Gun rights for terrorists?

By Tom Toles

c_05072010.gif

***
Friday rant: the power of Iris

While spinning in my chair working up a lather, I first need to say that I figured out yesterday what that Iris smells like. Irises come in many varieties, but I'm talking about the one in my little garden that is two-toned, kind of lavender on top and purple below. If you have one blooming or see one, go take a sniff. I was initially jolted by its sweetness and kept returning every day this week for more. It started to seem quite candy-like. Then yesterday it hit me what it smelled like. Surprising! I'll reveal Monday what it is, if I can remember to tell you. Meanwhile go out and see if you can figure it out for yourself. A springtime mystery quest! First right answer wins...um...a free year's subscription to the Post Web site!

Iris_flowers.jpg

(Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/Игоревич)

Spring is definitely the best season, and I won't hear otherwise. Spare me the rhapsody about bracing Autumn air and crisp apples. Fall destroys and Spring restores. End of discussion. Its loveliness and seductive powers have put me right out of the mood to rant, except maybe about people who
prefer Fall.--Tom Toles

***
sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_05072010.gif

By Tom Toles  | May 7, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Guns
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: One long-winded debate...
Next: Coming ashore

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

My thinking is that if there were no guarantee for the right to bear arms, we'd all be wearing long sleeves. And what a fine mess we'd have gotten ourselves into then. Not a big deal in the winter, but the summer - ug.

Posted by: dudeupnorth | May 11, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

dlwjunior wrote:

Don't forget gun rights for illegals too. The right doesn't think illegals should be here or work here or speak anything but english, but by golly gun shows should not be regulated. You know...where no background checks are required. Where do you think the drug dealers that the "secure the border" zealots always refer to get their guns? That'd be the good ole U.S. of A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you should get your facts straight

1) Gun dealers always have to do background checks even at gun shows. Private citizens never have to do you when selling a fire arm; private citizens can also go to gun shows and sell their guns at the show, or in the paper, creigslist, and so on. The gun show loop hole is not about dealers it is about private citizens rights to sell arms.

2) That quote from the Mexican politician (because the Mexican government is so trust worthy) about 80% of arms in Mexico being American in origin has been well disproven it is more like more like 13% maybe you should keep current of the facts.

Mexicans are not getting automatic Russian made guns from boarder state gun shops, such weapons are not legal in America. Same goes for the RPGs and grenades being used in Mexico.

Posted by: flonzy3 | May 10, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Irises smell like grape (or purple) PEZ candy.

Posted by: punditpending | May 8, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Tom is probably just like one big time lib journo who told everybody guns were bad until the night he pulled out his 357 magnum and killed the guy who broke into his home. You got to love liberals.

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | May 7, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Apricots. Plus: I rather like the way you draw.

Posted by: soleburyforge | May 7, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlwjunior | May 7, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

One variety of our irises smells like root beer.

Posted by: scompton1 | May 7, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

It's totally grape. Hits me every spring: love iris, hate grape.

Posted by: kilroy2 | May 7, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I don’t watch Fox either, but I pay enough attention to the news to understand that Toles’ cartoon was in fact about watch lists and no “leap” is required to get there. Michael Bloomberg (or, to use his full title, That Idiot Bloomberg) and other gun control advocates have seized on the Times Square bomber to promote yet another attempt to chip away at gun rights, arguing that the bomber was on a terrorism watch list but the law does not prohibit people on the list from buying guns, and should. Toles obviously agrees with this position, while many of the commenters here think he is wrong and don’t believe that mere suspicion is sufficient grounds for denying rights guaranteed by the Constitution. Toles mischaracterizes the Right’s position – as do you -- on the rights of the accused. And the Right’s position on prohibiting people from buying guns has absolutely nothing to do with business and everything to do with the Second Amendment.

Colbert and Stewart can be funny, but you might want to broaden your news sources if you want anything but a snarky and superficial understanding of what’s happening in the world.

Posted by: warddm | May 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The aroma of irises reminds me of grape-flavored candy; specifically, grape gumballs.

Posted by: jpgillam | May 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

PS - I don't usually read information that I find 'unbalanced'. Which is why I don't watch Fox News (or Keith anymore for that matter). I'd rather glean what I can from humorous sources like The Colbert Report or The Daily Show that point to inconsistancies (on both sides).
If you are offended by what you find here - move on! (No pun intended).

Posted by: Rudesan | May 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

This gun rights for terrorist argument is as lame as some pendents yelling "that is unAmerican" or "traitor" in the last administration. That's right Mr. Toles you just stepped down to the same level as Rush Limbaugh with blatantly false comparisons and hyperbole.

People are improperly put on the so called terrorist watch list all the time and there is no one held accountable for it; why would we allow government to take any right away based on such a flawed list lacking accountability?

I live left wing hypocrisy, they support fascism when it suits their agenda.

Posted by: flonzy3 | May 7, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm flabergasted sometimes about responses posted on blogs that infer information that isn't there. Spring, I get. But I don't understand the leap to watch lists.
Here's my take on today's actual cartoon. The Right (not unlike the Left) has conflicting views on many subjects. In this example, with which I generally agree, there is one position that believes persons should have no rights (presumably when they are accused as opposed to tried and convicted). This conflicts with another view that the sale of arms should not be restricted (which is a business perspective as opposed to individual /states rights).
Lighten up.

Posted by: Rudesan | May 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Lies, misrepresentations, and faulty logic -- why, it's Classic Tom Toles!

Toles claims that the "Right" believes "terrorists" should have no rights except those guaranteed by the second amendment. But of course, even he must know that the watch list deals not with terrorists but with people deemed by some faceless bureaucrat to deserve watching. Most conservatives I know DO favor denial of rights to terrorists, but not to those who aren't guilty of anything but having drawn the attention of someone in the government.

And can Toles really not understand the difference between someone picked up on the battlefield and someone whose phone calls or political affiliations land him on a secret government list? Can he really be that obtuse, or is he merely disingenuous?

Does Toles support depriving those on the watch list of ALL rights guaranteed by the Constitution, or merely those under the Second amendment? If not, why not? I'd love to hear him explain why this one right, apart from all others, should be suspended without due process or right of appeal. And I'd love to hear him squeal the first time the government, using his logic, tried to suspend First Amendment rights for some journalist who "needed watching" for the dangerous things he was saying.

Tom Toles -- making the cartoons in your middle schooler's newspaper seem positively sublime...

Posted by: warddm | May 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

A rant a day keeps the debt collector away.

Posted by: Geezer4 | May 7, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

That's not the position of gun rights advocates, nor is it a plausible implication of our position. This is just desperate propaganda designed to turn the Times Square near-bomber story into an attack upon the "teabaggers" and gun rights. Admit it: when you first heard about the incident, you were praying that it would be a "teabagger gun nut", weren't you? You must have been crushed when the truth came out a little differently. But here you are, trying to twist the story in that direction anyway. Dishonest. Immoral.

Posted by: EnjoyEverySandwich | May 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

My disappointment with Spring can be summed up with one word: MUD. When you have sixteen paws running in and out all day, mud is a serious matter.

Posted by: CynicalC | May 7, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I guess Toles is another feebled minded individual who thinks with emotion rather than logic. There are literally thousands of people on the so-called "terror watch list" who have no idea how they got on there (including toddlers, Marines returing from combat, and members of Congress). Toles himself might be on the list, and he may not realize... So why should any law be passed that uses this incredibly fallible list?

Posted by: mwuagi | May 7, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

The only debate left for the left is figuring out the fastest way to rid the right of guns so only the left will have them.

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | May 7, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Is it Dr. Pepper? The iris aroma, that is. I remember it well--irises won't bloom here for another month--but can't quite identify it. There's a native prairie plant, a coneflower (Ratibida columnifera) that definitely smells like Dr. Pepper. 10, 2 & 4!

Posted by: michaelmelius | May 7, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse