Why Am I Still Getting E-mails from John Kerry?

I got an e-mail yesterday from John Kerry urging me to vote in the Virginia election today.

Why am I still getting e-mails from John Kerry?

You know at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off -- after the credits have rolled and a wounded Mr. Rooney has pulled off in the school bus with the gummy bear girl -- when Ferris comes down the hall and says, "You're still here? It's over! Go home. Go!"

That's how I feel about John Kerry. It's time to go back to being the junior senator from Massachusetts. It's over. Go home. Go!

If this were November 2004, I would not be complaining -- we media types end up on all sorts of mailing lists. (I also get a lot of e-mail about Eurasia.) But it's been a whole year. Please step off the stage. Donate/surrender your e-mail list to a new generation of Democratic leaders -- and no, I don't mean Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

It's fine for the governing party to have leaders who know the rules of the game on Capitol Hill. But the opposition party should be breaking new ground, challenging the conventional wisdom, doing something like the Republicans did with the Contract With America in 1994.

Check out those budget provisions, eh? My favorite is the "Fiscal Responsibility Act." That one lasted about five minutes. Guess since the Constitution was never amended to require a balanced budget, it would be unreasonable to expect the Republicans to stick to their oft-trumpeted commitment to curbing government waste. The Contract stated that the GOP would pursue "A balanced budget/tax limitation amendment ... to restore fiscal responsibility to an out- of-control Congress, requiring them to live under the same budget constraints as families and businesses."

If my family could get away with having an $8 trillion debt, we'd be living in a much bigger house. And an indoor/outdoor Jacuzzi -- possibly multi-level, with waterfalls and stuff -- would be required. Heck, I could buy a $10,000 jacuzzi for everyone in the country and still have a good $5 trillion left. (Of course, my grandchildren would curse my memory, but that's a small price to pay ...)

What would your family do with its $8 trillion?

By Emily Messner |  November 8, 2005; 7:43 AM ET  | Category:  Beltway Perspectives
Previous: Ode to Civilized Debate | Next: The Facts: U.S. Treatment of Detainees

Comments

-Dick

Posted by: Dick Cheney | November 8, 2005 10:27 AM

Hookers and blow

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 10:29 AM

^^^^

Pegged it.

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 10:50 AM

I,too, continue to get e-mails from John Kerry and also think about him passing the list on. But to whom? Maybe Mark Warner? Hasn't announced yet (but can you think of a Democrat that any Republican likes, besides him?).
Who should wear the mantle of leadership for Democrats?

Posted by: M. Hayes | November 8, 2005 10:59 AM

I hear that a new film on "The Munsters" is in the works. I know a great guy for the lead role!

Posted by: John Edwards | November 8, 2005 11:10 AM

Grandchildren??!! What do they care? If they learn anything from the stunning examples this generation has given them, it is not to worry about deficits...Just keep spending. And while you're at it, don't forget to cut taxes. Let's see if they can wrack up a deficit twice the $8 trillion! Let's see how high this sucker can go.

Posted by: C. Krack | November 8, 2005 11:19 AM

Keep your laws out of my virgina!

Posted by: Hillary Clintor | November 8, 2005 11:40 AM

He obviously thinks he's still running for the nomination. Clinton-Warner all the way!!

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 11:43 AM

Posted by: sonya | November 8, 2005 11:54 AM

Sonya wrote:

"All you need to do is unsubscribe and you'll never get an email from him and quit bitching!"

I HAVE!!! And I still get the little buggers in my inbox. I have even added them to my spam filter and I STILL get them! So, Sonya, enough of your "quit bitching" - I'll quit bitching when John Kerry's people take me off his list and stop evading my spam filter.

By the way, it is worth mentioning: I DIDN'T EVEN SIGN UP FOR THE KERRY E-MAIL LIST IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

And that's not to even mention that pain in the Inbox, Moveon.org, who are just as bad. At least their e-mails are no longer turning up...

Derek.

Posted by: Derek | November 8, 2005 01:01 PM

Sonya wrote:

Derek.

Posted by: Derek | November 8, 2005 01:01 PM

I forgot to answer Emily's question: What would I do with $8 trillion.

Well, I've always fancied having my own nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. And maybe a large garage to park it in.

As for the change, I'll have to think more about it.

Derek.

Posted by: Derek | November 8, 2005 01:07 PM

I really don't think it's fair to accuse John Kerry of bothering you with emails urging you to vote. While he may not be the party's standard-bearer any longer, he is still a national voice with some very valid opinions and proposals. Would you prefer that he step off the stage and cry for four years like Al Gore? The man is doing his best to keep doing his best, and I think that's admirable. Leave him alone.

Posted by: Jake | November 8, 2005 01:27 PM

Posted by: Jake | November 8, 2005 01:29 PM

Typical concern from yet another Dem who has no clue what we really need to do to stay engaged in the party politic. John Kerry is still very much the leader of the Democratic party and should do exactly what he is doing, urging people to participate in the election. This will assist whatever democrat that runs for the presidency. Like others have said, if you don't want an email, unsubscribe and become uninformed and disconnected from the process.

Posted by: chris, falls church | November 8, 2005 01:33 PM

Good lord. Sonya had it right. Seems like you went looking to the bottom of your inbox to find something to write about. For many of us who voted for Kerry, still proudly display our "Kerry/Edwards" bumperstickers, and noted Fitzpatrick's comment about how he should have been passing out indictments in October 2004, an email from JK is like a note from "what could have, should have been". Until Dean or some other Dem can inspire you to react more thoughtfully, I suggest you keep reading those emails, even just to see which way the wind is blowing.

Posted by: Steve | November 8, 2005 01:41 PM

Posted by: Steve | November 8, 2005 01:42 PM

I have also clicked the "unsubscribe" but still get e-mails from the Kerry camp. (how many campers left in that camp, anyway?).

I wish John would take time away from sending e-mails and take the time to cast votes in the Senate. I watched the Roberts confirmation roll call vote, and Kerry didn't answer when his name was called. Guess he had Teddy K cast it for him.

Posted by: Matt Dooley | November 8, 2005 01:53 PM

I would campaign for world peace and run for the Mr. USA, though not necessarily in that order.

Posted by: Jorge | November 8, 2005 02:01 PM

What would I do with $8 trillion? I'd campaign for world peace and run for Mr. USA, although not necessarily in that order.

Posted by: Jorge | November 8, 2005 02:04 PM

12 months on from election 2004 Kerry e-mails only further anger and sadden me that we don't currently have a President Kerry. Hopefully wins for Corzine and Kaine will be the first step towards the end of Republican misrule in America. By the way, Republicans spent all of 1993 and most of 1994 attacking the Democrats agenda, ethics and corruption. The Contract came out (I believe)6-8 weeks before the 1994 election. Sound familiar. Keep your eyes open.

Posted by: Sean Kane | November 8, 2005 02:08 PM

Emily, it is exactly this type of thought that causes the media - you are apparently included - to miss the most important facts and repurcussions of any issue... the story never ends at the bottom of your copy submission.

Maybe if you looked further and harder.. or at least followed a story through to its conclusion you in the MSM would be more successful.

Bush lied. I'm Glad Kerry continues to beat the drum... he is a Senator, after all.

Hello? Are you there?

Posted by: Long Beach, CA | November 8, 2005 02:11 PM

PS... Emily- Look at your column title: "Taking on the Week's Big Issue: Capital Ethics"

Since the Post thinks Capital Ethics is only focused on one week out of the year its no wonder the Government sucks.

Please do try and be more complete, consistent, and close the loop on stories instead of ruinning from one headline to the next... and you guys complain about loss of readership.... ???

Posted by: Long Beach, CA | November 8, 2005 02:18 PM

Posted by: Long Beach, CA | November 8, 2005 02:19 PM

Heaven forbid someone do a get out the vote campaign. Don't you have better things to complain about? There are only about 8 trillion of them.

Posted by: What? | November 8, 2005 02:27 PM

Well, it's obvious why someone in Kerry's position is encouraging people to vote. What sort of disingenuous question is this? If you don't think Kerry is an influencial person, you really aren't qualified to be writing about politics. Obviously, you do know that Kerry is valuable in this role, so what point are you really attempting to hint at here?

Posted by: Tim | November 8, 2005 02:35 PM

Good on you.

I worked for Gov. Dean's campaign in Michigan when creatures like John
Kerry were attacking him for saying the truth (that the US was not safer
after the capture of Saddam Hussein and the war was morally, practically
and logistically wrong). I did not understand the media's hatred of Dean
(even before the "scream"). Anyways, I stopped working for or even
liking Dean after he endorsed Kerry. I voted for Nader on election day
as he was the only genuine anti-Iraq war candidate.

But my email address was farmed over to Kerry campaign's mailing list
and the spamming has not stopped since, in spite of my repeated attempts
to unsubscribe, I am still spammed by Kerry and sometimes, the DNC.

I am not a Democrat any longer but will support the Democrats if they
put up candidates with guts. And if they stop spamming me in the
interim, their stock will go up further.

Posted by: Robert | November 8, 2005 03:19 PM

Good on you.

I worked for Gov. Dean's campaign in Michigan when creatures like John Kerry were attacking him for saying the truth (that the US was not safer
after the capture of Saddam Hussein and the war was morally, practically and logistically wrong). I did not understand the media's hatred of Dean
(even before the "scream"). Anyways, I stopped working for or even liking Dean after he endorsed Kerry. I voted for Nader on election day
as he was the only genuine anti-Iraq war candidate.

But my email address was farmed over to Kerry campaign's mailing list and the spamming has not stopped since, in spite of my repeated attempts
to unsubscribe, I am still spammed by Kerry and sometimes, the DNC.

I am not a Democrat any longer but will support the Democrats if they put up candidates with guts. And if they stop spamming me in the interim, their stock will go up further.

Posted by: Robert | November 8, 2005 03:19 PM

Posted by: Kristian | November 8, 2005 03:40 PM

it is by focusing on our particular, insular objective in our own states, and abandoning the big picture for four years, only to be back to fight when it is too late, that gets the democratic party in the various pickles they find themselves in. i think kerry is attempting to unify dems in virginia, with the hope of a stronger voice in a traditionally republican state.

it's 2005. you're a blogger. it's just email, get over it.

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 03:46 PM

Of all the important issues that exist in the world today, the only thing you can think of to write about is an email that took all of two seconds to delete? Maybe you should try reading the paper you work for and choosing an issue that people care about instead of complaining about still getting emails. Would you rather that no one was reminded to vote and you had to cover an election that 10% of the electorate showed up for?

Do your job.

Posted by: Kris | November 8, 2005 03:46 PM

What a waste of cyber space and Washington Post dollars. Pure laziness on your part to write about something so stupid and meaningless. At least Art Buchwald had a great career before he began phoning it in. I guess you skipped that part and decided to skip ahead.

Posted by: Ben | November 8, 2005 04:01 PM

This country is in desparate need of someone to rally behind, who won't stab them in the back after they do so. Is such a person electable?

Posted by: FDR where are you? | November 8, 2005 04:11 PM

WIth $8 trillion, I'd buy you a clue.

Elections, secret CIA prisons, outing CIA officers, hurricanes, tornados, riots etc etc etc.

Thank GOD you're here to cover the stuff that really matters.

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 04:18 PM

Don't listen to the h8ers!!!!!111!!oneoneone!

You totally Wr0k!

Math makes my head hurt. Let's get some ice cream!

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 04:33 PM

Maybe all of you should stop getting so tickled about polarizing partisan issues like torture and CIA outings. Jeez, talk about a bunch of negative Nellies. Perhaps a trip to my [day spas] in [undisclosed eastern European countries] would lighten your spirits. Any takers?

Love the blog, Emmers, keep up the good work.

-Dick

Posted by: Dick Cheney | November 8, 2005 05:23 PM

Whatever!

Posted by: Guy | November 8, 2005 05:26 PM

You know, I felt the exact same way this weekend, getting unsolicited phone calls from George Allen and Rudi Giuliani, urging me to vote for the doofus who can't talk like he graduated from high school.

Posted by: JAS | November 8, 2005 05:38 PM

Shucks, Emmy! Running a little fever still? I was hoping you'd be feeling better by now. Well, some ibuprofen if things get achy.
Now, as for Mr. Kerry. I appreciate getting his messages still, knowing that someone has taken responsibility for staying on a thankless job. A year ago, he was telling the country stuff that no one (not you, of course) would pay attention to. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, finally America seems to be getting it. He brought up the issue that some hundreds of tons of extremely high explosive had "disappeared" in Iraq; geez, I wonder what's going into all those IEDs, car bombs and suicide bombs? 51% of America had its ears closed.
Now the message is coming home to roost. And ideas about how we might begin to extract ourselves from the nightmare in Iraq. And again no one wants to listen. What it takes, really, is a lot of people saying no to continued idiocy. So getting out the vote in Virginia is a good idea. And continuing to talk up the truth.
Cheers, and get well soon.

Posted by: Jazzman | November 8, 2005 05:42 PM

Look, I'm sure you are pretty smart. No really, I bet you are like brainy.

But here is a hint: You don't want Kerry's emails then unsubscribe

Posted by: hadenough | November 8, 2005 05:43 PM

I'm on board with you and this out-of-control spending that the Republicans are pushing through, but let's get real here. The Dems scream like stuck pigs whenever there's a hint of a cut (and they're not even real cuts - just reductions in the rate of growth).

Dems have never seen a problem they didn't want to throw money at and 40 years of Democrat-controlled Congress gave us nothing but an ever-increasing entitlement mentality and welfare state. And don't give me this "Clinton reformed welfare manure" - he did no such thing. He twice vetoed the very bill he signed, only signing it when it became obvious that the public demanded it and election time rolled around.

When you guys start figuring out that discipline and hard work are the answer to nearly all economic and social problems, then maybe you'll quit belly-aching and start pulling in the Right direction.

As far as I'm concerned, the Republicans are the lesser of two self-serving bureaucratic machines designed to do nothing more than win elections. However, the Democrat Party is an absolute nightmare.

Just take a look at what Democrat policies (as the current liberal Democrats are oriented) would bring us if they were unchecked - you only have to look as far as Western Europe with its double-digit unemployment, rampant anti-semitism, and declining population. This secular socialism that has become the "utopia" of the Left is failing and has failed everywhere it's been tried. Sometimes the right answer is not necessarily what makes us "feel good."

Yes, Republicans are creating record deficits, and it's really p-i-s-s-ing me off, but don't even start with me about tax cuts. It is a proven fact that tax cuts increase revenue to the Treasury because they stimulate the economy. Hell, JFK even said so - go look it up. It's economics 101. If you want a bigger government, I would think that you would be screaming for more tax cuts, but as I've always said, liberals only see the first layer of any complex issue. Never are the consequences and reactions of a dynamic economy ever taken into consideration.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to continue suffering foolish Democrats/Liberals as long as our educational system lags behind the rest of the industrialized world.

Posted by: Independent Conservative | November 8, 2005 06:28 PM

What would I do with 8 trillion dollars?

2 chicks at the same time!

Posted by: Oswald | November 8, 2005 06:37 PM

Way off and wrong and you're the problem. It's never "over". In Europe, you lose the election, you go onto form a shadow government in opposition and provide a running critique about how you would have done better. Do a good job, you might be up for another shot. Here in the U.S. they send you to academe or some place far away after you lose an election. Spain's Jose Maria Aznar lost three elctions before ruling effectively for eight years. Kerry has tried mightily for a year to forge an opposition in the face of endless complaints that the Democrats offer no alternative. Only the media's old habits and lack of imagination (that means you) prevent this from becoming a reality in the U.S.

Posted by: Stephen Siciliano | November 8, 2005 07:20 PM

Since when has a reminder to vote, to perfom a civic duty, been considered an act of hubris or desperation?

Since when has a former presidential nominee been considered anything less than a party spokesman, especially when the Washington Post covers them as so?

Since when has this repoter become so petty?

Posted by: Publius | November 8, 2005 07:39 PM

I want to comment on the recent news published in the Post, "FRIST, HASTERT CONSIDER PRISON LEAK PROBE."

When the Post reported that prisoners are being held in secret locations in Eastern Europe and elsewhere one would have thought the Bush Administration would ask hard questions about the legitimacy of this practice. After all, there have been anecdotal evidences of the existence of such prison facilities for quite some time. So, this is not a totally new disclosure.

And, what is the response of the Administration? An honest inquiry into the need to maintain such prisons? No, instead, what we see is just the opposite. Senate majority leader Bill Frist and Speaker Dennis Hastert want to gun for the whistle-blower. It is the classic case of ignoring the message and go after the messenger. The appropriate questions to be asked are: Why are we maintaining these secret prisons outside US territory? Do these prisons torture their inmates? If so, what is our complicity in the matter?Do these prisons really serve our national security or, on the contrary, endanger it actually by spreading the impression that when it comes to torture we are no better than Saddam?

On his recent visit to Panama City Prez Bush decalred solemnly, "We do not torture!" May be. Then, why not come clean on the existence of these secret prisons and show to everyone that prisoners are not tortured there?

So, instead of worrying that the prison leak can have national security implications, and instead of trying to investigate which whistle-blower leaked the news of the existence of secret American prisons overseas for the interrogation of detainess, let us get into the serious business of finding out whether such overseas prisons are necessary at all, and what message they send to the rest of the world.

A substantive discussion on the rationale behind the existence and operation of these prisons would be much more productive than taking aim at an honest whistle-blower.

Do you similarities between the Valerie Plame leak and this prison leak?

Posted by: Abe | November 8, 2005 07:46 PM

I unsubscribed and it worked! I was a precinct captain for Kerry in Florida, and sort of glad he's gone. He really thinks he got such a high vote total because people liked him. No, they hated Bush. With 8 trillion, I'd buy Texas and cut it loose from the rest of the U.S. The two presidents they've given us, Johnson and Bush, have been disasters. Let them fight their fake wars in the name of Texas, not the U.S.

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 08:12 PM

Re: "Independent" Conservative

I disagree with you that it "is a proven fact that tax cuts increase revenue to the Treasury because they stimulate the economy." One reason I find this erroneous is your only qualifying defense of it is "JFK said it". I looked it up, as you suggested, and JFK DID say it! So what?

The other reason I reject your claim is that even if we accept your premise --that tax cuts stimulate economies (which in theory should generate more overall revenue)-- it might have other negative effects. For example, tax cuts may snowball the income discrepency between the very rich and the very poor, which in my opinion effectively derogates any positive effects tax cuts may have. We may just be arguing over a difference of opinion: you believe that a 10% decrease in the annual income of the poorest 25% of the nation is "ok" so long as the richest 5% of the country enjoy an annual income increase of 15%. Certainly you are free to exercise that opinion through the ballot box.

We may deviate idealogically about the "benefits" of an increscent underclass. What you cannot ignore, however, is that someone could accept your argument "That tax cuts stimulate the economy" without necessarily accepting the conclusion "That tax cuts are good."

Furthermore, for all the empirical evidence that you will likely spit out about the benediction of tax cuts, no one can ignore the available data on which presidents generated the largest deficits: George Bush Jr. and Reagan (who were both amenable to tax cuts).

One explanation is that tax cuts require curtailed spending to go along with them, but certainly constituencies cannot be trusted to support tax cuts (nobody likes taxes!) as well as spending cuts (everyone likes government services!). It would be near political suicide for Republicans to suggest both anyways, because it makes their political platform more transparent than they can afford. It would require, for example, that rich political candidates explain to their often times poor constituencies that they want to make rich people pay fewer taxes but the only way they can afford to do so is to cut or lower spending money on poor people. I'm sure Joe Poor American will be more forgiving of this initiative once you remind him that he will *actually* be better off as a result. Right.

The reality is that there are many more poor people in America than there are rich people. As a consequence, supporting tax cuts along with spending cuts is a politically untenable position.

The only conclusion I can make is that tax cuts alone, in so far as they have historically contributed to enormous deficits, are not politically viable to anyone who takes the national deficit seriously. If I cannot practically expect tax cuts to do what you say they will do then I have good reason to approach them fastidiously.

Am I out of line? Your thoughts?

Posted by: Will | November 8, 2005 09:33 PM

Leave the guy alone. He narrowly lost a hard-fought campaign against a man who largely stripped him of his dignity and his heroic and distinguished record. He is still a US senator, and he is saying what he thinks and doing what he can to help the Democratic Party. I see that as courageous, much like his decision to protest the war in which he became a hero. He tried his best to speak for America and has been screwed over more times than I would care to count-- and you are complaining because you have to delete an email once in a while? Please.

Posted by: | November 8, 2005 09:48 PM

Since when has this repoter become so petty?

- I totally agree with Publius

If John Kerry can help Democrats with a reminder to vote then why not?? I hope this reporter gets over herself.

Posted by: WP Reader | November 8, 2005 10:05 PM

Being a yeller dawg demikrat, I voted for Kerry. I was sorry afterwards for not staying home because Kerry promised to continue with Bush's insane war in Iraq. We should encourage Bush to start supporting our troops by not sending them to be slaughtered and bring them home ASAP.

Posted by: nocervello | November 8, 2005 11:00 PM

I agree with Emily; for everything there is a season, and for me politics and elections are seasonal. I too get emails for politicians in the party that I used to belong to. I've tried unsubscribing from their lists but it does not seem to help. There outta be a law.

Posted by: Roger Dier | November 9, 2005 08:09 AM

You are all ignoring me and I don't like it one bit. I said I'd buy a helicopter and cruise from one Congressional building to the other trying to convince the legislature to buck up and put out some reasonable legislation that defends my fundamental right to torture people.

Posted by: Dick Cheney | November 9, 2005 09:33 AM

I'd buy the state of Virginia and make myself king.

Posted by: Jerry W. Kilgore | November 9, 2005 09:37 AM

I voted for him (hopefully); I contributed to his campaing (hesitantly); I delete his emails unread (impatiently). God I hope (fervently) that he is not our only choice next time.

Posted by: EW Snyder | November 9, 2005 09:44 AM

"With 8 Trillion, I'd pay off my student loans and then have a nice drink and a meal. That would be about all that I'd be able to afford after those dang loans!

Posted by: Kristian | Nov 8, 2005 3:40:01"

My response: that's a cheap shot at student loans...I'm a dad who helped my daughter get in at UMD using student loans and financial aid...her tuition was about $3k and her grant was about $3.2k...they're giving us student loan also for about $6k...the interest aren't that bad and they give you a lot of time to pay back.

Be grateful you have the student loan, otherwise you'd been unemployed and uneducated.

Posted by: Jim | November 9, 2005 04:12 PM

Why don't you just unsubscribe. That would solve everything. The people who want the e-mails can get them, the people who don't want them, don't have to get them.

If you ask, someone can tell you how to unsubscribe. It's pretty easy to do.

Posted by: Terri | November 10, 2005 02:03 PM

Are you simply lacking for news to report or just having a bout of snark. I could see if the man wasn't in the news all the time and you were still getting emails, but HELLO, he's a seated Senated and doing more than most Dems in the Senate.

You could unsubscribe as suggested by many here -- or better yet, you could actually grow up and write news instead of whinning, complaining dribble.

Did yoy watch C-Span today? Did you see that Kerry offered a plan to get out of Iraq today on the Senate floor? Obviously not!

Well pay attention Ms. Messner, because instead of complaining about an "email" you could be writing about news that Democrats want to hear - let alone most of America - There's a man with plan to get out of Iraq - Guess you missed that!

Will wonders never cease A PLAN - http://blog.thedemocraticdaily.com/?p=1117

Posted by: Grateful Democrat | November 11, 2005 03:20 AM

For 8 trillion, I'd buy myself a house in the 'burbs.

Posted by: Turnabout | November 11, 2005 03:21 PM

Screw Kerry! That jerkass Bush is president partly because Kerry LOST to him (I give more credit to Gore and Kerry for the Bush presidency than Karl Rove). Besides, it's not like Kerry was the people's choice... he was the handpicked choice of the established powers-that-be within the DNC, somebody who would perpetuate the status quo if he were to have been elected. People don't want emails from him in 2005 'cause they never connected with him in 2004; He was supposedly the 'Anybody But Bush' candidate, and, since he failed to live up to that, who needs him? He's just another dumb rich white guy in a suit that owes his position more to the class he was born into than any personal competence, not unlike George W. Bush or Al Gore. 'Nuff said on Kerry.
As for the 8 trillion dollars, I'd use it to buy me a whole new America, and to get rid of the old, current one wherein the incompetent rule the complacent. Anything to be free of this bunch of spoonfed suckers known as the American electorate.

Posted by: ErrinF | November 14, 2005 06:24 AM

It's called 'unsubscribe', pin head. That's what I call a lazy and desperate grab for column subject matter.

Posted by: | November 29, 2005 10:09 AM

Just one little comment Emily. I believe this country--indeed the entire world--would be infinitely better off today if it were George W. Bush who went home. As reported by Symour Hersh yesterday, it is pretty darn clear that we have a President of the United States who is mentally unhinged enough to actually believe that God put his worthless hiney in the White House.

A God who would look upon this unenlightened twerp and conclude that he was up to the task of saving the world is not a God that I would have much faith in.

Posted by: Jaxas | November 29, 2005 10:17 AM

Emily,

With all the corruption in the House of Representatives, Americans dying in Iraq unnecessarily, the lies coming from Dick Cheney and Bush, De Lay, Fritz, etc.etc.etc. it is a waste of time being so preoccupied with Kerry sending emails to Democrats.

I really don't understand why you are still employed by the Washington Post!

Posted by: JAT | November 29, 2005 10:38 AM

Emily,

I really don't understand why you are still employed by the Washington Post!

Posted by: JAT | November 29, 2005 10:39 AM

You wish John Kerry would stop emailing you and I wish the Washington Post would hire a girl at least old enough to vote to run their pretend blog. I guess we'll both just have to suffer.

Posted by: | November 29, 2005 11:33 AM

8 Trillion, hmmm....

Whats that in terms of Wars? I think I could run up to atleast 500 decade-long conflicts and still have enough left to buy me a football league. Plus change for all the cronies I can find.
I almost forgot, I would campaign globally/ maybe even bribe, to have intelligent design taught instead of evolution in Biology and science text books. We won't feel stupid if the rest of the world also believes in intelligent design.

Posted by: Aj, Philly | November 29, 2005 01:10 PM

Did I say 'torture'? I meant treat all other people who cannot vote for me in as HUMANE a manner as possible. You can always trust the Saddam and other dictators in the world to have perfected the humane treatment of prisonors in their ruthless and cruel reigns.

Posted by: Dick Cheney | November 29, 2005 01:16 PM

I would buy a condo in DC.

~~~~~~~
Hillary and Obama '08

Posted by: Figaro P. | November 29, 2005 01:48 PM

I would buy a condo in DC.

~~~~~~~
Hillary and Obama '08

Posted by: Figaro P. | November 29, 2005 01:48 PM

Emily,
8 trillion in bribes might make your readers lighten up. Some posters on your blog seem a humorless, angst-ridden bunch. Consider dropping any political party affiliation. I`m going with the "Neocon/Moonbat Coalition" ticket next time. Rush Limbaugh and Mikey Moore in 08! Woo!

Posted by: bender | November 29, 2005 02:40 PM

Everyone, PLEASE read the post by ErrinF.
It could not have been put any better. Republicans and Democrats are just two sides of the same coin. We need a new coin!

you go Errin!!

Posted by: Palo | November 29, 2005 03:53 PM

Assuming I made $2.177 trillion per year like our US government expects to bring in for 2006; and assuming that I had the same debt to income ratio at that income level as I do now, my debt would be higher than 8 Trillion. My Interest rate is definitely higher than the Government pays. I think that we the people are actually getting a fair deal considering all that has gone on recently. Oh, did you hear? Federal spending for 2005 will be 7 million less than expected. Not much in comparison to the deficit, but sure looks like the trend may be reversing. One can hope.

Posted by: Ernest Vance | November 29, 2005 04:45 PM

To Greatful Democrat. Great that Kerry is proposing a plan ... but is it in Iraq's or our own best interest to broadcast a timeline? Personally I think not. The Iraq war has long been compared to Vietnam in a negative way, but have we taken time to notice what happened after the US pulled out? South Vietnam fell like a child without training wheels whose dad pulled away too soon. Iraq is not ready, but is getting stronger. We will pull out ... when the time is right. But our enemies do not need to know when that is. Kerry is not wise. Lieberman ... there is a wise man.

Posted by: Ernest Vance | November 29, 2005 05:09 PM

ErrinF, I do occasionally feel as you do that the two parties are sides of the same coin. I like what the Constitution party stands for, myself, but do not like the odds of having anyone from that party elected. I disagree, however, that you could by the US with a mere $8 Trillion. You could certainly buy the loan for that and get between 3 and 4 % interest from your government, but that's about it. Our country and our government are worth more than 8 Trillion. In fact, it's worth my life, your life, and anyone who would stand and fight for her. Can anyone put a dollar value on that? I hope not, or we are not a Nation of people anymore, but a nation of slaves.

Posted by: Ernest Vance | November 29, 2005 05:16 PM

bender. Thanks for the laugh. That was a great joke. :) Limbaugh/ Moore ... as if!

Posted by: Ernest Vance | November 29, 2005 05:18 PM

note to Will:

- one reason that overall tax revenues can actually go up when tax rates go down is something called a "spending multiplier."

Here's an over-simplified illustration:

Let's say there are two communities with the same number of people and the same total wealth and that each community has the same tax rate -- each transaction is taxed at the same rate.

Let's say the people in community A use their money more often than those in community B. Because there are more transactions in community A, more taxes are raised in community A than community B. The spending multiplier in community A is higher than community B.

In general, the spending multiplier for the private sector is higher than the spending multiplier for the government. The money you spend, privately, multiplies through the economy faster than the money that you pay to the government (taxes). If the tax rate were higher (for the same income), you would have less to spend (at the higher multiplier).

On the other hand, the government cannot lower the tax rate too low because it will not collect enough taxes; the private sector multiplier is not infinitely high.

As I said, this is an over-simplified example. The reality is much more complex; there are many different multipliers in the economy.

Also, just because the government's multiplier is lower doesn't necessarily mean that the private sector should do the government's job -- there are many roles that are, inherently, governmental.

And, while we might all wish for a more efficient government, some inefficiences are due to the checks and balances we build in to try curb abuse of the monopolistic nature of government.

still awake?

Posted by: Dave20640 | November 29, 2005 05:45 PM

Excellent post, Dave20640.

Posted by: Ernest Vance | November 29, 2005 05:54 PM

Oh, pity Ms. Messner! You get unsolicited e-mails !
I am a registered Independent, yet receive nearly DAILY mailings from both the Democratic and Republican Parties, among others, for donations and other forms of support - - not to mention scads of
e-mails from all sorts of politicos and organizations seeking support - - - following the fact that I once signed a petition to cease an egegregious violation of some sort.
If you want to really hear Kerry's proposals, you should listen or read more closely than you apparently do. Is he "DULL", as so many pundits complain about ? Forget dull and LISTEN to his ideas. He has proposed many that are cogent and constructive, but since he lost the last election, he is now branded by the media as dull and intrusive in the Party structure, so the conventional "wisdom" is to ignore him and complain about his place in the Democratic Party.
Do you REALLY want Kerry to cough up something like Newt's "Contract on America" ( my paraphrase) ? If you do, you are not paying sufficient attention to the events of recent months with the Republicans in charge, violating every rule in the book, engaging in unprecedented levels of corruption, carrying on a disastrous and bloody war in Iraq, creating a historically disasterous deficit, and large scale giveaways to the wealthy and crony corporations. That is what Newt's "Contract' promised for America. Is that your idea of a wonderful new proposal ? If so, I much prefer Kerry's. You may have Newt and his neocons, thank you.

Posted by: Francis Scalzi | December 1, 2005 02:42 AM