What would Lady Liberty think?

By Tom Toles

c_05022010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_05022010.gif

By Tom Toles  | May 2, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  National Security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heated argument
Next: Europe's biggest economic burden

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Hi, allow me invite you to my community:
--== COUGARFLIRTS.CoM ==-- (where mature women and men who like cougar find love).
Best Cougar dating site in the world!
It's where cougars and younger men can meet(Cougar is the slang for woman who is mature, experienced and want to date with a younger man). No matter you are looking for a NSA or serious relationship, please do check it out!
And also you may find yourself more compatible with young men.
For young men, dating an older woman has numerous advantages. You can sometimes learn valuable advice from her on how to conduct himself in a difficult situation. She is your best listener and supporter.
Join us and contact tens of thousands of cougars and cougar admirers!
It's where mature women and men who like them can get fvcked.

Posted by: hejiheji0011 | May 4, 2010 2:44 AM | Report abuse

She holds a torch not the Mexican Flag.

Posted by: almorganiv | May 2, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh I get it, ha!

Wait, didn't people coming to American used to pass by her and then go to Ellis Island and sign in?

How...charming/legal/moral

Posted by: dcjayhawk2 | May 1, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

OK. I can go along with that.

But why should we hesitate to ask a person for some sort of ID? When did that become the indignity of the century? You go to France and see if they ask for a passport or not. Go anywhere. They will ask.

Why can't we?

This is just a cover to keep the old system where Mexicans were allowed to enter but kept in a "illegal" status so they would not have any rights. Fine those who would hire them or send buses to take them from Texas to the heartland for jobs. Give them their fair wages. Stop those who work them and then turn them out without pay. Get real.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | May 1, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Gore's new oceanside condo listed below

The couple spent $8,875,000 on an ocean-view villa on 1.5 acres with a swimming pool, spa and fountains, a real estate source familiar with the deal confirms. The Italian-style house has six fireplaces, five bedrooms and nine bathrooms.

Don't care how many homes Gore owns, but it is so funny this is the same guy who tells everybody not to drive SUVs and reduce their carbon footprint ...what a joke.

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | May 1, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

bobbo2, I consider myself "on the Left" and I don't feel the need to go ballistic on your statements.

I know, Ellis Island was "The Good Ol' Days," but that really does nothing to help the situation we're, WE're in now. And be reminded, while the Irish and Italians were huddled on Ellis Island, the Mexicans were already working the fields in the Southwest. By the time the Intercontinental Railroad was complete, the Chinese workforce who built it was on it's way out (xenophobia), and the Mexicans were on their way in. Work, and go home.

This issue didn't get here 10 years ago. It's just that the crisis has ballooned in urban areas and I ask you: "Is there an easier way to score points with the 'American' electorate than through Ultra-Nationalism?"

OK, granted, there is the Tea Party approach which is targeting "Tyranny," but, without Fox News, it wouldn't exist.

illegals? The Minutemen?

Close the border and sort it out, but I'm not getting behind some racist, unfair legislation. We can do this humanely. We first must realize why our meat is so cheap and our service industry costs us nothing. Think about us for a second. THIS is how we do it: Pizza Hut cannot pay their waitstaff minimum wage, because they would suffer and go out of business.

That's what they say. I'm not making it up. That's why, in the USA, we tip. Or are supposed to. And the waiter is responsible for the taxes of 15% of his sales, whether he received a tip or not.

Last time I waited tables was in about 1995. I worked at the Olive Garden, another struggling entity owned by General Mills, the cereal A Holes. I earned $2.10 per hour. Before taxes.

I'm just saying, THERE'S a job Americans don't want to do. Believe me. Nobody does.

Be wary of where your information comes from, how it's framed, what facts are missing, because, 9 times outta 10, there's some fat, rich, white guy whose profiting from you getting upset about something other than him robbing you blind while he sits on a beach in the South of France.

Just saying. Illegals? Really? That's the problem? With all that's going on? Really?

Legalize them and issue national ID cards. Period. Fine the ones who keep coming. Make money off them. If they pay in full, they can visit. If they visit anyway, jail.

But you can't just act like the US companies haven't brought them here. I mean, please. Again. Like the bailout, the public is left holding the bag. Man, rich guys make me sick.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 1, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

The "tired and poor" passed by that beautiful statue and landed at Ellis Island. The immigrants were processed, many were turned back because of disease. After processing at Ellis Island with their names sometimes altered by officials for clarity they entered our great Nation. All I ask is that our friends from Latin America arrive here legally. If they don't, they should be sent back. As it was at Ellis Island. One thing that nobody has discussed yet is the possibility of spreading contagious disease by people from countries that do not have proper health care. i.e. Tuberculosis. Please, those from the Left, don't go ballistic on this.

Posted by: bobbo2 | April 30, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse