Obama digs himself further

By Tom Toles

c_04052010.gif

Where the wild things are

Dare I comment on the comment section of blogs? This one in particular? Last week things heated up a bit with some of the cartoons and sketches and blog posts I put up.

In Buffalo, where I'm from, there is a tradition of celebrating Easter Monday, or Dyngus Day, with water drenching and whipping with twigs and
branches. And people wonder why Buffalonians love their hometown so much! Anyway, today seemed like an appropriate time to get into to occasional free-fire zone of the comment section.

Is it orderly? No. Is it coherent? No. Is it polite? No. Are people nice to me? SOMETIMES! Sure, some commenters think of each letter on their keyboards as their very own President's Nuclear Button. Aimed at me. But this is the opinion section! Let the opinions fly. Bombardment was fun in high school gym class! Well, no it wasn't, but nothing in high school gym class is fun.

I read the comments. I find them interesting. I hope to respond to them sometimes. My only suggestion is put in an idea in along with the vitriol, and some good may even come of it all.

P.S.: Calling me Tommy was maybe amusing the first time. --Tom Toles

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_04052010.gif

By Tom Toles  | April 5, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Obama White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rebuilding Haiti, or not
Next: Has Vince Gray missed the point?

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

"...if we know for a fact we will have abundant supplies of energy in the future..."

And that's the problem right there. It's a HUGE if. We can speculate, predict, but we don't really know for a fact what our energy situation will be in the future.

Posted by: Gurduloo | April 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"They are Gary !!

Got to stop watching FOX
and
sucking up to RW Media"

I find it interesting that my suggestion for a fact based energy decision lead you to think I watch Fox news. I don't. Usually I watch CBS.

But I can give you an example. If we know for a fact oil will be quite scarce and valuable in the future, we should not drill our reserves until we can no longer buy oil on the market. But if we know for a fact we will have abundant supplies of energy in the future, we can go ahead and use our domestic supplies now when it can help the economy. Just a few per cent of the marked could drop prices significantly.

That is a fact based decision. But who ever presents the answer to that question as a verifiable fact?

It is all emotional talk about "drill baby drill."

What good is that?

Posted by: gary4books | April 6, 2010 5:12 AM | Report abuse

It would be refreshing for you to read, and even respond to, comments on your blog. As this goes forward, however, you will be swamped and I fear will lose heart.

Back to your earlier meme about criminal sanctions for executives. It deserves more public debate. Two quick points: a) hard to make a case against people who are surrounded by lawyers and accountants advising that what they sign complies with the law; and b) the only guy forcefully making this case, as I recall, before the last election, was Bill O'Reilly. (He may have been thinking about the head of Fannie Mae.) Maybe you should do his show.

Posted by: mnmnmorgan | April 5, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Good message. We need to exploit more of our natural fuel resources. Too much wealth is being transferred overseas when buying foreign oil. Let's keep more of the cash flow at home. One dollar spent within the US economy has up to 10 times the benefit over a dollar that leaves the country.

Posted by: brent6 | April 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles,

I agree with your characterization of the comments. Do you have any idea why comments on WaPo's website tend to be so vitriolic, and often moronic? NY Times comments seem to be a little more civilized, but I don't think there is a big difference between WaPo readers and NYT readers.

My wife keeps telling me, "don't read the comments. They just upset you."

Posted by: McBoo | April 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Great post and so true. The man is destroying our country and we the people are letting him. Shame on us.

Posted by: seighmy47 | April 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get it. There's no coal under the White House. What does he think he's doing?

Posted by: Gurduloo | April 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, I'm a big fan of your work. I love your caricature of Obama, especially the ears. Too cute.

Posted by: carolerae48 | April 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Mr. Toles, but you had me at the mention of Dyngus Day. I was just mentioning that celebration, and similar customs practiced by the Hungarian Catholics on this day.

So no brickbats, no huffy denunciations, no actual snark this time out. In fact I have fond memories of your work in the Buffalo News (all those blobby local and state politicians) and was glad to see you take up your position at the post.

I'll stop short of actual squeeing.

Posted by: AnotherHagman | April 5, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Dig baby dig we need all the fossil fuel we can get how do you think all those electric cars get charged up?

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | April 5, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

I have no comment on this drawing. It is too silly. Energy decisions ought to be based on facts.

Posted by: gary4books | April 5, 2010 5:29 AM | Report abuse

==============================

They are Gary !!

Got to stop watching FOX
and
sucking up to RW Media
as
your primary education system..

ISA