Super Bowl Sunday With Michael Wilbon & Tony Kornheiser
The Bloggers

I Missed Prince!

Tony Kornheiser

I'm sorry I can't review Prince. We had company and I missed Prince. I hope he was good; I've also missed the first five minutes of the third quarter but I noticed the score is the same as it was when I left. Cindy, have there been any turnovers so far? No, Tony. Good. I notice the Colts are driving. I wonder if Vinatieri will miss another field goal? I like the fact that the Colts center is named Jeff Saturday. He's the only person I know named Saturday. I know there are Sundays, Mondays and Fridays, but I never heard of a Saturday before this guy. My dog just angered me. She started to eat a napkin. I'm on my second bottle of wine tonight and I notice it continues to pour in Miami. I'm gonna go to sleep soon because I'm pretty much ripped, but I'd like to stay for the end of this drive.

By Tony Kornheiser |  February 4, 2007; 8:18 PM ET  | Category:  Tony Kornheiser
Previous: Prince At Halftime | Next: Third Quarter

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

I've never seen that challenge before. But the remarkable thing is there are pictures that will tell you how many men are on the field. [It's an amazing world, Grampa.] If Dungy gets this wrong, he should fire whoever told him to challenge.
Ooh, I like Lovie's hat.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:37 PM

How was the flank steak, Tony? I hope it was cut correctly.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:38 PM

Tony, what do you think Carlos Boozer has to say about Prince's performance?

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 08:39 PM

Did your best buddy Brian Billick stop over to watch the game?

Posted by: David Vair | February 4, 2007 08:40 PM

I don't know why, but watching this game in the rain makes me depressed. I don't know why.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:41 PM

I don't care who doesn't like animation - that was a GREAT Coke commercial

Posted by: merzydoats | February 4, 2007 08:42 PM

That was a stupid challenge. In a two-point game, Tony Dungy just lost a timeout because somebody told him there were 12 on the field. Really stupid. Let's see Vinatieri gags this one. Or does what he's done for so many years, kick it through.
He made it. But that was a terrible snap. And the holder made something out of nothing.
At 19:14, the Bears are just one touchdown away.
I hate animation. I will not see anything with animation. Not even Bambi. Meet the Robinsons is off my radar.
This Etrade commercial is freaky and it bothers me. [Like THAT'LL happen.]
Here's another bad Coke commercial...cementing my opinion that the Coca-Cola commercials are the worst by a major company in a Super Bowl. I wonder what you all think of which you liked and which you didn't. I'm trying to solicit your opinions, altho I'll never read what you post. Although Cindy will and will tell me [yeah, right]. We're trying to get more responses for this game and this blog than the Cheeseboy gets. If I do better than the Cheeseboy, I will continue to do this [oh, joy!] and the Cheeseboy will end up in Des Moines.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:42 PM

Coke machine - OK for animated - I guess a lot of commercial actors and extras are starving these days

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 08:42 PM

Maggie eating a napkin, I thought she just ate straight cash homie.

Posted by: David Vair | February 4, 2007 08:43 PM

gorillas - bud lite nails it again - excellent

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 08:43 PM

Tony, if you're running low on red, I have a basement full. I'm in Friendship Heights. Come on over.

Posted by: John | February 4, 2007 08:43 PM

Are gorilla commercials as good as monkey commercials? I don't think so.

Posted by: John Gibbs | February 4, 2007 08:44 PM

That Bud Light commercial with the gorillas is good. Here's a Sheryl Crow commercial for Revlon. I feel sorry for her after Lance Armstrong dumped her. Personally, I would not have dumped Sheryl Crow. In fact, if she wants to call me, here's where I am.....
I know that's a complicated thing, given my life, but c'mon, it's Sheryl Crow and we both know how to ride on a bus.
I started this entry to say that I liked what the Colts were doing by kicking away from Hester.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:45 PM

oooo so close gorillas no monkeys in suits. sorry Tony. why didn't you say something about drowning cheeseboy. I could have brought friends.

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 08:45 PM

Best commercial: Mapasaurus vs. Ultraman

Second best: Coke machine

Third best: meh, they've all pretty much sucked. Is Michael Jackson no longer doing Pepsi commercials?

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:45 PM

You say Des Moines like it's a bad thing.

Posted by: Joel K | February 4, 2007 08:45 PM

Great animation in that Coke commercial -
especially if you think about all the bacteria inside a soda vending machine.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:45 PM

Oprah/Letterman was the best commercial of the night. I know you don't care, but I want to see the downfall of Cheeseboy, whoever he is.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:46 PM

Ohmygod, Grossman is moving backwards!

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:47 PM

Posted by: merzydoats | February 4, 2007 08:47 PM

Is it too early to write off the Bears?

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 08:48 PM

CareerBuilder - that's my job!

Posted by: merzydoats | February 4, 2007 08:48 PM

Can we put a moratorium on talking animals in commercials. Exceedingly unoriginal.

I like th enew direction CareerBuilder is taking in their ads.

Van Heusen commercial was too smarmy.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:49 PM

lions for taco bell beats the little dog who I sincerely hope the lions ate

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 08:49 PM

I want the monkeys back.
I really like talking animals. I never thought of talking lions! But talking lions for Taco Bell is a big hit for me.
I don't like this backwards commercial. it is freaking me out. I will never buy Van Heusen because of it. I was a Van Heusen outlet store in Delaware on Saturday and their stuff was garbage. Actually, egabrag.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:50 PM

Maybe the napkin had money in it

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 08:50 PM

33 run no good - i have addai on my fantasy team

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 08:52 PM

I'm drinking a cheap red called Jake's Vault. Do you have that in your basement, Friendship Heights?
Why is there a man named Danielle?

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:52 PM

The Coke commercials have been awful. Either they are stupid or taking credit for something they had nothing to do with like civil rights. Didn't they just settle a huge lawsuit over civil rights within the company?

The Bud Light ones have been decent as well as the singing Chevy one. The suicide robot was not a good idea.

TK, looking forward to hearing you on radio later this month, although it will have to be via the e-mail machine.

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 08:52 PM

Why is Manning complaining so much? Everytime they show him, he's yelling at somebody. Look at him. He's so angry. It could be a lot worse. He could be Eli Manning.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:54 PM

Signing off now - see you later in RI Land, Cindy, Nate, SMACK, and gang.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:54 PM

Manning is mad because there are no monkeys in suits this year

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 08:55 PM

Vinatieri's got nine. Take those away and it's 14-13. This is another Super Bowl he's gonna win.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 08:55 PM

Forgot to add that the best commercial so far was the short one with Dave and Oprah.

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 08:55 PM

Ahhh, there's our answer. Talking Animals + Jake's Vault = Hilarious commercial.

To me, Tony, it seems like an overused concept.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:56 PM

Chuck should have thrown that waitress through the window

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 08:56 PM

I think you "man named Danielle" is really spelled "Daniel." Don't know why they're pronouncing it "Danielle."

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 08:57 PM

Does Robert Goulet hang around YOUR office and screw things up?

That gets my vote for best commercial not involving Dave and Oprah.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:57 PM

The Emerald Nuts Robert Goulet commercial just became the best one of the night.

Posted by: Tim | February 4, 2007 08:57 PM

Ooh! A Robert Goulet sighting. I love Robert Goulet. What a great ad for emerald nuts.
How great is Charles Barkley! I even like a T-Mobile ad. They have only three customers in the entire world!
I'm gonna be done by the end of this quarter.

Posted by: | February 4, 2007 08:57 PM

Goulet must work at the Pentagon a lot

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 08:57 PM

Football players swinging at each other in full pads is just too funny.

Also, old commercials played during the Super Bowl are lame.

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 08:58 PM

If I was a fast food worker, I'd be offended that K-Fed would qualify for that job.

Bud Light/Axe commercial was funny.

Didn't like the FedEx names mean who they are commercial.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:00 PM

The commercials stink - the Bears are just holding up - and the rain makes it dreary - dull Super Bowl - what's new?

Posted by: quaodhoc | February 4, 2007 09:01 PM

I hated the FedEx commercial, but I loved the much-anticipated KFed commercial. KFed is a symbol of how quick it all disappears -- as is his wife or, should I say, ex-wife. KFed gets points for identifying what a loser he is. On balance, the Bud Light commercials are disappointing, don't you think? There were a couple of good ones and a couple of clunkers. Coke had all losers and Chevy had all winners.
I'm sort of surprised it has rained all game.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:01 PM

I think K-Fed has a much bigger career ahead of him than his ex-wife does

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 09:02 PM

The Bud Light commercial with the auctioneer was funny, and typical Bud Light. The ape one, not so funny.

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 09:05 PM

I'm really I'm not there doing this game. [Like THAT would happen.] It just looks sloppy and crummy. [Imagine the whining.] I wouldn't have anything to say. I'm sitting in my house, there's a giant fire in the fireplace, I have giant blackberries from Costco. I'm happy and I hope you are, too. By the way, if I drink any more wine, I'm going to float away.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:05 PM

IS Tony really asleep during the superbowl. Doesn't he have his own sports show?

Posted by: DC | February 4, 2007 09:07 PM

disagree about chevy (and Ford) having good commercials tonight. Between hyping large gas guzzlers to robotic suicide shows how out of touch Detroit is with reality. No wonder they are all losing ground.

Posted by: ducktown | February 4, 2007 09:07 PM

Challenge it! His feet are in. Challenge it!

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:07 PM

Dungy shouldn't have challenged the catch. That's gonna bite him in the butt later.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:08 PM

I wasn't going to mention it, but actually, good stuff...97 and 99 Cabs. Some French, too. The cheap stuff doesn't last long. I was saving one to celebrate on Feb 20.

Posted by: Friendship Heights | February 4, 2007 09:09 PM

That was a good challenge, as opposed to the crazy challenge of 12 men on the field by Dungy last time.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:10 PM

Forget Tony, I'm getting on the Metro now, Friendship.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 09:11 PM

But Tony, now Dungy has no challenges left. The challenge might have been a good one, but because of the initial awful challenge, he's left with no challenges until the 2 minute warning. I think that could be huge.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:12 PM

buenas noches cindy

Posted by: chris | February 4, 2007 09:13 PM

What the hell is Feb. 20? Oh, yeah...

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:13 PM

Everyone should listen to Lehecka. He knows what he is talking about -- he has a black belt in Madden 2007.

Posted by: Nerd | February 4, 2007 09:15 PM

No pressure, Tony, but I'm looking forward to Feb. 20th being great.

Posted by: | February 4, 2007 09:17 PM

Will there be catering at the new studio?

Posted by: | February 4, 2007 09:18 PM

TW - heard you were still on this thread - crab commercial excellent!! MW hated the the guy with the axe bottle opener

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 09:19 PM

Let me say this: Marvin Harrison is gonna go to the Hall of Fame. But he has dropped two passes he should have caught tonight. I know he's been hit and I know that with contact you can't hold onto the ball. But I also know that receivers catch balls like that routinely. And, as great as he is, Marvin Harrison has made those catches regularly in his career. I know he's thinking, "I should have had those."

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:19 PM

It looks like Harrison's knee got messed up on that last play.

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 09:20 PM

Cindy says that Marvin Harrison was bent like a pretzel on that last play, so maybe I am being too harsh, but it seems to me that HOF receivers like Michael Irvin and Lynn Swann make those catches in the Super Bowl, don't they?

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:21 PM

Tony, Marvin Harrison is still suffering from a dumthumb that has plagued him all year. That's why he's dropping more passes.

Interception. I sense this game is over. Grossman stinks.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:22 PM

Excuse me, a bum thumb.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:22 PM

There's your ballgame, boys and girls. Rex Grossman made a terrible pass. In fact, you can ask Nathan and April, I said in my house, "That's a terrible pass." Within a second, it was intercepted.
I understand why they're challenging this because it's the ballgame, but I don't think he's out of bounds.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:23 PM

Non Hall of Famers like Art Monk make those catches too

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 09:23 PM

Buenas noches to you, too, Chris.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 09:24 PM

The Izod commercial stinks. The commercial with Don Shula and Jay Z for Budweiser is garbage as well. It's unthinkable they'd be at the same table. In fact, when Shula left that shoot, he still had no idea who Jay Z was.

Posted by: Tony | February 4, 2007 09:28 PM

What wines did you enjoy tonight, Tony? I know it was some '99 and '97 Cab Sauv.s, but what producer, did you stick with Calif. Cabs or did you venture into some St. Emilion's? I enjoyed some 2006 N.Z. Sauv. Blancs - excellent - I'm hearing good things about this year's vintage from N.Z.!!

Posted by: quaodhoc | February 4, 2007 09:28 PM

I don't think Jay-Z knew who Shula was either

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 09:28 PM

Wilbon predicted the bad pick for 6 in the third quarter.

Posted by: John G | February 4, 2007 09:29 PM

Wow, two wounded ducks = two INTs for Rex.

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 09:31 PM

Do you think that Rex Grossman will be doing commercials for Nationwide next year?

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 09:31 PM

Hmmm, perhaps the Chicago Press and their fans were right about Grossman?

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:32 PM

Tony, there was 1 good Coke commercial. The one honoring Tony and Lovie. That was cool.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 09:33 PM

Flomax affects cateract surgery? Who knew.

Posted by: Paul in WY | February 4, 2007 09:35 PM

Tony,

Are you sure Marvin will get inducted into the HOF? After all, he is not "media friendly" and is very quiet....which it seems is one reason Monk keeps getting rejected.

Posted by: Lisa | February 4, 2007 09:38 PM

I can't believe your such a cheeser and did not see Prince . . . are working or not?

Posted by: chris | February 4, 2007 09:39 PM

Cindy, is Tony still awake? Can either of you get Weingarten back on washingtonpost.com?

Posted by: John | February 4, 2007 09:52 PM