Super Bowl Sunday With Michael Wilbon & Tony Kornheiser
The Bloggers

Wilbon Checks In

Okay, I guess I'm officially blogging...for the first time. It's 10 p.m., just 20 hours or so before Super Bowl XLI and I've landed in Cleveland where it's 6 degrees, or 75 degrees cooler than it was in Miami when I left at 6 p.m.

I'm here in Cleveland because by new ABC gig, doing pre-game and halftime at the Sunday NBA game-of-the-week, calls for me to be here for Pistons-Cavaliers at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon, the appetizer portion of Super Bowl Sunday.

I spent all week in Miami writing columns for The Post on the Super Bowl, so I'm ready to do battle with Mr. Monday Night during the game tomorrow.

I'm not sure why ANYBODY would participate in this silliness while a game is going on. But it appears to be the way of the world...

I know people who regularly read the Chat House will wonder if I'm bummed out to not be in Miami watching my Chicago Bears in person...the answer is, NO.

Covering the Super Bowl is a 12-hour day, at least, and I don't ever really enjoy the day. So, this is kind of a relief. I'll do halftime here in The Q (where Justin Timberlake is performing as we speak) and then walk back to my hotel and actually watch the game.

I haven't actually watched the Super Bowl on TV since 1986, Jan. 26, which is the last time the Chicago Bears were in it. I wasn't covering pro football for The Post yet...I was on the college football and college basketball beat...

Since then, I've covered 21 straight Super Bowls, which is to say, all of them. Until now. So, there's a bit of symmetry to this whole thing, that I won't be there again when the Bears play. Desmond Clark, the Bears starting tight end, told me it was my civic duty as a Bears fan to get the hell out of Miami since I wasn't at the '85 Super Bowl and they won...

So, TK and I will embark on this new adventure tomorrow. I'll get to see the commericals and pre-game shows and hear the announcers, all stuff I haven't done since I was 27 years old...That's a long time. The Super Bowl has gone through quite some evolution since then.

Can't wait until 6:25 eastern Sunday...MW

By Michael Wilbon |  February 4, 2007; 3:25 PM ET
Previous: Tony's Update | Next: Wilbon Calls an Audible

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

I've told Mike he'll be stunned by the number of questions, their depth and wit.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 03:34 PM

I was wondering if you'd be bummed out about not being there in person, but since you can't cheer in the press box, it makes sense to watch from the comforts of your hotel room....and hopefully it is an HDTV:)

Posted by: MarcoPolo | February 4, 2007 03:35 PM

Willybuns,

Did you lose a bet and have to wear those shirts all last week on PTI, or is Saturday Night Fever coming to a men's store near me?

Posted by: Nerd | February 4, 2007 03:44 PM

Hey Wilbon,

How is it possible you haven't seen "Groundhog Day"?

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 03:45 PM

Actually, Wilbon is such a big deal, the Bears and Colts plan to reenact the game for him in person. They'll even pause to give him snack and bathroom breaks.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 03:46 PM

How many people are involved in this blog and watching the game? Cuz, you know, Andy Polley has this Super Bowl theory...

Posted by: Joel K | February 4, 2007 03:48 PM

Hi Michael,

I LOVED the hot pink shirt you wore one day last week.

Posted by: Lisa | February 4, 2007 04:04 PM

Mike is doing the NBA today?

WHAT CHANNEL IS THAT ON?

Posted by: andy millman | February 4, 2007 04:14 PM

Sadly, the NBA is just slightly more watchable than Irvin on the 4 letter.

Posted by: Nerd | February 4, 2007 04:16 PM

where's steinberg?????

Posted by: littles | February 4, 2007 04:20 PM

Mike,

At least you are inside. Is the wind blowing off the lake?

Posted by: Larry in Ashburn | February 4, 2007 04:31 PM

Mike,

You could walk across your beloved Chicago River right now,and not worry about falling in. This place is an absolute ghost town right now! Man I hope the Bears win.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 05:20 PM