Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Gray area

By Tom Toles

c_12032010.gif
Friday rant: Left-brain workout

Am I a wild-eyed ideologue who has nothing good to say about the Republicans? Half true! But on Fridays I get to be wild-eyed, too, because it's RANT DAY!

So why all the fury at only one half of the broken and forlorn two-party behemoth? Here's why! Let's look at the nation's top problems and see which party is 100 percent opposed to solving them!

Unemployment at 9 percent: Can't have more stimulus of either the fiscal or monetary kind, because the GOP has whipped up their base into believing that the the deficit is more important!

The Deficit: Can't solve the deficit, because they have whipped up their base into believing that tax cuts for rich people are more important!

Climate Change: Can't reduce carbon emissions because they have whipped up their base to believe that scientists are all Three-card Monte dealers and circus clowns.

Health Care: Have to dismantle Obamacare and replace it with incoherence because they have whipped up their base to believe that Obama is Adolf Stalin, Commander of the Neptune Starfleet.

Gay Rights: Can't have those, because they have whipped up their base to believe that people who are different claim equal rights UNFAIRLY. Okay, no surprise there, the GOP has ALWAYS been like that.

The Democrats, mush-heads that they are, are willing to compromise on EVERYTHING. The GOP has whipped up their base to hate them for that, too. --Tom Toles
sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_12032010.gif

By Tom Toles  | December 3, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  DC, DC Vote
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Under the rug
Next: Jarring revelations

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

The notion that there is some noble and virtuous middle class that we should be giving money to is absurd. It is immoral. One is entitled to the fruits of one's own labors.
Posted by: GregS1

My Comment,
What you have posted is classic cookie cutter Conservative.
My opinion of conservatives is that they are self-centered, greedy, sociopathic liars who are going to hell in a bushel basket. They are destroying our nation.
When President Clinton left office we had a balanced budget and now we are trillions of dollars in debt and millions of people have been killed to accomplish nothing.
We are still plagued by fear and terrorists and the greatest fear is the collapse of our economy and social chaos.
The terrorists are winning because we are doing self-destruct thanks to the idiot conservatives.
There is nothing noble about stealing from the working people and giving to the greedy rich.
What is really ironic is that the rich do not want or need more money and it is the corrupt politicians that are making sure they get the hog’s share of the financing.
The working people are the people who make this nation great and provide the security and goods and services that everyone needs.
No worker is worth thousands of times more than any other worker. It is the government’s responsibility to make sure that there is justice and equity in the distribution of wealth. Otherwise, we have tyranny. We need everyone's effort to make this a great nation.
Poverty hurts everyone.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | December 5, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Toles is truly an unimaginative, cookie-cutter liberal.

Why is Toles getting worked up over global warming. Maybe global warming is a hoax, maybe it is not, maybe it will come true, or maybe not. There is one clear truth that we can all be certain of: Toles does not understand any of the science behind global warming, not one word of it. So why is Toles so certain of his position? Because it is the liberal position, and Toles is an ideologue first and foremost.

Tax cut? How can you call anything a tax "cut" without stating what it is a cut from? Define "rich" person, and explain why a "rich" person is somehow inherently less virtuous than a non-rich person.

The truth is that rich people work harder than non-rich people, and they plan better (which is another form of hard work and includes getting an education). Democrats push one agenda above all else and that is income redistribution.

The truth is that Obamacare is first and foremost an income redistribution program. Democratic economic policy consists of pitting lower income earners against higher income earners. It is really that simple. Tell the poor and middle class to vote for Dems so that can grab money that someone else earned, and make them feel that they deserve it because they are the deserving middle class.

Posted by: GregS1 | December 4, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

As someone once said, it is the economy, stupid. The real unemployment figure in our country is at 23 percent - not 9 percent. Our government even announced last Spring the recession is over.

Meanwhile, the price of gold is over $1,400 an ounce and the value of dollar is falling like a rock. What the government failed to announce is that we are in another great depression and inflation is rising.

Posted by: alance | December 4, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

~~~ We all need to stop being so divisive on this issue and try to do what is best for each other and not just ourselves... We the people will solve the problem when we are not worrying again.
Posted by: dalyplanet ~~~~

So, What do suggest is the best thing to do for all those who are out of work do to the 'just in our mind' crumbling job situation???? All those who must rely on something the state cannot afford to pay out?? Maybe we should bill Wall Street...think they'll pick up the tab???

Oh and when is it that we will EVER stop worrying??
Talk is cheap there daly....obviously it makes you feel better. Too bad you don't practice what you preach...for you have no answers except to put everyone to work on your crumbling metro. And for the sake of arguement, let's say we did that. Where is your metro system going to get money to pay not only for alllll the workers but also the supplies needed to fix your broken system??? Are they going to pull it out of their magic hat???

Posted by: bertzel | December 3, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh you silly angry name calling libs, can't we all just try to get along?

Unemployment INSURANCE is a state chartered single pay pool that is designed to pay 26 weeks or half a year for the math challenged here. When the Fed steps in and adds a year and a half to this it is no longer unemployment INSURANCE but English style, on THE DOLE. The Fed has no business in the states unemployment insurance. This is like you crash your crummy old Honda but the Fed steps in and pays triple what your insurance pays so you can get a new Audi with Quattro so you can be safer in the rain than with your old Honda and we can save lives and it's just nicer. How could anyone be against this policy? But this is not how the US works. Plus some states get 26 more weeks and some get 73, what's that about?

Bottom line the Fed should not be in the unemployment insurance biz and if they are going to pay lets put some folks on some of these 'shovel ready' projects that the unions don't have a lock on. Maybe DC Metro improvements might be a start.

Another thing you name calling whining conservative hating liberals, a lot of us who disagree with you can do math and can understand science and probably have progressed beyond accepting at face value the crap the liberal media spits out daily as fact that you all accept blindly as the new humanist religion to be followed.

Three, Dave is right when he says our economy is an invention or device and is not based in reality or gold. We all need to stop being so divisive on this issue and try to do what is best for each other and not just ourselves. There is common ground between us all regarding the economy and lobbing insults is not helping getting the 90% employed to stop stuffing money in the mattress and start spending again. We the people will solve the problem when we are not worrying again.

Posted by: dalyplanet | December 3, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

PDog, when I listed the beliefs about the unemployed below your post, I hope you realized that I don't believe them. I am unemployed now because my son got sick and I had to go on extended medical leave to take care of him. One conservative and wealthy old friend is there to step in when I'm desperate and he has helped me in many ways. My sister, a conservative Christian has also lent a helping hand. However, I do think that most Republicans find fault with the unemployed themselves and "blame the victim." I'm certain there are those who take advantage of the system, and there is no way I know of to eliminate that. However, my firm belief is that most people who were working before the economy tanked would much prefer to be working. I know I would.

Posted by: insightinc | December 3, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

How could you spend 10 minutes in econ 101 and not know how stimulus works? What socialism is? And simple economics like how unemployment is insurance, paid for by the people who are using it, and when they use it, it puts money into the system.
Posted by: commence

My Comment...
Distorting the truth and out right lies is a way of life for conservative Republican'ts. The truth is not in them.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | December 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I love the comments here about how the unemployed are lazy and whining because they want to stay on unemployed and collect more benefits. Have any of you ever BEEN on unemployment? I have. I got laid off about 6 years ago from a job I enjoyed. I saw it coming so started to look for another job long before it happened. It was my JOB to look for a job while I was unemployed. Luckily I was able to find one in only about 6 weeks after getting laid off. I figured I had maybe two more weeks of surviving on the meager income I got from unemployment before having to move in with my aging parents in another state. At that point I could have gotten some high-school-kid type job and maybe gone off unemployment. Yeah...flipping burgers and living with my parents at 44. Sweet! Where do I sign up??

To sum up, unemployment benefits allow you to stay alive. They do NOT allow for you to live a life of comfort and fun. Sure, if the job choice is part time at Burger King, unemployment probably is about equivilant. But no adult I've ever known has wanted to stay on unemployment versus getting a job that pays the bills.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | December 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Here are the underlying beliefs about the unemployed:

1) They are not working because they are lazy.

2) The free money they get will deter them from finding a job.

3) They deserve to be unemployed because they were bad workers.

4) I'm not unemployed because I work hard.

5) I deserve the money I earn and I shouldn't have to share it with others.

6) Unemployed people will stay that way as long as I keep paying them to do nothing.

7) Unemployed people waste their money and I don't.

8) I'm better because I have a job.

Posted by: insightinc | December 3, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Tom,
Reading the comments backwards today made better sense. Kudos to all. Burn the witch.

Posted by: zeprider | December 3, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

~~~Lol, spare me the whine. Fact is if you can't find a job in 99 weeks and need the taxpayer to take care of you for longer than that...the problem is more than likely you. In my field I talk with hundreds who have lost their jobs and most of them find work in a matter of weeks of searching. The fact is that the free lunch can not be paid indefinitely no matter how much the libs want to buy their base for continued votes for democrats who serve up said "free lunch programs.
Posted by: steelers01~~~

Lol…I will spare you the wine since you obviously can pay for your own. I would, however, be more than happy to share a bottle with someone who cannot afford to buy even a bottle of Boone’s Farm. Most likely the brand you indulge in by the comment you wrote. A family man of say 4-5 cannot support his family by working at Micky- Ds.
I take it you would prefer to see millions of homeless people wandering the streets instead of lending a helping hand UNTIL your REPUBLICAN Gurus magically create jobs which will employ all of these people so they can support their family, pay more tax dollars to offset the national debt thereby becoming once again a productive factor for our nation...nah…that would be the Left thing to do not the right…

Posted by: bertzel | December 3, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Go have yourself an Eskimo Pie, Tom. You're going to burst a blood vessel with all this anger and hatred swelling up inside your head.

Posted by: cfw730 | December 3, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Billybeer--

You stated:

"Liberal logic: unemployment benefits stimulate the economy so we need more unemployment benefits."

Conservative logic--if there is such a thing--is that stopping unemployment benefits for 1000s of people will create another road block for our improving economy, increasing the possibility that Obama might not win a second term. Who cares if these people lose their homes or families as a result.

If you want to piss on liberals for believing it is better for this country to continue supporting people who have fallen on hard times thanks to the excesses of others, let me be the first in line to get pissed on.

Joe H.
Stevensville, MD

Posted by: joeboe1 | December 3, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

How do you spell hypocrit? R E P U B L I C A N.

Posted by: COLEBRACKETT | December 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

www.change.org.
Go to Select.
Type in "Congressional Non Performance"
Read and sign the petition.

Posted by: nana4 | December 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The people who pay the bills cannot afford to have any more beer fests. We are on an Austerity program, remember? Time to impose a little austerity on the government and the ways and means in which they enjoy the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. Interesting that not one government dealing with "Austerity" has made any cuts that affect themselves: salaries, perks, benefits. They just cut all of that for the people they serve. What a novel, headlining, earth shattering story if the USA would address the costs for doing business in DC, which they have spent two years not doing and the next two undoing whatever managed to get done in the first two. Go to www.change.org. Go to Select. Type in "Congressional Non Performance" and sign the petition. It is totally bi-partisan. It is for Everyman.

Posted by: nana4 | December 3, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

steelers01 writes
"Fact is if you can't find a job in 99 weeks and need the taxpayer to take care of you for longer than that...the problem is more than likely you."

That's not a fact, but an opinion. Given that there are about 5 times as many unemployed as there are job openings, it doesn't make a lot of sense to solely blame the unemployed. In a recession like this one, people aren't just being fired for being incompetent, but because companies are going under, or closing factories & other facilities. One of my clients is undergoing a larger merger, and laying off thousands in the process. If there aren't other companies hiring, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to lay the blame at the feet of the laid off employees.

Posted by: bsimon1 | December 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Moral of the story is Democrats will do anything for votes even if takes keeping people non-producing,"
Posted by: billybeer6
------------
Right on one count, non-producing Republicans, but that;s an oxymoron, with emphasis on moron,

Posted by: pjohn2 | December 3, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

~~ Here's a start for you, unemployment benifits do not stimulate the economy.
Posted by: luvpool ~~~

You are sooo right luvpool it will not STIMULATE the economy but may keep it and those out of work afloat.
Money buys security and necessities not just greed. That I believe has to do with actual HUMANS.
-------------------------

Posted by: steelers01 | December 3, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

If there's anything the Repugs don't want, it's an educated voting public.

Posted by: GeneTouchet | December 3, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I love the Friday rant. That's not sarcasm, I really love it. Tom's comments are even better than his cartoons. I love all the righties the read Tom just to bait Liberals with their specious reasoning and stream of illogic. It reminds me of the "she's a witch" scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail. If you're not familiar, look it up on You Tube.

Posted by: B_Al_Zebub | December 3, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

What amazes me is that the dim-witted American voter can believe any of the non-solutions the Repubs propose (which is basically to oppose anything anyone proposes) or that the Repubs have deluded themselves into thinking they have a mandate to destroy the middle class with their all-for-the-rich proposals. If the dumb-Dems would stick with their party's philosophy(if they can recall what that might be) the two useless parties might get a big surprise in 2012. I myself am hoping that a new silly-whacko party appears and puts forth a candidate - America needs a realistic alternative.

Posted by: PlumHunter | December 3, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

OK. If the residents of the District of Columbia have just got to vote, let most of the District become Columbia County in Maryland. Then a few blocks around the White House and the Capitol will be the new District.

There is no way that this small of a parcel of land can be a state. It even makes Delaware look huge.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | December 3, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

You left out "Evolution is a science" in your rant. Republicans have whipped up their Christian base to believe evolution is a theory. Just how dumb can they be?

Posted by: quiensabe | December 3, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Beer math: if unemployment benefits stimulate the economy why does anyone need to work? burp.

Moral of the story is Democrats will do anything for votes even if takes keeping people non-producing, dumb and dependent. It's time for some tough love now that two years of unemployment benefits are ending. So the unemployed may have to pawn one of their big screens or relocate to find a job and the truly needy can seek help from one of the many atheist charities.

Posted by: billybeer6 | December 3, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree the deficit is a problem and I think we should immediate cut the Federal salaries and benefits to ZERO for each of the 535 representatives in Congress. The Congress SAYS they care about America...blah, blah, blah. They are truly tone deaf about what it is to be on the edge of the financial abyss. Strip their salaries, their benefits for five minutes and listen to the screaming. If you doubt this, harken back to the new Republican representative from MD winning on a platform of gutting health care who screamed bloody murder upon hearing HIS Congressional health care benefit would not begin for four weeks after joining Congress.

Infrastructure? No problem. The first city on the ropes to change its name to Kandahar will be inundated with cash for rebuilding.

Ok, we have a Republican controlled House. Now they need to use their new power first to get a heart and then a brain. So far we have the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion. I expect the flying monkeys next.

Posted by: DougMUSN | December 3, 2010 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and "whining"? What he has stated are facts as they relate to arguably the most important issues facing this country. If you can refute those facts, have at. If not, get out of the way.

Posted by: commence | December 3, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

So, you suggest what, give the reigns back to the massive incompetents who not only created the problem in the first place, but expend significant energy making sure that the problems are not resolved?

You can't lead, you won't follow, how about you just get out of the way.

Posted by: commence | December 3, 2010 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Your "rant" is mostly whining. As well, you rightly show an impotent Obama trying a beer summit while noting the success of the Republicans in defending their views. Face it, Obama has failed.

Posted by: MatthewWeaver | December 3, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

"People like you reduce politics to a football game - just turn off your brain and cheer for your team."

This line of reasoning never ceases to amaze me - Tom just gave you a litany of REASONS for his vitriol, did you read ANY of it?

The left presents arguments, the right ignores it, responds with "oh yeah?", then shuts down.

Oh, and Luvpool - there is no chance that you have a degree in economics, unless you missed the day they discussed... everything.

Posted by: commence | December 3, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Why do you even go through the trouble of producing crudely drawn cartoons? Why not just print a single panel every day reading, "Blue=Good, Red=Bad"?

Posted by: wpost16 | December 3, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: luvpoo

My Reply...
Spoken like a true sociopath.
You get the man without a heart tinman award of the century.

Unemployed people are a burden on the economy. If all of the workers were unemployed which is the objective of Republicorp, There would be no one to buy the products, pay the taxes, grow the food or transport the goods to the filthy rich.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | December 3, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

oh please, give it a rest.

Posted by: bertzel | December 2, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

President Obama is a Constitutional lawyer so he knows what he is doing. Just like his plan to cut Federal Government worker pay for the next 3 years. President Obama is the best leader this country has ever had.

Posted by: jornolibist | December 2, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a Hawaiian Punch any day : )

Posted by: bertzel | December 2, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

~~~ Here's a start for you, unemployment benifits do not stimulate the economy.
Posted by: luvpool ~~~

Posted by: bertzel | December 2, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Tom, you need to take an economics class. The dems hold and have held the purse strings for the last 4 years. They have tried every liberal (notice I avoided the more descriptive word socialist) economic theory out there. They have achieved the same level of success that every other liberal government has since the Soviets started using the same schemes in 1917. Yes I have taken my own advice and have a degree in Econ from an accredited university. Stop focusing on political parties and learn what works with actual humans. That is where we should be focused. Here's a start for you, unemployment benifits do not stimulate the economy.

Posted by: luvpool | December 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

As Jay Leno would exclaim, "Exactly"!

Posted by: lufrank1 | December 2, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

We shouldn't forget the Republican's obstruction of the New START Treaty, based on principle of course, and their opposition to extending unemployment benefits so that people can stay in their homes. Well, this is apparently exactly what the electorate voted for in the 2010 elections.

Posted by: ptgrunner | December 2, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

To Tom Toles...
Yep; it is all about naughty or nice.
The Republican'ts get a lump of coal in their stocking again this year.
Santa does not approve of stealing from the poor and giving to the rich not to mention killing innocent people and torturing people who are clueless.
The way things are going the Dumbocrats will get a lump of coal too for going along with the Republican'ts agenda.

Posted by: OckamsRazor | December 2, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Yo Tom,

Love the rant but you left out:

Infrastucture: Can't do that because we'd have to spend money even though it would be great for the 25% unemployment rate among construction workers and good for the deficit because the deficit doesn't count the 2 trillion dollars worth of infrastructure work that if completed would vastly improve American productivity and competitiveness.

Educated workers: Can't let those damn foreigners who get degrees here stay and be productive, must deport them...

Posted by: EarlyBird1 | December 2, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse