Beanball

By Tom Toles

c_06292010.gif

***
The glue that binds

Hard to argue with a wedding. A tokamak donut of love surrounded by all manner of supporting family and friends. I was a guest at one over the weekend at an old inn in the Shenandoah Valley, a soft and pretty region with a beautiful name. Another great name spotted along the way: Dismal Hollow Rd. Maybe not quite so vivid a name as blind shear ram, but a longer wavelength of emotional resonance.

We may have made a poor choice of hotel, a national chain outlet that I shall let go nameless. I do approve of the hotel's policy of reusing towels to save water, although it's a little hard to believe that their motivation is really to protect the Snowy Owl, pictured on their policy card. It's a species I do not immediately associate with Virginia. The only linkage I could think of was RHYMES WITH TOWEL. The aesthetic of chain hotels is hard to put your finger on. I guess I would call it Pending Delamination of All Surfaces. Somewhat congruent with the peeled tire recaps strewn along Route 66 on the way there. My investment advice for today: GLUE stocks.

But the event itself and all the people there were wonderful. And for those of us inclined to sense the dismal hollow beneath the laminate, a wedding is a powerful antidote. --Tom Toles

(P.S.: My blog post for yesterday went up late for reasons beyond my control. If you can't bear to miss a single episode, it's up now, under Monday's cartoon.)

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_06292010.gif

By Tom Toles  | June 29, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Supreme Court
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro's track record
Next: Roadkill

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

The mountain labored?

Really - you should walk a mile in his shoes before you make such arrogant judgment.

Posted by: gary4books | June 30, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

My newspaper today has a cartoon about the Second Amendment." I can only suggest that Mr. Toles forget all the "what it really means" talk which is nonsense. Just read it. Then make up your mind. If you don't like the right to bear arms, we can always change it. But it is there.

How about *Since we have a rotten society, we should not bear arms until we can be trusted with them.*

In Switzerland they do well with very liberal laws. But they have a sane society in that area. People can be trusted with arms in Switzerland. We need to emulate them as far as we can.

Posted by: gary4books | June 30, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

How about "Since we have a rotten society, we should not bear arms until we can be trusted with them."

Posted by: gary4books | June 30, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

When the question "why?" is asked in business or politics the answer is, inevitably, "money."

Posted by: Kevin71707 | June 29, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

85edwardearthlinknet

My browser (Safari) does that all the time. In my case, they go behind the original window, so I just need to bring that window to the front. Hope this helps.

Posted by: donpaluh1 | June 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

OF COURSE the hotels are out to save a few bucks with the water-saving deal. As well as to make a few "green" points. But guess what? It DOES save water, and that's a worthwhile thing to do, whatever the hotel's motivation may be. Do you change your towels and sheets every day at home?

Posted by: luridone | June 29, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I try to see the other cartoonists on your site, they flash for a split second and disappear. This never used to happen but for the last few weeks that is the case. What is the problem?

Posted by: 85edwardearthlinknet | June 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

oh, Toles, I forgot to mention...good to see you are still a free man : )

Posted by: bertzel | June 29, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Guess it all depends on what game of ball you are playing. Not to mention a few more calls.

As for weddings---not a big fan.

The landscape is quite "lovely" in that "neck of the woods".

Most, if not all, motels/hotels have the "water saving scam" cards scattered around the rooms.And I agree with bobbo2 on that one (what?).

The plaza serves hard boiled eggs with their continental breakfast...course I prefer mine fried.

Posted by: bertzel | June 29, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

The Left says that the Supreme Court is being activist with the Conservative majority on the bench. Wouldn't just calling balls and strikes be good and prevent activism? To go beyond calling the game would be activism would it not? Does Ms. Kagan know how to use a gavel? Mr. Toles your "green" motel was not saving anything except money and labor for themselves. The water saving scam doesn't wash. I hope that they bothered to change sheets between guests. Must have been a Super4 motel. You should try the good ole Super8, they have Belgian waffles in the lobby.

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 29, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse