Coming soon: The last phone calls?

Does anyone out there make long cell phone calls anymore? What about leaving voice mails or bothering to check your own messages? I suspect that many people out there may be like me, friends, and colleagues: They use their cell phones mainly to text, email, or play with some app. For for a story about the decline and fall of the phone call -- or even, as a recent Wired magazine essay put it, "The Death of the Phone Call" -- I'd love to talk with you.

(Don't worry. We'll do the interview in person, not on the phone.) My email is shapirai@washpost.com

By Ian Shapira  | August 2, 2010; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  Build-A-Story
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Story pick: NPR goes toxic
Next: Pick of the day: Thinking about thinking

Comments

I hate it. I don't mind texting,but at the same time whatever happen to a good ole'conversation over the phone. You know, where we use our words verbally.It's like everybody is mute now days. Texting makes things seem so distant, and i know for myself, after working a 8hr shift mon-fri, on the computer typing, I don't want to have a conversation through text. Small talk, is ok. But when you have a person that asks you a question through text,and have the nerve to tell you to give him details, something aint right with that picture?????? Im just saying!

Posted by: sunshine24 | August 5, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

My latest bill: 1000+ minutes of talk time, 2 text messages.

Why, yes, I AM over 40. Why do you ask?

Posted by: AIRS91 | August 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Long calls? No. But phone calls are all I use my pre-paid Virgin Moblie phone for. I have no plans to buy a phone with any other features. I don't text at all.

Posted by: jckdoors | August 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm the opposite of sunshine24. After a long 8 hr. shift the last thing I want to do is talk on the phone, or text for that matter. However, I'm more likely to respond to a text than pick up the phone as long as the text is meaningful and short.

Posted by: qsabree | August 6, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"For for a story about the decline and fall..."
--------------------------
Maybe you don't text enough.

Posted by: postisarag | August 8, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Funny coincidence - I call my teenager's cell phone. Without fail, no answer, no callback.

I text my teenager. Without fail, I get a text response in less than 30 seconds (unless, of course, my message happens to be "time to come home").

Posted by: zippypinhead1 | August 9, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse