Roberts's rules of order

By Tom Toles

c_06102010.gif

Change-up

Okay, I capitulate! Apparently I'm going to write about nothing EXCEPT sports. There's Stephen Strasburg all over the front pages! And sports coverage everywhere! Sports! Local story! National story! How can I resist??

Okay, so, first, in contrast to some of those commenters who said I was wrong to complain about tennis players who swoon to the ground at the magnificence of their own performance, apparently Strasburg managed to stay vertical after his impressive win. How did he DO it? He's even BETTER than they said! Win AND stand!

Second, from the small amount I've read about him, he seems like a decent guy. So far. But like technology's capacity to turn from one thing into another (yesterday's post), give him time. Or, rather, give the media machine time to inflate his stature into something that prevents him from standing up after a big win. But now to my larger point. I think I have one. Oh, yeah, here it is. As far as I'm concerned, the natural tendency to conflate a talent with the person possessing it gets things all wrong. A talent, or several, does not make a person better or more insightful or even more interesting than other people. More famous and wealthy, but not always even those, when the talent is something not in market demand. But celebrity happens, blessing and curse. And I'm NOT going to win this argument. So let the media hot-air machine loft up the gifted Mr. Strasburg. We will see if he ends up falling after all. --Tom Toles

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_06102010.gif

By Tom Toles  | June 10, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Supreme Court
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Economic Rx
Next: DWI tests turned toxic

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

I still don't see the issue with corporations spending as much as they want on political speech. The media was already exempt from that rule anyways.

As long as corporations don't get to vote they can spend as much as they want in my opinion.

Posted by: BradG | June 10, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

bertzel---Amen and I look foward to your future comments. GO USA MAY THE EAGLE SOAR

TOM---Sadly enough they just seem to find away around any law or rule passed concerning politics and the way it is allowed to operate.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | June 10, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yikes! I like my Toles the same way I like my coffee: bitter.

Posted by: Kevin71707 | June 10, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Jonhandthefish…I think you misunderstood my last two posts. That’s the “problem” with the digital world…one tends to put their own “spin” on the words of others.
I’ll ‘steal” a line from Toles(course I think he did the same)---
“Lost In Translation”, if you will.

I find social interaction to be much more ‘revealing’. Course I am one to look others in the eye. After all, aren’t eyes the “windows to the soul”?

Games tend to become boring after awhile, especially when they become never-ending.

As for “celebrities”, what is the fascination?
They are human just like everyone else.
It is true, they are easy prey for the media to exploit as well as glorify.
A Curse. Indeed.

Teamwork is much more admirable. You know, All for One and One for All !

That being said….I can’t wait for the World Cup to begin…Go USA : )

P.S.
Toles, you keep breaking your promises, no one is going to believe you : )

P.S.S.
My garden is planted with more peaceful produce than yours.

Posted by: bertzel | June 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Mr. Toles for both penning and saying the obvious.

The Roberts court, courtesy of W., will be the bane of the nation's existence for decades to come.

And thank you for posting that just because you're wealthy or famous, it doesn't mean you're one lick better than any other person.

We in this country seem infatuated with "celebrities." God only knows why. On balance, they seem to be the most dim-witted the country can produce.

Posted by: Adirondax | June 10, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

In reference to your commentary. Please check your editorial cynicism at the door, or stick to political themes where such is truly appropriate. Leave the "poor" baseball player alone! Let him do as the umpire commands. Play Ball.

Posted by: Geezer4 | June 10, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Who is the guy with the bat supposed to be? The United States Constitution? Could it be possible to you Mr. Toles that the campaign finance law is a violation of free speech?

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 10, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the corporations to start kicking some free speech arse.

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | June 10, 2010 4:51 AM | Report abuse

BERTZEL

I was just joking when I mentioned Sylvia. She uses EMF technologies for herself. Those are chem-trails not contrails or jet exhaust and I know a pilot who will tell you that. One of the components is aluminum oxide. It used in conjunction with HAARP. Sadly enough there have been students taking soil and vegetation samples testing for it and turning it into Science Fair project.

I have seen Bald Eagles for myself here in the states. It is great to see a Conservation program to raise the birds become so successful. In fact I saw one on the 4th of July one year swoop down and grab a fish right in the middle of several boats that were anchored near by. I found it to be quite impressive and well worth the money I had donated to conservation over the years.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | June 9, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse