Nice kitty, Tea Party

By Tom Toles

c_09262010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_09262010.gif

By Tom Toles  | September 26, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Tea party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Health reform's hazard
Next: Follow the money

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Sixty percent of Americans today take more from Government in services and assistance than they pay in taxes. People are turning down job offers because unemployment benefits pay more than the job. Dependence on Government is a problem that must be fixed.

Posted by: bobbo2
-----------------------------------------
I'm curious... of that 60%, how is it divided along party lines...
Let's look at this from two directions. One:
The philosophy of liberalism vs. Conservatism.... A liberal insists on looking out for the other person. The conservative says 'not my responsibility' and looks out for number one. The lib sees a shrinking pie and makes sure everyone gets a piece, the con sees that same pie and complains bitterly that others are stealing from it. The lib is concerned about the future, the con says 'global warming'? Environmental degradation? 'Your killing jobs, and besides, who cares, God's gonna take care of it'.
Now let's look from an anecdotal perspective... I am the only liberal in my family. My dad was a business owner and did fairly well until he found the joy of flying. After he bought a plane, his business wasted away supporting his new lifestyle, until he had to sell it. Ok... personal choice, personal responsibility.
But this is how he ended it... He switched everything he owned into his wife's name, divorced her, and declared bankruptcy. Later, when she had the effrontery to die on us he scrambled to get everything transferred back.
An honest path to take? Manly? Responsible? No, but fully in compliance with the 'looking out for number one' mantra of the right. He lives on SSI now.
My brother owns a little land in Oregon and grows alfalfa as a side business. There is a gully that is unworkable. He found a Gov. program that pays to keep some land in the natural state for the birds and gets 6 grand a year for it. Guess which land he uses. Is this respectful to the taxpayers of this nation?
My other brother did not do well in our dysfunctional family and has claimed social security for years even tho he is only 45 now.
I am left of center and worked construction my entire life. Joined the union at 37. Before that age, I never had medical insurance and ended with zero equity. I am now retired with a home, and a pension that is 100% funded by the stock market. I take nothing from the government.
Conservatives love to use the phrase 'dependence on government' and claim its a burden on society. But the above shows that it is the thief, the scam artist, that is the burden.
Three conservatives, Palin lovers all, Fox-news sponges, taking benefits and one liberal, not...
Is the safety net the burden? Or is it the thief...
Of the 60% using benefits, how many are valid and how many are abusing the good intentions of the system. How many are cons and how many are libs. If my family is any indication, the cons are not looking good.

Posted by: bosatsu | September 29, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

To Tom Toles...
Proper Job of making a point as usual.
I think it was lead pots that turned the Roman Empire into a "Lunacracy".
Now it is the cracked pots that are turning our Nation into a Lunacracy howling at the moon.
Our language "Americanese" has been corrupted to make reality meaningless.
What we need is a Democratic Coffee Party that can cut through the Republican "Tea Party" “Dish Water” that is contrary to their own good.
We need a Republic Party that is consistent with Plato's Republic that knows what is "Good" and does what is “Right”.
We also need a Democratic Party that protects the rights and welfare of this nation's people. People need jobs to support the welfare of their family and the welfare of their nation.

Posted by: OchamsRazor | September 27, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 26, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, I am a WW2 Disabled Vet who does not appreciate your labeling of those who are keeping you safe, to make a blanket statement that they are all murderers. In your next cartoon could you please give your dates of service to this country. Oh before I close, I am voting for all the Republicans I can get into office.

Posted by: madmonk73 | September 25, 2010 6:48 AM
****************************************************************
@madmonk73 What cartoon are you referring to, the "Afghan Army Murder Club" cartoon? I can't interpret this cartoon, in any way, as labeling soldiers as being murderers. BTW, they are not keeping me or any U.S. citizen safe...if that delusion makes you comfortable, stay with it.

Posted by: ptgrunner | September 26, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Censorship what would Molly do?

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 26, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Ask Toles to help you mow your lawn with his push mower. You would like him doing it and you could share lib chit chat.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 26, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Dear bertzel, please read Article one, Section eight of the United States Constitution. It lays out the Federal Government's responsibilities. We have Departments in our Government with responsibilities that are not shown in this section. The Article is very clear.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 26, 2010 7:54 AM
**************************************************************
Section 8 contains, in it's first paragraph, a mandate to "provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States." That is not too specific a mandate. It cold, for example, include health care for all people and dealing with global warming. Those two things could easily fall within the domain of "general Welfare."

I'd also like to point out to the TPier traitors, who would destroy my country, that the The Constitution refers to the United States of America, not America. America is not a country. America is "a landmass in the western hemisphere that consists of the continents of North and South America joined by the Isthmus of Panama."

Posted by: ptgrunner | September 26, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

On the front page of the Washington Post today there is an article describing that "in April 2009, two stay-at-home moms organized one of the first
Tea Party groups in the country." It continues on to describe other Tea Party groups organized and hosted by neighbors and friends. Fat cats? Who are the fat cats? Even the Left describes the Tea Party as grass roots. I am sure that people with big money will spend it on the Tea Party but the basic organization is middle income citizens. Puppets? Faux News? Fat cats? Why don't the detractors talk about the ideas and positions. Again the Left chooses name calling and labels. What else is new?

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The 'Tea Party People' as they refer to themselves here like to think of themselves as patriots, patriots, patriots, but it's becoming clearer all the time how they're actually puppets, puppets, puppets - underwritten by the fat cats Mr. Toles has illustrated here so very well.

I know my comment is completely obvious, but who can't help but wonder how many sincere 'Tea Partiers' are actually comfortable with this stark contradiction central to their 'grass roots' movement...???

Posted by: thanksforfish | September 26, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Isn't is simply amazing how the comments here by the pro-Teabaggers fall lockstep into the talking points of Fox News (FAux News), the official coommunications agency of the Republican Party, and Rush Limgaugh (their own little mini-me Goebels). Can't think for themselves so just suck up the propaganda slogans.

Soon we'll be seeing the official uniform of the Teabaggers coming out. Three-cornered hats with brown shirts and jackboots.

Posted by: Poleman | September 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 26, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

The ad I'm looking at right now is for Linda McMahon (Republican, CT Governor's race). That IS whack...

Posted by: Rudesan | September 26, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

damn college ball...and yeah, I too have noticed the advertisers on the wapo line....tsk,tsk.

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

In fact bnlm...I can't really afford to go out to the bar and am in fact drinking a homemade concoction made from lemon balm...supposed to be good for the women folk...Mrs. O'Donnell would be proud. Hope you are proud of me too....

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

bignoisylawnmower...do you actually cut lawns? If so, as soon as my property, 'sucks the water into the ground,' my grass could really use a mowing. What's your asking price? Hopefully I will be able to pay it cuz if I don't keep the grass trimmed the town I live in will cut it for me and charge me for services which I did not ask for. 'tis a losing battle. Hopefully I will be able to pay you...a local... to do the job for me.
fyi...I would normally do it myself but my bnlm is no longer working and I cannot afford a new one because I lost my manufacturing job...please help!

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Toles has got to love the increased traffic on his site, due to the paid democrat party posters, so he can advertise to corporations and keep getting his pay check from the Washington Post/Kaplan corporation. The Washington Post/Kaplan corporation has many wealthy people who would be much better off by joining the Tea Party to meet good people? It beats yoga.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 25, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Tea Party people are the best people in the world and you would know this by knowing good people. Tea Party people are the people who protect your country, town and neighborhood. If you need help a Tea Party person will be the first one there and will be there no matter how though it gets. Tea Party people are people you can take home to meet Mom and Dad.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 25, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

oh & Toles...I do in fact "own a cat".
takes the right 'touch', I guess...or maybe it helps if you purr, once in awhile : )

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

ok bobbo2...I'll give it a shot. tho I have to admit...I've seen the bar and talked to the band.

the tea party is playing on the average joe...ie. me, the common tater...they actually are a branch off the gop. they claim to be FOR THE PEOPLE when in reality they are not.
bobbo2 I have a question for you and Please, enlighten me for once, What the helldo you mean by "operating within Constitutional boundaries...isn't that the norm???

Yes, the gop is responding...they are joining..dah. Big money is indeed a fact of life....enjoy.
If you want to rally for an extreme group go for it...it's your right. Not the best choice tho... as for me, I'm waiting for something better to interrupt the bigboys.... HELLO....... just sayin'

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

madmonk73----As you already know, everything you have done and do has benefited the world and you don't have to justify it to no one. Thanks for your service.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 25, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

The Tea Party believes in Government that operates within it's Constitutional boundaries. It also believes in fiscal responsibility. Those are not extreme ideas. It is extreme to continue to grow Government. It is extreme to force people to purchase something, health insurance, just because they are a citizen of the United States. The people I have seen at the Tea Party rallies appear to be average citizens who are tired of a big Government which spends our tax money like there is no end to it and still run up big deficits. The Democrats will never embrace the Tea Party because they only believe that bigger Government is the answer. The Democrats don't believe that the American people are capable of personal responsibility. The ideas are the important factor. The money is used to get those ideas across. Big money is a fact of life. If it goes towards the proper ideas and beliefs it is spent wisely. The Tea Party has struck a major chord in this Nation. Even the Democrats hear it now. But they are too entrenched in the status quo to respond. The Republicans are responding, and where they don't they are getting hit.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 25, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Dear bobbo2..then there were three..
No freedom of choice. That would be unconstitutional would it not?
regards...

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

How come nobody - Repb . or Dem gives a rats ass about an african american until you put him in a football uniform??? Just sayin.

Posted by: vacarollm

There are plenty of african americans in a football uniform that I do not give a rats ass about....Just sayin'

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"The Tea Party destroys; they do not create."~~~~ptgrunner

The only thing the teaparty is distroying right now is the arrogance of the GOP & DEMS. Which, if I must point out again,are also supported by $$$$$.

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vacarollm | September 25, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

The TP cartoon simply points out the truth. The TP is funded by corporations and wealthy individuals. Additionally, those who consider themselves TPier are also better off financially than average. Many of them are on the take from our federal government. The TPiers that I personally know consider themselves to be "poor" but they are far better off than average. One in particular has worked for the federal government almost all of his adult life, was in the military service for 30 years, gets a full pension for life with TRICARE while he works for NOAA. I doubt he had what it took to work in private industry...he wouldn't have made it in the civilian world. Still, he wants spending cuts (except for his benefits) and tax cuts (for him for sure). He's TP material alright. He embraces not one modern scientific or social policy. He lives in ignorance.

I'm for throwing the bums out, but I see no point in replacing the bums with even worse bums. The TP is so extreme and supports such extreme and dishonest candidates that I simply couldn't vote for any of them and I won't. The Bush administration brought this country to its knees; we're working our way up, albeit very slowly. Afraid? You bet *I'm* afraid. The TP candidates have the potential to wreak havoc with the U.S. I doubt that more than a couple will actually get elected, but the potential exists... The Tea Party destroys; they do not create.

Posted by: ptgrunner | September 25, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Dear bignoisylawnmower, the "murder club" cartoon is completely predictable. The pacifist Left has always used horrific events such as the murder of civilians by traitors to our uniform to paint our military and our Nation with the broadest brush possible. It takes no conscience or intelligence to do so. Funny though how the Left never even acknowledged when it's radical fringe blew up buildings or mowed downed civilians or police. They blame that of course once again on our military and our Nation. To the Left responsibility never involves those who actually did the crime. It always belongs to our evil American society. The Left's ideas of right and wrong have always been confused.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 25, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Dear bertzel, the Tea Party's leading spokespeople are two women, Palin, and Bachmann. Enlighten me please.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 25, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Toles war crimes cartoon just shows how small of a person he is. Every organization has bad apples just look at the warmer who terrorized those people at the Discovery building, but of course Toles has never mentioned that.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | September 25, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

bobbo2 the tea party also believes in limited constitutional rights...especially concerning women.

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

madmonk:I guess you want more disabled Vets - Republicans spearheaded the Iraq war. I would think you would be in a position to want to be more careful with our troops lives.

My brother died in Vietnam, so I guess in your eyes that should mean that my family's tragedy "trumps" yours, and my feelings are more valid. Therefore, I resent your denigrating those who didn't serve in the military as people who have no right to say anything that you may not want to know.

You are alive and lucky - don't use your disabled vet status to make it seem that your opinions are more righteous. Instead, speak up to get Vets and their families better health care. But you are voting Republican, who want to repeal the health care overhaul and reduce government services for you and your brothers.

Next time you post, please list all the activities you have engaged in that actually benefited our world.

Posted by: dc1955 | September 25, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Of course in the world of Mr. Toles there are no fat cats funding the Democrats. Certainly not the entertainment industry, certainly not the labor Unions. I always wondered how the Demcrats rationalized getting all of that money from Joan Kroc, the widow of Ray Kroc of McDonalds fame. Gee, millions of dollars from the sale of cardiac inducing burgers. I wonder what the dinner conversation at a Democrat fat cat soire' would be? Maybe discussion of what to ban from the lives of Americans next? Maybe deciding how much money America must fork over to 3rd world Nations that hate us? The dinner could end with Bill Ayers describing how unfair it was to deny him professor emeritus status at Illinois University because he dedicated his book Prairie Fire to all political prisoners held in the United States, including of course Sirhan Sirhan. There could be a closing toast by George Soros. A toast to guilt, hypocrisy, elitism, bigger and bigger Government, and scorn for the Constitution. I would rather sit down to a dinner with someone who supports the Tea Party and it's belief in limited Constitutional Government and fiscal responsibility than to sit with people who find nothing but contempt for those who don't agree with them and have such a burning desire that Government control our lives, and our wallets.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 25, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Money+Power+Greed= politics.

Definition of Politic =
wise in looking out for one's own interests; prudent. Scheming;crafty. Expedient;judicious.

Seems to me that all present political parties can be described as such.
All parties have fault within them which is why they are in constant battle. And of course the 'new guy' is going to get clobbered by the two powerhouses. I don't care for ANY of the choices we now have and am sure I am not alone. We do need another party. The Tea Party has at least broken through the wall. Seems they have
shaken up the 2 powerhouses and with good reason...perhaps the teaparty is not going to win the battle but they have given hope to others who may try in the future to overturn the 2 powerhouses. That in itself is a good thing...

As for the 'war toon'-shouldn't be taboo to discuss the 'bad' realities of war...not that there is any 'good' when it comes to war....

Posted by: bertzel | September 25, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: madmonk73 | September 25, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Love the cartoon on top, the tea party is indeed the spawn of the ultra-rich republicans. The tea party has no answers to our problems, the tea party IS our problem. The tea party is just a sad group of old, white, rich, racist bigots who are all going to die naturally very soon so they have NOTHING to say about our future. They can't stand the fact that we have a black president and when they howl "TAKE BACK AMERICA!!!" they mean to take it back from the minorities. They represent only the top 3% richest Americans so they are our cultural enemies. Barrack, don't dignify those low lifes by asking them for suggestions. Mark Montgomery boboberg@nyc.rr.com

Posted by: boboberg | September 25, 2010 4:59 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, please keep hammering this point as the Koch brothers are some of the worst offenders. Of course, it does not hurt to have the Supreme Court in your pocket. Too bad Pug has been taken in by them.

Posted by: JCD1978 | September 24, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Rich democrats receive the most quid pro quo campaign donations from Wall Street and its rich democrats who make up the majority of the 50 richest members of Congress. It's the rich democrats who are waging class warfare. Just like Karl Marx said "The rich will do anything for the poor but get off their backs."

Posted by: jornolibist | September 24, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Poor poor Tommy ol boy … you just don’t get it. The grassroots of the tea party movement are people like “me” and we aint to fat cats! I feel sad for you that after being led around for decades by ANSWER, George Soros, Peter Lewis, Greenpeace, ACLU,The Tides foundation, the Institute for Policy studies etcetera … the left simply cannot fathom a conservative populist movement that is truly grass roots.

And you are TERRIFIED of it.

Kudo’s on your “murder club” cartoon. After all, its nice to see you paint over 100,000 US servicemen with a blood libel like that over the isolated actions of a few sickos. By that logic, you must be blood brother with James J. Lee, the one who tried to kill a bunch of people over at The Discovery Channel over their global warming coverage.

Posted by: SharpshootingPugilist | September 24, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse