Meltproof

By Tom Toles

c_07222010.gif

***

Our very own full-face veil

Quality reader comments here the last couple weeks, although the bizarre, seemingly WILLFUL ignorance that some commenters inflicted on the subject of climate change was enough to give one serious pause. A pause long enough to consider the value of comments posted under a pseudonym. My former employer the Buffalo News is about to ban the posting of anonymous comments on its website.

I'm not sure if the climate-change deniers would be significantly more bashful if they had to show their faces when they spewed their asinine lack of understanding of the subject. I doubt it. Some people are dumb and PROUD OF IT. But on Wednesday, under my cartoon about racism and a post about Obama, one commenter referred to the president as a "Nigerian Messiah". Maybe such a person might be reluctant to talk that way if people knew who he was. On the other hand, in a discussion about whether racism is still potent in American politics, I don't know if anyone could have proven it more effectively than he did. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_07222010.gif

By Tom Toles  | July 22, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  DC, Environment & global warming, GOP
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Originalist sin
Next: Reality bites

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

I think that quality comments are more determined by quality moderating than by names. I mean, people post some pretty idiotic and vitriolic things on facebook. Forcing people to use their real names could discourage people who actually know what they're talking about, because they don't want to give their personal opinions on anything related to their field in any way that could be traced back to their employers. People should be able to hold and discuss personal opinions in relative anonymity.

That said, moderating to require polite discussion and on-topic discourse seems to work pretty well. Try reading the comments section on some of the Atlantic blogs, sometime. They get some pretty amazing, intelligent discussions that add a lot to the posted content--because the bar is set very high and the moderators are very active.

Posted by: gbrunet | July 23, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Should anonymous comments be banned?

Having been annoyed by trolls, I used to advocate a ban on anonymous posts. But I was allowing the trolls to change the subject or otherwise disrupt the conversation.

I now say, bring on the trolls! One can -- and should -- learn to ignore them.

Bill Howard
Nellysford VA

Posted by: billh39 | July 23, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"Some people are dumb and PROUD OF IT."

This was explicitly stated by Palin supporters during the campaign, that her ignorance made them admire her more because she was like them. But even beyond that, there seems to be a competition among dumb people to say and do dumber and dumber things. Climate science is not just incorrect, it's a diabolical plot by smart people. Medical care is not just socialism, it's communism (but don't take away my Medicare!) Obama is not just the anti-Christ, he's the super-anti-Christ, and Adolph Hitler to boot. Black people are not just lazy and criminal, they're plotting against white people in a racist conspiracy.
There's something almost evolutionary about this, the way stupid begets stupider. Is it possible to reach a point of maximum idiocy? We may be about to find out.

Posted by: DaveHarris | July 23, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The Comprehensive Climate Bill has been shelved. RIP

Posted by: bobbo2 | July 22, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

jwalker,
I don't see nearly as much a conflict of interest having knowledgible and experienced people hold positions of influence in industries they have earned their living. I find MOST Americans do operate with honesty and integrity. I think ego and self-importance has manifested itself in our politicians and we can clearly see the ill-effects this has had on our society through our government. The tea Party movement and the anti-encumbant movement is just a manifestation of people realizing the government is as capable of causing 2 problems for every 1 it solves. The constant campaign, the perpetual Peter Principal, and gov't as all encompassing arbiter of all disputes has worn us thin of any type of trust in it. So, yes, I can see a conflict of interest in that arrangement...but it beats ignorance.

Posted by: mkeehan1 | July 22, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

bobo2 you are exactly what Mr. Toles is referring to.

SharpshootingPugilist you're just a f-ing pig

Posted by: strictly_liberal | July 22, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"The debate points on this are pretty obvious: the fun-filled food fight the Web has always been versus the minimum standards of accountability and civility that a news organization might want to represent."

...and so the fallacy of false-choices continues.

The point is, organizations that control the media shape the format of discussion to their liking. Not allowing anonymous posters will have a chilling effect on Internet discussions, indeed. Obviously because it will make people accountable for their posts.

But in the long run it's a good idea as no court will allow that to stand up in court. If push comes to shove, ISPs will get subpoenaed, IP addresses will be used, life will go on much as before.

The only difference is that now you won't get to hear the true opinions of your readers. You'll only hear the ones that are filtered by the general concepts of public acceptance. All of the people out there that you dismiss out of hand, they simply won't post their true opinions. And you and they will realize the stupidity of trying to have an honest discussion on political topics, in the first place. Two people either agree, or they are too mismatched to *ever* agree.

Posted by: dubya1938 | July 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

JONAH, while I agree that government spending has been a huge determent/debt, I really don't "see" any other answers to the problems that our country is facing. We have to "finish" the fiasco we started overseas and deal with the hostile acts against us in our own country.
And health care/medical insurance,perscription drug companies, have all been "broken" for way too long and something needs to be done about that as well.
As for "microchipping" me...I, too, will not let that happen,if that is a "force" to be dealt with in my lifetime.

Posted by: bertzel | July 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Somehow we need to get to a system where people "serve" after they spent years in the private sector learning how things get from point a to point b. The problems from housing market, global warming and energy, health care and insurance are way too complicated to be entrusted to people without years upon years invested in these industries."

You don't see this as a conflict of interest? Also, who do you think writes most of the bills Congress passes?

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | July 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Tom, IMO the sketch should have been the main cartoon. It has the ingrediant that I makes up a great political cartton: it's so true that it's so funny.

And regarding the Buffalo News decision - I'm not sure that it would damper a lot of the hate - unfortunately America seems to have adopted a hate-filled persona this century and is very proud of the fact - but I bet it would decrease those who for some unknown and perverse reason adopt several nome-de-webs to post on the same site. I guess these people feel that by having many people saying the same thing that it somehow legitmizes their opinions. They often use the multiple nom-de-webs as a bullying tactic to gang up on those whose views differ. What they don't take into account is that they are saying the exact same thing verbatim in each post and that their syntax and style betrays these comments as all being one and the same. I for one would love to see a stop to that kind of nonsense.

Posted by: dre7861 | July 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

To roscym1

Thomas Paine was not an atheist, although he was called that by Teddy Roosevelt. Below is from his Age of Reason.

"I believe in one god and no more; And I hope for happiness beyond this life. I believe in the equality of man and I believe that religious duties consis in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow creatures happy."

Posted by: sauerkraut | July 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

And of course there are always those who continue to play “finger point politics” no matter the topic.
Yes, it does get under one’s skin; however, I would hate to see the choice of “blog posting anonymity”
taken away from the public.
There are many other reasons people post anonymously other than “spewing vile comments” at certain individuals and/or articles.
If, for example, one discusses a topic which in fact could have a negative effect on that one’s personal life because that topic might have something to do with one’s workplace or local law enforcement, government, etc. , one should have the Right to protect their identity.
Not only that, but as we all know, once something is posted on line it can follow you everywhere…just like facebook. And sometimes people post things which were taken out of context or, perhaps, they were not “thinking clearly” at the time and later regretted the post and even though they tried to “take it back” the comment was already posted, remembered, and would therefore continue to “haunt” them.
There are names for the different types of ‘posters’ and once one recognizes the type of poster one is dealing with, well, it isn’t ALL THAT BAD.
Take ‘ssp’ for example, sure he/she could be a racist, shortsighted, (and I’m putting that mildly) person, or, they could just be someone who posts those types of comments just to “get a rise” out of people….
I’m going with the latter, but then again, I could be wrong : )

Posted by: bertzel | July 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Its "Bush League" blaming Bush for our current problems. It a governmental issue on how it chooses to regulate, legislate and implement its policies. Too many people in government exercise influence in businesses they have no knowledge of its true interworkings. Our system is broke from what I consider "career politicians". Somehow we need to get to a system where people "serve" after they spent years in the private sector learning how things get from point a to point b. The problems from housing market, global warming and energy, health care and insurance are way too complicated to be entrusted to people without years upon years invested in these industries. Yet we have a President who has never spent a day in the Private sector and a congress with most committee leadership positions held by novices as well. Its a structural and leadership problem that has existed for years and I unfortunately have no good practical solutions except to vote against encumbants as much as possible to hinder government interaction in our society(:

Posted by: mkeehan1 | July 22, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

FIRST: name-calling is never nice. In fact, name-calling is to journalism as sunrise is to Dracula. Now for NEXT: From what I understand about the Buffalo News and their revised policy concerning anonymity, it was intended to shield polite and thoughtful discourse from those who seem to have a need for rude, obscene, confrontational and downright mean commentaries. It’s a little like building in “caller i.d.” - -which no one seems to be whining about. These writers are the Internet era’s version of the classical obscene phone caller, spewing racism and misogyny and bully-style partisan poopie from the safety of their keyboards. If one has a problem with something that TT has to say – or that he illustrates – then one should look at other things. Surely “Rush-blow Limblob” has a site.

Posted by: dudeupnorth | July 22, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

From what I understand about the Buffalo News and their revised policy concerning anonymity, it was intended to shield polite and thoughtful discourse from those who seem to have a need for rude, obscene, confrontational and downright mean commentaries. It’s a little like building in “caller i.d.” - -which no one seems to be whining about. These writers are the Internet era’s version of the classical obscene phone caller, spewing racism and misogyny and bully-style partisan poopie from the safety of their keyboards. If one has a problem with something that TT has to say – or that he illustrates – then one should look at other things. Surely “Rush-mo Limblob” has a site.

Posted by: dudeupnorth | July 22, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"Yep - I could go on. Having served in Iraq, I get it why folks blame Bush but the economic crisis wasn't all his fault. If you want intellectual honesty in this blog, you might want to contribute some yourself."

The financial crisis started on Bush's watch and he certainly shares the blame for it. That said, I do agree with your premise that it's a cop-out to blame him for all the current problems. At some point, it's time for a president to own up to the things that happen on his watch. I definitely feel it's time to retire the "he's trying to fix all these problems from Bush" stuff, if for no other reason than it doesn't do a damn but of good for anyone or anything.

Even if you could blame all these problems on Bush, presumably, he was well aware of at least most of them when he ran for the job, and it's his job to fix those things.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | July 22, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey! I think I like the sketch better! I think that's a first for me.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | July 22, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Hurrah for the Buffalo News! If you don't have the courage to stand up and take the credit (or blame) for what you say and write, then you should keep it to yourself.

David McGee
Virginia

Posted by: dhmcgee | July 22, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Efforts to arrest or reverse climate change have two huge obstacles:

1) The greedy who want to maintain the status quo. After all, they're going to be dead in 50 years or less, and meanwhile, they can afford to get away from any unpleasantness. But right now, they're rich and powerful and they want to stay that way.

2) A substantial percentage of our population believes in some sort of supernatural god and takes the mythology as fact. If you believe that there was this god up in heaven who is ultimately responsible for whatever happens (polar ice caps melting, BP oil well spewing oil, Sarah Palin spewing made-up words), then it's going to be very difficult for anyone to convince you that YOU need to do something other than stand around "praising the lord" and interpreting god's likes and dislikes for the rest of us (which, coincidentally, happen to be exactly the same as your own).

In the 70s, there was a time when stronger governments inspired by stronger citizens did push through some environmental initiatives (in spite of intense grumbling and resisting by the two usual culprits above), and we saw results. The Great Lakes and many bodies and streams of water bounced back. Species bounced back. The air was noticeably cleaner. But once the environmental problems were no longer as dire, we backslid.

We know we can make a difference. And to start, we need to identify and confront the two enemies of the environment above.

Posted by: CynicalC | July 22, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

["You may have education (though I suspect you're lying about that), but you certainly don't have much intelligence or wisdom. It's not questioning Obama's competence that's a sign of racism (that's a legitimate line of criticism, although I question where you were doing the 8 prior years of complete and utter incompetence), but referring to him as the "Nigerian Messiah." The Birther movement is intensely racist, and you clearly are within that fringe, thoughtless, and, yes, racist, lunacy. Blaming Obama for the disasters of the Bush Administration is just a further sign of how unintelligent and biased you are."]

Blaming the Bush Administration for every disaster (and our situation now) is equally naive and unintelligent. 9/11: Clinton deserves a lot of criticism. Economic crisis?: Barney Frank and the still screwed up Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac situation (note that nothing in the Finance Law tackled that problem Democrats); Iraq WMD?: we all like to forget that Congressman, Senators, military ALL looked at the same intel and came away with the same conclusion - there was WMD and the Iraq war was a worthy endeavour. Yep - I could go on. Having served in Iraq, I get it why folks blame Bush but the economic crisis wasn't all his fault. If you want intellectual honesty in this blog, you might want to contribute some yourself.

Posted by: luridone | July 22, 2010 7:47 AM |

Posted by: pararanger22 | July 22, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

The climate debate reminds me of religious debate, the only two sides shouting are the extremists.

There are literally thousands of ideas on this subject floating out there and none are proven.

Look at the ozone hole, carbon world wide has gotten worse and yet the ozone hole is shrinking.

If people want to see real change they need to stop preaching Armageddon because it has never worked. If we simple pointed to the nasty pollution in our own back yard people would take interest. We need to hear more about chicken farms creating dead zones in the bay, industries putting lead in our water which is poising the human body, meds messing with the eco system, and pollution creating regional temperature increases and smog. These things interest people, no one is afraid of the icecaps melting and rising the sea level a 100,000 years from now.

Posted by: flonzy1 | July 22, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Awesome toon Toles!

I currently have a “pet peeve” with the new signage that has been “popping” up across our roadways.
Not only the election signs, which I can tolerate more than the “mudslinging” commercials on the tube, but all the new “road” signs which became so available through that stimulus package. While I agree that “A” stimulus package is a good thing…it is only good when some good comes out of it. And while I could go on and on with that train of thought, I won’t. I will say however, that my county did a LOT of road name changes here recently and I’m pretty sure they would not have done such a ridiculous job of it if the ‘signage’ were not so ‘easily’ available…
I must admit that I do find it amusing seeing the “out of towners” pulled over on the side of one particular road with cell phone and road map in hand. Course if it were me sitting there I'm sure I would be swearing instead of smirking.

As for global warming, don’t we all pretty much agree on that. All one has to do is look at the increasingly "violent" weather patterns, not to mention the melting icecap. And even if one doesn’t think our carbon footprints are to blame, I would have to believe that even “they” know it is a contributing factor and we should try to cut down on “pollution” no matter the amount.

Nothing is ever written in stone Toles. Life is constantly changing…hell you voted for it! Did you not?

Last but not least…when I first glanced at this toon I “saw” an advertisement for a brand of Ice Cream that I shall not mention….too funny : )

Posted by: bertzel | July 22, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

That’s a good one Tommy ol boy … I’m “racist” because I question the competency of your Nigerian Messiah man-god! What a hoot! Although we will be ravaged with unemployment, foreign debacle after foreign debacle, a ravaged economy weighed down by the anchor of government “good intentions” and God know what else, the bright side of your Nigerian Messiah man-god’s presidency will be the exhaustion of the race card. Never again will legitimate criticism of an incompetent, inexperienced minority be able to be spun as “racism”. The race card will be dead and this country will be sp much better off for it. No longer will journolisters like you will still be able to sling your “racism” arrows to guilt us hoi polloi into agreeing with your mind numbingly simple left wing politics.

As for the global warming thing, well Tommy ol boy, my day job qualifies me to talk at some length and in great detail about the computation models and methods used to make climate forecasts. That there edumacation thing Tommy ol boy ol pal of mine, I gots that in spades.

Posted by: SharpshootingPugilist | July 21, 2010 6:54 PM
______________________

Posted by: luridone | July 22, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I had a response to one of my comments on Mr. Toles cartoons where the person wished that my children would starve. I have never used personal insults or threats in my comments. The Washington Post has my information and could remove me if my pseudonym comments were offensive. Mind you that the Post OFFERS the pseudonym option. The pseudonym option offers personal security to commenters from people who might try to hunt them down for their opinion. I would be okay with using my proper name but I appreciate the fact that some nut can't find me by my use of a pseudonym. Mr. Toles your reasoning for doing away with pseudonyms is only self serving. With a letter to the editor the Post can edit, omit, or refuse to publish. The on-line version is a different ballgame. Accept that fact.

Posted by: bobbo2 | July 22, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate Mr. Toles' comments on the bloggers. I personally define "Redneck" as someone who thinks ignorance is a virtue. Seems to be a lot of them out there lately. And the Post haters are a special lot esp given that the two main outlets for right wing propaganda in Washington, The Washington Times and Fox are owned by foreigners.
And for EarlyBird1, Tom Paine was an atheist, a far left wing agitator who is spinning in his grave when the likes of Glen Beck take on his mantra.

Posted by: roscym1 | July 22, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Guess it makes sense for an oppressive liberal press to want expose the critics, but still keep their sources anonymous.

Is manmade global warming a hoax?

Did Ponzi have a scheme?

Posted by: insanecommenter | July 22, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, why don't you do a cartoon about Journolist?

Posted by: bobbo2 | July 22, 2010 5:35 AM | Report abuse

I really appreciate Toms' cartoons.
The object of a cartoon is to make you think. Question beliefs, and puncture certainties. It is boring if you have agreement over everything.

However, one thing that gets me is the "block" denial of global warming. Basically, this is simply an escape from personal responsibility. It matters little which view is correct - although I am convinced that it IS getting warmer - if the underlying attitude is "I won't do anything because I might have to change; therefore everything is wrong, so I won't have to change"

How many of the climate deniers have even thought that solar panels on the roof SAVES money. Or that lower consumption cars SAVE money for petrol. (One Aussie noted that even if diesel became the fuel of choice, many gas stations in the US are not equipped with the pumps. In spite of the fact that diesel is cheaper, gives a better mileage and is faster. ie. Peugeot wins International car races with diesel powered cars, as it has done at Le Mans)

But responsibility means change - and that is when it gets personal, and so people prefer to refuse to face the future, than change.

As Sarah Palin would say, "Climate Refudiators"?

Posted by: Stonebird | July 22, 2010 4:53 AM | Report abuse

["Toles stated: I'm not sure if the climate-change deniers would be significantly more bashful if they had to show their faces when they spewed their asinine lack of understanding of the subject. I doubt it. Some people are dumb and PROUD OF IT."]

For months now, I've begged you to offer any evidence whatsoever that climate change exists as a debate kick-starter. 'Asinine lack of knowledge?' Your cowardly cartoons seem to be a respite for someone who doesn't have any idea about the depth and quality of the science behind the global climate change debate. Here in the UK, I've listened to lectures from distinguished authors associated with organizations such as Chatham House, Oxford, Cambridge, and my Alma Mata, King's College of London about the subject and I can tell you, it's a circular argument. Yes, we're definitely increasing the amount of carbon we're putting into the air and on to the surface but the so-called proof that this alone is going to have catastrophic effects is not proven. All the science is directed at bringing the USA to its knees. Solar, wind, ethanol, none will replace oil straight away, even with a combined approach. The retinue of believers of climate change don't allow for much debate -- mostly they approach any challenges to their certainty with disdain, even in a system of debate we have here (45 min lectures followed by 45 minute Q & A).

Toles - if you were really serious about convincing folks that climate change is real, you would drop the name calling and provide a serious debate dialogue (and use a proper blog. Until you do that, you won't influence anyone in your audience to change their views and remain a self-licking ice cream cone - a liberal one. It would be interesting to know your views, for instance, on nuclear power: is it good or bad?

Get serious or get out of the blog business.

Posted by: pararanger22 | July 22, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

So should I start signing my posts with my real name in the same fashion as the Washington Post reporters sign their names to the bogus leftwing collaborated stories they supposedly write? Ok will give it a try.
Signed
Humpty Dumpty

Don't laugh how do you know Tom Toles is a real name?

Posted by: insanecommenter | July 21, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

To be a jornolibist or not to be a jornolibist that is the question? Toles your global warming propaganda all came from Ezra Klein's big list of liberal journalists from around the country who all got together to cook the story in the Democrats favor.

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | July 21, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

As a subscriber, I don't find Mr. Toles to be of much value to the Post. He's horribly predictable. I do wish he'd think a little more, maybe take a vacation, freshen up, read Plato, take an adult ed class, or do whatever works to turn on a few brain cells and not just fall back on his shop-worn polemics every evening. I get the WSJ for less than half the price of the Post, and their op-ed page manages very well without a cartoonist. Perhaps because of Herblock nostalgia, the Post thinks it needs a cute drawing on the op-ed page. Well, it doesn't.

Posted by: raskolnik | July 21, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

It's great that the Post has two hyper-partisan liberals as cartoonists, but is it possible for the Post to find a cartoonist who might actually comment on the party that is in power at the moment once in a blue moon?

----------------

But that means Tommy ol Boy would have to impeach the character of his Messiah and that means blasphemy!

Posted by: SharpshootingPugilist | July 21, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobmoses | July 21, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

It is another fact concerning Global Warming. Earth is not the only Planet in the Solar System that has temperatures that have increased. I believe carbon has played a role but our Sun is also changing and affecting our climate along with other undisclosed programs that our government has been involved in.

For some reason I failed to see and comment on the last cartoon concerning "Secret National Security Agencies" shhh. Once an individual finds out just how long these have been around and exactly what they can do with them it makes a person wonder why have we had sooooo many problems like illegals entering our country for sooooo many years. Or maybe the greatest terrorist act that has ever taken place in history. Or why we still have massive amounts of illegal narcotics, like cocaine and heroin entering into our country. Unless of course they might actually be using these same agencies and their technologies to smuggle ALL of this into our country. Just a thought.

bertzel---I know you are a big Obama supporter along with Toles. I too was hoping for better things from this administration. But the actions and numbers are just not there to improve our situation in this country. Unemployment has not changed and that means a great loss of revenue for a government that refuses to stop overspending. Individual rights are still being removed ever exceedingly. Military actions that Bush initiated in Afghanistan, which is nothing more than a civil war, have been escalated. Which is something else we can not afford. Government Health Care, while our government suffers from such a massive debt and poor economy, will drive the quality of medical treatment to an all time low. I will refuse to plant something permanently under my skin to receive Health Care. Of which I understand that is the plan. As I see it we get less and the government takes more. That is my Independent view.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | July 21, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

What part of "Nigerian Messiah man-god" qualifies as "...legitimate criticism of an incompetent, inexperienced minority...?"

Posted by: Kevin71707 | July 21, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I like both of the sketches. But actually like the lower more.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 21, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Not the climate AGAIN. It's summer it's hot. It's supposed to be hot. In two months the earth will cool. Sorry but the money involved in the carbon scam is too much for people to accept. I cordially invite you Mr. Toles to use my pool if the heat is too much. But you have to promise to swim and not walk on the water, especially at the deep end. As far as the racists. The best thing is to ignore them. There noise and words can do nothing unless you allow them to. Just pity them.

Posted by: bobbo2 | July 21, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SharpshootingPugilist | July 21, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Never underestimate the entertainment value of screennames like "BigStrongManlyMan" and "MuscleBoundGunTotingSuperHero."

Posted by: Kevin71707 | July 21, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

For those whose who think climate change is just a communist plot to destroy capitalism I recommend you see what the capitalist response to the "alleged" climate change has been. Look to insurance companies. Is it more expensive or extremely difficult to hurricane/flood/fire insurance in certain geographic localities? Has your insurance company tried to drop your homeowners coverage? Premiums higher for all of the above?

Money talks and BS walks. Here is an example of money talking from Allianz.

Posted by: kchses1 | July 21, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Masks were used in ancient Greek theatre to portray character and also to amplify the voice. As anyone who has ever been to an outlandish costume party can attest, hiding behind a costume or mask tends to get people to let loose for good or ill.

Banning anonymous comments from web patrons is basically pointless because people who are really hiding will just make up fake ‘real’ identities. The Washington Post would have to waste an enormous amount of time and money to verify all the posters in all the comments sections.

Thomas Paine sparked a revolution with his anonymous pamphlets.

Let words run free!!!