said. "And because he clearly also has misperceptions about people of other colors and our staff is very diverse, we may be able to clear up some of those as well."

Story said he wasn't interested.

"I just don't have the time," he said. "I come home from work, get something to eat, maybe a little computer, take a shower, go to sleep and get up and do it all over again."

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Brigid Schulte  | April 30, 2010; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  Journalism , More on the story  | Tags:  14 CV 88, Dale Earnhardt Jr, David Lane, Douglas Story, Ibrahim Hooper, Sons of Confederate Veterans, Tony Stewart, Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, White supremacy, World Trade Center, license plate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Story pick: Do you speak Icelandic?
Next: Story pick: An unsympathetic subject

Comments

Ha! Called out. Beautiful. What a tool. Should have asked if he was a member of the Tea Party as well.

Posted by: blaketus | April 30, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Of course he doesn't have the time to expand his social and ethical views of the world. Of course he doesn't have the time to educate himself or to challenge his inane and ignorant beliefs. He's very happy to continue with his hate-filled and ignorant life. I mean, it's pretty clear that his license plate has nothing to do with NASCAR considering these drivers didn't change their numbers until AFTER the license plate was issued, THREE YEARS after it was issued, and he's still claiming it has something to do with NASCAR numbers? Gimme a break, rot in hell you backwards scum.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 30, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not Muslim and am already a friend of Islam but will offer to take Story's place at CAIR if there are snacks.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | April 30, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

One of his posts from the whitenationalist forum

Oh, it most definitely has a lot to do with people nowadays, my own little brother, who has two kids of his own, can't be bothered to be worried about things like White Nationalism. He thinks Whites and neeegroes are cousins that are just different colors, he doesn't want that ever so vile "N" word used around his precious children (I tolerate this because he fixes my truck for the cost of parts); and then we come to my older brother, he went and married a jewess some 18 years ago (I wasn't aware then, so I couldn't have stopped him), then 15 years ago, it gave birth to a little jewess, that is so "into" it's "jewishness" that it invited me to it's batmitzvah.
I went, to keep peace in the family (that and he fixes my computer free of charge).

Posted by: DownWithTheShip | April 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

RE: "Should have asked if he was a member of the Tea Party as well. "

Doesn't that go without saying?

Posted by: jeremyisett | April 30, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

One of his posts from the whitenationalist forum

Posted by: DownWithTheShip | April 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

haha wow, what a scum bag. I hope his family reads this. "Hey, can you help me out with stuff for free even though I secretly hate you with all of my heart?"

Where is Kookynutty when you need him? I'm sure he'd love to back Mr. Story and come up with some ludicrous lawsuit claiming this is unconstitutional.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 30, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Actually Bigfoot -- and I am by no means defending this guy -- but he did not have those plates issued in 2005. He had the plates in question issued March of 2009, after both Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt changed their respective numbers.

"Last week, the DMV erroneously told The Post that Story's license plates were issued in 2005. But after I asked Stokes to double-check, she said this week that Story's Sons of Confederate Veterans plates were issued in March of 2009.

The dates were relevant because Tony Stewart only began driving car No. 14 in February 2009; earlier, he drove car No. 20. Earnhardt changed from car #8 to #88 in 2008."

But I'll let everyone come to their own conclusions ;-)

(although, I'm sure we all know what his true intent is...)

Posted by: cduffrun | April 30, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Idiot.

Posted by: jckdoors | April 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

This is pretty sad but people are always going to be hateful scumbags, If he is soo for white supremacy why not speak up and say yeah thats what it means... AND WHAT! you have a right to be a racist a-hole. I like the idea that he has, pick a cold island like greenland take all of your arian skinhead buddies to a reclusive area and GO.
Enjoy the inbreeding.

Posted by: anotherkasumi | April 30, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

But I'll let everyone come to their own conclusions ;-)

(although, I'm sure we all know what his true intent is...)

Posted by: cduffrun | April 30, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Ah, my misinterpretation. OK, so they changed their numbers before he was issued the plate. Still, heaps of evidence on his FB page...whatever, I just hope I never see that effing truck.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 30, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 30, 2010 1:15 PM

Ditto.

Posted by: cduffrun | April 30, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Walks like a bigot. Talks like a bigot. Looks like a bigot. Must be a ...bigot.

Posted by: stilldoin | April 30, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Leave him alone. Who are we to judge? He's entitled to his beliefs. He's not causing me any harm. And, I hope he has a good lawyer looking at WaPo for harrassing him.

Posted by: rpcv84 | April 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

How long does it take to get a personalized plate is the question? When did her apply for this special plate?

He's been outed.

Posted by: rlj1 | April 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Oops - he not her.

Posted by: rlj1 | April 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

it's interesting how far he is willing to go with his hate speech when its just online on a hate website, or on his facebook. but when reality and the press come knocking, he's "just a nascar fan".
what a coward and a fool. and these are the kind of people mcdonell is listening to when he does things like confederate history month.
It's also funny how quick he was to peel the painting off his truck so he could keep his lazy man handicapped parking space at work.

Posted by: MarilynManson | April 30, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Would have never guessed that about the licence plate!!

Posted by: roxn | April 30, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Post did everyone a disfavor by NOT doing a thorough initial report on the situation.

Posted by: muawiyah | April 30, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: muawiyah | April 30, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

stilldoin ~ guy's a dumptruck driver.

Some of them have beliefs.

No doubt that comes a surprise to you, but we are not talking to a major opinion leader ~ not even in the sort of organizations whose boards he posts on.

On the other hand, our major opinion leader in the Washington DC area, the Washington Post, campaigned just a few years ago against the mother of one of the candidates (George Allen) because, it turns out, she'd been a Jew during WWII and, as inferred by numerous WashPost reports on her, she'd hidden that fact from the public.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised to see the Post carrying a negative story about someone who hates Jews ~ just like they do!

Posted by: muawiyah | April 30, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

But...but...but...Newsbusters is sticking to the NASCAR story..

Tells you all you need to know about newsbusters and Douglas Story, I guess.

Posted by: Stunned2much | May 1, 2010 3:52 AM | Report abuse

From Watergate to Tailgategate. WaPo doesn't investigate the powerful but the people. Anyone who doesn't accept the orthodoxies of race replacement of whites is exposed.

This is courageous high risk investigative journalism, looking at a license plate in plain view. WaPo wants a Pulitzer Prize for 14CV88Gate. Licenseplategate the new era of WaPo investigative journalism.

Posted by: OldAtlantic | May 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

ALSO, before abandoning this tale of woe ~ we leave unanswered the status of the Doug Story in Southside who posts regularly in neo-Nazi sites vis a vis the status of the Doug Story in Northern Virginia who seems to post in OTHER neo-Nazi sites.

Is this the same man, or two men? Or, could it be all 6 men by that name in this area?

This is hardly a casual issue ~ in fact, knowing that one of them in NOVA actually drives dumptrucks for the state I think it would be a real public service to find out that this is but one man who drives state dumptrucks from Dulles to Suffolk?

Think about that a moment ~ why would you run a dumptruck on that circuit?

If you were running crushed rock certainly you can get it far closer to the site!

Could be a Pulitzer in answering that question.

Posted by: muawiyah | May 1, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

This guy is nothing more then a racist, POS.

He is a sick individual who is entitled to his opinion as long as he kept it to himself and not draw attention to himself.

Now that the whole non-White Supremacist world knows about this guy, VDOT will ahve a hard time keeping him on the payroll.

Posted by: spidy99 | May 3, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

So, basically, it is plausible that his license plate is about NASCAR given that Tony Stewart started driving the #14 one month before the guy got his plate.

Posted by: ronjaboy | May 3, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

He doesn't get a walk on the first numbers on the license plate. The 14CV88 was issued in March 2009, which means he likely applied for it before February. Special tags don't happen overnight. Also, it isn't clear what changed. Seems to me that adding 'CV' for Confederate Veterans may be what changed. Dig deeper.

Posted by: query0 | May 5, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse