Super Bowl Sunday With Michael Wilbon & Tony Kornheiser
The Bloggers

No, I'm not asleep

Michael Wilbon

Hello Everybody...I'm not sure what's more nerve-wracking, watching my team play in the Super Bowl or blogging for the first time in my life...After that incredibly encouraging start, the Colts seem to be playing smarter and harder, which angers the hell out of me.... It's not trailing now for the first time which angers me; it's that the offense looks like it did too much of the second half of the season...Then again, this is the only thing even a Bears fan could expect, back-and-forth, up-and-down...Manning can't be stopped consistently...But the Bears are going to have to hit him...I mean really hit him and discourage him and that hasn't happened yet...

By Michael Wilbon |  February 4, 2007; 7:28 PM ET  | Category:  Michael Wilbon
Previous: Second quarter | Next: Prince At Halftime

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Hey, Wilbon's here! I actually picked the Bears, too. If only they can hold on to the ball.

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 07:39 PM

Mike, nothing to worry about. It's just an honor to be 'here' with you during the game. Blog away!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:39 PM

Wilbon, welcome home buddy! Man, what a start for Da Bears! D. Hester is the real deal and don't think he's done for the night. Remember he went to the U and is used to playing in the FLA rain.

Posted by: Chris Gaithersburg Md | February 4, 2007 07:39 PM

Hey Mike, good to see you.

And what a great Coke ad that just was! Very cool!

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 07:40 PM

Somehow I can't see Prince playing in the rain.....

Posted by: Lisa | February 4, 2007 07:41 PM

HI Big Daddy. I was worried about TSA incident on the plane. Were you able to listen while in the air?

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 07:41 PM

I'm rooting for the Colts to avenge God's team, the Saints...but I'm not impressed yet by Manning and Co. despite the lead.

Rex blows but the Bears lead in the intensity dept...so far.

Love PTI!

Posted by: John Thomas McCook | February 4, 2007 07:41 PM

Benson out, that's tough. Hate to have a guy go out in this game.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:41 PM

time for the Chicago D to take over

Posted by: snap | February 4, 2007 07:43 PM

Mike

By the way, I have a nice view of the Chicago river. That thing is completely frozen. But I hope the Bears win, so the city gets to go nuts!

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 07:43 PM

Wow, the ads have sucked. Here's the last one..."Cute robot makes a mistake and kills himself." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...what do you mean, that doesn't make you want to buy GM trucks ?

(sigh)

Posted by: Big Daddy | February 4, 2007 07:44 PM

mike - not time now for the art monk thing now but please write about it later this week and bring up on pti

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 07:44 PM

Prince will play under a paisley awning.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:45 PM

Mike, really we are harmless. Tony has done a great job(actually Cindy has). We have been excited to have you hear. BTW wouldn't a superbowl ad with Jack and his manbag be good.

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 07:45 PM

Peyton is starting to really comfortable out there...not good for your Bears.....Can you wake UP toNY

Posted by: Chris Gaithersburg Md | February 4, 2007 07:45 PM

Suddenly, the Bears forgot how to tackle. How many guys touched Addai before he went down on that last play? Five? Six?

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 07:46 PM

Tony talks a lot!

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 07:46 PM

Connectile disfunction? Funniest commercial so far.

Posted by: DH | February 4, 2007 07:47 PM

This is CRAZY, the dual Mike-Tony blog postings, but I love it. LOVE it.

If the Skins aren't in this game, we might as well have over-the-top sensory stimulation. The blog is bringing it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:48 PM

The Bottle of Red has knocked TK out.

Posted by: David Vair | February 4, 2007 07:48 PM

Hey Cindy, is time for Mr. Tony to drink some Coffee? It's pouring in FLA. What's Prince going to do when he gets his hair wet?

Posted by: CHRIS | February 4, 2007 07:48 PM

Wilbon, are you disappointed that Celine isn't performing at halftime?

Posted by: Rob in Arlington | February 4, 2007 07:48 PM

Hey, now there's a big play by the Bears' 'D'!

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 07:50 PM

"I'm Phil Simms. Even I don't know what the hell is wrong with my hair."

Posted by: Big Daddy | February 4, 2007 07:50 PM

MW,
I agree with the art monk guy. That is crazy that he did not get in. As a player, as a leader, the guy needs to be in the hall. He should not have to wait any longer. It is now actually an outrage. What can we do to get him in.

Posted by: Carter | February 4, 2007 07:50 PM

more rain caused cirque du footballez!!!

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 07:50 PM

...and the Colts get it right back.

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 07:50 PM

There is better execution over at Puppy Bowl.

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 07:50 PM

These Turnovers are Devastating.

Posted by: David Vair | February 4, 2007 07:51 PM

There you go MIKE! Have you ever seen soooooo many turnovers in the SB? No way, now Rex...HOLY COW.....Unbelievable..Mike are you watching this?

Posted by: Chris Gaithersburg Md | February 4, 2007 07:51 PM

OK. The fumbles are actually getting old. Seriously

Posted by: Carter | February 4, 2007 07:51 PM

Well, we hadn't had a turnover in about 15 minutes, so we were due for a couple. Can't anyone here play this game?

Posted by: pj | February 4, 2007 07:51 PM

Attention Bloggers: All those who think Wilbon may have fallen asleep signify by posting: Aye

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 07:51 PM

I hope that's Purple Rain.

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 07:52 PM

Aye,

And if the turnovers don't stop, I am going to start whining online...

Posted by: merzydoats | February 4, 2007 07:53 PM

When was the last time it just dumped rain during a Super Bowl?

Posted by: Carter | February 4, 2007 07:53 PM

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain...

This fumbalaya stuff is nuts.

That fumbled snap was Rex's signature moment in this game...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:53 PM

Wilbon cant bear to watch.......AYE......Tony is working on the other bottle of Red.....>Cindy can't wait till its all over....

Posted by: Chris | February 4, 2007 07:53 PM

i'd like to say aye but he is paralized with fear for his Bears!

Posted by: Joe Hellner | February 4, 2007 07:54 PM

SMACK in the house!! Love ya, buddy.

I switched from Hammerhead to a chocolate stout. Danger! Danger!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:54 PM

Vinateri will miss...Heard it hear first!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chris Gaithersburg Md | February 4, 2007 07:55 PM

No, There were no TSA incidents...just a delayed flight by 30 minutes out of Cleveland where I was in NBA mode for a halftime show of Cavs-Pistons...I landed just before kickoff...watched the replay of the Hester kick return inside National Airport one one of the TVs there at Gate 12...I decided early this morning I wanted to watch 3-quarters plus at home rather than watch all four on a 20-inch hotel screen at The Ritz in downtown Cleveland

Sadly, the Bears have immediately fumbled after forcing one...Rex Grossman strikes again. This kid can be as aggravating as any player in professional sports...He fumbled a perfectly good snap one play after we get the ball back. Clearly, the rain is not helping the Bears as a lot of us hope.

Indy's stretch play run is working well, running right at the defensie front and winning big time...There's no pressure on Peyton, which is defensive suicide. The Bears' best bet here is give up nothing more than a field goal and get out of dodge less than a touchdown down at the half. Lovie needs to regroup...

As for these commercials...I don't get any of them. Then again, this is like coming out of a 21-year sleep for me. I haven't watched the Super Bowl on TV since January, 1986. It's a little strange, to tell you the truth. The commercials, to me, seem over-the-top and overly-dramatic...they all seem to try too hard. Or maybe I just don't care about the pop culture stuff surrounding the Super Bowl. Maybe I'll get with it in the second half...but don't count on it.

Posted by: Mike Wilbon | February 4, 2007 07:55 PM

Did everyone just abandon Mr. Tony? He's (well, Cindy has, anyway) posted three times in a row!

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 07:55 PM

That Coke ad rubbed me the right way. Good stuff. The tattoo parlor, especially.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:55 PM

WOW.. Vinatieri misses.. WOW WOW WOW

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 07:56 PM

Whoa. When was the last time you saw that. Adam V. missing a playoff FG?

Posted by: Phil | February 4, 2007 07:57 PM

OMG Vinaterri missed one!!!

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 07:57 PM

Yo Nate! Rocking the Old Grand Dad in honor of Coach Joe. Wow, Vina missed one. My under is still alive.

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 07:57 PM

Mike you heard it hear first (read it hear) hahahhahahahhahaha Lets go BEARS.....Hey Wilbon how bout that!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chris | February 4, 2007 07:57 PM

I like the bubble commercial for March Madness or as I like to call them: the March high holy days.
Crossing my fingers that Prince still has it!

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 07:59 PM

Ok, that Coke ad about 'We all win' was VERY cool.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 08:01 PM

Oh, good Christ, it's the halftime show. Shoot me.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:01 PM

I just saw the Art Monk question that asked, "What can we do to get him in?"

Say what?

Bro, there's no vote of the general public. This isn't election day.

I was a Hall of Fame selector for 10 years and supported Monk's candidacy every time his name was up...And it angered me that enough of the others in the room didn't agree with me...But that's the deal. And you can't do anything about it. No...you can't. I was in the room voting and couldn't do anything about it...Just like the people in Oakland who think Ray Guy belongs in the Hall can't do anything about that, or like folks in Chicago think Richard Dent should be in but isn't yet...There are dozens of people who become eligible, may of them with compelling cases, but everybody isn't going in. And while I think Monk can get in next year (largely because Michael Irvin is already in and therefore won't take votes from Monk) it's quite possible Monk simply won't get in...no matter how much it upsets you.

It's sorta like me asking Lovie right now if there's something I can do about stopping Peyton Manning. Uh, no.

Posted by: Mike Wilbon | February 4, 2007 08:02 PM

Hi I hope all of you enjoy my performace under the Purple Rain. This halftime show is for an old friend you know who u are. Go BEARS

Posted by: Prince | February 4, 2007 08:03 PM

Prince playing in the rain...I need to see this to believe it...though, it sounds like he's playing right now in the backround underneath Boomer and Marino and Sharpe and JB talking...Do they show the entire halftime show on TV? Or do they stick with highlights? I have no idea. The last time I watched a Super Bowl on TV there might not have been a halftime show...

Posted by: Mike Wilbon | February 4, 2007 08:04 PM

Mike, thanks for supporting Monk all those years. We have to realize that our view from DC about Monk's HOF candidacy may be myopic, that we just might be wrong.

I'd just hate to wait 20-30 years like Hickerson, Sanders, Wehrli before feeling that Monk's greatness is FINALLY acknowledged. But that would be better than never...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:04 PM

Hey, Mikey.
Tony is eating flanksteak (King Henry VIII). I can barge in here for a while. Thanks for the kind words, Nate. :)
I can't believe all this rain!

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 08:04 PM

"Rex Grossman is who I thought he was." S. Sharpe

LMAO!!!

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:05 PM

20 inch TV at the Ritz, who are you trying to kid. You would have been at LeBron's house watching on the big screen.

Posted by: David Vair | February 4, 2007 08:05 PM

Prince will not be out in the rain. He'll be under cover, which is easier than it might seem because he's like 5'2" tall. Electric guitars, microphones, etc. don't jibe with rain too good...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:06 PM

Mike, I agree I thought I heard things too. I think maybe they are doing tape delay in case of who knows!

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 08:06 PM

They show the entire performace. But i agree Prince and wet hair..uh oh here it goes with we will, we will...

Posted by: Chris | February 4, 2007 08:06 PM

Cool - Prince does Queen. Ummm, that just seem wrong...

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:06 PM

Hey Tony and Mike -- just be very glad you're not watching this game in Texas. We were just shown an excreble disco "Dancing With The Stars"-style commercial starring Emmitt Smith cavorting through an H-E-B (a regional grocery store chain),

It stunk -- and not like the radio show does ...

Posted by: Roy in Texas | February 4, 2007 08:07 PM

If I were Prince, I would not have gone with the Lucy Ricardo bandanna.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 08:07 PM

Stage in shape of "prince symbol" - excellent - need a blimp view

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:07 PM

Luv ya, Cyn. Thanks to you, Tony, Mike and anybody else making this happen.

What a shame Freddie Mercury didn't live to play at one of these games with Queen. "Rock You" and "Champions" are played at EVERY sporting event...

Prince is ripping it up. Mad props, as the kids say.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:08 PM

Mike, can u believe this? My man has a dorag on his head......ok, I'll say this, much better show than I gave him credit for....better than J. Timberlake and (sigh) Janet.....there it is I said it.

Posted by: Chris | February 4, 2007 08:08 PM

Are you kidding me? Prince? Why? I wish I had some snow to shovel or grass to mow. Something

Posted by: Carter | February 4, 2007 08:08 PM

Amazing the way his guitar plays, even when his pick is nowhere near it. Must be a magical guitar. No expense spared.

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:09 PM

that's a big ... symbol.

Posted by: anonymous | February 4, 2007 08:09 PM

There is rain splashing at Prince's feet. Wow. This is cool.

MARCHING BAND

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:09 PM

Classhic Prince...GREAT!!! can anyone tell which college band that is? Mad props for him

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 08:10 PM

Call me un-American, but I hate marching bands.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 08:10 PM

OUT OF THE WAY AMATEURS....HERE COMES MAJOR F'N' WALTER ROBERTS!!!!!!!!!!!

FROM STAFFORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MAJOR FN WALTER ROBERTS (FROM STAFFORD) | February 4, 2007 08:10 PM

Mike, do you feel like it was an injustice to Monk that Irvin got in and he did not?

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 08:10 PM

A huge stage, a marching band and a ton of people running around and dancing ... ON A WET FIELD.

Isn't this going to destroy that field?

Posted by: absurd | February 4, 2007 08:11 PM

I guess Prince doesn't have enough good original songs.

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 08:11 PM

Is that a napkin from the catering tray? Prince is a mad guitarist!

Posted by: Tom | February 4, 2007 08:11 PM

Prince and Springsteen should do some kind of performance seminar for the young'uns so that they know how to do it.

Posted by: Erin | February 4, 2007 08:12 PM

SMACK, did you just try to sneak in a LEGIT question up here? hahahahaaaaa

I'm trying to polish off this pitcher of stout and go back to Hammerhead,. whchi was much better. I am hosed.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:13 PM

WALT FANTASIZES BOUT BEDDING PRINCE ONCE THE OL' BALLGAME IS OVERRRR!!

YEAHHHAAWWW!

Posted by: MAJOR FN WALTER ROBERTS (FROM STAFFORD) | February 4, 2007 08:13 PM

Cindy re: marching bands the only good marching band is one from a (really trying to be PC here)southern, traditionally black college. they just get it done! you did see "drumline" didn't you?

agree about the music but I do think he is singing live, but maybe music recorded. can't blame him given the weather.

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 08:13 PM

Did prince just go 3rd person?

Posted by: Carter | February 4, 2007 08:14 PM

This is the best night ever, with the rain and Prince and the game....
Wilbon will post a fresh entry when Prince finishes.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 08:14 PM

Has this Prince thing been about 8 minutes too long or am I hallucinating?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 4, 2007 08:14 PM

Why is Prince doing all covers?

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:15 PM

Prince is a god.

Posted by: Beks | February 4, 2007 08:15 PM

OK the night is complete!! Purple Rain.

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 08:15 PM

Chopped Liver - you must obviously be a guitar hero, what with your comments and all. Have you ever heard of fingering the frets? Retard.

Posted by: Shemp | February 4, 2007 08:16 PM

Prince, short ribs, family - how much better can a half time get?

Posted by: merzydoats | February 4, 2007 08:16 PM

They just managed to make him look tall using that clever light and curtain trick. He was up around 5' 8" there.

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 08:16 PM

Prince: Still getting it done!! wahoo

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 08:18 PM

damn... knew Prince was talented, but hes a damn great axe hanlder...

Posted by: moondag | February 4, 2007 08:18 PM

So Cindy, the Burger King Animated Marching Band is out of the question?

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 08:18 PM

They should just play the second half two weeks after the Pro Bowl at this point.

Posted by: SMACK | February 4, 2007 08:19 PM

As eccentric as he is, you never get the feeling that Prince is being anyone other than himself on stage. Even with the cheesy light-sticks-on-marching-band effects. He's such a great live performer.

Posted by: Erin | February 4, 2007 08:19 PM

Bummer - I was hoping some time during his show, there would be 1000 screaming kids on the field wearing raspberry berets. Not to be.

Shemp - have a drink and chill.

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:21 PM

OK, Prince can shred a guitar!

Ok, he mixed Purple Rain with Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Foo Fighters, and Jimi Hendrix!

Prince is a God amond men. And how perfect was it that it RAINED during Purple Rain. Wilbon, you sure you didn't order that up when you flew back from Miami?

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 08:21 PM

Prince writes music for everybody. There were a couple of covers but without doing my homework, I would be willing to bet he wrote "Best of You". Outside of being an unbelievable performer (if you get a chance to see him live, don't miss it), he's a Grammy winning songwriter too.

Posted by: Joel K | February 4, 2007 08:21 PM

It may have been the FAMU marching band - they win lots of awards.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:21 PM

hey Cindy ur great! Do you need an assistant? where can I apply?

Posted by: Chris | February 4, 2007 08:22 PM

Ah, Joel K, that's right. I forgot that. He is an amazing musician.

I'm glad I TiVo'd the game, because I'm definitely watching that Prince performance again.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 08:23 PM

Hey, you guys are petiful blogging. You should be worried!

Just drink the beer and wine, have some tasty food and enjoy it. Forget the blogging.

Posted by: blogging?? | February 4, 2007 08:23 PM

I think the light-shadow-on-sheet effect of Prince and his oddly shaped guitar was Prince's little joke on the CBS censors.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:25 PM

Prince just rocks the house, great tribute to Jimi Hendrix with the "All Along the Watchtower."

The best halftime show since Up With People.

Posted by: Larry from Ashburn | February 4, 2007 08:26 PM

Ocho- caught that too. Gotta wonder if he planned that. Did you notice how quickly they cut away from that angle?

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:26 PM

isn't Watchtower a Dylan song?

Posted by: Chopped Liver | February 4, 2007 08:27 PM

Still LMAO - I am quite sure Prince planned it, since it can be written off as innocent and coincidental, if necessary.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:29 PM

Yes, "Watchtower" was written by Dylan, popularized by Hendrix.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 4, 2007 08:30 PM

Yeah, Watchtower is Dylan.
Hendrix covers it.
Also recommend Neil Young's version.

Posted by: Musical accuracy | February 4, 2007 08:31 PM

I'm getting sleepy is this game ending soon?

Posted by: Tom Pfaff | February 4, 2007 09:15 PM