Metro's track record

By Tom Toles

c_06282010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

***
Monday rant, too little, too late

I strode about on Friday weeping and rending my long flowing burlap garments, allowing racy glimpses of my Gandhi-style loincloth, when I should have been engaged in a proper Friday rant. Well, live and learn. Allow me then to catch up a bit today.

First, it is as though the world is DELIBERATELY trying to confound me in even my SIMPLEST of opinions. How long ago was it that I said it was a bit self-indulgent for victorious tennis players to fall to the ground in celebration of their awesome game? I don't remember exactly, but not long ago. (YOU can search for the blog post, I'm busy here). Anyway, no sooner than those words flow from my fingertips than FATE arranges for two guys to be locked in an unprecedented three-day 1,000,000 game tennis match. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I'm all the while thinking to myself that when it ends, the winner is GOING TO FALL DOWN, and will there be a person on the earth who blames him? No! They will BLAME ME for being churlish in advance in trying to take away his glory. But I will say I did approve of his variant. He fell backwards, rolled all the way up into a shoulder stand, then immediately got back up and was gracious about the whole thing.

But oh, then there's the Supreme Court. They ruled Thursday (perfect timing for a FRIDAY rant, perhaps?) to LIMIT anti-fraud law. Apparently TOO MANY corporate executives, such as the ENRON CHIEFTAINS(!), have been persecuted too MUCH! It seems that prosecution for self-dealing and conflict-of-interest is just more than an executive should have to worry about! OKAY THEN! And CEO's everywhere are dropping their tennis rackets and falling down in exultation. --Tom Toles

***

s_06282010.gif

By Tom Toles  | June 28, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rolling stone
Next: Beanball

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Fannie Frank and Freddie Dodd! Priceless!

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 28, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope that your little Bovine friend in the cartoon doesn't have any Chinese drywall in his home. According to ProPublica, that objective news source for the Washington Post, Habitat for Humanity used such drywall in some homes it built in New Orleans. The resident musician in the house wants them to move him to another house. He never mentions anything about chipping in for rent. But hey, Nancy Pelosi says everyone can quit their job to pursue their dream because they will have free health care. I guess that Porky can't find anyone to buy his house because now people have to actually provide proof of income to get a loan. That must irritate Frank and Dodd. You know them? The people in charge that said Fannie and Freddie were in great shape a couple of years ago. How many billions have we given Fannie and Freddie up to now? Ahhh, Progressivism, nobody has to pay for anything. It's all free. Until the bill comes due.

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 28, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Gee gary4books...I find myself laughing : )

Nice 'toon' Toles.

And per bobbo2's request....yes, Toles, please enlighten us.

Posted by: bertzel | June 28, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

A better explanation of what happened to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act may have been in order Mr. Toles. The Supreme Court left intact all of it except that members of the Board, who happen to make $546,891 each a year, can now be removed for any reason. A little Constitutional problem was fixed and now they can go back to business. Also Congress just included in the Financial Reform Act that the Board will have it's scope of business' audited scaled back by about 50%. Can't blame the Supreme Court for that. The Supreme Court did not LIMIT the law. Oh and speaking of the Supreme Court. How about that gun ruling? The Washington Post must be in communal mourning right about now. The right to keep and bear arms is now considered a guarantee. That pesky old Constitution. What to do? Why doesn't the Washington Post do a little Mission Impossible thing and sneak into the National Archives and replace the Constitution that is there with their own rewritten copy? I am sure that more would be changed than just the Second Amendment in the Post version. What would you do to the Constitution given the chance Mr. Toles? Enlighten us.

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 28, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

gary4books wrote:
"Who never has figured out that Metro is under ground."

You must not ride Metro or if you do, you stick to the underground sections. Metro has miles upon miles of tracks above the ground. Try not to be such a disagreeable malcontent next time.

Mr Toles, you summed up my feelings about the Metro. I wish that someone with a long term vision would lead Metro.

Posted by: bushidollar | June 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I wish there were something Mr. Toles liked so we could have a happy thought now and then. Even Herblock would do "happy" now and then.

I used to be the Assistant Science Librarian at a state school and was in charge of the student workers. Many would ask me about their career choices and I would try to help. Most of the time I would say "Find what you like to do and find a person who will pay you to do that." But one student said "I do not like anything."

"Fine" I said. "You can be a critic."

Or a cartoonist for the editorial page.

Who never has figured out that Metro is under ground.

Posted by: gary4books | June 28, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse