What the loopy current brought in

By Tom Toles

c_05242010.gif

***
Fancy-pantsy sycophancy

Okay, if you're looking for yet another occasion to howl at my cluelessness, here you go.

Obama. Might as well get to him now as later. A commenter or two responded to mentions I've made of President Obama with replies that suggested that it was essentially SELF-EVIDENT what a terrible president he has been. Allow me to differ. I had great hopes for him during the campaign. Now hard reality has had a chance to work its magic at destroying magic, and things look different. I like Obama even BETTER now. I think Obama has a good shot at being the best president of my lifetime. He brings a clarity of analysis to problems that I think is unbeatable. I think he prioritizes problems in order of consequence to the country and has tackled harder stuff than he is given credit for. His execution skills are at least pretty decent, and may prove to be exceptional. Time will tell on that. Interesting that the critique of him has changed from HAPLESS, Jimmy Carter-style, to BIGFOOT, Sasquatch-style, now that he's actually passed some things. FOOL, or MONSTER? Sorry, none of the above, here. The surprise for me is the NO DRAMA part, which I didn't appreciate during the campaign, but I do now. Far enough out on the limb, am I?

Yes, I have my issues with him and will have more, and I reserve the right to disavow some or all of this, in cartoons and otherwise. But here I am, and there you are. Howl away if you like. --Tom Toles
***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_05242010.gif

By Tom Toles  | May 24, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Tea party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What's working at BP
Next: Why can't our soldiers just get along?

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Posted by: bobbo2 | May 24, 2010 12:24 PM |

------------------------------------------

Personally, bobbo2, I don't care if Saddam is in Iraq or not. Did it make a stinky whiff of difference to my life? NO.

Maybe your fuhrer Bush should go run for Pres. of Iraq. I'm sure glad none of my family died defending our nation from Muqtada Al Sadr. (You remember, right? The firebrand Iraqi Cleric).

Your argument is weaker than Mitch McConnell's handshake. "Our enemies do not fear us"???? Are you working with the Taliban? I'm curious to know how you figured that out. Was it when Iran began sending weapons (IEDs) to Iraq to kill US Troops? Or maybe it was when they started taking US Citizens hostage again. Or maybe it was when they started blowing up iconic American buildings, is that when you noticed?

Your words are now toast.

Place your red, white, and blue tail between your pasty legs and slither back to your "Real America," you dimwit.

And, just to catch you up on the new world order, today's liberals have been poor for a couple of generations. They aint gonna "yes suh" your weak butt anymore. Most "Liberals" today will take your head off, myself included. So, you can take your tired BS back to the Nixon era. Why don't you take your pasty white self down to SE and tell everybody how smart you are and how Obama has ruined this country. Because. You are a coward, like the rest of your "party".

What kinda party has no fun at all? the GOP.

Liar!

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 27, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Gee, maybe? when we're working with corporations without consciences, a little "MORE" GOVERNMENT is what's necessary for THAT kind!

Posted by: Maerzie | May 26, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

@bobbo2 - The last presidential news conference was in February, 3 1/2 months ago. Maybe a bit long, given what's going on, but not "almost a year" by any stretch.

Posted by: NoodlyAppendage | May 25, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"but are unable to plug a hole on the ocean’s floor???"

But of course they can.

Just not immediately.

That is the flaw.

They needed to have systems ready to go before the problem.

In the Army we use a collection of letters (PPPPP) that roughly means prior planning prevents poor performance.

No planning.

No performance.

Government is here to demand plans and demand they be demonstrated.

Several times. Then check often to make sure they can still do the plan.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | May 24, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

As usual, I agree with Tom. I think Obama, while accomplishing much his first year, has been learning how to work the levers at his post and will only improve with time. I believe this accounts for the differences between the handling of healthcare and finreg. Then again, what the hell do I know?

Posted by: Kevin71707 | May 24, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, I'm out on the "limb" with you Mr. Toles and a big fan of yours as well. As far as Carter, the prez seems to like Niebuhr like Carter did but the only similarity I see. Carter is a good man, but as prez had many,let us say challenges. He was right about our addiction to oil......

Posted by: carolerae48 | May 24, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

You'll notice the people who don't think Pres. Obama is doing agood job regurgitate steroetypical conservative/talk raio nonsense about liberals without any concept of circumstances or objective reality. He fits their stereotype and that's all the thinking they do. Objective facts that don't fit are disposed of.

Posted by: kchses1 | May 24, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Well said.

Posted by: irharris | May 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

TT makes the point that our Present Prez “has a good shot at being the best president of my lifetime.” Based upon my extensive research (using Wikipedia, of course) said same cartoon guy was born during the Truman Administration. Let's start comparing apples with apples here. Have we seen any atomic bombs dropped on a civilian population in the past year? No. Have we seen any way-popular Macarthur level generals fired in the past year?? No. Have we seen any Joe McCarthy’s take over the Senate without a word being said from the White House leadership??? Again no. Have we seen bourbon being consumed daily at breakfast in the WH “quarters????” Another no. (Of course if TT had been born a year-and-a-half later [again, Wikipedia] he could have easily made that claim without Truman’s record being tossed in his face.) And, just how well can Present Prez play the piano????? I'll let you be the judges.

Posted by: dudeupnorth | May 24, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I believed in him before the electon and he has not let me down. He needs our prayers.

Posted by: vacarollm | May 24, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. egc52556, I agree that President Bush was not the greatest GOP President ever. However, he removed a ruthless dictator from Iraq. Does anyone wish Hussein was still in power? Certainly not the Iraqi people. President Bush also toppled the Taliban government which allowed alqaeda to operate out of Afghanistan and kill our citizens on 9/11. What do you think so far of President Obama's response to the Gulf of Mexico disaster? Who was in charge of the Senate and House finance committees when the bubble burst? I believe it was Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd. Bush made mistakes. Obama makes mistakes. The question is whether or not the public wants the Nanny State. I think not.

Posted by: bobbo2 | May 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

It is indeed refreshing to actually have an intelligent person as President…one who actually thinks before speaking as well as “acting”…I do have at least one pet peeve though. I am, particularly, annoyed with the “powers that be” for not “stepping up to the plate” by taking “control” of the oil gusher which is no closer to being shut down than it was when it first became known to us…in “small town America”, if a hazardous spill occurs, the “proper” departments respond, work together and clean up the mess. A bill is then sent to the responsible party!
I am no rocket scientist, nor would I ever claim to be... as some do... Where are they now? How is it they can build a space station, but are unable to plug a hole on the ocean’s floor??? Why can’t the “powers that be” come together over the oil “spill”?
Or…is PR the reasoning behind the response delay in this matter? God forbid, the United States would therefore “appear” to be responsible for the largest environmental disaster on this planet…thus far : (

Posted by: bertzel | May 24, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Even though I'm howling, I admire the strength of your convictions toward Obama. All this time I have thought you fawning over him and come to find out you really do believe what you say.

Posted by: quiensabe | May 24, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Hear, hear.

And you can generally trust the numbers put out by his Administration. (As one of the elusive math majors of DC, this matters quite a bit to me.)

Posted by: gbrunet | May 24, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

to bobbo2: You GOPers seem to think the American public will forget the absolute discombobulated disaster that was the Bush years: 2 wars, economic disaster, Katrina non-response, "what's good for Halliburton is good for the country" cozy relationships.

The voters haven't forgotten. Yet.

Posted by: egc52556 | May 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Tom, I fully agree with you. He's not been as progressive nor as liberal as I could have hoped, but he's been a very astute politician and gotten things done that he can do, with such a blatantly partisan GOP nay-saying everything he's tried to accomplish.

And I don't doubt that conservative everywhere will come out of their GOPher holes to rant, but they have yet to prove that he's the monster they claim. And it's refreshing that we have a THINKING, ARTICULATE president!

Posted by: ColleenHarper | May 24, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

" I like Obama even BETTER now."

Howl? Not me.

I agree. And I voted for McCain.

It is clear with this job we need a younger person. And President Obama has worked to do the right thing from the start.

I like him.

He did not give up our advantage in Iraq. He will win in Afghanistan.

He will get us fair health care.

He will do his job.

Well.

Who can ask for more?

Posted by: GaryEMasters | May 24, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Who are you and what have you done with the real Tom Toles?

I cannot believe that someone so consistently insightful thru the Bush2 years has been taken in by Bush3 channeling Reagan and Clinton. So what's going on?

Posted by: _Mairead | May 24, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Toles. Obama is not a fool and he's not an ogre. He's not an idiot either. He analyzes the situation and then acts. He actually thinks on the job. Prioritizes. And does what's possible. Some good things are difficult, or temporarily not do-able given the state of the country, the economy, the composition of the Congress, and the temper of the country. Some things can be done. Frequently enough, he does those.

Posted by: askalib-CA | May 24, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

You nailed it TT--no drama, just intelligence
applied carefully for the best outcomes, critics tantrums treated as just that--move
on.

Posted by: jfst | May 24, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

How come our fearless leader has not had a press conference in almost a year? President Obama is the stereotype liberal President. His foreign policy is nowhere. His economics are big government Nanny State. Our allies are at a loss and our enemies do not fear us. To President Obama everything can be fixed with a government program. Who wants to bet he is a one termer. Is termer a word? There I gave my 2 cents without using foul names. I challenge others to do the same.

Posted by: bobbo2 | May 24, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse