Dangerous gases

By Tom Toles

c_04112010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_04112010.gif

By Tom Toles  | April 11, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Regional
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Optimistic jobs report
Next: First the good news

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Simpleton1 was refering to the outake cartoon.

It should be "its" and not "it's" in the following: "And the fighting about the health care bill continues even after it's passage into law"

The correct form of the possesive is "its" not "it's" as was written.

Posted by: BradG | April 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe we're all forgetting that it all "depends on what the definition of 'is' is." It's a puzzle, isn't it?

Posted by: quiensabe | April 11, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, how long does it take you to draw your cartoons? Or do you turn that work over to the kids in a daycare center?

Posted by: bobbo2 | April 11, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree that it is correct to say "it's," but not the possessive "its," which can be confusing because normally the apostrophe before the "s" signifies possession, but, in the case of "it's," you are correct, it's a contraction of "it is," and, therefore, rendered correctly.

"it's all good."

What a simpleton1!

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 11, 2010 2:43 AM | Report abuse

"it's" is correct, a contraction of "it is", as in "it is too late". "its" is the possessive form, which doesn't have an apostrophe for "it".

Posted by: rick36 | April 10, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"Its" not "It's" unless "it's" a TV station that makes "its" own script.

Posted by: quiensabe | April 10, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Look at taxcutsin12, for example...

place is full of kooks.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 10, 2010 4:52 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles,

I admire your work very much. I had actually tried to contact you through some guy who interviewed your brother, but "the guy" never responded to me.

I have something very important to tell you about. NO, it's nothing weird. It's just kinda important and I don't want to blab about it on here.

I'm not sure the best way to do this, so, here goes:

where can I send you a private message? I thought about putting MY email on here for you to contact me, but then, I wouldn't know if it were really YOU contacting me, or just some nutjob - you can never be too careful on the internet... lots of kooks.

Anyway, I'll mull this a bit and try to come up with a solution, unless you know of some way I can pass you a message privately.

Thanks. Sorry for the weirdness.

Mark

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 10, 2010 4:45 AM | Report abuse

"its" not "it's"

Posted by: simpleton1 | April 9, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

All the gases used to cut down trees for newspapers, ship them, print them, deliver them, and pick up after them must weigh heavily on your mind after 30 years .....

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | April 9, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse