Rove, Libby, and Tom DeLay's Mug Shot

Please forgive my tardiness with this post -- I'm doing that whole working-while-sick thing and all the coughing and sniffling and medicine-taking is really cutting into my blogging time. But for now, onward!

The big news in the Plame leak case today is that Karl Rove told the grand jury that Scooter Libby, Cheney's top aide, may have been the one who initially informed him that Joe Wilson's wife worked for the CIA.

Of course, the key question in the investigation remains, "Was a crime actually committed?" The law is very narrow about the ways in which unmasking an undercover agent can constitute a crime, and it's still unlear whether the actions of Libby, Rove or anyone else rose to that high threshold. Nonetheless, Rove's testimony "confirmed that Rove and Libby were involved in a conversation about [Plame] before her identity became public. The disclosure seemed to further undermine the White House's contention early in the case that neither man was in any way involved in unmasking Plame," according to the Post story.

Wonkette observes: "WaPo has all but fingered Mr. Green, in the library, with the candlestick."

* * *

Here it is, Tom Delay's booking photo. I don't think I've ever seen a better mug shot. It looks like it was taken on the campaign trail, doesn't it? You can practically hear him:

Former U.S. House Majority leader Tom DeLay is pictured in this Harris County Sheriff's Office booking photograph, taken October 20, 2005. (REUTERS)

Hi, I'm Tom DeLay. I am just THRILLED to be here. Could NOT be happier! Boy howdy, what a nice bunch of folks you are.

Free Republic, by the way, is incensed that DeLay wasn't allowed to be booked sans mug shot. I can see their conflict of interest concern, but I am skeptical that a judge who matched DeLay's political persuasion would have made a different ruling -- is it really all that common for people to be booked without being photographed? Seems like 1) the photograph would be pretty integral to the whole booking process, and 2) some exception must have been made somewhere along the line, given that the big sign displaying name and serial number isn't there.

I admit I'm not an expert in the booking process, so perhaps I'm missing something. I do think the photo needs an entertaining caption, though. Any suggestions?

By Emily Messner |  October 20, 2005; 5:24 PM ET  | Category:  Misc.
Previous: The Facts: Ethics and DeLay, Rove, Abramoff, etc. | Next: DeLay and Redistricting (and More About the Mug Shot)

Comments

He comes across as a thug and a bully. I have read all of the articles written about him and Abramoff --and the Christian --(stops at my wallet) Ralph Reed -- and I hope they all go to jail. Elected officials of either party that commit crimes should be scrutinized and reviewed by their peers, and if guilty then "fired" by those of us that pay their salaries. We work very hard for our tax dollars and don't want them wasted any more by the "Stepford" members of the House and Senate in both parties. It is obvious if you do not write a check to the RNC or DNC - you are doomed and forgotten in the halls of Congress and this administration.

And if that Old fart Hastings -- is not going to bring him up on ethics charges --then he should go to.....

Posted by: Marilyn Garis | October 20, 2005 10:15 PM

All I can think of is Cartman from South Park saying, "I hate you guys."

Posted by: Paul | October 21, 2005 12:52 PM

How about "Ha HAA!! I know I'm getting away with this!"

Posted by: Devorah | October 21, 2005 02:45 PM

This ia a man who only smiles for political gain. You can see the smile desparately trying to escape to a new life with a new owner (who posseses warm blood and a beating heart).

Posted by: Harkadahl | October 22, 2005 06:32 AM

New Mug Shots Shots. Reserved for NeoCons.
I bet that Rove and Libby would like that.

Posted by: Joshua | October 22, 2005 06:50 AM

New Mug Shots. Reserved for NeoCons.
I bet that Rove and Libby would like that.

Posted by: Joshua | October 22, 2005 07:05 AM

nobody here recognizes that this is what procescutor ronnie earl does. as an arm of the liberal democrats, he finds small bits of info and tries to tie it to a big fish (conservative dem/republican). he trumps up charges. it is nothing new. why do you think he loses all of these indictments??
talk about wasting gov't money.

Posted by: moses | October 22, 2005 10:23 AM

Ronnie Earl stands for the law, his actions are apolitical, the fact that he's tried politicians is irrelevant. If you did some research, you'd find he's also pursued the mob, terrorists and was appointed by the Bush administration. If you think a prosecutor upholding this countries laws and fighting injustices is a waste of tax payers money then you my friend are a moron.

What I'd like to know is if anyone found other mugshots generated by this precinct, or if indeed Delay chose this precinct because they had such excellent mugshots.

Posted by: johno | October 22, 2005 06:24 PM

www.karlrovemugshot.com Ready and waiting

Posted by: Mark K., Austin TX | October 22, 2005 07:00 PM

Moses, if you have been reading the papers at all you know that Ronnie Earl has indicted 15 elected officials and 12 of them were Democrats. If that makes him an "arm of the liberal Democrats," I wonder what it would take to make him a Republican.

Posted by: Sunlight | October 22, 2005 07:23 PM

Posted by: Sunlight | October 22, 2005 07:24 PM

Only in USA

Posted by: Ross | October 23, 2005 03:27 AM

How did we get from "Who told reporters that Valerie Plame worked NOC at the CIA?" to "Which reporter told Libby/Rove she worked at the Agency?" Can anyone name any of the Directors of the CIA from previous administrations? One of them was George HW Bush.

Posted by: Van | October 23, 2005 10:29 AM

Aah c'mon leave Pop's alone!

For as much as the American People founded him to be without personality, he respected "The Laws of United States"

When he was told to pull out of Kuwait by the UN he did - son dismantle the UN

He was the Head Director of CIA I really don't think he would had did that.

It's Dick Cheney and his family who actually runs the White House and its Dick Cheney who have a grind to axe with the CIA for making H pulled out of Kuwait

Posted by: dassy | October 24, 2005 11:01 AM

"I can't believe I avoided the ruler board and case number plack by promising a simple cabninet position."

or
I'm bulldog, dammit. I'll rip them to shreds. Oh, you're ready. "Trust me" (click)

Posted by: Pete | October 24, 2005 11:57 AM

Isn't the person in the mug shot supposed to be holding a sign with their name and/or number on it? Then no caption would be needed. BTW, it looks like Tom got a fresh dye job for his mug shot.

Posted by: Teacher in the Rye | October 24, 2005 11:59 AM

Posted by: chase | October 24, 2005 12:15 PM

What happened to the height lines in the picture? Has Central Booking changed its background to match Central Casting? Is there anyone out there that believes that this is really a booking mug shot? All booking suspects should be so lucky...

Posted by: | October 24, 2005 12:51 PM

" hot tub tommy is getting in as soon as this is over; now mix me up a Katrina- margaRita "

What the hell does this even mean? jesus christ

Posted by: O RLY?? | October 24, 2005 01:17 PM

Here in the South, we'd call that a sh!t-eatin' grin!

Posted by: | October 24, 2005 02:27 PM

Is there anything in or associated with the Washington Post that is not anti-American, anti-Christian,
or anti-Heterosexual??????????????

Posted by: The Lonemule | October 24, 2005 04:53 PM

Where's the name/serial number? The profile shot? Does his privilege extend to the mug shot procedure, too?

Boy what i would have given to be the guy who hung the placard around his neck. Pete named it a "ruler board and case number." But I guess no one had the nerve or inclination. I'd have paid real money for that experience.

That just sucks out loud. This photo looks like it came off a "Wholesome Tom's" chicken soup can. Who accepted that bribe, and how much was it?

Photoshop experts, how about sending otter357@hotmail a composite with correct case number. My whole family are unrepentant republicans, who would suck the eyeballs of a poor person for a grape. They need more reasons to block my emails.

Posted by: Otter357 | October 24, 2005 05:22 PM

Lonemule:

"AMENDMENT I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I guess you can read "anti-heterosexual" into anything if you are ignorant enough -- but as for anti-American and anti-Christian...I think you need to read (or have read to you) the 1st Amendment to the Constitution (of the United States.) Everything I read here is exactly what that 214-year-old (talk about "conservative") law is all about.

I'll tell you what: you don't tell me that the Administration is doing a good job and I won't tell you what church to belong to. Fair enough?

Posted by: Bob (In Denver) | October 24, 2005 05:31 PM

Not sure who Johno is talking about, but Ronnie Earle was elected as Travis County District Attorney in 1976 and has held the post ever since. He certainly wasn't appointed by the Bush administration. He's also presented sufficient evidence to grand juries to indict more Democrats than Republicans. If you have and abuse political power in Texas, Ronnie will be on your trail.

Posted by: Rich (in Austin) | October 24, 2005 06:45 PM

Where are the voices....

I had it in mind to write about Jesus... koans and the like ...

I CAN't ...

Why?

I was listening to a discussion between Ritter and S. Hurst.... they got to talking about contractors in Iraq.... The bombing of another 200,000 person city during the last Katrina ... THE US is paying for death squads run by a contractor and Iraqi killers... .. . yes, it creates a sad tender silence ... the same thing that happened in Chile....

We the USA are paying for people to kill to induce fear....

Where are the voices????

Posted by: john cook | October 24, 2005 07:29 PM

Hey, Bob (in Denver)is everyone in that state a big liberal looser. Don't you guys believe in anything. Tom Delay is America's last hope for a normal nation. Let's get rid of the weirdos and everyone from those west of the Mississippi states with extreem body odor!!!!!!!!!!

Remember: Love The Lonemule....boing!!!!!

Posted by: The Lonemule | October 24, 2005 08:49 PM

Check it out! www.karlrovemushot.com

Posted by: Karl Rove Mug Shot | October 25, 2005 01:36 AM

Posted by: Karl Rove Mug Shot | October 25, 2005 01:37 AM

Vois.com Loves The Debate! Find it daily on the cover of Vois.com the internet blog search engine..

Posted by: | October 27, 2005 09:49 AM