Shedding crocodile tears

By Tom Toles

c_08302010.gif

***

Third eye blind

There apparently is a chicken and egg problem with the introduction of 3D TV. Will customers buy the sets if there is insufficient 3D programming? Will the programming get made if not enough people own the sets?

This is the kind of problem I love to read about, because it's not really a problem. First of all, it will get solved because this type of problem always does, and usually much faster than anybody thinks. Second, it doesn't matter because nothing of consequence is involved. Third, it involves expensive equipment that I am not in any way tempted to buy because I don't watch television.

And why don't I watch television? Different problem. More like rooster and egg. I'll start watching (maybe) when there are sufficient three-dimensional characters, commentators and discussions on it. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_08302010.gif

By Tom Toles  | August 30, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Economy and jobs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fall election
Next: Judge not

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

OK, are you getting paid for your illustrations or your commentary?
Hysterical commentary today! :)

Posted by: EdRuff | August 31, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

WELCOME BACK TOM!

We have missed you -- and the comments by readers.

Posted by: billh39 | August 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

One little noticed problem with 3-D TV is the percentage of Americans with vision problems that prevent them from enjoying 3-D without a headache. If you are one of the lucky ones with lazy eyes you can't enjoy 3-D. I'm hoping 3-D fails as I can't see it properly, don't want to and certainly won't be spending the bucks for a new set. Heck I still have a CRT that works, won't replace that until it dies.

Posted by: HokieAnnie | August 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

nice to see timmy with a napkin

Posted by: oldhat | August 30, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Toles, it would appear your battery is fully recharged.
It is nice to, once again, have a plate of Toles served with my cup of Joe in the morn.
Nice 3D analogy. However, I have found, first hand, that I must first acquire a chicken before I can reap the eggs.
Unlike chickens/roosters, there are certain ‘male’ birds that sit on eggs. Take ducks for example. The drake will sit on the eggs so the hen can tend to herself from time to time.
Course, I suppose, you don’t want to be considered a ‘quack’.

Nice ‘toon’…See ya later alligator… : )

Posted by: bertzel | August 30, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Funny cartoon, I guess? Are you the crocodile? You make good money drawing caricature's, wouldn't you be the crocodile?
You sure aren't the little guy on the plate; but for some reason you think that is funny. What are the Dem's doing to help the little man, give him unemployment?

Posted by: whineridentifier | August 30, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Ah, is that what trickle-down was about? Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: Antibogotes | August 30, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Ah, is that what trickle-down was about? Good to get that cleared up.

You reminded my of the Jerry Lewis single from my youth, Never Smile at a Crocodile.

Don't be taken in
By his welcome grin.
He's imagining how well you'ld fit
Within his chin.

Posted by: Antibogotes | August 30, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

You like to watch? No. Then try "Inside Washington." You may not agree with all the people that voice opinions, but you will respect them.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | August 30, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry the democrats have a plan to make everyone even. Just look at how good they are finding ways to avoid paying taxes on their multimillion $ sailboats and condos in foreign countries

Posted by: jornolibist | August 30, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see you back. We missed your work.

Posted by: askalib-CA | August 30, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse