Super Bowl Sunday With Michael Wilbon & Tony Kornheiser
The Bloggers

Tony's Update

Tony Kornheiser

It's 6:43 on Friday night and I'm in the office and Cindy shows me how many of you freaks have responded to my opening statement, my mission statement as it were. Some of you want some info on the radio deal. On Tuesday, Feb. 20, I'll start. I'll have Nigel with me. I'll have my friend, Nancy, with me. And we'll start at 8:30 in the morning and the show will stink. People who think that I'm somehow going to change the fortunes of Washington Post radio are insane. The only thing I'll promise you is that when I'm on, there won't always be more to the story. In fact, there will always be less to the story. Nigel had an idea to bring in some stooge from WTOP and have him to news updates, so I could interrupt him and make him nuts. Of course, I thought that was a great idea, so maybe instead of just traffic and weather, we'll have some news. But it won't be front-page news. If you want front-page news, buy the paper. As for this blog, join me here Sunday. I'll be home, calling Cindy [Imagine my delight!]. Wilbon will be in Cleveland blogging himself. The Cheeseboy will be somewhere doing whatever he does. Vaya con Dios. Tony
P.S. Dan Levy, a solid radio listener for years, is designing T-shirts to go with the radio launch. Profits, as always, will go to D.C. Cap. So that pleases me. Buy a shirt. Buy two. It wouldn't kill ya.

By Tony Kornheiser |  February 2, 2007; 6:42 PM ET  | Category:  Tony Kornheiser
Previous: Tony Announces Blog Intent | Next: Wilbon Checks In

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Dear Tony,

Your return to radio has been greatly anticipated. Will you be made available on XM? Please tell me you will. If not offered on satellite will there be an I-Pod download option made available? Down loading your show will force me to take the gadget out of the box as I have an aversion to technology also. I have found you, Wilbon, and others of your ilk an inspiration. My spare time during the past six weeks has been spent submitting articles to our local paper covering high school sports with my wife serving as photographer. Listening to you on the radio reminded me of dreams I had as a youth that were put on hold while life unfolded. I hated the Monday Night Football gig because its on to late in the east and deprived the loyal radio listening audience of your daily musings. I am glad it turned out well for you because I wish you all the best and Golic is a dope. Thank you for all you do.

Jeff and Libby Bergman
mibergman@charter.net

Posted by: Jeff Bergman | February 3, 2007 11:37 AM

Mr. Tony and Mike

You two are the only ones who could persuade me to watch my computer and the game at the same time. Tony, I think you will find my second hometown (Miami!!) far better than that armpit to the north. Afterwards go down to Key West (born theree) and rock baby!!

Posted by: A Hardwick | February 3, 2007 12:47 PM

Unfortunately, A, Tony is not in Miami. He's here in D.C. Hence his willingness to give us his undivided attention.
Jeff and Libby, I believe the show will be carried on XM, but I'll have to doublecheck with T. It certainly will be simulcast on The Post's "Internets" site.

Posted by: Cindy | February 3, 2007 05:26 PM

A Wilbon/Kornheiser blog will definitely give Redskins Insider a run for its money. I'm already torn.

The Redskins should hire a GM.

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | February 4, 2007 03:27 AM

Darrell Green should withdraw his name from consideration until Art Monk gets in.

The Redskins should hire a GM.

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | February 4, 2007 03:51 AM

I had never heard of Tony Korheiser until this year when you started popping up on MNF. I thought, "Who is this guy?" Surely MNF would drop this format for something less scattered and more meaningful and no, talking with actors and such is not meaningful to me. So why the ratings boost? Americans love MNF. You could probably put a revolving cast in there and as long as the camera work is good and someone calls the plays we could tune out the nonsense that you provided, especially that canned monologue at the beginning. Can't tell you how much I hated that. It got to the point where I knew it would be one minute of pennance that we would suffer before the start of the game. We tolerate it. Did you know mute buttons come with timers? SO then, one might ask, why is MNF so successful is not for the three of you? Moving the game a half hour earlier. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!! Congratulations MNF.

Posted by: Mark | February 4, 2007 06:48 AM

Tony, congrats on surviving the constant blathering of Theisman on MNF...it was great to see you occasionally carve him up like a Butterball on Thanksgiving. Since ESPN was going to bring in "special guests" (ala Jamie Fox) anyway who had absolutely nothing to do with the game, it was enjoyable to watch you lead the banter with them (as opposed to Tirico, or, God forbid, that stiff Theisman). Welcome back to the airwaves!!! (PS - you're invited to my birthday bash this coming Friday when my boys return home to smoke cigars with their Dad as we sip Johnny Walker Blue)

Posted by: Mike Nagle | February 4, 2007 07:46 AM

Hey Tony, do you have the guts to out the pathectic sportswriters who refuse to enshrine Art Monk? These same hypocrites who cry every time an athlete gets busted for something and then turn around and induct a crackhead criminal? What gives your lot the right to say who gets in and who doesn't? None of you have ever set foot on an NFL football field.

Posted by: PissedOffSkinsFan | February 4, 2007 09:02 AM

Tony,

Congrats on all the success - it is well deserved. I am a former "Postie", from the advertising side, now living in South Florida and sure wish you were working the Super Bowl. I would rather listen to you than most of the commentators out there.

By the way, you are a good looking guy, just do us one favor - get rid of the comb over. Even if you have to shave your head like Wilbon! Trust me you will look younger and even more handsome on TV! This is not a personal attack - just a friendly suggestion.

Posted by: Steve Hill | February 4, 2007 09:11 AM

Are we going to hear "Tony Tony" like we did on MNF and Andy Polleys place?
I mean they play "Amy" when the Reliable Source shows up.
Maybe you should be more enthusiastic about things that are more localized with a comedic note of sarcasm like before you hit it big time.
Talk about those jackasses from down under that own the Dulles Greenway toll road and want to charge almost $5.00 a trip on that strip of road. Or why Tropicana has so many different types of OJ? Thats the stuff that Tony Tony is made of, I would also like to hear a little about Nick Faldo's debut on the Golf Channel.
Keep it fresh keep it real.
As your mentor on the radio once said..."I'm Out."

Welcome Back Tony.

Posted by: Keith Berry | February 4, 2007 09:25 AM

Hey Tony, here's some quick advice if you want to come off as a blogger: Use wacky emoticons like a colon and a parentheses mark [It would look like this - :) That's a smile]. Using emoticons will make you look 20 years younger.

Second tip: Use abbreviations to connotate emotion. LOL, for instance, which means "Laughing Out Loud." Or ROFL - "Rolling on the Floor Laughing." Or even BRB: "Be Right Back."

Remember, you want to overuse these. I wouldn't be surprised if one of your entries just used these abbreviations and emoticons, because you just want to tell eveyone how you feel!

Next, we'll go over the subtle nuances of MySpace...

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 09:44 AM

Bill Lehecka,

After that, maybe someone can teach Tony geekspeak. So he can walk around saying OWNED! all day long.

So for instance, tonight when Alex Brown sacks Peyton Manning out of his sneakers, that is when you can declare 'HE JUST GOT OWNED!'.

Or pwn3d, among the internet geeks.

Blackaces

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 09:58 AM

Tony has a MySpace?

Posted by: Jay | February 4, 2007 10:01 AM

Hey, LaVar! Jason may post a quick entry to let you know how his Saturday night went with the Penthouse Pets, but, come gametime, he'll be busy. So you'll have TK and Mikey. That way, there'll always be a blogging place for you.
Thanks so much, Bill, for bringing up emoticons and Myspace. I'm gonna have to explain those now....45 minutes of my life that I'll never get back...

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 10:03 AM

Cindy, I'm only trying to help. TK just added 35% more credibility into this Blog with that knowledge.

Blackaces, Yes... Owned, or Pwned, should enter Mr. Tony's lexicon, especially during MNF broadcasts. "Pwned Malenga!"

Jay, no, TK doesn't have a MySpace. That's like, Honors Internet...

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 10:32 AM

Bill,

Why did you have to go and bring up the series of tubes and emoticons? Are you trying to turn Tony into some whackjob on the internet?

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 11:48 AM

Cindy,

Are you sure that you all in DC don't want some of the weather we're having here in Chicago? Mayeb we can send it your way. It's currently -4F, which isn't exactly the type of weather I'm used to back in the DC area. As I look out my window, I can see the Chicago River, which is COMPLETELY frozen.

And if the Bears win, I will try to give up to the minute reports about whether or not Bears fans have burned this city to the ground.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 11:53 AM

Now we just have to get Mr. Tony an Xbox 360 and a gamertag.

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 11:54 AM

Satchmo,

Surely you watched the CBS Super Bowl Commercial special. Did you have the Mean Joe Greene commercial as #1? Really, that's what this game is all about. Wilbon can rail on and on about defensive schemes and play calling, we know you are here to breakdown the "coverage" on the Go-Daddy commercial. It looks like a clah-sic.

Posted by: Joel K | February 4, 2007 02:34 PM

I hope Prince doesn't have a wardrobe malfunction. I might go blind.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 4, 2007 02:54 PM

hey there! keep your chicago weather!!!! i'm here at work; wilbon has filed an entry. tk still eating english muffins and thinking about the first johnnie walker blue, no doubt.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 03:11 PM

To all mighty Satchmo: welcome via Cindy to cyberspace. You already know the minions are gathering waiting on your return. Would like to fill you on what has gone on in your absence, including the news that there are 2 websites dedicated to all things Tony. News Channel 8 spun off of thiswebsitestinks.com We are all excited to get our radio groove back. While waiting for the commercials I am baking cookies and watching the puppy bowl on animal planet. did not see any dogs like maggie (not that there is another like her) but will keep looking. you stink (stink) and I love you for it!

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 03:34 PM

Mr. Tony

Just to remind you, Lehecka is insane.

Posted by: Nerd | February 4, 2007 03:42 PM

Lehecka insane? That's like saying Mr. Tony likes JWB.

Posted by: Mike G | February 4, 2007 03:47 PM

Kitty, what kind of cookies? We like cookies here at The Washington Post. Could you bring some by? Halftime would be good for us.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 03:48 PM

Calling lehecka insane is an insult to the insane.

sycophant? that's a different story.

Posted by: andy millman | February 4, 2007 03:52 PM

Is TK going to stay up for the whole game?

Posted by: anonymous | February 4, 2007 03:53 PM

Hi Cindy,
I am well aware of Mr.Tony's sweet tooth. I did bake chocolate chip and sugar cookies and given where I live in PA it will be haltime until I get there. I will have to bake several batches and mail them down (actually could use hubby's discount and express mail them). Will get baking. I will take requests for any that might be yours or Mr. Tony's favorite.

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 03:54 PM

Halftime is a little late for us. We'll be too busy committing journalism then....
It's very sweet of you to offer to send us cookies, but we can't accept them! God, I'll bet they're good, though.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 04:00 PM

When did this blog turn into a discussion of my sanity? Besides, I'm not insane. I got this.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 04:04 PM

TK,
David Letterman called....he wanted to say thanks for taking Lehecka off his hands.

Posted by: Nerd | February 4, 2007 04:09 PM

Won't cookies sent to the WAPO end up getting irradiated? Or did they finally stop doing that to all their mail?

Posted by: andy millman | February 4, 2007 04:12 PM

We still do all that stuff to our mail.

Posted by: Cindy | February 4, 2007 04:20 PM

Tony, I'm going to have to warn you about padding your post count on your blog. If this continues you will have to be banned. Consider yourself warned.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 04:27 PM

If there's anything Lehecka knows about, it's banning people from websites.

Posted by: andy millman | February 4, 2007 04:31 PM

Cindy, sorry you cannot accept the cookies. Actually I am finding hard to believe the Mr.Tony actually let you type a refusal of free food!! But be that as it may. There are actually several of us in our little group that are quite the bakers and if there is a way that we may bestow baked goods on himself and you of course, we would be happy to oblige. Does Mr.Tony get to preview any of the commercials? I am hoping for some more of the clydesdale football game series. The streaker last year was the best. I think I also read that several of the best from the past would be making reappearences?

Posted by: kitty | February 4, 2007 04:49 PM

1) Ask this question: Were the bannings deserved? I would bet they were.

2) Is this why you have the hostility? You want to be included. Group hug, everyone, group hug...

Enough of this. Let's remember why we are here people. We're here to make fun of Katie Couric's hair.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 04:51 PM

Guys, as a former TV sports critic for the Newark Star-Ledger you should not complain about anything, because there are millions of red-blooded Americans and even Wall Street guys who would trade places with you. Worse, you might have to work for a living. I left newspapers in 1997, good riddance, then I tried working for a living, oy! Now I am back writing boxing stories for the internet, and MMA (ugh) for Showtime/Elite XC. I have not watched a Stuper Bowl since I was forced to watch it as TV sports critic. I only root for the Giants, and alas there are no Super Bowls on their horizon now that they have resigned Coughlan. Nice to see the Giant brain trust pick Eli and let Roetheslberger (can never spell) go 12th.

As for your moaning and groaning and put down of blogs, I read the NYT, the LAT and WaPo every day, plus several political blogs. The NYT has two very entertaing blogs, especially Carpetbagger, who gets to let it all hang out at the Grey Lady. I moaned and groaned when I had to give my typewriter up for a computer. Times are changing fellows, blogs have their place in the internet world of news.
P.S. I won't be watching this bowl. No story line that interests me. I love watching Rothelswhatever his name is, so I watched the last one.

Posted by: Nat | February 4, 2007 04:59 PM

OMG!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Add that to your next podcast.

Posted by: MindyK | February 4, 2007 05:06 PM

never been to your website. never want to go.

I only know what I have heard on the web about the dictatorial way your site is run.

Posted by: andy millman | February 4, 2007 05:12 PM

Andy, it's a shame that you have developed an opinion about me through hearsay. Stop on by, and you'll realize it isn't as bad as the people who have shaped your opinions have made it. Their problem with the board was that they refused to follow the rules, thus making it a place that was exclusive rather than inclusive.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 05:19 PM

Cindy, do you have any favorite commercials or do you watch the game for the sporting event that it is?

I am not ignoring you Satchmo, but since Cindy is working so hard, I thought she should be included in the conversation.

Posted by: Kitty | February 4, 2007 05:21 PM

Let's hope your website is better than your emails.

Posted by: Craig | February 4, 2007 05:23 PM

Craig, it is. I don't know how long I can keep up this scam of people thinking I write funny e-mails and posts. The clock is running out.

Posted by: Bill Lehecka | February 4, 2007 05:29 PM

I should have added it wouldn't take much.

Posted by: Craig | February 4, 2007 05:32 PM

that clock ran out at least 3 years ago.

Posted by: anonymous | February 4, 2007 05:43 PM

TK, do you think espn will let Bill run the email machine for MNF next season? He was so sure he had that job last year.

Posted by: dvair | February 4, 2007 05:56 PM

Tony is vastly overrated. Hopefully, Nancy will be a snicky.

Posted by: Steve Czaban | February 5, 2007 03:32 PM

I just wanted to say that I can't wait for the start of the Radio Show. I've been a regular internet listener of your last two radio shows. Please keep waving the Canadian Flag on PTI.

Ian from Simcoe, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: Ian | February 5, 2007 03:48 PM

Tony, it'll be good to have you back. With you and the Nationals, WTWP may be the only commercial D.C. station I'll listen to all spring and summer (except when I need traffic and weather; then I'll go to sister station WTOP).

Posted by: Vincent | February 6, 2007 03:57 PM