Voter punishment

By Tom Toles

c_09202010.gif

***

Black box of doom update

With autumn approaching and chillier temperatures on the way, the Metro escalators (those that are still working) will soon begin their squealing and squalling mating calls, the forlorn songs of a dying system. And the horrid, dark heart of that dying system is the Black Box of Doom in the Farragut North Station. This giant plywood room appeared underneath an immense, deteriorating concrete beam that is the only thing holding the city up -- and that means the whole federal apparatus, Tea Partyers take note.

The Box materialized the better part of a year ago -- I think to hide the collection of rakes and broom handles the system managers shoved in there to hold up the city while they figured out what to do. The interim has not been encouraging. Instead of FIXING THE BEAM, they have EXPANDED THE ROOM, which now has a swag of chain link fencing, a silver concrete-catching drapery and a sun porch.

Then there is a report that the Russians are trying to sell a nuclear reactor to the Czech republic through a state-owned company called ATOMSTROYEXPORT. Good marketing! These two things, together, signify the end times, fundamentalists take note. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_09202010.gif

By Tom Toles  | September 20, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Congress, Obama White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Not champagne
Next: Bewitched

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

So folks, maybe this is a message that you should do two things; 1)Push for better rules and better enforcement of those rules for industrial ag operations and food processing plants; and 2) Buy local ALL the time, not just when the industrial weasels are found to be making you sick. This will keep money local, out of the hands of big ag corporations (can you say Con-Agra? Monsanto? Tyson? ), and you just might get to know the people who are growing your food. How cool is that?

Posted by: PrairieDog60
----------
While it is true that better rules and enforcement would eliminate recalls, you also need to consider the effect when Congress cuts money for the inspection just to keep the industry on its toes by letting the industry self regulate. That has been going for the last 30 years and it has led to many outbreaks that are simply preventable.

Posted by: beeker25 | September 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Dear bertzel, I believe that before we finish serving this four year sentence to President Obama he will have tried to add over a bajillion dollars to the debt. Watcha think?

Posted by: bobbo2
------------
What I find ironic that you left out Bush's deficit spending years that contributed to the rise of the debt. Adding the deregulation mantra that permeated his administration added even more to it by giving financial industry money to fix their mistakes..

Posted by: beeker25 | September 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Ahh Tom what can one say, common sense has gotten up and left the building. Stupid is as stupid does etc....

Posted by: nallcando | September 21, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I look at Toles' cartoon today and realize that he is one more member-at least at heart-of the Democrat's Journolist. "The American public has been voted out"-just one more among the self-satisfied MSM that believe that they are better than the American public. Tom, your delusions of wisdom are sorely misplaced.

Posted by: Towson_Tiger | September 20, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

AHA, and I say again; AHA!!!
That is what is missing is the "DEMOCRATIC COFFEE PARTY".
I was at Starbucks having my daily caramel macchiato talking to a fellow coffee connoisseur when I suggest if the economy collapses there will be no more coffee shops. I thought he was going to choke on the thought. His coffee must have gone down the wrong pipe. I dropped the subject. Throwing coffee beans overboard did not appeal to me either.
Now that I think of it; maybe we should have an "OIL PARTY" like BP and acknowledge that the oil companies run the country. We can put them in charge of alternative energy sources and give them a trillion dollars each to "MAKE IT SO".
Then we could make a special exception pay BP's CEO several hundred billion to be our president and really oil our political system.

Posted by: OchamsRazor | September 20, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Liberals have deserved it and will be looking for jobs in early November. Tea Partiers are going to be part of an historic Conservative land slide, but no matter how good the Tea Partiers are unfortunately Washington DC will still have to be held up by liberal democrats.

Posted by: jornolibist | September 20, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Bobbo2, first of all, I don’t like the word bajillion, never have…sounds so juvenile. No offense, just sayin’.
Actually, the more I think about it, the word I’m thinking of is ginormous…yeah, that’s it…hate that word.

Second, I cannot put the blame on Obama. We are all caught up in this huge, sticky web and we all imagine what that big ‘ole spider looks like. We can’t actually see it tho cuz it is hiding in that little tunnel …just sitting there, waiting to strike…don’t care much for big spiders.

Toles, like both ‘toons’ today. You know why we haven’t been paying attention? We have been listening to the ‘powers that be’ along with the ‘powers that-wanna- be’. We have become a country of lazy, spoiled, people and expect our federal government to do everything for us…to babysit us, if you will. BUT…at the same time, if it (or should I say they?) steps on our toes we get angry and try to push back for our individual rights, but by now it is already too late because we are no longer pushing for rights, not really, we are now aligning with other likeminded individuals, in our separate groups, trying to push our personal AGENDAS.

Your goose looks too much like an infected chicken. It just proves that not all government agencies are capable of doing the jobs we are allowing them to do…for the good of the people, of course.
Don’t even get me started on slaughter houses…
As for your blog…I don’t get it. What are you trying to say?

Posted by: bertzel | September 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It's sad to hear the Metro is having so many problems. I've visited DC only once in my life, in 2003. The Metro at that time...at least my exerience with it...was pretty good.

I like your web-only sketch today Tom. The deregulation of the industrial food business (on top of the gutting of the agencies that are supposed to inspect these places for food and worker safety) will lead to more of this kind of stuff, just as we've seen in the last few years. I found it interesting that the wonderful folks I usually buy eggs from at our local farmer's market all of a sudden were running out of eggs in a day's time when this recent incident occurred.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | September 20, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So Tom tell me does this apply to 2006, 2008, or just 2010 when your guys stand to lose?

Posted by: flonzy1 | September 20, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

" Both are aloof and at times arrogant."

I don't see this, but they may need to pull a Beck and cry. That has not worked int he past.

Perhaps their enemies have found a propaganda attack that works.

And if that is the case, why should they pander to their enemies?

I think all we see is that lies work in politics.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | September 20, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

The job of the political establishment is to sell their goals and objectives and methods to the voters. If they do not do this - they fail. Don't blame the voters. They are ignorant, to be sure. But we have representatives to inform us. Not denigrate us.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | September 20, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone notice similarities between Mayor Fenty's defeat and the problems that President Obama is experiencing? Both are aloof and at times arrogant. Both have had successes yet the voters who voted for them are not satisfied. ATOMSTROYEXPORT? That's funny. Sort of like Ford reintroducing the Pinto as the CRASHANDBURN. Or renaming the stimulus package MORETAXPAYERMONEYDOWNTHEDRAIN.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 20, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

If you don't want cynical go read Family Circus.

Posted by: clc51781 | September 20, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Hell Tom, 2012 on the Mayan calendar is fast approaching after all... And a cynical cartoon to boot. Happy Monday everyone!

Posted by: dewbob | September 19, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse