Taking off

By Tom Toles

c_09082010.gif

***

More hot air

I still enjoy the comments section here, though I'm somewhat at a loss to explain why. Yesterday got quite lively. But there seems to be a loyal band of maniacs lurking in there who tell me my liberalism is repetitive and boring and will drive people away, and yet they seem to come back every day for MORE! They themselves apparently never tire of trying to hurt my FEELINGS! Okay, then, OUCH! Feel productive now?

I'm sorry, but the thing you can count on ME not to tire of is that dreaded climate change subject. Yes, I know from two DECADES of experience with this one that NOBODY CARES! Got it! But guess what? Despite the nanosecond measuring scale the media has established for what is important, reality doesn't CARE whether it's tedious, and ignoring the boring in this instance is lethal. Commenters can feel they win the shoutfest EVERY DAY, but the heating goes on, and the damage accumulates. So go spit into the inferno all you want. I'm sure it will say ouch, too. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_09082010.gif

By Tom Toles  | September 8, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Congress, Federal government, Obama White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The audacity of voters
Next: Keys to the Karzai

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Is it too late in this set of comments to say, "Well said?"

Good. Okay then. Well said.

Posted by: jonroesler | September 9, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Stonebird,

As far as the EU economic failures as just being US spin, do some reading.

The US sent an envoy this week to Austria because Romania is failing economically. Then you have Greece, Spain and the UK teetering on the edge. A major part of the problems for their economic crises is because of social programs and a majority of workers are in unions. Germany has cut taxes recently to shore up their economy. France is trying this approach.

On Global Warming, it is a ruse to transfer wealth from the US to the IMF and global entities. The use of taxes for carbon offsets. Gore stands to make billions from this gem, as do others. Do some checking, rather than me boring you with the details.

Their bubble burst last year starting with the Climategate emails, then the IPCC Chairman Pachauri was forced to admit that his 2007 Statement on glaciers had no scientific basis.

These are charlatans crafting a plan to bilk money from countries for their own profit. And the climategate scientists had a good gig going receiving millions in grants for many years to concoct their theories.

Granted, we should all conserve whether it be energy, recycling and the like. I've been looking into alternative energy for my home and energy saving appliances.

But I just don't appreciate those who try to make fools of us for their own profit by telling us they are doing it for our own good.

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

bushidollar wrote:

uh, you forgot to include yourself in that list too, or does your welfare check not count? How about less trolls on WAPo pages and more job seeking?

-----------------

Speak for yourself, bushi. Maybe you're getting those welfare checks.

Don't like "trolls?" I'm not a troll, I'm a WaPo reader and I post my views on what is written on this site just like everybody other reader.

Don't you get tired of commenting to the choir.

Just trying to rattle your cages. Looks like I'm succeeding.

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

"... you can count on ME not to tire of ... that dreaded climate change subject. Yes, I know from two DECADES of experience with this one that NOBODY CARES!"

I care. Lonnie Dupre and Eric Larsen cared when they were riding the Yamal, a nuclear icebreaker, through thinning Arctic ice a few years ago.

What was good for them is good for all of us. You should put out a good word for nuclear power now and again.

Posted by: GRLCowan | September 8, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Janet8.
"They are finally adopting the fiscal approach which has made America thrive in the past. Obama and the Democrats are adopting the European policies which are the reasons for their failed economies. And their unions were a large factor in their economic failure."

What "failed" economies?. (That is just US spin to make the US citizen think they are better off than they are in reality. Helps keep the dollar from junk status too). There are only five countries in a mess out of all of us. One of which followed Goldman Sachs advice and sold assets to speculators, one built too many castles in spain, and one that is being punished by the Banks for NOT giving them bailout money when they asked for it. (ie rating agencies are discounting REAL assets to give misleading "ratings" on their solvability, Ireland)

The other economies are not doing so badly - except that there is a social war on, as the rich/right-wing/ try to break up the social acquired rights to; 1/ get people to work for less, 2/ pillage the public assets that have been built up, 3/ get any financially profitable Public owned system that gives good service (ie health, water,) into private hands, for personal profit. 4/ Hiding cash in order to buy up assets later for a pittance. (Happening in the US too)

The country that has the biggest problem of personal debt - Britain, is also the one where the unions have been the hardest hit, (under Thatcher) and the working conditions are some of the worst.

^^^^^^
Tom is trying to get it into someones head that Climate change, warming or pollution are all rotten for the health of the majority. (like eggs and antibiotics in bacon, as well) It all comes down to the question; Which is more important - your own health or the profit line of the rich? Would you give up 25 years of your life so that the richest on earth could have a softer sheet of paper to wipe his/her backside with?

Which is what it comes down to. The life expectancy between a working class person in the north of the UK and a richer individual is calculated at 25 years. The softer toilet paper is the hardwood primary forest that will be cut down for personal comfort. (Also used as chopsticks).

So Tom fights for climate care? Good for him.

Posted by: Stonebird | September 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Could it be that you repeat yourself because what needs changing still needs change? Could it be that the people who don't benefit from the monopolies that are flourishing - especially media monopolies -need to speak up? I need you. For example, I live in big-money land where water and farm land are becoming scarse and therefore inexpensive water and locally-grown food are disappearing in favor of the rich growing richer.

Posted by: PaloAlto4 | September 8, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010: "I hate to break it to you, but the US robber barons, now thanks to Obama, include the unions"

Posted by: bushidollar | September 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Can’t get Boy George out of my head now…thanks.
Janet8, had a bit of a spiel for you but lost my train of thought. Bottom line though…all the” stats” in the world don’t matter if there is no common sense involved….think about it.
Toles…I’m not in it to win anything : ) just expressing my point of view.

Posted by: bertzel | September 8, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

PrairieDog60 wrote:

"Again, I have to fall back to something I've said in the past. If you wish to deny global warming science, there's probably not much I can do to convince you otherwise. However, just from a practical point of view, why shouldn't we start weaning ourselves off fossil fuels anyway? They're getting harder and more dangerous to find (Gulf), a lot of them require environmental devastation to extract (mountain top removal, fracking, oil spills, tar sands, etc.), our dependence on them has us involved in wars in areas of the world where they are located. Plus, all these fossil fuels are finite and produce other types of pollution beyond CO2.

So, why not start now anyway? Why wait until we have to have another war or destroy another ecosystem or poison another lake with mercury? Worried about the economy? Just remember, without a healthy environment, there is no such thing as an economy."

-------------------------

I agree we should find alternative energy sources and increased conservation efforts.

However, my posting of scientists opposing the Global Warming trend was to offer the other side of the coin. These are not "fringe" scientists who don't agree with the GW theory.

But after I read the Climategate emails and then saw some of the backpedaling by one scandalized scientist in an interview, I started to do my own search of the truth.

The truth was that the hockeystick theory was debunked in 1998 by Canadian scientists but when Climategate exposed Mann's emails and others, that's when the world took notice.

I, too, thought we had global-warming but when I see evidence of fraud and read how these theories were debunked then it gives me pause. I try to keep an open mind and not dig my heels in.

This was in the Telegraph UK earlier this year:

"The IPCC, led by its increasingly controversial chairman, Dr Rajendra Pachauri, was forced to issue an unprecedented admission: the statement in its 2007 report that Himalayan glaciers could disappear by 2035 had no scientific basis, and its inclusion in the report reflected a "poor application" of IPCC procedures.

What has now come to light, however, is that the scientist from whom this claim originated, Dr Syed Hasnain, has for the past two years been working as a senior employee of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), the Delhi-based company of which Dr Pachauri is director-general. Furthermore, the claim – now disowned by Dr Pachauri as chairman of the IPCC – has helped TERI to win a substantial share of a $500,000 grant from one of America's leading charities, along with a share in a three million euro research study funded by the EU."

There seems to be method to the madness of many of these global warming scientists - millions in grant funding.

From what I've read, I now believe the earth is going thru a natural warming trend. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey there, TT -- I know for sure that I'm hardly the lone wolf among your readers asserting the consistently praise-worthy quality of your work -- including each and every cartoon that you've ever produced. You may find this a bit odd, but I have saved every single Toles cartoon since your earliest days in Buffalo, first at the Courier Express, and later at the News. For the sake of the nation and the world, please keep up the good work. ...Mom

Posted by: dudeupnorth | September 8, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dudeupnorth | September 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I would like to add my appreciation for your comprehensive and assertive cartoons and comments. I especially like the "from the drawing board" comments.
Best wishes,
David Eddy

Posted by: OchamsRazor | September 8, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

janet8, thanks for the list of scientists' opinions. But, there's that word...opinions. Scientists often look at each others' work and have different opinions. But the way true science works is, you do *research* to test your hypothosis (or opinion), and then your peers review your work, try to replicate it or not, and the process keeps unfolding that way. This is the scientific method. It matters not what a geologist thinks about the peer-reviewed research of a climatologist.

If another climatologist or atmospheric scientist disagrees with the results of research done by other climatologists or atmospheric scientists, then they should design an experiment to test their own hypothesis or attempt to disprove that research with which they disagree.

Now if you have research papers from the climatologists listed or other qualified professionals in the proper field, please list those papers (published in respected journals, and NOT by those with vested interests in denying global warming). I would be glad to read them and to see if they have stood up to scrutiny in follow-up research by others.

Yes, it's true, climate models are not perfect. But they are continually refined with new data, and refined with other advancements in modeling science (this brings up the point that it would also be nice to know WHEN your quotes were said, and whether or not any of those folks were taken out of context or have since changed their tune). Unfortunately, we don't have two Earth's we can experiment on...holding everything constant on one Earth while altering CO2 on the other Earth to see what happens. So models are the best we can do.

Analyzing climate models, using ground truth data to calibrate them, revising them, goes on all the time. And there are several different climate models...near a dozen that I know of from last count...that all agree that global warming in its current state is anthropogenic. The only thing the models disagree about is the degree to which change is happening or will happen.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | September 8, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to blame the Health Care bill for rising premiums. Those of us who pay their own premiums know that premiums rise tremendously each year no matter what. And $6500 a year for health insurance sounds like a bargain to me - that's WAY less than what I pay now.

Posted by: Gurduloo | September 8, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Toles, I am not sure why you are surprised at the lack of comment. You are so profoundly biased ... hence generally out of sync with any kind of balanced view ... it just occurred to me today, I haven't even been bothering to read your cartoon in the print edition... I just stumbled on to this, somehow.

I'll watch where I step from now on -- I dislike cleaning your kind of leavings off my shoes....

Posted by: JPMcC | September 8, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

BattleOffSamar,

I hate to break it to you, but the US robber barons, now thanks to Obama, include the unions.

As far as EU countries, the fact that they have spent 50% of their GDP on social programs is the reason they are in such dire straits. That is why Germany and other EU countries are cutting back on their spending and giving tax cuts to spur business.

They are finally adopting the fiscal approach which has made America thrive in the past. Obama and the Democrats are adopting the Europian policies which are the reasons for their failed economies. And their unions were a large factor in their economic failure.

If you really read the so-called social programs Obama and the Democrats have passed it is going to sock it to the middle class, elderly and the poor.

Already the Health Care Bill has caused higher premiums, a coming health care tax for employees as well as employers, cuts to the Medicare Advantage plan which will actually decrease services to those millions of elderly who are currently enrolled, an increase in medicaid enrollees which will cause more stress on the states financial coffers, taxes on medical devices and those with pre-existing conditions are going to be paying approximately $6,500 a year for this insurance with premiums and deductibles. Also these people would have to have been uninsured for six months. So many will probably be the working poor not able to qualify for help and can't afford the payments.

Also in the HC bill is the unrelated takeover of the gov't on all student loans from banks, 3.8% Real Estate Sales Tax, issuance of 1099 forms from businesses for all transactions over $600 which will be an horrendous paperwork and cost burden (I hear lawmakers on both sides are going to repeal this clause). As Pelosi said "we won't know what's in it until we pass it." Unfortunately we're going to pay the consequences for this folly.

And yesterday I heard that the Democrats are having Fannie/Freddie issue mortgages to people for $1000 down and no job requirement or homeowners insurance. And what happens if they don't pay their real estate taxes?

Here we go again, repeating the reason we got in this mess in the first place.

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hi Tom,

The real question is would we rather live in a country controlled by the robber barons, or, in a country that lets the robber barons run around predominantly unmolested yet is controlled by a government that implements social programs that provide education and sustenance for the elderly, poor etc.

All the rest is just B.S.

When you look at the EU countries you find that their governments spend 50% or more of their annual GDP while the U.S. is at 20%. Compared to a listing of other 20%-range countries, one could objectively say that the U.S. does a good job.

The fact that the GOP is able to get the poor and middle class to vote against their own self-interests demonstrates unequivocally that the average U.S. voter is unaware of the repercussions of GOP policies. This means that they are ignorant of the facts and that many cannot make the connection between who they voted for and the fact that they are eating turkey hot dogs for dinner. As the saying goes; "stupid is as stupid does".

Keep up the good work Tom.

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | September 8, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

(Continued from previous post)

Dr. Zbigniew Jaworowski--world-renowned expert on the ancient ice cores used in climate research--says the U.N. "based its global-warming hypothesis on arbitrary assumptions and these assumptions, it is now clear, are false."

Prof. Tom V. Segalstad--head of the Geological Museum, University of Oslo--says "most leading geologists" know the U.N.'s views "of Earth processes are implausible."

Dr. Syun-Ichi Akasofu--founding director of the International Arctic Research Center, twice named one of the "1,000 Most Cited Scientists," says much "Arctic warming during the last half of the last century is due to natural change."

Dr. Claude Allegre--member, U.S. National Academy of Sciences and French Academy of Science, he was among the first to sound the alarm on the dangers of global warming. His view now: "The cause of this climate change is unknown."

Dr. Richard Lindzen--Professor of Meteorology at M.I.T., member, the National Research Council Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, says global warming alarmists "are trumpeting catastrophes that couldn't happen even if the models were right."

Dr. Habibullo Abdussamatov--head of the space research laboratory of the Russian Academy of Science's Pulkovo Observatory and of the International Space Station's Astrometria project says "the common view that man's industrial activity is a deciding factor in global warming has emerged from a misinterpretation of cause and effect relations."

Dr. Richard Tol--Principal researcher at the Institute for Environmental Studies at Vrije Universiteit, and Adjunct Professor at the Center for Integrated Study of the Human Dimensions of Global Change, at Carnegie Mellon University, calls the most influential global warming report of all time "preposterous . . . alarmist and incompetent."

Dr. Sami Solanki--director and scientific member at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany, who argues that changes in the Sun's state, not human activity, may be the principal cause of global warming: "The sun has been at its strongest over the past 60 years and may now be affecting global temperatures."

Prof. Freeman Dyson--one of the world's most eminent physicists says the models used to justify global warming alarmism are "full of fudge factors" and "do not begin to describe the real world."

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Morning Toles,

You wonder why "maniacs" say your liberalism is boring but keep coming back?

Maybe it's because they want to give your "groupies" an alternate view on the same subject.

I notice that when your "groupies" don't agree with naysayers, they get testy but don't actually debate the issues at hand.

I came to your blog when the GOP and voters title caught my eye yesterday. I myself enjoy commenting on blogs that don't share my views. In that way I can give them food for thought or get their ire up. Either way it does make things "lively." Commenting on like-minded sites gets boring. Preaching to the choir. No fun.

On the Global Warming issue, below is something I posted earlier this year and just today I read an article that the melting icecap in Greenland and West Antartica has actually melted by half the amount previously thought because those scientists failed to correct for a phenomenon known as glacial isostatic adjustment.

But here's my post from earlier this year:

"This is from an article of prominent scientists and the global warming theory:

Alarmists often dismiss the views of climate sceptics by saying that only a few "fringe" scientists disagree with the "consensus" view, or that the lists of sceptic scientists are not experts in the field of climate science. To rebut this sort of nonsense it may be better to present them with a shorter list containing scientists with such impeccable credentials that no one could possibly claim they were not qualified
Dr. Edward Wegman--former chairman of the Committee on Applied and Theoretical Statistics of the National Academy of Sciences--demolished the famous "hockey stick" graph that launched the global warming panic.

Dr. David Bromwich--president of the International Commission on Polar Meteorology--says "it's hard to see a global warming signal from the mainland of Antarctica right now."

Prof. Paul Reiter--Chief of Insects and Infectious Diseases at the famed Pasteur Institute--says "no major scientist with any long record in this field" accepts Al Gore's claim that global warming spreads mosquito-borne diseases.

Prof. Hendrik Tennekes--director of research, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute--states "there exists no sound theoretical framework for climate predictability studies" used for global warming forecasts.

Dr. Christopher Landsea--past chairman of the American Meteorological Society's Committee on Tropical Meteorology and Tropical Cyclones--says "there are no known scientific studies that show a conclusive physical link between global warming and observed hurricane frequency and intensity."

Dr. Antonino Zichichi--one of the world's foremost physicists, former president of the European Physical Society, who discovered nuclear antimatter--calls global warming models "incoherent and invalid."

(to be continued)

Posted by: janet8 | September 8, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Keep it up Mr. Toles: Yo Da Best-especially todays write up-(I am waiting for the right-wing-nuts to go even more bonkers!). And I like Telnaes too! These duo make me visit the Post again and again even if the editorial/opinion pages are mostly like faux news.

Posted by: ns3k | September 8, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

To the left of the cartoon is an index of TT's interests, called Entries by Category. A scan of this list will tell you what makes TT tick, politically.

Missing from the list:
Federal Reserve, Banking, Finance.

Given the suffering across the land, TT's neglect of these categories belies a blinkered perspective on Who's Doing What To Whom.

The preoccupation with the Left-Right puppet show butters no bread.

Posted by: HumanistPatriot | September 8, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

chase-truth...FUNNY...was thinking the same thing after reading the previous comments : )

Posted by: bertzel | September 8, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, I look forward to your comics and rants daily. I, like you, often feel like my voice speaking out against over-consumption and the dangers of the life we're leading is lost in the din of the naysayers.

and @ bobbo2: want evidence? need an update on the damage? read the book "You Are Here: Exposing the Vital Link Between What We Do and What That Does to Our Planet" by Thomas Kostigen, then move to Beijing...or Mumbai....or Africa.

Posted by: amethystmarbles | September 8, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Where do I sign up for the Tom Toles fan club?

Posted by: chase-truth | September 8, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for being the only sane person on the Post Editorial Page. Thank you for having the best national news judgment of anybody in the first section of the Post. I still dispute some of your local cartoons- but we can agree to disagree.

Actually the regular cartoon pages often have saner commentary on American life than the Post's editorial and news pages. I don't want to say that the pundits and editors who decide what appears on the Post's pages are often insane, I'm forced to.

I had often thought that your environmental bent was a bridge too far- but after the BP oil spill have come to your views. Thank you.

Posted by: nanotheater | September 8, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, your cartoons are wonderful. Climate change discussions are just too "boring" for some. The oil companies don't want us to understand what is going to occur. So, that only leaves caring ones like you. Please continue to do what you can. I enjoy your cartoons. You are who you are, be proud and follow in the footsteps of other "GREAT" political cartoonists (Herblock, etc). You will always have followers and one day leave us a great legacy. Don't ever be afraid to speak the truth to power!

Posted by: Shirl2 | September 8, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Extremism at either end of the spectrum is a BAD Thing. Tom, your tirade the day day before this one was sooo pessimistic. Pessimism is the problem with the economy now, correct? No faith in the American drive to excel?

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

As stated earlier by one of your admirers this week, only income is taxed, not wealth. Hard earned income by hard working people, getting hammered with taxes is not the answer.

Do you really think that giving people mortgages that they couldn't pay was a good idea? Whose idea was that? Think about it carefully before you answer. Minute to win it.

db

Posted by: dewbob | September 8, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

As usual government is in the business of deadly procrastination. Between incompetence and corruption there is always wishful thinking. Like Pavloff's dog; talking heads drool every time a politician lies to them. When do we get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? How long can we ignore reality before we no longer exist? Our best defense is our intelligence and we are satisfied with an Idiotocracy.

Posted by: OchamsRazor | September 8, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Bigfoot believes in manmade global warming or now as liberals call it climate change next liberals will call it global cooling and bigfoot knows Krugman is dumb as dirt.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 7, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Hi, and thanks for your editorial expertise (in pictures and text). I read both every day!

As for the transportation $$$ request, I'm old enough to just barely remember the Birmingham Farmers' market when a bushel of string beans went for 2¢ !!! And the CCC camps and especially the WPA kept neighbors at work and thus in food and housing.
My wife (only a year younger) had a relatively rich uncle, who like the present GOP corporate lovers, absolutely flew into a rage at the mention of FDR. Looking back - - - a lot of his real estate income was from renting blocks of unpainted rundown shacks to colored folks (segregated to their slum area, of course). I don't recall seeing any improvements in those shanties, but I do remember that he always drove a relatively new Packard sedan.
If KRUGMAN advises MORE federal spending to restore our economy (and he does), then I'm for it! I remember when one of my po' white uncles was finally able to buy shoes with intact soles. Thanks to FDR (and - shucks, the @*__$#^^% War).

Posted by: lufrank1 | September 7, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

It's NOT you. I really mean that! Really!

You're missing the big picture, so here it is: the U.S. is filled with uneducated lunatics. That's it in a nutshell. it's that simple. We have an Evangelical nutcase who wants to burn the Koran...when he is not hiding behind his freedom to practice religion. Many people of the U.S. believe that Barack Obama is Moslem, that he is a socialist, that he was not born in the U.S. People in the U.S. believe in all sorts of spiritual nonsense: psychic phenomena, ghosts, seances, and the tooth fairy. Most people in the U.S. have absolutely no scientific background, but think they understand climate science...I have a B.S. in Math/Physics and I don't understand it very well. Most people of the U.S. cannot think critically or analytically. The electorate is ready to embarve the party that drive the U.S. economy into the swamp, after much less than two years after the Democrats took office with an supermajority that doesn't cooperate with each another. The Democrats need a larger supermajority!!! No wonder much of the rest of the civilized world views us with amusement and not a little fear.

Posted by: ptgrunner | September 7, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Try looking at our fearless leader President Obama this way. If he was just a citizen who was applying for a job with the Government and he was having to apply for a security clearance he would be denied simply because of the people he has had as friends through the years. Bill Ayers for instance. When people talk about extremist right wingers take a look at the extremist left wingers our President has called friend.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 7, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I mostly go by what people in my hood and workplace say. The rabid anti-Obama hysteria is not something that is shared outside of racist right-wing circles. Even apolitical people are recognizing the current crop of extremist GOP candidates are crazy and dangerous.

Posted by: revbookburn | September 7, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I would never want to hurt feelings. But I would wake you, if I could. Think about all tht you know now - plus the rest of the world you now ignore.

Real universal knowledge.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | September 7, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles there are many of us out here who really like your cartoons and your rants as we feel the same way and you are good at putting it into words and pictures. Thanks

Posted by: JohnA5 | September 7, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Tom, I wanted to post a comment just to make a point that there is a huge number of people who enjoy your cartoons and blogs, and are thankful for the quirky enlightenment you often give us (yesterday's "But I haven't learned a thing" was one of those). It wouldn't be right if the quantity of far-out posts got confused for the general reception of your Weltanschauung.

There's an explanation of the cognitive function of humour that says it's a release after a fright: we laugh when something surprises us or puts us off ease, but then turns out to be innocuous. Your cartoons, similarly, make life bearable, by, e.g. reminding us of the short-lived nature of certain amorous reunions.

Posted by: przemek1 | September 7, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Mr. Toles, give us facts! Because I'm sure you know from experience how willing and eager the right-wing is to embrace facts. Give them a few facts and I'm sure they'll all change their minds.

Posted by: Kevin71707 | September 7, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Rather than giving us the standard rant on global warming every other day Mr. Toles why don't you give us an update on damage? Give us a list of things that were destroyed or animals counts that are down or crops that didn't grow, or coastlines that are receding, things like that. Facts Mr. Toles, facts. How much closer to armageddon did we get this summer? You can also add how much more money did Al Gore make from his green investments. Give us a full report, not just one dimension.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 7, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Toles is right about taking our global climate change seriously. We should do what we can to reel it in.

Things get emotional, though, when people start insisting that liberals should now be making all of the decisions. They shouldn't, and the environment should not be a liberal only issue.

Maybe now that we will have a more conservative house and senate, more cooperation and compromise will yield bipartisan legislation. But this President hasn't given us much reason to think so, IMHO. I hope he surprises us.

Posted by: primegrop | September 7, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, your liberal views are yours to have and to hold... however I do not see how the empty suit will solve our problems by spending us into the worst debt crisis ever. As for the climate change, this world has gone thru many. We had an Ice Age, and we are now going thru a heating rise that just might flood out a few countries. Don't give Gore the credit, he is one of the worst offenders.

Posted by: madmonk73 | September 7, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse