Weigh in: Is D.C. a Blackberry town?

Everywhere you look in the region -- if you take your eyes off your smartphone -- people seem to be on BlackBerrys. But in other big cites -- such as New York -- people seem to be on iPhones. Does that difference really exist?

So we're wondering: Do you think this is a BlackBerry town? Why? Our reporting begins with some digital bread crumbs: The government, for instance, is all BlackBerry --- largely for security reasons. But other big employers around the region are also heavy BlackBerry purchasers -- why?

It could be a cultural thing, right? Does the government's dominance in the BlackBerry world spread like a virus to other employers around the region that interact with bureaucrats?

We're eager to hear from readers about what the smartphone policies are where you work. Are employees pushing for more iPhones? Or are we too sophisticated (or boring) for the App World? Tell us about the decisions you've made or that you've observed in your workplace--and let us know your thoughts about what BlackBerry's dominance in this region says about the nature and culture of Washington--on the comment boards below and in our reader survey:

By Marc Fisher  | June 4, 2010; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  Build-A-Story
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Story pick: The lonely monkey
Next: Story pick: How a soccer star Is made

Comments

The single biggest reason why this is a Blackberry town and not the overwhelming preferred Iphone is the service provider. ATT BLOWS while Verizon is not only more reliable it works on the entire metro subway system while Iphone works on just a handful of metro station platforms. The single biggest favor Apple can do for it's loyal customers is dump the ATT stranglehold on service. Then sit back and watch the numbers change.

Posted by: dem4life1 | June 6, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

BBerry as the choice for government and most major corporate email systems has more than just the direct effect of including these employees. It also means their technical staff are more familiar with BBerry features (security, migration, data integrity, etc.) and if they change employers, they will likely continue with BBerry. Also, employers know there are more IT professionals out in the market who work with BBerry platform.

I have both -- BBerry for work, iPhone for personal, and I actually like the separation. My wife uses both work and personal on her iPhone (for now - the office is going BBerry only on July 1) and is therefore always "working."

Posted by: mo_dc | June 6, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I would have voted but there wasn't an option for my phone. I have a simple cell phone for which I press the buttons and dial numbers. I know I have a camera in it but I've never used it (never had a reason to) but I have figured out how to use the menu button and go to most recent calls (received and sent) and can scroll to a number and hit the send button to call it.

No voting option for "I don't have a smart phone"?

Posted by: Dungarees | June 6, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I used to have just a regular cell phone, though I did use the camera on it. I now have a Blackberry RIM and I love it because I can use it for email too. In fact, I rarely use the phone function. Thought about the iPhone and maybe, in 2 years when my contract is up, I'll try the iPhone, but right now, my BB is just fine and I love it. I have absolutely no problem with AT&T service!

Posted by: Oxygen1 | June 6, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I own an iPod, iPad (Love It!), and a Mac. Why no iPhone? AT&T. They suck. The second Apple breaks bread with Verizon, I'm on the iPhone like a bully on the fat kid.

Posted by: rhudspeth | June 6, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Easy answer to this one: metro subway system. Verizon is the only wireless provider that works inside the metro system. When Verizon gets the iphone, DC will be there.

Posted by: peony2 | June 6, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Dungarees-

I'm with you. If something is urgent enough I can be reached on the phone. If the issue was relegated to email it probably isn't all that urgent.

Posted by: BEEPEE | June 6, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I work for a large insurance company and we are all BB. We do have a pilot iPhone program going on so it's on it's way! I have an iPhone for personal use and love it. I also am a huge Mac dork. I have very few issue's with the AT&T service so I don't get the hate that everyone has for AT&T. I do wish it worked in the metro but sometime it's nice to be unplugged. Even if it is only for a few minutes between stops.

Posted by: pcbordewyk | June 6, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse