The race for recovery

By Tom Toles

c_10072010.gif
***
Thursday Rant: Friday rant one day early edition
The voters did it, with the blunt instrument. The ballot box, never a finely honed scalpel for working on public policy, has been ground down to a bluntness suitable only for bludgeoning. Who did this? We did this! Now we think that Washington will be fixed with the likes of Christine O'Donnell! Sure it will! She's NOT a witch! See where the bar is now? A candidate who does NOT fly on a broom is a now a serious proposition!

She is not a witch, she says, now. Dabbling into is OVER! Now she is me! That what her ad says. No, Christine, you are not me. And my commenters are not me, either. I'm not in a good mood today about my commenters. I don't just think some of them are stupid. Tuesday saw another baseless claim that climate change is a "hoax," and another commenter quoted the Bible as a basis for U.S. social policy regarding the elderly: "They that will not work, neither shall they eat." I think some of this talk is downright dangerous. I think there are some who don't want to understand climate science at all, or the budget at all, or economics at all, and I don't think they want anybody else to, either. Perhaps they want Christine O'Donnell, who is NOT a witch.

This spell (yes, pun intended) will pass -- please let it pass -- and the country will look back in amazement at what was accepted in 2010 as informed public discourse. This era has become an absolute joke. Rush, Fox, take your bows! You don't have to like Obama if you don't want to, but he happens to be sane. That is why people believe he is an alien. So mark your
ballots: WITCH, OR ALIEN! --Tom Toles
***
sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_10072010.gif

By Tom Toles  | October 7, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Economy and jobs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginiaish Inquistion
Next: Free speech

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

@GregS1 - The modeling for global climate and the projected changes is hugely complex. That's why the scientists involved (thousands of them) present their research in min/max terms. To take those variables as ambiguity that denies the underlying certainty is sophistry. To claim that this complexity means that addressing issues is futile is ignorance. To deny the simple common sense of beginning the process now to ameliorate the consequences is stupidity.

The science is real, the volume of data is enormous, the consequences of inaction range from serious to catastrophic. NONE of the credible research even remotely suggests consequences less than serious.

Posted by: fbrewer1 | October 9, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Toles is such a silly, predictable, sanctimonious liberal. One fact is absolutely certain: Toles understands nothing at all about climate change science. He is simply repeating the dogma he has heard, smugly assured that most top scientists support his positions. The earth *is* warming, at least as best science can tell. That is where the certainty ends. The greenhouse gas theory is good science and well supported by the raw data and we'd be foolish to ignore it in our governmental policy. But: it might be wrong, the unknown details matter hugely, it is unclear if we can stop the worst effects no matter what we do, humans will adapt to climate change as they have forever, it's possible that global warming is the only thing that will head off the next ice age that would have devastating effects, species do become extinct all the time and the morality of human-induced animal extinction is more nuanced that fools like Toles would imply,... it just goes on an on.

Toles' environmental piety is just as simplistically wrong as that of the right-wingers he ridicules.

Posted by: GregS1 | October 9, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

OchamsRazor
You are correct and informative:
Yes it could be subliminal hypnosis! And the Drug Industry may have an assist, as well.

The dropped baton could also have been assisted by Bush.

Posted by: Tony-KS | October 8, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Rather than reaching a certain age and no longer having to work, the concept is, "Having contributed 15% of my salary (7.5% my portion and 7.5% paid by my employer on my behalf, the entire 15% NOT going into my own pocket) in order to ensure that current retirees do not live in abject poverty and without health insurance, I have the expectation of receiving the same benefits myself. If I live long enough."
It's not as though we haven't contributed into this "free entitlement" system.

Yikes.

Posted by: jonroesler | October 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

At least by your responses we know you are reading our comments. You are encouraging us. HEE HEE HEE !!!

Posted by: Geezer4 | October 8, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

" And yes, global warming is real, and man made. Ask the National Academy of Sciences. As a science librarian, I would assume you're familiar with their work.

Posted by: Gurduloo | October 7, 2010 10:12 AM"

Gurduloo:

First I congratulate you on your education. I am very impressed. One dissertation was all I could manage and tht took ten years.

Feel free to call me a "mere librarian" I am confident and know my experience is in reading and using research - not producing narrow slices of it.

But I do agree with your statement. We are getting warmer. But I want you to consider our world. We have warming trends every spring and we have cooling trends every fall. It would be silly to consider one without the other. I suspect we have forces tht start ice ages that are independent of the warming forces.

My thought is that we need to pay attention to all these factors. Otherwise we could be busy cooling the Earth wehn we need to warm it. This warming trend may be good if it saves us from the next ice age. How about that?

But I find your focus narrow and possibly wrong.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | October 8, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope your "the Race for recovery" cartoon makes it to president Obama. He seems to have forgotten how important it is to do first things first.
Playing up to the people who caused our economic failure instead of the people who were cheated by the economic failure and those who cannot find work because of the economic failure is a sure fire way to undermine the election of Democrats.
If people do not have jobs, they cannot support the recovery of the economy or their political party.
Anyone who makes less than a million dollars a year in wages is a fool to vote for a Republican. They are dedicated to supporting the rich not the working people.
Why has self-defeat by working people become so popular? Could it be subliminal hypnosis?
Creating jobs in the US of A is no longer to the advantage of corporations because cheap labor is available elsewhere.
Our economy will collapse because our people will not be able to survive on third world wages.
When the economy does collapse, everyone will feel the pain.
We are playing into the hands of our enemies that are extremism, greed and corruption.
Without progress providing human needs, we will no longer be the great nation we were intended to be.

Posted by: OchamsRazor | October 8, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Tom,
Just a quick note from a sane guy who shares your worries. The plutocrat/rube coalition does indeed seem to be guiding us towards some very unpleasant times ahead. But the republic has survived this kind of thing before. Here's hoping it can again. Keep you chin up. You do good work.

Posted by: kimdave3 | October 8, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Touche DirtFarmer1, However still bothered about the old. How do you differentiate between the old who cannot work and the old who will not work. Also have a problem with the young. Education seems to be wasted on a fairly high proportion of the young (See YouTube, Facebook, Shopping Mall). Surely, it makes more sense to put them up the chimneys (In The Water Babies sense not the Third Reich).

Posted by: con_byrne | October 7, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@dirtfarmer1 - I retired and stopped working because I had worked my tail off for 47 years. That entire time, I was contributing to the social CONTRACT that is Social Security. I was also saving and investing whenever I could, so I wouldn't be totally dependent on the good faith of politicians yet unborn to uphold that contract.

You, personally, are going to have to work a lot harder and longer before you're more entitled than I am to eat. And you're going to have to come up with better reasons than you have as to why it's OK to renege on that contract.

Posted by: fbrewer1 | October 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Duke 5 and con_byrne,
There's a world of difference between "cannot work" and "will not work."
I'm all for "Honor thy father and thy mother." That was my point in mentioning that, throughout human history, the elderly were taken care of without government interference.
Again I ask, where is it written that, simply by virtue of reaching a certain age, you have the RIGHT to stop working and live off the labor of others?
Is it in the Declaration of Independence?
Is it in the U.S. Constitution?
Is it in the Federalist Papers?
Is it in the Bible? (No, we've already confirmed that it isn't.)
Where has this "right" been invented?
Answer: In the warped minds of "progressive" politicians, who pander to those who want to vote themselves benefits from the public treasury.

Posted by: DirtFarmer1 | October 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

You shouldn't let a couple of idiots get you down. And even if they do get you down, you definitely shouldn't tell them they're getting you down. That just encourages them.

The climate change deniers in particular are doomed to keep coming here to repeat their BS. It's an established rule that when you have to sell a lie, the way to do so is through endless repetition. They're like zombies, and 20 years from now they'll still be in need of "brains, brains..."

Posted by: bourassa1 | October 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Wham! Right On!
As Usual!

Posted by: lufrank1 | October 7, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Was it not De Tocqueville (1805-59) who identified the American propensity to elect idiots to high office. GWB, Palin, O'Donnell. Smart chaps the Frenchies.

Posted by: con_byrne | October 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

DirtFarmer1. You may be right with your quote but how about "Honor thy Father and Thy Mother". Starving them to death may well be incompatible with "Don't work, don't eat" but may well be compatible with "Arbeit Mach Frei" (look it up).

Posted by: con_byrne | October 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"I'm you." Man, there's a lot of scary nonsense out there these days, but I believe that takes the cake. THAT'S why someone should vote for her? Uh, just so you know, even if you WERE me, (talk about scary) I don't WANT to be a Senator. I'M not QUALIFIED to be a Senator. Turning the federal government of the U. S. into some version of American Idol - "hey, look, anybody can be a star" -- seems to be what the political system has devolved to. Amazing. Scary. Hang in there, Tom. A voice of reason amid all this unreasonableness is very welcome.

Posted by: coffington | October 7, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

If I was a true conspiracy theorist, I might theorize that the Republican Party intentionally funds the Tea Party for one reason and one reason only: to make it APPEAR as if the far-right wing already in control of the Republican Party are actually Centrists.

What's strange is that Obama, a president who has demonstrated that he is NOT to the left of Richard Nixon (among others) is labeled Socialist and Communist by the far, far, far, far Right.

In response, I would be very interested to hear which successful Western democracy, or democracy anywhere for that matter, has zero taxes especially on the wealthiest citizens, no health care, no social security, and effective local police. Because, except for the "successful" part, I think we're talking about Haiti.

Posted by: jonroesler | October 7, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

My local public library keeps a bound volume of newspapers on a table in the lobby, turned to the edition of the same date 50 years ago. Whenever I go in, I make it a point to spend a few minutes scanning headlines, reading a few articles.

It's informative, and even encouraging, in a bleak sort of way. 50-60 years ago, the major corporations were fighting tooth and nail to claw back the gains made by the working class during and shortly after WWII. Unions were fighting back, and there were massive industry-wide strikes in steel, transportation, timbering, and mining. The Dixiecrats were in the last stages of their long battle to maintain segregation in the South, and moving to the GOP (well in advance of the actual civil rights legislation). The John Birch Society was in full cry, and the cold-war "communist under every bed" was still the favorite scare propaganda of the rabid right.

The same people who hated FDR so much that they wouldn't even speak his name (sound familiar?), were laying the groundwork for the neocon putsch that took off under Saint Ronald and culminated under Bush43. They and their descendants (think Koch brothers) are still working relentlessly to unwind every bit of social progress made over the past 75 years.

So, don't think current events are significantly different than others in the past, or even significantly worse. There's not a lot to choose between the birthers and the Birchers, between the tea party and the Dixiecrats, between Boehner now, and Joe McCarthy then.

Posted by: fbrewer1 | October 7, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"If a man will not work because his calling has been outsourced to Shanghai and he is of an age whereby younger workers shall work longer hours for less compensation, then he shall not eat nor collect healthcare nor enjoy security from his country, especially if his mind has been damaged in defense of his country"
1 Republicanian, 1:1 - 5 (Just Made Up Version)

Posted by: duke5 | October 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"So mark your
ballots: WITCH, OR ALIEN!"

Or, if you're a write-in kind of guy, there's always 'Lizard People'.

Posted by: bsimon1 | October 7, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: spd2 | October 7, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Mnibley, here's your "fact check"
2 Thessalonians 3:10 (New International Version)
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Posted by: DirtFarmer1 | October 7, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Dear BattleOffSamar, do you have anything to offer except name calling? Is this what long term exposure to the mainstream media does to people? If you hold Fox in such low esteem why do you even bother mentioning it? I suppose that you go around saying go President Obama go, more deficit spending, more debt! Go Speaker Pelosi go, create more bills that you don't know the content of. Go MSNBC and CNN go, stay in the ratings cellar. Laughable.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 7, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't have time to check right now, but I don't think the "They that will not work etc." quotation is in the Bible. Something like it was first said by Capt. John Smith. (Whether I'm right or wrong, it adds up to another Q.E.D. about your commenters.)

Posted by: mnibley | October 7, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree fish-dude;

Living in the 21st century is not unlike having bees live in your head.

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | October 7, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

A good part of the wigginess is the overload of media - we watch too much, we read too much online, we vibrate too much from being exposed to way too many pixels. We get wiggy. And the wiggiest among us vie for the most attention because the rest of us are just plain too worn out by it all.

Ever notice how some of the brightest people are also often some of the most sleep deprived?

They don't want to be bothered by the wigginess, they've found a focus, a higher calling beyond the wigginess, and DON'T CARE to get involved any more in the inanities that some of the rest of us take so damn seriously.

When we're tempted to get wiggy over anything, it's a sign we need to first, get a life, then, find a constructive and durable focus besides always finding fault with some group or another, and third, take up something creative, like political cartooning...

Posted by: thanksforfish | October 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If supidity is a condition, and arrogance is a choice, why do people choose to be arrogantly stupid in obsessive religious and ideological denial of reality?

Posted by: coyotegordy | October 7, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Jhnny Walkr - It is not getting worse but it is more obvious. The internet has given commenters a forum that is widely available and anonymous. It allows outrageous comments by folks claiming questionable credentials that cannot be disproven. One has to hope it allows mental catharsis that relieves some emotional pressures for some commenters are obviously clearly in need of therapy.

Posted by: sauerkraut | October 7, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Let em' have it Tom!

You could, and I suggest that you do, write at this level of frustration every day!

The abject stupidity and willing, active ignorance of the fox news crowd is just intolerable. It's funny how quickly we forget what having the total imbecile, chimpie, as president was like. At the end of his reign of freeking stupidity he had 29% approval ratings - yet this is exactly the place these retards would take us back to!

Freeking sickening!

Posted by: BattleOffSamar | October 7, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"Tom, I worked as a science librarian and earned a PhD for over 30 years. I know climate science and its limits. Do you?"

I can beat that - I worked as a an actual climate scientist (not a mere librarian) for 31 years and have 3 PhD's. And yes, global warming is real, and man made. Ask the National Academy of Sciences. As a science librarian, I would assume you're familiar with their work.
=======================================================================

I call BS on your 31 years and 3 phd's. If you really are who you say you are...then you wouldn't be nosing through the likes of this discussion.

That is... unless you are an Obama lackey and are mooching off the taxpayers for wasting the day away on internet blogs.

Posted by: alutz08 | October 7, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

This evil and deceptive period of time in history will only pass when Earth becomes no longer a Goldilocks Planet and human lifeforms no longer exist.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | October 7, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

A politician's first priority is to de-couple rationality from political discourse. This way, a politician's emphasis is put on volume and emotion. The Republicans are pretty effective at this with their own base. Somehow, "Teh Crazy" just seems to fit well with conservative personalities.

Because it has worked so well with the base in the primaries, bat-sh*t crazy candidates try the same tactic in the general elections. Thus, the Millers, O'Donnells, et al. have had some success and the Vitters and Ensigns have held on.

"Teh Crazy" tactic drives the progressives up the wall because, to them, it is nonsensical. It doesn't fit well with the progressive personality.

You're right - this "spell" is a crazy time. Like you, I hope it will pass.

Posted by: duke5 | October 7, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

I think I'll take the witch. Remember what the Alien did in the movie? It glommed onto one guy's face and stuck a tube down his throat. Similar to BC and Monica, which just confirms that the Democrapic party is the party of Aliens. No thanks, the Witch is the least bad option between the two you give.

Posted by: ATrueChristian | October 7, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Dear PrarieDog60, marginal analysis demonstrates that marginal costs increase when an organization, Government, becomes very large and more difficult to manage. Marginal benefits fall when consumption increases. Gee, that sounds just like the way our Government operates. Good point PrarieDog60, although not the one I think that you wanted to make. And while Ms. O'Donnell has the wand out maybe she can cast a spell to give Mr. Toles the artistic hipness of Andy Warhol and the incredible detail of Norman Rockwell. If she could accomplish that I am sure that she could take care of the problem that in 20 months President Obama has run up as much debt as President Bush did in eight years.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Tom, don't get discouraged (about your work, at least). bignoisy and bobbo can come in here everyday and post as many idiotic statements as they like, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they're still willfully ignorant. And for each one of their kind and their posted "observations", there are several of us checking out your toons and reading your rants, and quietly nodding and chuckling before moving on to our day.

Keep up the good work of making us laugh at things that are often very hard to laugh about. No matter your skill, some minds aren't changeable. As Plato observed so many centuries ago, some people are just more comfortable in the cave, watching shadows dancing on the wall (hmmm...much like Fox News appears on a big screen TV!), rather than stepping outside into the light.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | October 7, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

TOM YOUR WORK IS GREAT!

Sorry to shout, but I wanted to make sure that you see that.

And I agree with you: it is amazing that so many people in this country have been manipulated into voting against their own best interests--not just once, but multiple times!!!

I am reminded of the wisdom of George Carlin, who basically said that the GOP/Conservative Movement is totally cynical and does not care at all about the base that supports them at the polls (which they keep flogging onward with one hot-button issue after another). The GOP's only real purposes are 1) to get elected, and 2) to keep getting elected.

Keep rockin on!

Posted by: Rhino40 | October 7, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

You quoted me out of context, Tom.
Firstly, you conveniently failed to mention that I had pointed out that the elderly were taken care of long before the federal government invented Social Security.
Secondly, you failed to put my comments in the context of retiring at an arbitrary age (e.g., 55 for many public sector empoyees), when people are still fully able to work, i.e., not elderly and infirm.
That's why we're in the mess we're in today: Because "progressive" social policies have given people the impression that federal government spending is the solution to all our problems, and that some people are entitled to live off of others, because those "others" have more money.
The country is going to hell in a handbasket, because people have come to the realization that they can vote themsleves benefits from the public treasury, through "progressive" politicians who will do it to buy their votes.

Posted by: DirtFarmer1 | October 7, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, the solution for your dissatisfaction with your commenters is to drop this poor excuse for a blog- it's more of a "tweet' anyway- and stick with cartooning. You do that pretty well. Let the cartoons speak for themselves.

Posted by: hugmekatie | October 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Speaker Pelosi says that food stamps are the best bang for the buck. For every dollar in food stamp spending the economy gets back $1.79. Let's see, $1.00 in, $1.79 out? Sounds like Ms. Pelosi needs a basic course on economics spell cast on her.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 7, 2010 6:36 AM"

Actually, bobbo2, 'tis yourself who stands in need of a course on economics. A study of marginal analysis, in particular, would likely prove enlightening, I would imagine.

Posted by: Kevin71707 | October 7, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Last week when NBC was promoting its latest ratings strategy – the conclusion-free “Education Nation” – I kept expecting them to cite the state of the electorate as tangible evidence of America’s failure to act informed. They kept harping on the present-day schools and teachers and political types as the sinful partners-in-guilt. Test scores and dismal international rankings in math and science were repeated in glorious HD, but the talking heads neglected to produce the obvious: the serious concern about the present-day adult citizenry and the general cognitive shortfall. If we can allow ourselves to assume that the daily comments to TT’s rants and ravings are a microcosm of critical thought and mature thinkers in our nation – and let’s say that we can – the decline of the formal schooling system began well before Obama or Clinton, or even the GOP-convert Ronnie Reagan. After all, aren’t these commenters mostly the high school graduates of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s?

Posted by: dudeupnorth | October 7, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gurduloo | October 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Vote for me or I will turn you into a frog" does make a catchy campaign slogan.

Posted by: dataflunky | October 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Another phailure of me and my English teacher peers: Ability to identipfy metaphor--as in, especially, religious writings.
It's all metaphor, pholks!
(The pun-ishment never stops.)

Posted by: GeneTouchet | October 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Bobbo2 wrote:

__________________________________

Apparently you don't understand it from the viewpoint of stimulus -- you know? It takes money to make money?

And you might be interested to know that the Dept of Agriculture puts the return closer to $1.84 .

Posted by: CynicalC | October 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I used to joke that the world passes randomly in and out of a "stupid cloud" which floats through space. Acts of mass stupidity (election of Ronald Reagen, George Bush, etc) I blamed on the effect of the Stupid Cloud. It seems lately, that mass stupidity is increasing and spreading in the country. What now? Is it a stupid plague?

Posted by: FrankInKy
-------------
Looking at the current batch of GOP candidates I would say that Stupid Cloud is following us through space and they are some form of really stupid alien life that lives in it.

Posted by: dre7861 | October 7, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Here's the core problem. Whether they wish to admit it or not, everyone senses that a massive change in their standard of living is either here or coming. We are down to the bones of the hog and have removed every scrap of edible material but utterly failed to prepare ourselves to catch the next one. We are almost certain that there is no next one, as well. In addition, because we have done no planning and exerted no equalizing control, a few got lots of the hog and most got small pieces, and the most are pretty mad, now that the hog is gone. Sadly, they are not angry with themselves for allowing this to happen. Instead they are angry with the people who most recently should have been enforcing the rules.

The country is in a hangover and, reasonably, grabbing for more of what caused the hangover to begin with, like addicts do.

Posted by: elfpix | October 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

The Stupid Cloud increases in size and stays longer when climate change occurs. Sheesh, people, I thought everyone knew that! Brace yourselves for a long siege.

George -- WA

Posted by: gr321 | October 7, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankInKy | October 7, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

" I think there are some who don't want to understand climate science at all,.."

My suggestion is you entertain more options and more possibilities in our future - not less.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | October 7, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Unemployment? Perhaps Mr. Toles will believe Wikipedia where he ignores my efforts to inform him:

Lagging indicators
Lagging indicators are indicators that usually change after the economy as a whole does. Typically the lag is a few quarters of a year. The unemployment rate is a lagging indicator: employment tends to increase two or three quarters after an upturn in the general economy.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | October 7, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 7, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Democrat Congressman Phil Hare from Illinois said yesterday that the fact that this country is in debt and can't spend is really just a myth. Looks like someone needs to cast a reality spell on him.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 7, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Tom:

On creation of cartoons:

Dystopian world = your job is as easy as pie
Utopian world = your job is hard as hell

Be careful what you wish for!

Posted by: DougMUSN | October 7, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Tom, even the people who don't like you obviously can't wait to get to your page every day, thus paying your wages and giving you a continuing platform. And their comments are read by only a small number of people relative to your editorial cartoons which are often repeated around the country. So why don't you thank them for their kind support? They are helping us spread the liberal agenda - they are part of the conspiracy!

Posted by: moore_te | October 7, 2010 4:47 AM | Report abuse

"Lunch at midnight on Satan's Altar", we all know what that means and its not cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off and green tea.

We know that the practitioners of the old ways include both witches and warlocks and that the warlocks are male.

Perhaps Christine did have "Lunch at Midnight on Satan's Altar" as she has testified but she said she was with a witch, not a warlock.

Perhaps Miss O'Donnell is still "technically" a virgin. Pehaps she needs to describe "dabble" more precisely.

Just sayin', ya know!

Posted by: RandomArrow | October 7, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I wonder whatever happened to those pyramids that Democrat Senator Claiborne Pell used to keep on his desk? The pyramids that he thought provided mystical energy. No Mr. Toles, Christine O'Donnell is not you. She does not want anymore of the career politicians running this country into the ground with entitlement programs that aren't paid for. Young people of today have been exposed to many things. As kids they have dabbled in this or that. I read once that the average person has done something by the age of eighteen that would keep them from becoming President. Has Ms. O'Donnell dabbled in Communism? Nope. Has she promoted Socialism? Don't think so. The Democrats are flailing and don't know what to do. The preoccupation with Ms. O'Donnell is a prime example of that. How sad that the Democrats in California have nobody to run for Governor except former Governor Moonbeam. He is still a flake.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 6, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Don't get carried away. Alot of Americans thought the Kent State protesters had it coming, that the My Lai massacre was justified, and that the civil rights marchers were lawless rabblerousers.

We're slowly getting there. It's not a linear thing, and there will be hiccups, but that's only because a goodly portion of this country is insane (and always has been).

Posted by: simpleton1 | October 6, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Using Republican paranoia, perhaps Christine O'Donnell was planted by the Democrats to make Republican think she doesn't belong on the November ballot.

Posted by: Tony-KS | October 6, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

As I was traveling to an oasis recently, and enjoying the fall colors and that deep blue sky, a song from John Lennon came on the radio…My Love…and as I drove and listened to that song I could relate…that song rivals Imagine, just as my oasis rivals Monticello….just sayin’.

Oh and big noisy...still need have a lot of grass to mow yet......

Posted by: bertzel | October 6, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Senator Christine O'Donnell will be a breath of fresh air after 36 years of plagiarism and gaffes. Stand up Chuck..

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | October 6, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Burn her anyway!!

Posted by: will12 | October 6, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

"She turned me into a newt!"
"A newt?"
"I got better..."

You are ALL stark, raving mad. Although, absolutely hysterical, if it weren't so damn scary...

Posted by: pete1013 | October 6, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I liked the cartoon but the sketch actually made me laugh out loud.

I wish I could share your optimism that "this too shall pass" but I'm afraid it's just been getting worse and worse through the 90s and up to today. I mean sure there was mudslinging and dirty tricks but lately it's been outright insanity and denial of facts. I'm not even talking about just climate change here, I'm talking about everything. Literally everything! Wars, deficits, bailouts, health care, climate change, evolution(!), the very birthplace of our president. How did we get here? When did we become a country of conspiracy theorists constantly claiming our "opponents" are being manipulated by nefarious, powerful individuals with the goal of destroying our nation and way of life as we know it from the inside? Is this really what people believe? That somehow a universal health care bill gets passed and a religious-affiliated building is going to be built in Manhattan and next thing you know we're ruled by Sharia law under some kind of pseudo-Soviet socialist state? Seriously?

Was this what it was like in the early Cold War with McCarthy and all that jazz? Was it this way during the Civil War? Is it possible this is how it always has been and always will be and we just don't realize it or it's been magnified by the omnipresent media to the point it just can't be ignored now?

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | October 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

And Friday rants? What word do you use to describe the Monday through Thursday rants? Maybe you should reserve Fridays for a non-rant.

Posted by: skinnynomore | October 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

For a prospective senator, "I am not a witch" is setting the bar low. But for a prospective president, "articulate, good looking and CLEAN" set the bar on the ground.

Posted by: skinnynomore | October 6, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse