Super Bowl Sunday With Michael Wilbon & Tony Kornheiser
The Bloggers

Commercials

Michael Wilbon

Is this Robert Goulet commerical supposed to be funny? Does anybody watching under the age of 45 have any idea of who Robert Goulet is?

Is this whole Super Bowl commerical hype just Tony making something out of nothing? How overrated! That FedEx commercial was totally lame. K-Fed? Waste of time...What was he selling anyway? Axe Murderer? That's funny? Or spectacular? Please...I might have to go back to covering the actual game if this is all there is...

By Michael Wilbon |  February 4, 2007; 8:56 PM ET  | Category:  Michael Wilbon
Previous: Crunch Time | Next: Fourth Quarter

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

wilbon, yesm Goulet WAS funny. Why would he be in your office at 3PM screwing things up? Who knew he had that much time on his hands?

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:02 PM

Will Ferrel did a great Robert Goulet impression. Gou-LET. Always makes me laugh. No idea what the commercial was for.

Posted by: B | February 4, 2007 09:03 PM

SURELY, you must have liked the commercial with two of your homeys, D Wade and Sir Charles.

Posted by: anonymous | February 4, 2007 09:03 PM

You know what's really lame? Being able to watch the commercials days in advance. And seeing them repeatedly on newscasts in the week or two before the game. Over and over again. And the bottom line is: they're only TV commercials!

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 09:03 PM

Geez Mike I'm sorry the Bears are sucking wind right now, but don't take it out on the world buddy!!

Posted by: Matt | February 4, 2007 09:04 PM

Robert Goulet is funny on name alone...I am so depressed that I not only know who he is, I can hear him singing the Man from LaMancha in my head.

It was still a funny commercial. Loved the last careerBuilder one.

Posted by: merzydoats | February 4, 2007 09:05 PM

This years commercials haven't been very good, maybe they knew you would be watching, Mike.

Posted by: David Vair | February 4, 2007 09:05 PM

What was lame was Rex throwing instead of running on third down. Ack! But yes, the axe and chain saw was also right up there on the lame-o scale.

Posted by: Jerry | February 4, 2007 09:06 PM

Hey, they finally called Tank Johnson's name!

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 09:07 PM

The commercials have been lame this year, actually for a few years now. Maybe I'm just older?

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 09:07 PM

MW - sorry you didn't like the hitchhiker with axe bottle opener - i think tk probably loved it

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 09:07 PM

Football is Tank Johnson's job. If I was found to have 6 unlicensed guns and 500 rounds of ammo, would the courts let me keep on going to work the next couple weeks?

Posted by: The Law | February 4, 2007 09:08 PM

Only if you worked at the Post Office.

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 09:12 PM

Garbage, Garbage, Garbage all of them.

They all had the same few themes. If this is what they(companies) think we like we are in sad shape. They need new marketing stratgies.

Posted by: b_blayton | February 4, 2007 09:36 PM

Yes, Will Ferrell kind of broke the N-word taboo using Robert Goulet's "It's a Rap". I laughed at it because Will Ferrell pulled it off without malice. He is one of the few white comedians that I've seen who can do it. He appeared on Conan's late night show after that hit the social commentary circles, and Will Ferrell showed a lot of class then and there, so I gave him a pass. I would not be surprised if the reaction he got from a lot of white folks was more positively hostile than the negative reaction he got from blacks, but I am just speculating here. To answer your question Michael, although I did not see the commercial it sounds as though it was a tongue-n-cheek nod to Will's use of the N-word at this Superbowl which if you ask me stinks of racism, which goes to my point. That is what you get when you play with fire Will. I do not think your people are as ready for it as mine are. Think about that, Whitey! GouLET....

Posted by: DryIce | February 4, 2007 11:36 PM

The blockbuster commercial was hilarious. The animals in the pet store clicking on the mouse, the 'live' mouse. Thats ROTFL funny.

Posted by: Tasia | February 5, 2007 04:53 AM

Of course, Robert Goulet is known to my generation as for his seminal work in ESPN commercials in the 90s.

Nah,Nah,NahNah. Nah,Nah,NahNah, heyheyHEY....Adios!

Find THAT on Youtube, and TRY not to laugh.

Posted by: solomonrex | February 5, 2007 11:29 AM

The Commercials in large part were not that good. The best one of the night might have been the very first one. Two guys grab a bud light. Rock, Paper Scissor to see who gets it. One guy actually threw a rock. That was pretty funny. Otherwise - totally lame.

Posted by: pjp5 | February 5, 2007 01:10 PM

There were a few that made me laugh out loud. Oprah/Letterman for one was perfect. I did think the K-fed was funny, and the one (careerbuilder?) with the office workers fighting for the promotion made me laugh. That was about it though.

The Goulet spot was a combination of funny/creepy. (I'm just under 45...)

Posted by: Upteach40 | February 5, 2007 10:13 PM

where can we see the oprah and dave commercial

Posted by: | February 5, 2007 11:28 PM