Do you drive an SUV to Whole Foods?

You know who you are.

You shop at Whole Foods, then drive the food home in a gas slurping SUV.

You drink Diet Coke while shoveling down one too many pizza slices.

You install green technology in your home and then watch your bills go up.

You do a good deed and then treat yourself to something splendid at the mall.

I've done almost all these things. Studies say so do most Americans. But why? What drives people who consciously seek to lead a greener life to then turn around and behave in ways that seem to contradict their good deeds? Email me. Let's talk.

By Michael S. Rosenwald  | June 29, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Build-A-Story
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Story pick: The Byrd obits
Next: Story pick: The art of the Larry King takedown

Comments

How about the liberals who send their kids to private school?

Posted by: mjwies11 | June 30, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I drive and SUV, or a full-sized pickup truck, or my V-8 Red Mustang Convertible GT to Whole Foods... what's the big deal? ...I could care less about going green.

Posted by: Viennacommuter1 | June 30, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

One possible reason why greenies are hypocrites who cherry-pick their ideology is that they are human beings, and human beings are hypocrites who cherry-pick their ideology. I could go on all day giving examples from among conservatives and religious people, but I guess we're not supposed to mention that.

Posted by: DoctorWhom | June 30, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I saw a car with a "Wilderness Conservationist" license plate. The sticker on the window said "Tea Party Patriot". Drill baby, Drill!! Oxy Moron

Posted by: stilldoin | June 30, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The biggest hypocrites are Hollywood’s elite and Al Gore. Do what I say not what I do. This guy has several large homes and a carbon footprint 100's of times that of the average American.

Posted by: osheehan1 | June 30, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding title.

What's funny are those who drive SUVs to Whole Foods, and don't see the irony of it.

Posted by: postfan1 | July 1, 2010 5:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't even own a vehicle of any type, nor shop at Whole Foods.

Posted by: jckdoors | July 1, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I drive a SUV to Whole Foods. I also drive it to Lowe's and to Safeway. What of it?

The holier than thou greenies can tell me how to travel when they start helping me with the payments. Otherwise, they know what they can do with their opinion.

Posted by: ceefer66 | July 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I drive a 4x4 Ford SportTrac and I shop at Roots, the Amish Market in Burtonsville and go to farms to pick the fruits and veggies that I am not already growing in my yard. Why? Because I bought my first vehicle in Alaska and I didn't want to spend most of my winter in a ditch. I fully believe in sustainability and organics, I also believe that it's high time for solar/wind/other renewables to be WIDELY used to cut and end oil dependence and destruction of our wild and farm lands. I still drive my truck because I actually use it for its intended purpose and there isn't a better option available at this time. When solar trucks come out, I'll be there.

Posted by: HappyArmyWife | July 1, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't jump to conclusions based on such little knowledge of another person's lifestyle.

I drive a truck because I haul things around fairly often. I do not drive it to work (I walk to Metro), therefore I'm driving under 10,000 miles a year. If someone were to give me a car that gets better mileage, I'd drive it and decrease, but not eliminate, the use of the truck, but I can't afford to purchase, insure, store and maintain two vehicles.

Still waiting for someone to give me a Prius.
And waiting...

Posted by: lilkender | July 2, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Eh. Whatever. Some of us make choices that do not represent a monolith agenda. Are we not allowed to make any green choices unless we adhere strictly to somebody else's definition of "green"? Does this also apply to being a feminist, a Christian or a capitalist? Bah. I believe the phrase is "get a life."

Posted by: oak07022010 | July 2, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I drive a Jeep Cherokee, the original SUV, only 'cause the Jeep Comanche was a pick-up truck. (I am the Comanche Nation's consulting anthropologist). I go to the West Orange Whole Foods every weekday for my morning decaf (in a Comanche Nation mug, 15 cent discount) and two muffins.

Depending on conditions, I get between 17 and 25 MPG.

Posted by: tkavanag | July 4, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I personally don't have a problem with SUV's and apparently millions of Americans don't either since they are the best selling vehicles. They get better mileae than pick up trucks and Vans, but no one castigagtes them because those vehicles represent "working people", as if I don't work everyday to pay for my ride. No shame in my game! Especially not based upon some uppity, bicyucle riding, self righteous, holier than thou, eco hypocrite's opinion.

Posted by: PepperDr | July 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, there sure are a lot of arrogant, sententious asSUV drivers out there. Thank you for a truly vomit-inducing prompt, Michael S. Rosenwald.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | July 4, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"How about the liberals who send their kids to private school?"

How about conservatives who lobby for and support war then are more than willing to hold the other guy's coat? But I digress.

Those with feelings of inadequacy,whether well founded or imagined, or experience a deep psychological need for such a vehicle as a SUV in an urban traffic clogged environment, will be heartened to learn of a rumor that Dodge is planning a new line of just such vehicles. They plan on calling this new environmental disaster on wheels the "Gulf Slam". This behemoth of the highway will come with a 450HP engine, pistons the size of garbage cans and the towing capacity of a five bedroom house. The model comes in three strikingly new colors, ozone orange, bayou brown and California silver skies haze. Also comes standard with multiple Bluetooth adapters as to allow both passengers and driver the ability to carry on simultaneous conversations, in most cases with people who could care less about hearing the daily minutia of their self-important lives. Of course, it goes without saying that GPS is standard as those who purchase such vehicles are largely clueless to the bigger world around them. Dodge has yet to decide whether to replace its recognizable hood ornament the RAM with an oily brown pelican.

Posted by: slim2 | July 4, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I drive my hybrid SUV to Whole Foods. And if it wasn't a hybrid, I'd still drive it to Whole Foods. Get a life.

Posted by: sotiredofit | July 4, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I am sure that Al Gore has someone else drive his SUV to Whole Foods. And that person has to drive to Al Gore's house to get the SUV to drive to Whole Foods. Be as green as you want. But don't tell me how to live.

Posted by: bobbo2 | July 5, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that we are poliitcally correct, environmentally correct, etc. as long as it doesn't restrict OUR lifestyle or our income (taxes or cost) Personally I am neither. I drive my full sized pick up, I drive when and where I want, I eat red meat, and use plastic bags. Thats what's great about the US, supposedly you can live as you want. Unless you aren't a Conservative, or Liberal, then both sides try to make laws that make you live as they think you should.

Posted by: rsteffens1 | July 5, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse